Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Max Starting Cash, If you really tweaked everything
Gamer6432
post Sep 19 2010, 10:32 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,325

For a 400 BP character using all the books and standard rules, what's the maximum starting Nuyen you could have? Is it 330k from Born Rich + In Debt (for 30 BP), or am I missing something?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Makki
post Sep 19 2010, 11:18 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 18,036

10% discount from Blackmarket pipeline.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Sep 19 2010, 02:20 PM
Post #3

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

But that's not really more money, just less you have to spend . .

+Quote Post
DaedalusK71
post Sep 19 2010, 02:24 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 18,164

But it makes your money go further so the effect is the same.

+Quote Post
Kruger
post Sep 19 2010, 02:25 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,877

Starting gear isn't bought from that contact, so wouldn't get the benefit of BMP unless that's been in some errata.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Sep 19 2010, 02:47 PM
Post #6

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Ha, or some error. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Makki
post Sep 19 2010, 03:24 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 18,036

QUOTE (Kruger @ Sep 19 2010, 04:25 PM) *
Starting gear isn't bought from that contact, so wouldn't get the benefit of BMP unless that's been in some errata.

I'd say that depends on background history. I can't see a GM denying it, since it's already an expensive quailty...

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Sep 19 2010, 03:28 PM
Post #8

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

I can. Should the face get to use their 20 social dice to negotiate the cost of all their starting gear? Does the hacker get to pre-write all his programs (years of 'background history')? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Of course not.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Sep 19 2010, 05:59 PM
Post #9

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 19 2010, 09:28 AM) *
I can. Should the face get to use their 20 social dice to negotiate the cost of all their starting gear? Does the hacker get to pre-write all his programs (years of 'background history')? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Of course not.

I see no issue with the Hacker writing his own programs in his back story... He would still pay the same cost as Book Software in my opinion, as it would account for tools, access, and lifestyle costs while doing so... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Neurosis
post Sep 19 2010, 06:09 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,000

In Debt is the brokest ass quality in existence. Negative quality (MORE BP) that gives you MORE MONAY my ASS.

It is exactly the kind of thing I would totally and flatly disallow as a GM and abuse savagely as a player. Stackability with 'In Debt'? DOUBLY STUPID.

Anyway, you might want to tack on some 'Restricted Gear' Gamer. The In Debt will cover them.

+Quote Post
Mooncrow
post Sep 19 2010, 06:13 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,843

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 19 2010, 01:59 PM) *
I see no issue with the Hacker writing his own programs in his back story... He would still pay the same cost as Book Software in my opinion, as it would account for tools, access, and lifestyle costs while doing so... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I've always seen the starting gear as more of an abstract thing; you can give it any backstory you want, but it doesn't effect any costs. Want your Synaptic Booster r2 to be from a government experiment? No problem, but it still costs the same from your starting fund.

+Quote Post
Mooncrow
post Sep 19 2010, 06:18 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (Neurosis @ Sep 19 2010, 02:09 PM) *
In Debt is the brokest ass quality in existence. Negative quality (MORE BP) that gives you MORE MONAY my ASS.

It is exactly the kind of thing I would totally and flatly disallow as a GM and abuse savagely as a player. Stackability with 'In Debt'? DOUBLY STUPID.

Anyway, you might want to tack on some 'Restricted Gear' Gamer. The In Debt will cover them.

Goes nicely with "Day Job" as well. Because really, what GM is going to say, "Sorry, you're at work right now, so you cant go on the run tonight."?

That said, I allow both in my games, but with the clear understanding that they will be used ruthlessly as plot hooks.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Sep 19 2010, 06:18 PM
Post #13

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Mooncrow @ Sep 19 2010, 12:13 PM) *
I've always seen the starting gear as more of an abstract thing; you can give it any backstory you want, but it doesn't effect any costs. Want your Synaptic Booster r2 to be from a government experiment? No problem, but it still costs the same from your starting fund.

Exactly...

Not sure if I would not allow Black Market Pipeline to affect the cost in Character Generation myself, but it has never come up in our games, so who knows. Are there any other instances of Qualities affecting Cost? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
Mooncrow
post Sep 19 2010, 06:21 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 19 2010, 02:18 PM) *
Exactly...

Not sure if I would not allow Black Market Pipeline to affect the cost in Character Generation myself, but it has never come up in our games, so who knows. Are there any other instances of Qualities affecting Cost? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

There is at least one that explicitly does in Aumentation, IIRC, reduces starting cash costs for specific types of cyber/bio/gene tech (or maybe that one is only for gene tech - curse being away from my books ><)

+Quote Post
Kruger
post Sep 19 2010, 06:23 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Heck, starting gear should have a back story. That's part of building a character. Obviously you don't just walk down to the corner store and drop almost sixty five grand on Alphaware Wired Reflexes 2. That's enough money for somebody to live a low lifestyle for almost three years, so in essence three years of an average wage for a non corporate employee. Why did they choose to drop that in themselves instead of using that money for other things? Or, more likely, who dropped it in them for them because (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) 64K wasn't that big of a sum. And why are they not liable to this person anymore?

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Sep 19 2010, 06:25 PM
Post #16

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

And we are back at every street samurai being an ex mercenary or soldier or cop or something, because there is no other way to explain all that combat ware . .

+Quote Post
Kruger
post Sep 19 2010, 06:40 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

There's a wealth of possible plausible backgrounds for all characters.

But your examples are incredibly limited. No other way? Alternate ideas to being a former soldier or cop? Maybe the character was a favored enforcer for a criminal organization. Maybe they were a company man for a now-defunct corporation. Maybe they grew up as a Barrens ganger but managed to have a successful low level criminal career that garnered them the favor of somebody who could supply the cyberware. There's three ideas alone off the top of my head that aren't former cops or soldiers.

A lack of imagination doesn't mean something isn't possible. "Or something" is a pretty broad category.

However, if the nature of a street samurai makes some backgrounds make less sense, then that's just the way it is.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Sep 19 2010, 06:46 PM
Post #18

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 19 2010, 02:18 PM) *
Exactly...

Hm. Currently most of the Character Generators out there have BMP affecting starting gear costs.

Is there any rule that states you can not have gotten all your gear via a particular contact at character creation?

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Sep 19 2010, 07:00 PM
Post #19

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Sep 19 2010, 12:46 PM) *
Hm. Currently most of the Character Generators out there have BMP affecting starting gear costs.

Is there any rule that states you can not have gotten all your gear via a particular contact at character creation?

None that I am aware of...
Kind of a Gray Area, because it makes it pretty good depending upon the Black Market Goods you select...

+Quote Post
sabs
post Sep 19 2010, 07:16 PM
Post #20

Prime Runner

Member No.: 18,649

Don't forget, if you're playing a non-awakened character, used alpha is a great way to get more cyber for cheaper.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Sep 19 2010, 07:19 PM
Post #21

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

In Debt is only free points/money if the GM lets it be free points/money. Just like folks who used to gripe about Amnesia, it's just a flaw that puts the ball squarely in the GM's court -- if he doesn't MAKE it hurt, it's no one's fault but his own. In Debt sure caught up to Han Solo eventually, didn't it?

+Quote Post
sabs
post Sep 19 2010, 07:22 PM
Post #22

Prime Runner

QUOTE (Critias @ Sep 19 2010, 08:19 PM) *
In Debt is only free points/money if the GM lets it be free points/money. Just like folks who used to gripe about Amnesia, it's just a flaw that puts the ball squarely in the GM's court -- if he doesn't MAKE it hurt, it's no one's fault but his own. In Debt sure caught up to Han Solo eventually, didn't it?

I had a character that was maxed in debt.
The very first mission, I made enough money to pay the whole thing off at once.

And unlike Han.. I did (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Mooncrow
post Sep 19 2010, 07:23 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Back home with my books now, looks like I got slightly mixed up. Genecrafted reduces the "Cost" of starting genetic enhancements by 20% (I'm assuming both nuyen and essence because of the following item) and Genetic Heritage reduces the "nuyen cost" of all transgenic genetic enhancements by 20%.

The BMP does seem like a pretty gray area to me, seems pretty crazy good for say, a rigger taking a vehicle pipeline. Idk, it's never come up, so I don't really know how I would treat it.

+Quote Post
sabs
post Sep 19 2010, 07:26 PM
Post #24

Prime Runner

QUOTE (Mooncrow @ Sep 19 2010, 08:23 PM) *
Back home with my books now, looks like I got slightly mixed up. Genecrafted reduces the "Cost" of starting genetic enhancements by 20% (I'm assuming both nuyen and essence because of the following item) and Genetic Heritage reduces the "nuyen cost" of all transgenic genetic enhancements by 20%.

The BMP does seem like a pretty gray area to me, seems pretty crazy good for say, a rigger taking a vehicle pipeline. Idk, it's never come up, so I don't really know how I would treat it.

because Riggers are way overpowered already.
It's not that big of a discount, and they're paying serious BP for it.

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Sep 19 2010, 07:47 PM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Member No.: 16,558

I'm heavily in favor of it counting at chargen. I houserule In Debt to be a 0-point Quality.

+Quote Post

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:22 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.