Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Minecraft, Must...resist...
Voran
post Sep 21 2010, 12:05 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,099

Simply put, Minecraft is a sandbox game where you build stuff out of textured cubes in a random but incredibly expansive 3d world. Your goal, survive the nights. During the day on the surface you can collect resources, build stuff, but make sure you're in cover by nightfall, as monsters and undead spawn and will seek you out. Likewise, be wary of dark depths underground as you dig deep into the earth to find stuff like diamonds and ores.

To be honest, it looks like well...not like crap...but oldschool 8 bit. But its awesome. Its one of those, "Holy crap when did it become 3 am?" kind of games. Its not free, costing 9 euros, which comes out to around 13 bucks I think. But its kind of a lifetime account, entitling you to all updated content when the game gets released.

Its addictive, its fun, the music is nice, and it feels rather creepy at night.

The only thing I wish was that the monsters were a bit more active in trying to hunt you down at night, as it stands, a good locked door and decently high walls are enough.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Sep 21 2010, 12:54 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,652

I'm just waiting for my credit card to arrive. Stupid school PO Box not forwarding my mail.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Sep 21 2010, 01:07 AM
Post #3

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Do you awaken Durin's Bane?

~J

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Sep 21 2010, 01:14 AM
Post #4

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Sep 20 2010, 08:07 PM) *
Do you awaken Durin's Bane?

~J

I'm sure that'll be in later editions.

+Quote Post
nemafow
post Sep 21 2010, 01:44 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,237

Sounds good, may take a look!

+Quote Post
Fabe
post Sep 21 2010, 02:16 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,050

The game does sound interesting but I hear the sandbox style game play makes it a bit of a griefers paradise in muliti-play. Still I might give it a try.

+Quote Post
Voran
post Sep 21 2010, 07:03 AM
Post #7

Running Target

I havent checked out multiplayer servers yet, hopefully there will be 'peaceful coop' ones.

The only thing I would mark as a downside at the moment is that its just you solo and gets a little lonely. Now if you could slowly add friendly npcs, bots really, that could do some of the tasks you've already setup, plant and grow and harvest trees, crops, etc. Giving me further incentive to protect my regions so my minions, um, serfs, um...citizens, could toil peacefully or in relative safety during the night would be awesome.

Heh, this game definitely encourages you to adopt almost a dwarven mentality, establishing grand, deep underground fortresses and workshops. At least in the early modes, wood is such a relatively difficult resource to consistently acquire (you either have to run around alot for trees, or wait until the ones you've planted closest to your fort are mature enough to harvest) its easier to make a view pickaxes and just get stacks and stacks of stone. Plus, with wood being a primary component in all of your tools, its not something you can really afford to use as lumber for a wooden fort in the beginning stages.

The game itself is still in its developmental stage, so I have hopes for future content. Its also undergone a dramatic increase in 'net popularity lately, so much that i think we crashed his main site.

+Quote Post
Voran
post Sep 21 2010, 09:53 AM
Post #8

Running Target

*sigh* just died 4 times in a row trying to get my corpse-lewt back. This game can be brutal (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Sep 21 2010, 12:04 PM
Post #9

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Voran @ Sep 21 2010, 03:03 AM) *
The game itself is still in its developmental stage, so I have hopes for future content. Its also undergone a dramatic increase in 'net popularity lately, so much that i think we crashed his main site.

I'm guessing the fact that it is being featured in Penny-Arcade is a big part of the increased popularity.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Sep 21 2010, 03:01 PM
Post #10

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (Voran @ Sep 21 2010, 03:03 AM) *
The only thing I would mark as a downside at the moment is that its just you solo and gets a little lonely.

Are you sure that isn't the point? The game might be a commentary on the desolate existence of the programmer, toiling in solitude to construct virtual palaces that no one will appreciate.

~J

+Quote Post
CanadianWolverin...
post Sep 24 2010, 11:44 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,309

Check this excellent fan made trailer out, it should give you some idea of just how awesome this game is and its only in Alpha release, so many features have yet to be implemented for it to be considered Beta and Gold releases by its Developer Notch and growing Company in Sweden (IIRC).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaMTedT6P0I

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Sep 25 2010, 12:48 AM
Post #12

Great Dragon

QUOTE (CanadianWolverine @ Sep 24 2010, 07:44 PM) *
Check this excellent fan made trailer out, it should give you some idea of just how awesome this game is and its only in Alpha release, so many features have yet to be implemented for it to be considered Beta and Gold releases by its Developer Notch and growing Company in Sweden (IIRC).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaMTedT6P0I

Wow, that was some really awesome stuff.

Also, that was better than most official trailers I've seen for other games.

+Quote Post
Voran
post Sep 25 2010, 06:31 AM
Post #13

Running Target

This game does certainly lend towards ragequit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) Heck, its even got its own tvtropes ragequit heading. How it happens? You're deep in the earth toiling away to get diamonds or precious ore, when you get jumped by a creeper or some unexpected monster that kills you, or you do something stupid that lands you in lava and you lose all the crap you've been carrying, including those hard earned ore, crafted armor, etc. And you know it'll take too long to get your gear back before it poofs, or you KNOW your lewt fell into lava and that's it.

+Quote Post
nemafow
post Sep 26 2010, 11:30 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

That clip it making me get around to giving this a shot tonight.

+Quote Post
deek
post Sep 27 2010, 06:06 PM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,814

The only game I play is the one I just lost. Damnit.

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Sep 27 2010, 07:33 PM
Post #16

Dumorimasoddaa

Member No.: 15,830

Part of me still thinks its a 3d Dwarf Fortress clone (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) I know its not quite but the are both similar.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Sep 28 2010, 02:45 AM
Post #17

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Dumori @ Sep 27 2010, 03:33 PM) *
Part of me still thinks its a 3d Dwarf Fortress clone (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) I know its not quite but the are both similar.

I was kind of thinking along those lines, only my thought was more 'This guy and the DF guy should get together.'

I just got it earlier today, and although I haven't gotten super far, I've burned a few hours on it already. Unfortently the one I got the furthest on I died and all my stuff vanished, so figured I'd try again. Just haven't been able to do as well since. I seem to have a heck of a time finding coal, and no coal means no torches, which means no light, which makes it really hard to mine.

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Sep 28 2010, 10:10 AM
Post #18

Dumorimasoddaa

Member No.: 15,830

QUOTE (Karoline @ Sep 28 2010, 03:45 AM) *
I was kind of thinking along those lines, only my thought was more 'This guy and the DF guy should get together.'

I just got it earlier today, and although I haven't gotten super far, I've burned a few hours on it already. Unfortently the one I got the furthest on I died and all my stuff vanished, so figured I'd try again. Just haven't been able to do as well since. I seem to have a heck of a time finding coal, and no coal means no torches, which means no light, which makes it really hard to mine.

I'm still not sure if the dev has had his acounts unfrozen the sales boomed so much that paypla locked him down. In the first two weeks of this lockdown he had 750K in there. If its still locked there will be a lot more there now.

Looking at the membership and who has accounts at that time the game had grossed close to 2mil

+Quote Post
StealthSigma
post Sep 28 2010, 11:19 AM
Post #19

Runner

Member No.: 17,389

QUOTE (Karoline @ Sep 27 2010, 10:45 PM) *

It also means no home.

I recommend strip mining if your problem is coal. Find a place you want to build something big, then drop the height of the hills that are nearby. Dirt only goes down 2-4 blocks at most then you start hitting stone and possibly finding coal while you tear down the mountain.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Sep 28 2010, 10:48 PM
Post #20

Great Dragon

QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Sep 28 2010, 07:19 AM) *
It also means no home.

I recommend strip mining if your problem is coal. Find a place you want to build something big, then drop the height of the hills that are nearby. Dirt only goes down 2-4 blocks at most then you start hitting stone and possibly finding coal while you tear down the mountain.

I found a nice winter world, and am getting really well established. My mining keeps turning up underground caverns (which scare me) but also tons of coal. I have a few stacks of the stuff now, and don't have much to do with them. So, now I'm working on some good armor and weapons and healing so I can clear out the caverns a bit better.

Now my new goal is finding more iron (I've gotten about 10 or so bars so far) and the better materials. Also, working on my greenhouse to grow me some wheat so I can make bread and such (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Oh, and trying to find some darn string. Only seen one spider and it didn't drop any string. I really wanted a bow.

+Quote Post
nemafow
post Sep 29 2010, 12:51 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

2 million? I bet you this guy is pretty happy.

+Quote Post
Abschalten
post Sep 29 2010, 01:52 AM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 7,655

What difficulty are you guys playing on? I started on Saturday night, but I haven't died yet.

I got mad lucky in some caverns. Got about six pieces of diamond. I have a fat-assed diamond sword and a diamond pick-axe that owns.

I have a nice bunker-style house, though now that I'm familiar with how to build stuff and how to look for ore, my ambitions have.... grown.

+Quote Post
CanadianWolverin...
post Sep 29 2010, 03:11 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,309

On the off chance my fellow forum goers here haven't seen these:

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/1010842689_DYj3P-L.jpg
http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/1015419613_NYok6-L.jpg

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss24/gp...85541495409.png

Edit: Hmm, those don't seem to be working with the img tags, so here they are as url

Oh and have fun looking at all the fun stuff on youtube that is Minecraft related, some of it has the potential to blow your mind.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Sep 29 2010, 03:45 AM
Post #24

Great Dragon

Hadn't seen that last one.

And I'm playing on normal difficulty. My main problem so far has been 'splodin zombies, since they don't go away with sunlight.

+Quote Post
Voran
post Sep 29 2010, 08:01 AM
Post #25

Running Target

After giving up on my first world (too many sad memories of personal failure), I loaded up a 2nd world, and seem to be doing well. Heh I totally agree with that 2nd penny arcade strip. Day 1: Dig a hole in a wall. Day 2: Acquire more sand, wood, etc. Day 3: Castle Skyscraper.

What would be awesome is the ability to crank up the nighttime hordes, and also build catapults or semi-automated turrets. I mean, I've got like over 9000 tons of cobblestone that should make good weaponry if hurled across the landscape.

Only thing I'm noticing on my 2nd map so far is i'm running into a smaller frequency of diamond than my 1st map, but I'm still only on my first island, and oddly have a crap-ton of iron ore, so we'll see how things go.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 10:35 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.