Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Certain rules I couldn't figure out.
Ninku
post Mar 8 2004, 12:20 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,526

Can a Ranger-X bow but used with smart-link system? Does it have to be internal or external? And if its all external do ALL weapons work with it?

For elementals for aspected mages, in the book it says it takes a heretic circle and hours to summon an elemental but you can bind it to a foci, does that mean you can summon it at almost will? For example a lighter is the foci with the fire elemental bound to it, and during the run an aspected mage turns on the lighter and has a spray can, and fires the spray towards the lighters flames, and from the flames arises the fire elemental. Is that possible or does he need hours to summon the same fire elemental?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Mar 8 2004, 12:25 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 4,323

You can not equip any non-firearm with a smartlink or smartlink-2 system. I don't really know what you mean by your second question... reading it made my head hurt. Perhaps when that subsides I'll attempt to answer it if no one else has.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Mar 8 2004, 12:40 AM
Post #3

Traumatizing players since 1992

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 220

I have never seen any rules where an elemental can be bound to a foci. Page number for reference please?

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Mar 8 2004, 12:50 AM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

You can certainly smartlink a bow, it says so in the Cannon Companion. You need to buy an accessory mount, so it'd be external. I think internal (or "integrated" if you prefer) versions should exist, but they don't exist in any books. And no other non-firearm weapons can mount a smartlink as far as I know.

As for your second question, ditto Bit. You can't bind elementals to a focus, whatever that might mean.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Mar 8 2004, 01:21 AM
Post #5

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

I have never seen any rules where an elemental can be bound to a foci.

Well... an Obeahifa can bind a spirit to a gris-gris, but that's a great deal different than what he's asking. Those are basically souped-up watchers, and not elementals. So, the answer to his question is no, you cannot bind an elemental to a focus.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Mar 8 2004, 01:24 AM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

A spirit focus does not bind a spirit to the focus for instant conjuring of an elemental, it just gives its force in bonus dice for conjuring the appropriate spirit type.

Once an elemental is conjured, it can wait in the astral nearby or off in its own metaplane until its conjurer calls it. Calling an already bound elemental is a complex action (John confirmed that it is complex) and the elemental will then be in your immediate vicinity and ready to pay off the services you achieved with your conjuring test.

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Mar 8 2004, 01:24 AM
Post #7

Running Target

QUOTE (Zazen)
You can certainly smartlink a bow, it says so in the Cannon Companion.

Well, holy poop. So you can. I never noticed that before (probably because I've never had a player use a bow before).

+Quote Post
Ninku
post Mar 8 2004, 01:31 AM
Post #8

Target

My mistake, not bound to the foci but bound to the magician period, they can be summoned at will when the circumstances allow it? (i.e. when there's a fire, or its rain, etc. etc.)

+Quote Post
John Campbell
post Mar 8 2004, 01:33 AM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 3,581

If you conjure up an elemental, but don't want to immediately use all of the services that it owes you, you can put it on standby. It then vanishes from the physical and astral planes, but remains "bound" to you - no foci are involved here - and you can call it forth (with an Exclusive Complex Action) any time you want to use its services, at which point it will reappear on the astral plane in your vicinity and you can then command it normally.

edit: You need a quantity of the element present for the initial summoning, but you don't need it to call forth an elemental that you've previously summoned and put on standby. You just will it to appear and it does.

This post has been edited by John Campbell: Mar 8 2004, 01:38 AM

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Mar 8 2004, 01:34 AM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

You can bind a spirit to certain purposes by spending karma, such as guarding an area.

All elementals need to be summoned over a long ritual in a specially prepared circle with conjuring materials. Once that is done, it will either float around the mage or wait far away waiting to be called. Each has its advantages.

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Mar 8 2004, 01:37 AM
Post #11

Running Target

QUOTE (Ninku)
My mistake, not bound to the foci but bound to the magician period, they can be summoned at will when the circumstances allow it? (i.e. when there's a fire, or its rain, etc. etc.)

Circumstances dont even really have to allow it... after you have summoned an elemental, it can be called in the astral whenever you wish/spend a complex action as long as you have services remaining. You dont need an open flame to call a fire elemental, you dont need any water to call a water elemental. When you call them, they appear in the astral plane close to you, and will not materialize unless you tell them to.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Mar 8 2004, 02:32 AM
Post #12

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Jason Farlander)
I never noticed that before (probably because I've never had a player use a bow before).

I never would've either if a player didn't bring that to me and ask if he could put it on his blowgun.

+Quote Post
Ninku
post Mar 8 2004, 02:54 AM
Post #13

Target

What page of CC does it say you can SL anything?

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Mar 8 2004, 03:08 AM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Just bows and crossbows. Page 13.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 8 2004, 03:08 AM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

it doesn't. however, on pg 13, there is a bow accessory mount, which allows bows and crossbows to mount a single imaging or smartlink accessory.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Mar 8 2004, 03:12 AM
Post #16

Shooting Target

Post By Wire 4, ph33r :smokin:

+Quote Post
tjn
post Mar 8 2004, 11:34 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

From: Fresno, CFS: taking out one durned furriner at a time.
Member No.: 5,940

Wasn't there in Shadowbeat a blurb about smartlinks for basketball players?

And if so, couldn't this be expanded to grenades? :P

+Quote Post
Xirces
post Mar 8 2004, 12:47 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,046

QUOTE (tjn)

And if so, couldn't this be expanded to grenades? :P

Repeated mentions of it for all sports (Football, Basketball and Baseball all get mentioned). No game stats at all but presumably -2TN for relevant tests. Quite how it works is another question completely since I can't think of a way for the targeting system to tell where the ball is been aimed...

Adaptation for grenades is a bloody good idea...

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Mar 8 2004, 05:01 PM
Post #19

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

It's called Smartball technology, or Smartpuck int he case of hockey.

Shadowrun cyber hockey (shudder).

+Quote Post
Siege
post Mar 8 2004, 05:18 PM
Post #20

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

QUOTE (Xirces)
QUOTE (tjn @ Mar 8 2004, 11:34 AM)

And if so, couldn't this be expanded to grenades?  :P

Repeated mentions of it for all sports (Football, Basketball and Baseball all get mentioned). No game stats at all but presumably -2TN for relevant tests. Quite how it works is another question completely since I can't think of a way for the targeting system to tell where the ball is been aimed...

Adaptation for grenades is a bloody good idea...

Grenades, shuriken and just about anything covered by throwing.

Unfortunately, there has never been a canon write-up on the system which first showed up in "Shadowbeat" (I believe).

As for how it would work -- I assume much the same way a more traditional smart system would work. Rangefinder, limited sim rig and specialized processor that calculates range, trajectory, force and so on.

I still want to know what the "limited sim rig" is supposed to do because I know I can warp it to fit other things. :grinbig:

-Siege

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Mar 8 2004, 05:46 PM
Post #21

Man In The Machine

Member No.: 1,105

QUOTE (BitBasher)
Shadowrun cyber hockey (shudder).

As if it wasent dangrous enough now...

+Quote Post
ShadowPhoenix
post Mar 8 2004, 07:28 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,568

new plot hooks yay :D Shadow Sports. I think a smartlink will show where the ball is aimed currently, but I'd think the Smartlink obviously only works when the ball is in the players hand. I think it would maybe tweak the aim a lil, so the sport still requires skill to play, but with smartlinks, you have an assistant to let you know your right arm is too low and going to send the ball where you Don't want it.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Mar 8 2004, 07:32 PM
Post #23

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

Imagine the new gear, Sport-Tac, a derivitive of Battle-Tac. Gives you real time positions of the members of your team only, current heading and speed. So you can put the ball where they will be more accurately.

+Quote Post
ShadowPhoenix
post Mar 8 2004, 07:47 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,568

sport-tac, a brilliant idea, wonder what other SR equip could be sport modified.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Mar 8 2004, 08:13 PM
Post #25

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

Playbooks in knowsoft format ni each players headware memory.
"Okay guys, scroll to page 12098 of the play book, run that in reverse... Ready, break!"

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:11 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.