IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SR2 and Gaming Heresy! (or SR2 gets Wireless)
tete
post Aug 24 2010, 05:27 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,139

So as many of you know I'm starting a new group up on SR2 in 3 weeks and I was thinking of adding in wireless. I know, I know, its wrong but frankly I think I like it. My thought is to just change the sensor distance from being in the matrix only to apply as a wireless signal. Not everything would be wireless, it would be more like today with some wireless but anything secure is on a hardline. Thoughts? Ideas? I know there are the SR3 rules I could borrow from but as I am not using VR2.0 I'm not sure how easy it would be to import.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cheops
post Aug 24 2010, 05:37 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 392

When I was considering using SR3 instead of 4 for my current game I actually thought of just handwaving the rules away. "Everything is wireless now with no limits to bandwidth and increases to TN -- programs not required." Then just use the MIJI rules for electronic warfare.

+Quote Post
Kruger
post Aug 24 2010, 05:46 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,877

Wireless connectivity was never the problem. They had rules for Wireless in SR3 and it would have only taken a little bit of tweaking to make them more in line with "realistic" technology progression. It was how it was implemented in SR4 that irritated a lot of people.

+Quote Post
Platinum
post Aug 24 2010, 06:26 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 1,115

Personally I can see a wireless layer, but you would need to subscribe to it. I can see augmented reality filters / tagging, etc being widespread. For instance, if you are walking down the street using your AR headset, you can get tonnes of adverts from stores, advertising their wares/catalogue.

Also some people would be broadcasting some personal information. For instance a female advertising SWF L 4 STR.

Personally, I would assign half the penalties of using a satellite link, because of the extra encryption, signal noise/filtering, and routing through multiple towers, that is required for using wireless over a jackpoint. There is a bonus, in that your detection factor could get harder if there decker was smart and had a setup that leveraged multiple towers, spoofing their position by causing random delays in signals making triangulation less effective. I would not have bandwidth as a factor, as I think that speeds will drastically improve.

There are satellite, laser, and wireless links that already exist in the game. I think there is a +2 penalty for satellite.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:56 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.