> Favorite Setting (4E)
Morghen
post Aug 1 2010, 05:38 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,145

Just that.

Of the published settings for 4E, what is your favorite?

Oh. And the why is probably important, too.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Aug 1 2010, 05:59 PM
Post #2

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Morghen @ Aug 1 2010, 11:38 AM) *
Just that.

Of the published settings for 4E, what is your favorite?

Oh. And the why is probably important, too.

Well, I have been running in Hong Kong for the past 2 Years (RL)... and I completely love it. It probably feeds from my time in the Orient as to why I like it so much, and I got very tired of Seattle after a while (to be fair, the majority of my 3rd Edition gaming was done in Detroit though)... I am very glad that the world is a much larger (Published) place in 4th Edition... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smokin.gif)

+Quote Post
Acme
post Aug 1 2010, 08:30 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,866

Well for 4e running, I've usually stuck to home ground in Seattle, but I've done some things I've done from older things. Seattle '72 is a great read, stroking a few ideas that I need to look into since I'm about to start a new campaign soon.

Also, reading how much Chicago has devolved completely is interesting, this Third World post-apocalyptic hovel in the middle of one of the most technologically advanced countries.

+Quote Post
Megu
post Aug 1 2010, 08:36 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,268

I very much like that they've expanded the scope of primary settings in 4e, but so far I haven't had a chance to take advantage of them. Some of the places I'd most like to play in never quite made the list. Ran a game set here in Minneapolis-St. Paul, in part because my players would recognize the neighborhoods and such, but a lot of my interests lie in Southeast Asia, so I'd love to do a game set in Saigon. I've toyed with doing something with Belfast or Detroit, as well.

Out of the published settings, though, I think the one I find most interesting looking is Nairobi. The whole space elevator spirit war drama looks like you could really do all sorts of things with it, and it gives the sprawl a very specific flavor. It still comes across as very distinctly African without the Dark Continent stuff that a lot of SR African fluff comes with, which is in my mind kind of a copout at best.

+Quote Post
Voran
post Aug 2 2010, 06:24 AM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 6,099

If I ever have an urge to play Escape from New York, Chicago feral city is definitely a place to do it. New York City on the other hand, i'm trying to figure out what its like. I'm looking over the Manhattan book an trying to figure out if its more Appleseed or Megacity (Judge Dredd). Though parts of it make me think Combine controlled Earth.

+Quote Post
The Dragon Girl
post Aug 2 2010, 06:32 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,410

LA! Been playing a long term game there for a while now

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Aug 2 2010, 07:02 AM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

Seattle of 2070.

But a guy in my group is talking about GMing a game in Denver. Just great, a dragon-controlled city!

With your SIN checked every two blocks by Customs Officials because you're crossing an international border!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Troysome
post Aug 2 2010, 07:04 AM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 18,619

Although my campaign has yet to start, I'm keeping it Seattle (until we start the "Dusk" and "Midnight" adventures) simply because we live only abougt 2 hours from Seattle and I think we'll enjoy that we know some of the places.

+Quote Post
BlueMax
post Aug 2 2010, 07:56 AM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 15,708

In order
Seattle
Denver
The Tir(Portland mostly)
Norcal
Chitown (once its Bug City)
Aztlan

Now that I am old, have kids and work... its great to have in depth material written. Cant be an overview and its certainly can't be "The Octopus Stations"

BlueMax

+Quote Post
Morghen
post Aug 5 2010, 07:16 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 16,145

Bumping because this is good stuff.

I'm trying to get my group to switch from what we're currently running to Shadowrun. I'm a 1E/2E guy (but haven't played more than a half-dozen times in the last 15 years). None of my group has ever played but they all know the "Cyberpunk and Magic Set in Seattle" thing.

I'm trying to sort of shake their expectations, I guess. Without knowing much about it, Denver intrigues me.

+Quote Post
The Dragon Girl
post Aug 5 2010, 07:25 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,410

Tir Na Nog is also fairly intriguing to me, I've done a lot of background stuff from there, but haven't gotten to do a run there yet (got one promised for the future)

+Quote Post
Bira
post Aug 5 2010, 09:35 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,768

QUOTE (Morghen @ Aug 5 2010, 04:16 PM) *
Bumping because this is good stuff.

I'm trying to get my group to switch from what we're currently running to Shadowrun. I'm a 1E/2E guy (but haven't played more than a half-dozen times in the last 15 years). None of my group has ever played but they all know the "Cyberpunk and Magic Set in Seattle" thing.

I'm trying to sort of shake their expectations, I guess. Without knowing much about it, Denver intrigues me.

Denver got a pretty boxed set dedicated to it during Second Edition. It's not yet dragon-controlled in 2055, but the borders are all there. The dragon bit happens in Year of the Comet, a SR3 supplement (in the year 2061).

+Quote Post
Abschalten
post Aug 5 2010, 10:47 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 7,655

I'm familiar with Seattle, but I'm so damn tired of it. I get queasy just thinking about it at times.

My favorite settings outside of Seattle are probably Hong Kong and Caracas. I ran a campaign a while back in Hong Kong that was very fun, and am currently doing one in Caracas -- while there isn't as much information on that city, it's still completely workable and fun.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:37 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.