Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Indirect Illusions, And resisting their effects
Neon Tiger
post Mar 3 2004, 11:39 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,497

When resisting indirect illusions like Hot Potato and Foreboding, it seems that the targets actually get two resistance tests. First they resist with Intelligence, and after that, they get another with Willpower. Or please correct me if I'm wrong.

And an example of how these spells work would also be appreciated.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Mar 3 2004, 05:08 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

That's a good question.

In this case the spell resistance test is the first one, and the second one determines the effects of the spell. I.e. if you don't resist Hot Potato with your Intelligence, you're fooled by the illusion and feel the burning sensation no matter what your Willpower roll is. The Will roll just determines whether or not you can keep hold of the metal.

Foreboding is the same way except that there seem to be no rules-based penalties for failing the Int roll but passing the Will roll. The character is fooled by the illusion and just feels kinda panicky and that's all. Kind of lame, IMO, but that's life.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Mar 3 2004, 05:13 PM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

Indirect illusions and directed physical illusions are resisted by intelligence. There is no willpower roll in those cases.

+Quote Post
Neon Tiger
post Mar 3 2004, 05:30 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,497

QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
Indirect illusions and directed physical illusions are resisted by intelligence. There is no willpower roll in those cases.

Please review the spell descriptions for Hot Potato and Foreboding and say there isn't a mention of an Opposing Willpower Test.

About the spells, so if the mage gets 5 successes, target gets 2 successes on Intelligence test, and if he after that gets at least 3 successes in the Willpower test, he does not drop metallic things or suffer penalties? That's how I understand it.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Mar 3 2004, 05:41 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Neon Tiger)
About the spells, so if the mage gets 5 successes, target gets 2 successes on Intelligence test, and if he after that gets at least 3 successes in the Willpower test, he does not drop metallic things or suffer penalties? That's how I understand it.

Almost. He won't drop metallic things, but he will still suffer penalties from the burning sensation he feels. Remember, he is still affected by the spell since he didn't resist it with Intelligence. The Willpower roll just tells you if he can stand the pain enough to hold metal.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Mar 3 2004, 08:08 PM
Post #6

Runner

QUOTE (Neon Tiger)
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm @ Mar 3 2004, 07:13 PM)
Indirect illusions and directed physical illusions are resisted by intelligence.  There is no willpower roll in those cases.

Please review the spell descriptions for Hot Potato and Foreboding and say there isn't a mention of an Opposing Willpower Test.

Indeed, those spells state an explicit secondary test. It does specifically say that the second test is taken after the resistance test if the targets want to fight the spell effect.

Not spells I've found a use for.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Mar 3 2004, 09:41 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
Not spells I've found a use for.

Hot Potato is awesome, though. :)

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Mar 3 2004, 09:48 PM
Post #8

Runner

QUOTE (Zazen)
Hot Potato is awesome, though. :)

Well, it did look cool when Gandalf cast it at Aragorn in Two Towers...
but if I'm going to disable the target, stunball or thunderclap work better most of the time.

+Quote Post
broho_pcp
post Mar 3 2004, 09:57 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,054

Yeah, but hot potato has a better name than stunball. Any if I've learned anything in SR it is that the best names = the most fun to cast. Whether they are effective or not.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Mar 3 2004, 09:59 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

I quicken it in areas of NPC magical group hideouts and bug lairs and stuff. They don't need metal anywhere near as much as an intruder would.

+Quote Post
John Campbell
post Mar 4 2004, 12:59 AM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 3,581

I've been thinking about setting up an anchoring focus with Foreboding linked to a Detect Intruder spell to use as a burglar alarm. Even if the Foreboding doesn't drive the intruder away, the fact that it triggered will instantly alert me to the intrusion, wherever I may be, and it's non-damaging, so it won't cause potential problems the way, say, Manaballing trespassers would.

+Quote Post
simonw2000
post Mar 4 2004, 10:53 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,491

Not bad, man! Not bad! :)

+Quote Post
toturi
post Mar 4 2004, 11:59 PM
Post #13

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (John Campbell)
I've been thinking about setting up an anchoring focus with Foreboding linked to a Detect Intruder spell to use as a burglar alarm. Even if the Foreboding doesn't drive the intruder away, the fact that it triggered will instantly alert me to the intrusion, wherever I may be, and it's non-damaging, so it won't cause potential problems the way, say, Manaballing trespassers would.

Can we say haunted house? :D

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:18 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.