Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nodes, Nexi, Persona Limits, Need some clarification
Krojar
post Aug 30 2010, 05:33 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,986

As I continue to read and absorb more of 4th edition I've had some trouble quite grasping some aspects of the new Matrix, which is a shame because I like the concept of AR and the evolution of "Web 2.0" they've done.

My biggest issue is figuring out how Nodes and how they work in a broader context. I get that a node is just about any server/commlink connected to the Matrix. My question is, why are persona limits on Nodes so low? I mean, the MAX a single Nexus can hold is fifty personas, a tiny number considering the massive amount of data going throughout the Matrix. Unless I'm not understanding it correctly, which I'm assuming I'm not, a node is the equivalent to a website and having only a dozen users or so being able access it without slowing down harkens more to the 1980s rather than the 2070s. Is there an example of a large system (like Jackpoint) in one of the modules because I'm starting to get frustrated as this is the most difficult nut to crack for me understanding the way Matrix 2.0 runs.

This post has been edited by Krojar: Aug 30 2010, 05:34 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Aug 30 2010, 05:36 PM
Post #2

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

The persona limit is not about inbound persona, but about how many people can use the nexus to project a persona out onto the matrix.

Inbound persona is counted against the subscriptions limit, iirc.

Oh, and never ever confuse SR with real life + 50 years. SR computing had a major reset during crash 1.0, and even before that diverged from out timeline and thinking around the 80s or 90s (so no EFF, FSF or similar).

+Quote Post
Krojar
post Aug 30 2010, 05:39 PM
Post #3

Target

Ah ha! That makes WAY more sense! And no, I don't expect rl computing to EVER match Shadowrun, but it's an interesting "mirror" of our own with the concept of wireless and social networking. At least, I think so.

+Quote Post
DWC
post Aug 30 2010, 05:45 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 13,526

Also, don't forget that nexi can be clustered to combine their persona and processor limits into nodes with astronomical numbers of personas and subscriptions.

+Quote Post
Krojar
post Aug 30 2010, 05:47 PM
Post #5

Target

So, for instance, my character is running an AR-enhanced Matrix club with a capacity of 150 plus 50 staff (total of 200). Would seven NeoNet Office Genies (or equivalent) be about right?

+Quote Post
Simon Kerimov
post Aug 30 2010, 05:56 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,806

There are 3 types of nodes: Nexi, Commlinks, and Peripheral nodes. Nexi can be identified by having a Persona Limit larger than 1. Commlinks are defined by having a Response, Signal, System, and Firewall stat. Peripheral nodes are identified as having a Device Rating.

The Nexi has a Persona Limit of 20. Personas are Constructs (Unwired p51). Constructs are any program that can be a container for runnable programs. This includes the user persona (let's call it an Avatar to avoid confusion) or B) an autonomous program utilizing a Pilot (AI decision making program), usually called an Agent.

When two nodes, let's call them Alice and Bob, are talking, they are Subscribed to each other. Any node has a Subscription limit of System*2. For most Matrix actions, Alice and Bob can talk using Data Requests (Unwired p54). However, if Alice wants to use one of Bob's Programs (as opposed to one of her own), that requires an additional Subscription. There are a number of other actions that require Subscriptions (Unwired p55).

Slaving your smartlink to your commlink is a way of connecting 2 nodes (a peripheral and a commlink) into a single Area Network. Clustering is a way to combine a number of nodes into a larger node with some special rules (Unwired p55).

I think I got off track there a little bit. To answer your question: Data requests don't take much time, so you can treat a Nexi has being able to have an infinite list of subscriptions, but only Persona Limit*2 of these can be active at any moment. It can also host up to Persona Limit autonomous Agents (so the hacker can send an Agent to read up on Futurama episodes while still playing overwatch for the team) + Avatars (the Librarian and the Security Hacker, for instance).

+Quote Post
TommyTwoToes
post Aug 30 2010, 06:00 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,454

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Aug 30 2010, 01:36 PM) *
The persona limit is not about inbound persona, but about how many people can use the nexus to project a persona out onto the matrix.

Inbound persona is counted against the subscriptions limit, iirc.

Oh, and never ever confuse SR with real life + 50 years. SR computing had a major reset during crash 1.0, and even before that diverged from out timeline and thinking around the 80s or 90s (so no EFF, FSF or similar).

Not only this, but as bandwidth / capability increase so too does user demand. I remember gaming online (text based MUDs) 15 years ago on a 2400 baud modem and having exactly the same level of frustration at my bandwidth limit as I do now with broadband.
Just thinking about how much bandwidth would be needed for simsense makes my soyteeth ache. There was a direct TV comercial that had a executive saying that they should run a comercial stating that their competion's High Def was running in 1,000,000p. You might run into such nonsense in SR.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Aug 30 2010, 06:54 PM
Post #8

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Simon, you're not *quite* right on all those details, at least in terms of technical labels. I'm not saying you're confused, but I think your post could confuse others. I'm going to rephrase a little, so forgive repetition:

All nodes have hardware (Response, Signal) and OS (System, Firewall) stats, and there are three kinds of nodes (nexus, commlink, and peripheral). Nexi are big multi-user units with big Processor Limits; peripherals are just wireless-enabled miscellaneous devices (smartlink, fridge, RFID underwear, sensors; basically anything).

All nodes have Persona Limit and Processor Limit (effectively, # of running programs).

Persona Limit: as hobgoblin pointed out, the only thing this means is the number of users getting *online* from the node; nothing to do with incoming connections *from* the Matrix. For commlinks and peripheral nodes, this is 1 (note that peripheral nodes really can't even support 1 'typical user' in the first place, because of their limitations; they "have no Persona firmware", and can only run programs they're designed for). Agents are *not* personas and do not count toward this limit (personas are constructs, agents are constructs, but not all constructs are personas. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) )

Subscription Limit: this is a *per-Persona* limit, not a per-node limit. For commlinks, it's the same thing, but not for nexi. A nexus can logically have (Persona Limit)*(System) subscriptions active, because the limit is always (System) subscriptions per Persona. Note that you can exceed this limit; each extra subscription simply counts toward the Processor (running programs) Limit.

Also, slaving is just a security measure, forcing a (any) node to only listen to another (master) node, and ignore (basically) all other connections. It is not a requirement for a PAN or anything.

+Quote Post
Inca
post Aug 30 2010, 07:59 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 18,633

Also remember that the most common accesses to nodes are data requests, and those have no limit. So essentially you can imagine that the equivalent amount of interactions that in RL we do with a "website" would all be done through data requests without ever having to subscribe to a node. It's when you want to start reprogramming things on the node and other more involved tasks. Correct me if i'm wrong though, but I don't see any limit mentioned in the core rulebooks for how many persona's can be subscribed to a given node. I only see a limit to how many subscriptions to different nodes a given persona can have. When I subscribe to a node, i'm pretty sure that doesn't also mean that that node is subscribed to me. So essentially, as long as every persona is running off of a person's individual commlink, then if they all subscribe to a given node in the matrix, there is no limit to how many persona's can be "in" the node. Now if you want to run your persona and all your programs using the processor associated with that node, then there is a limit to how many persona's and programs that processor can handle. Someone please correct me if I have misunderstood the rules.

+Quote Post
Simon Kerimov
post Aug 30 2010, 10:30 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,806

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Aug 30 2010, 12:54 PM) *
Agents are *not* personas and do not count toward this limit (personas are constructs, agents are constructs, but not all constructs are personas.

Ok, my head hurts. Lets see if I can't puzzle this all out.

NODE
ATTRIBUTES
Response
Signal
System
Firewall

Access ID
Persona Limit
Processor Limit

PERSONA
Access ID
Subscription Limit

Personas are Constructs, all Constructs require a Subscription, only Personas have Subscriptions, so a Persona has to Subscribe to itself? Agents only count against the Persona Limit when they are running autonomously, otherwise they are Subscribed to a Persona?

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Aug 31 2010, 01:14 AM
Post #11

Advocatus Diaboli

Nope, your 'local' persona doesn't require a subscription; it's local. *Sending* your persona somewhere else (technically, your icon?) does. Agents never count toward Persona Limit. Agents do require a subscription if you're controlling them remotely.

Inca, that sounds about right. Like you, I'm not sure if there's an 'incoming subscription' limit. I do think that a subscription between me and my drone counts for both of us, but I'm not sure if that logically works for the wider Matrix. If it did, the possibility of DDoS attack via subscription-filling would be a possibility, and that could be a problem (or, work fine; I'm not sure). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) In the absence of other info, go with the simpler option: unlimited incoming subscriptions.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Aug 31 2010, 01:59 AM
Post #12

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Aug 30 2010, 07:14 PM) *
Nope, your 'local' persona doesn't require a subscription; it's local. *Sending* your persona somewhere else (technically, your icon?) does. Agents never count toward Persona Limit. Agents do require a subscription if you're controlling them remotely.

Inca, that sounds about right. Like you, I'm not sure if there's an 'incoming subscription' limit. I do think that a subscription between me and my drone counts for both of us, but I'm not sure if that logically works for the wider Matrix. If it did, the possibility of DDoS attack via subscription-filling would be a possibility, and that could be a problem (or, work fine; I'm not sure). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) In the absence of other info, go with the simpler option: unlimited incoming subscriptions.

Subscriptions are Two-way communications protocols, so yes, if you subscribe to a Node, it uses one of its subscriptions to communicate with you (and there are only 6 Cases that actually use up a Subscription Slot). Because it establishes two way communication, you need a subscription on both sides... an example of this is used when describing an Encrypted Signal; you Need to encrypt the subscription from BOTH sides of the conection, and since it requires it on both sides, it must use a subscription slot for both machines. (See 2nd Paragraph, Decryption Heading, Page 66, Unwired)

The vast number of things that you use your comlink for are simple Data requests, and you have an unlimited number of such connections. A great deal of traffic/control in the real world is actually handled as a Data Request in Shadowrun. See Pages 54-55 in Unwired for the distinction of what things take up Subscriptions and what do not...

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Aug 31 2010, 02:07 AM
Post #13

Advocatus Diaboli

I think someone mentioned that earlier, Tymeaus, but you're right: subscriptions are only required for certain things.

While it's obvious that subscriptions are two-way, the question is how do 'incoming' subscriptions affect a given node? The reason for the confusion is because Subscription Limit is a Persona feature, not a node feature. We can assume that a drone's Pilot counts as a Persona (even though we know it's not a persona); for nexi, it's even more unclear. Commlink-to-Commlink is the only situation that we can really be sure of.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Aug 31 2010, 02:17 AM
Post #14

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

as for DDOS, thats why a spider can block a accessid from gaining access.

or perhaps even by default deny all accessid's not on a specific list from gaining access (and that's when the hacker breaks out his spoof to set the accessid to one of them).

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Aug 31 2010, 02:25 AM
Post #15

Advocatus Diaboli

Right, move and countermove; as long as it's balanced, that's fine. It's not clear to me what rules would even be involved in such a situation, though: what's the Subscription Limit of a node with the paydata on it? There's not necessarily a good answer to that.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Aug 31 2010, 02:27 AM
Post #16

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Aug 30 2010, 08:07 PM) *
I think someone mentioned that earlier, Tymeaus, but you're right: subscriptions are only required for certain things.

While it's obvious that subscriptions are two-way, the question is how do 'incoming' subscriptions affect a given node? The reason for the confusion is because Subscription Limit is a Persona feature, not a node feature. We can assume that a drone's Pilot counts as a Persona (even though we know it's not a persona); for nexi, it's even more unclear. Commlink-to-Commlink is the only situation that we can really be sure of.

Sure, because Comlink to Comlink is the norm...

However... Nexi are run just like Standard Nodes, with only a few changes... First and Foremost, a Nexus' Processor Limit (The Number of Programs it can run simultaneously) is a range from 10 to 50... This is a Hard limit, and is not per persona... Nexi get to ignore the standard Node restrictions on processor limit (which normally is equal to Response). Secondly, it can have multiple Personae, which Standard Nodes cannot. They can have up to System x3 in Persona. And lastly, the Nexus' "System" is not capped by its Response. It still follows every other rule, including the number of Subscriptions that it possesses. (See Unwired, Page 50).

The big benefit of Nexi is greatly increased Persona and Processor Limits. Clustering a Bunch of Nexi together allows for truly astronomical amounts of Persona and Processor Limit (Should you really care, as incomming connections do not really matter, as they are usually Data Requests). However, this will not increase its Subscription limits. There are, of course, other ways to increase the number of Subscriptions you could use, but many do not bother, as the vast number of things that a system will handle are Data Requests... when you need a subscription, you just grab one for the short time you need and release it again... And on the odd chance that you exceed your subscription limit, you just eat into the Processor Limit... no big deal really.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Aug 31 2010, 02:29 AM
Post #17

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Aug 30 2010, 08:25 PM) *
Right, move and countermove; as long as it's balanced, that's fine. It's not clear to me what rules would even be involved in such a situation, though: what's the Subscription Limit of a node with the paydata on it? There's not necessarily a good answer to that.

The limit is what it needs to be to do its job, and absolutely no more than that... But, Just because a Subscription limit has been reached, it does not mean that further subscriptions are denied... they just begin to eat into the processor limit... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smokin.gif)

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Aug 31 2010, 02:40 AM
Post #18

Advocatus Diaboli

That's the point: it's not a DDOS until you start sludging the processor. Eating into processor limit is a huge deal; *the* whole point. It can't do that unless you know the limit, and you can't know the limit because Limit is a Persona attribute, not a node one. I mentioned earlier that you can multiply out the Persona Subs. Limit by the number of Personas the Nexus supports, but that's technically not what the rules are talking about; that's why I asked.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Aug 31 2010, 02:44 AM
Post #19

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Aug 30 2010, 08:40 PM) *
That's the whole point: it's not a DDOS until you start sludging the processor. It can't do that unless you know the limit, and you can't know the limit because Limit is a Persona attribute, not a node one.

No, The Processor Limit, Persona Limit and Subscription Limit are all Hardware (They have nothing to do with individual personae)... You want to run a DDOS, you send a Hundred Subscription connections to the target node and see what happens, if it does not stop accepting subscriptions, send another hundred in, eventually, you will DDOS the System...

A Nexus with System of 10, Response 8, and a Processor Limit of 50 will take a Lot of subscriptions... Potentially as many as 420 (or so) before response is 0.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Aug 31 2010, 02:53 AM
Post #20

Advocatus Diaboli

Where does it list Subscription Limit in the hardware?

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Aug 31 2010, 03:06 AM
Post #21

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Aug 30 2010, 08:53 PM) *
Where does it list Subscription Limit in the hardware?

Subscription Limit is a Limit imposed by System Rating (Software, but Device Attribute nonetheless) which is capped by Response (Hardware, and also a Device Attribute). Thus, Hardware limited. For a Nexus, Subscription Limits are still System x 2... It does not change from that of a Standard Node. What does change is the vast number of Processor Limit which is drawn upon once Subscription limit has been filled on a Nexus (System no longer has to be equal or less than Response either). A Standard Node (Comlink) with 6's across the board can have 47 Subscriptions before its Response is reduced to 0, barring any other running programs at the time (Which will limit on a one to one basis)... a Nexus can have 10 times that... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Aug 31 2010, 03:10 AM
Post #22

Advocatus Diaboli

I asked where. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) My references say that subscription limit is derived from System, yes, and *per Persona* (as I mentioned a few times).

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Aug 31 2010, 03:18 AM
Post #23

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Aug 30 2010, 09:10 PM) *
I asked where. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) My references say that subscription limit is derived from System, yes, and *per Persona* (as I mentioned a few times).

So where is the "Per Persona" quote... I can not find it, and the Nexi Rules are very adamant that the Subscription Limit is not based upon Personae, but strictly by System, based upon a Standard Node...

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Aug 31 2010, 03:22 AM
Post #24

Advocatus Diaboli

Again, where?
QUOTE (SR4 @ p224)
Each persona is limited to a number of subscriptions equal to twice its System (e.g., a persona on a System 3 commlink could have up to six active subscriptions at a time). You do not have to subscribe to the node in which your persona is running ; you are always in that node without the need to subscribe to it.
QUOTE (UW @ p51)
Subscription Limit: The maximum number of subscriptions a persona may maintain at once is equal to System x 2 (see Linking and Subscribing, p. 212, SR4, and Subscriptions, p. 55).
QUOTE (UW @ p55)
A persona can only maintain a number of subscriptions equal to the size of its subscription list (System x 2).

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Aug 31 2010, 03:30 AM
Post #25

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Aug 30 2010, 09:22 PM) *
Again, where?

Just getting ready to post, and you beat me to it...
Yep found it (Damn Hard Bounds with limited Search Functions)... I happily retract my Hardware Comment.... but notice something here...

On a Nexus, if a Persona goes over his subscription limit, it pulls from the hardware Processor Limit from that point on... so (for example) a Nexi may have 3 personae, each with 12 Subscriptions, but once they have gone through their subscriptions (12 Each, 36 total), they begin to impact the response for the Nexus itself.

SO I still stand by my point... a Nexus can suck up (((Systemx2) x Personae) + (Processor Limit x Response)) Subscriptions before Response is reduced to 0... Not horrible, and is a difficult target for a DDOS attack, but it is still doable...

Nexi are nice, but are not as portable as Comlinks, especially high end ones in multiples. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smokin.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:02 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.