Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Indirect Illusions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Neon Tiger
When resisting indirect illusions like Hot Potato and Foreboding, it seems that the targets actually get two resistance tests. First they resist with Intelligence, and after that, they get another with Willpower. Or please correct me if I'm wrong.

And an example of how these spells work would also be appreciated.
Zazen
That's a good question.

In this case the spell resistance test is the first one, and the second one determines the effects of the spell. I.e. if you don't resist Hot Potato with your Intelligence, you're fooled by the illusion and feel the burning sensation no matter what your Willpower roll is. The Will roll just determines whether or not you can keep hold of the metal.

Foreboding is the same way except that there seem to be no rules-based penalties for failing the Int roll but passing the Will roll. The character is fooled by the illusion and just feels kinda panicky and that's all. Kind of lame, IMO, but that's life.
Herald of Verjigorm
Indirect illusions and directed physical illusions are resisted by intelligence. There is no willpower roll in those cases.
Neon Tiger
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
Indirect illusions and directed physical illusions are resisted by intelligence. There is no willpower roll in those cases.

Please review the spell descriptions for Hot Potato and Foreboding and say there isn't a mention of an Opposing Willpower Test.

About the spells, so if the mage gets 5 successes, target gets 2 successes on Intelligence test, and if he after that gets at least 3 successes in the Willpower test, he does not drop metallic things or suffer penalties? That's how I understand it.
Zazen
QUOTE (Neon Tiger)
About the spells, so if the mage gets 5 successes, target gets 2 successes on Intelligence test, and if he after that gets at least 3 successes in the Willpower test, he does not drop metallic things or suffer penalties? That's how I understand it.

Almost. He won't drop metallic things, but he will still suffer penalties from the burning sensation he feels. Remember, he is still affected by the spell since he didn't resist it with Intelligence. The Willpower roll just tells you if he can stand the pain enough to hold metal.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Neon Tiger)
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm @ Mar 3 2004, 07:13 PM)
Indirect illusions and directed physical illusions are resisted by intelligence.  There is no willpower roll in those cases.

Please review the spell descriptions for Hot Potato and Foreboding and say there isn't a mention of an Opposing Willpower Test.

Indeed, those spells state an explicit secondary test. It does specifically say that the second test is taken after the resistance test if the targets want to fight the spell effect.

Not spells I've found a use for.
Zazen
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
Not spells I've found a use for.

Hot Potato is awesome, though. smile.gif
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Zazen)
Hot Potato is awesome, though. smile.gif

Well, it did look cool when Gandalf cast it at Aragorn in Two Towers...
but if I'm going to disable the target, stunball or thunderclap work better most of the time.
broho_pcp
Yeah, but hot potato has a better name than stunball. Any if I've learned anything in SR it is that the best names = the most fun to cast. Whether they are effective or not.

Zazen
I quicken it in areas of NPC magical group hideouts and bug lairs and stuff. They don't need metal anywhere near as much as an intruder would.
John Campbell
I've been thinking about setting up an anchoring focus with Foreboding linked to a Detect Intruder spell to use as a burglar alarm. Even if the Foreboding doesn't drive the intruder away, the fact that it triggered will instantly alert me to the intrusion, wherever I may be, and it's non-damaging, so it won't cause potential problems the way, say, Manaballing trespassers would.
simonw2000
Not bad, man! Not bad! smile.gif
toturi
QUOTE (John Campbell)
I've been thinking about setting up an anchoring focus with Foreboding linked to a Detect Intruder spell to use as a burglar alarm. Even if the Foreboding doesn't drive the intruder away, the fact that it triggered will instantly alert me to the intrusion, wherever I may be, and it's non-damaging, so it won't cause potential problems the way, say, Manaballing trespassers would.

Can we say haunted house? biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012