IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What can the Ares Auxilia carry?, Can I stick a Shop in it?
Simon Kerimov
post Aug 12 2010, 04:11 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,806

$imon$ez:
Arsenal p121
"Ares Auxilia Mk3 (Tracked Military Backup Drone)
Military backup drones like the Auxilia have become a common sight in modern combat units. They are large, heavily armored, and intended to perform backup duties for combat platoons. Not armed themselves, they leave the battle to be fought by the soldiers, while being capable of transporting heavy weapons, ammunition, and equipment in armored bins, to reduce the weight carried by each individual soldier, thus enhancing the mobility of the whole platoon.
Similar Models: GM-Nissan Morlock, Shiawase Kei Std.
Upgrades: Special Storage (armored bins), Tracked Vehicle"
$imoff:

--$imon$ez is an opensource [Knowsoft]::code provided by TrnZhX--

How much crap can I stuff into one of these? Can I manage a shop? The Workshop modification only takes 1 slot, so I'm wondering if I can't fit 4 shops onto one of these large drones.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Aug 12 2010, 04:12 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

Where would you take/use such a beast? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say military drones are a fairly remarkable sight in even the worst parts of the Redmond Barrens.

Edited for correct diction.

+Quote Post
Simon Kerimov
post Aug 12 2010, 04:48 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Aug 11 2010, 11:12 PM) *
Where would you take/use such a beast? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say military drones are a fairly remarkable site in even the worst parts of the Redmond Barrens.

I don't disagree at all. Unless you were willing to go to a great deal of trouble and expense to disguise it, you wouldn't be using it in a town. It would be military gear.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Aug 12 2010, 05:00 AM
Post #4

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

A slot is not the same thing as cargo space (too bad Rigger 3 is obsolete), so try (I know it's hard) to exercise reasonableness when adding modifications. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Four workshops is in the 'silly' range. Just get a van or truck.

And I agree that you can't have one anyway. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Simon Kerimov
post Aug 12 2010, 05:33 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

$imon$ez:
Arsenal p145-145
"Special Machinery/Storage (All):
There are dozens of different types of special equipment that vehicles can mount, such as dozer blades, cranes, or cold storage to transport goods. This modification requires some gamemaster interpretation, but as a guideline the slot cost for a modification is approximately a quarter of the size of the modification itself (a large dozer blade may have a Body size of 8, for instance). External special machinery can also be modular, so it can be swapped with a Logic + Automotive Mechanic (10, 5 minutes) Extended Test.
A special cargo hold with specific requirements would have a slot cost of about a quarter the Body size of the goods that would fit inside it. Instead giving strict numbers, the gamemaster should adjust them as he needs them for his campaign."
$imoff:

Does this help? Because it seems to me like the writer just dodged saying anything. How does someone go about making up a Body attribute for something like this? I don't know of any non-vehicular gear that gives a Body. Maybe I'm just supposed to start connecting vehicles and drones together? A Large Drone has a body of 4, so can I burn 2 slots on each Drone and link them together? How about burning all 4 so I can make a giant sheet of Ares Auxilia's?

Unless I'm massively misreading this, it may take the cake for the worst written rule in Shadowrun 4th Ed. There's a whole pile of nothing in the FAQ and the Errata either.

This? This is me getting frustrated.

The noise you just didn't hear was my head exploding.

+Quote Post
Simon Kerimov
post Aug 12 2010, 06:06 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Actually....If I used the Centipede, and gave it one extra plug-in, I could build triangles.

$imon$ez:
Arsenal p117
"Toyota MK-Centipede (Search and Rescue Walker Drone)
Centipedes are the current standard for search and rescue drones. Each drone less than a foot long, working in large networks of tens or hundreds to scurry through wreckage looking for survivors or evidence of the cause of a disaster. To protect them from fire or caustic liquids they are heavily armored, though they are virtually useless in combat situations because of their slow movement. Once a drone has found something, it will call the rest of the drones of its network. Once there, adaptors at both ends of each Centipede allow them to dock and lock into each other, greatly enhancing their strength in lifting wreckage, bracing walls, and freeing those buried.
The basic STR of a single Centipede is 0. When physically joined, the network’s overall STR is equal to the number of Centipedes locked together (max. STR 10) for lifting, bracing and rescue purposes only.
Similar Models: NeoNet MRS-1000
Std. Upgrades: Special Armor Modification (Chemical Protection 4, Fire Resistance 4, Insulation 4), Walker Mode"
$imoff:

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Aug 12 2010, 07:43 AM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 98

The more workshops, the more sense it'd make to have them in one kit (honestly... a power drill from a Carpentry shop is the same tool you'd use in an Electrician shop).

I've worked in an auto shop. The amount of space a properly tricked-out auto shop takes up (keep in mind... that includes hydraulic lifts that can elevate cars and chain rigs that can lift engines out of same) is huge. In the SR sense (the same way they can't get the definition of an HMG straight) a Workshop and a Facility may involve not thinking about what actual people think of when those words come to mind... but if you're going to fit the amount of stuff you need into a Shop (in my mind, a place with the right tools, but not necessarily a huge selection of spare parts like you'd find in a Facility) you ain't transporting that shit on the back of an overgrown Red Wagon with treads and a tactical network presence.

+Quote Post
Simon Kerimov
post Aug 12 2010, 08:14 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (Shrike30 @ Aug 12 2010, 02:43 AM) *
The more workshops, the more sense it'd make to have them in one kit (honestly... a power drill from a Carpentry shop is the same tool you'd use in an Electrician shop).

I've worked in an auto shop. The amount of space a properly tricked-out auto shop takes up (keep in mind... that includes hydraulic lifts that can elevate cars and chain rigs that can lift engines out of same) is huge. In the SR sense (the same way they can't get the definition of an HMG straight) a Workshop and a Facility may involve not thinking about what actual people think of when those words come to mind... but if you're going to fit the amount of stuff you need into a Shop (in my mind, a place with the right tools, but not necessarily a huge selection of spare parts like you'd find in a Facility) you ain't transporting that shit on the back of an overgrown Red Wagon with treads and a tactical network presence.

So, kits are ok, but shops aren't so much happening. Alright, I can work with that.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Aug 12 2010, 12:06 PM
Post #9

Advocatus Diaboli

Simon, I dunno what happened with your headsplosion back there, but it's not that hard. Body still roughly corresponds to size: Body 6 is a small car, etc. There are some really odd exceptions, but it basically works. This is still subject to the 'is this reasonable?' rule. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
LurkerOutThere
post Aug 12 2010, 12:55 PM
Post #10

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,234

QUOTE (Simon Kerimov @ Aug 11 2010, 11:48 PM) *
I don't disagree at all. Unless you were willing to go to a great deal of trouble and expense to disguise it, you wouldn't be using it in a town. It would be military gear.

The question is why would anyone care? This is a game world where go gangs regularly take over parts of the interstate and ambush military patrols, I'm not sure why someone having an unarmed army suprlus drone hauling their stuff would even cause folks to miss a beat.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Aug 12 2010, 02:26 PM
Post #11

Advocatus Diaboli

It's more recognizable than a van, that's all. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Obviously, it depends on the 'town'.

+Quote Post
Johnny B. Good
post Aug 12 2010, 02:27 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,876

Long story short: Don't buy a military vehicle. Steal a garbage truck. Chuck all of the machinery inside and put a shop in the back.

Bonus points: Mount an internally concealed tank cannon on the top.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Aug 12 2010, 02:44 PM
Post #13

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

I'm wondering why a Shop is merely Capacity 1 cost, rather than, say, Capacity 12 or something.

+Quote Post
LurkerOutThere
post Aug 12 2010, 02:47 PM
Post #14

Runner

Member No.: 17,234

Mmmmmmm garbage truck urban tanks. I think I'm stealing this idea now

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Aug 12 2010, 03:03 PM
Post #15

Advocatus Diaboli

It's Mod-Capacity 1. You still have the ability to tweak the engine, add armor, buff the sensors, etc.

SR4 doesn't have Cargo Factors, and mod slots don't really match up to space. :/ I guess the GM/players must control themselves. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Johnny B. Good
post Aug 12 2010, 03:28 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Aug 12 2010, 04:03 PM) *
It's Mod-Capacity 1. You still have the ability to tweak the engine, add armor, buff the sensors, etc.

SR4 doesn't have Cargo Factors, and mod slots don't really match up to space. :/ I guess the GM/players must control themselves. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

C'monnnnn... You know you want to load in a hidden tank cannon with all of that extra space. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif)

+Quote Post
sabs
post Aug 12 2010, 03:37 PM
Post #17

Prime Runner

Member No.: 18,649

well but you have mod-slots=body
This is why I can stuff 20 mods into a Bus, but only 10 into a car.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Aug 12 2010, 03:42 PM
Post #18

Advocatus Diaboli

Right. They don't really match up, but they're sort of trying to. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Some things have +4 slots, but that doesn't mean they're twice as big (or 50% larger, etc.).

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Aug 12 2010, 07:17 PM
Post #19

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

They could have added a "must have a minimum Body of X to install this modification" on the really bulky ones.

As it is by the written rules I can install a Shop into a Dragonfly micro-drone. Which of course is ridiculous.

+Quote Post
Johnny B. Good
post Aug 12 2010, 07:30 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Aug 12 2010, 08:17 PM) *
They could have added a "must have a minimum Body of X to install this modification" on the really bulky ones.

As it is by the written rules I can install a Shop into a Dragonfly micro-drone. Which of course is ridiculous.

You're right, there probably should be a rule for minimum body requirements. If a GM allows things like a shop in a spyfly, god help his players.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Aug 12 2010, 07:46 PM
Post #21

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

QUOTE (Johnny B. Good @ Aug 12 2010, 02:30 PM) *
You're right, there probably should be a rule for minimum body requirements. If a GM allows things like a shop in a spyfly, god help his players.

"OK, it's installed." "Excellent. So, I pull out the wrenches." "What wrenches? The only thing you could fit into the body was a Swiss Army Knife. One of the smaller ones. So you have a knife, a standard screwdriver, and a pair of scissors. Oh, and the toothpick." "Yeah, because a toothpick is so damned useful on a Shadowrun! Damnit!"

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Aug 12 2010, 08:02 PM
Post #22

Advocatus Diaboli

Well, a spyfly couldn't have it anyway; it's a Standard Mod. (Oh snap, KarmaInferno! Hehe.)

But, you could probably try to put one in a motorcycle or something. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) There are min-Body rules for things like turrets and heavy guns.

+Quote Post
sabs
post Aug 12 2010, 08:11 PM
Post #23

Prime Runner

Honestly a Shop should not be available on a vehicle with less than 20 body.

IE:
Vista, Patrol Ship, That big honking helicopter.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Aug 12 2010, 08:13 PM
Post #24

Advocatus Diaboli

Well, what are those vans that locksmiths drive around in? Or various other mobile repair/technician guys? It's pretty big for a toolkit. :/ Hmm.

+Quote Post
sabs
post Aug 12 2010, 08:18 PM
Post #25

Prime Runner

But it's not really a full shop either.

I suspect it really depends on the technical profession.
And, I'd be okay with dropping that to say Body 16 (which is the body of a bulldog)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 03:34 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.