Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Certain rules I couldn't figure out.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ninku
Can a Ranger-X bow but used with smart-link system? Does it have to be internal or external? And if its all external do ALL weapons work with it?

For elementals for aspected mages, in the book it says it takes a heretic circle and hours to summon an elemental but you can bind it to a foci, does that mean you can summon it at almost will? For example a lighter is the foci with the fire elemental bound to it, and during the run an aspected mage turns on the lighter and has a spray can, and fires the spray towards the lighters flames, and from the flames arises the fire elemental. Is that possible or does he need hours to summon the same fire elemental?
Jason Farlander
You can not equip any non-firearm with a smartlink or smartlink-2 system. I don't really know what you mean by your second question... reading it made my head hurt. Perhaps when that subsides I'll attempt to answer it if no one else has.
BitBasher
I have never seen any rules where an elemental can be bound to a foci. Page number for reference please?
Zazen
You can certainly smartlink a bow, it says so in the Cannon Companion. You need to buy an accessory mount, so it'd be external. I think internal (or "integrated" if you prefer) versions should exist, but they don't exist in any books. And no other non-firearm weapons can mount a smartlink as far as I know.

As for your second question, ditto Bit. You can't bind elementals to a focus, whatever that might mean.
Cain
I have never seen any rules where an elemental can be bound to a foci.

Well... an Obeahifa can bind a spirit to a gris-gris, but that's a great deal different than what he's asking. Those are basically souped-up watchers, and not elementals. So, the answer to his question is no, you cannot bind an elemental to a focus.
Herald of Verjigorm
A spirit focus does not bind a spirit to the focus for instant conjuring of an elemental, it just gives its force in bonus dice for conjuring the appropriate spirit type.

Once an elemental is conjured, it can wait in the astral nearby or off in its own metaplane until its conjurer calls it. Calling an already bound elemental is a complex action (John confirmed that it is complex) and the elemental will then be in your immediate vicinity and ready to pay off the services you achieved with your conjuring test.
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (Zazen)
You can certainly smartlink a bow, it says so in the Cannon Companion.

Well, holy poop. So you can. I never noticed that before (probably because I've never had a player use a bow before).
Ninku
My mistake, not bound to the foci but bound to the magician period, they can be summoned at will when the circumstances allow it? (i.e. when there's a fire, or its rain, etc. etc.)
John Campbell
If you conjure up an elemental, but don't want to immediately use all of the services that it owes you, you can put it on standby. It then vanishes from the physical and astral planes, but remains "bound" to you - no foci are involved here - and you can call it forth (with an Exclusive Complex Action) any time you want to use its services, at which point it will reappear on the astral plane in your vicinity and you can then command it normally.

edit: You need a quantity of the element present for the initial summoning, but you don't need it to call forth an elemental that you've previously summoned and put on standby. You just will it to appear and it does.
Herald of Verjigorm
You can bind a spirit to certain purposes by spending karma, such as guarding an area.

All elementals need to be summoned over a long ritual in a specially prepared circle with conjuring materials. Once that is done, it will either float around the mage or wait far away waiting to be called. Each has its advantages.
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (Ninku)
My mistake, not bound to the foci but bound to the magician period, they can be summoned at will when the circumstances allow it? (i.e. when there's a fire, or its rain, etc. etc.)

Circumstances dont even really have to allow it... after you have summoned an elemental, it can be called in the astral whenever you wish/spend a complex action as long as you have services remaining. You dont need an open flame to call a fire elemental, you dont need any water to call a water elemental. When you call them, they appear in the astral plane close to you, and will not materialize unless you tell them to.
Zazen
QUOTE (Jason Farlander)
I never noticed that before (probably because I've never had a player use a bow before).

I never would've either if a player didn't bring that to me and ask if he could put it on his blowgun.
Ninku
What page of CC does it say you can SL anything?
Zazen
Just bows and crossbows. Page 13.
mfb
it doesn't. however, on pg 13, there is a bow accessory mount, which allows bows and crossbows to mount a single imaging or smartlink accessory.
Zazen
Post By Wire 4, ph33r smokin.gif
tjn
Wasn't there in Shadowbeat a blurb about smartlinks for basketball players?

And if so, couldn't this be expanded to grenades? nyahnyah.gif
Xirces
QUOTE (tjn)

And if so, couldn't this be expanded to grenades? nyahnyah.gif

Repeated mentions of it for all sports (Football, Basketball and Baseball all get mentioned). No game stats at all but presumably -2TN for relevant tests. Quite how it works is another question completely since I can't think of a way for the targeting system to tell where the ball is been aimed...

Adaptation for grenades is a bloody good idea...
BitBasher
It's called Smartball technology, or Smartpuck int he case of hockey.

Shadowrun cyber hockey (shudder).
Siege
QUOTE (Xirces)
QUOTE (tjn @ Mar 8 2004, 11:34 AM)

And if so, couldn't this be expanded to grenades?  nyahnyah.gif

Repeated mentions of it for all sports (Football, Basketball and Baseball all get mentioned). No game stats at all but presumably -2TN for relevant tests. Quite how it works is another question completely since I can't think of a way for the targeting system to tell where the ball is been aimed...

Adaptation for grenades is a bloody good idea...

Grenades, shuriken and just about anything covered by throwing.

Unfortunately, there has never been a canon write-up on the system which first showed up in "Shadowbeat" (I believe).

As for how it would work -- I assume much the same way a more traditional smart system would work. Rangefinder, limited sim rig and specialized processor that calculates range, trajectory, force and so on.

I still want to know what the "limited sim rig" is supposed to do because I know I can warp it to fit other things. grinbig.gif

-Siege
Lindt
QUOTE (BitBasher)
Shadowrun cyber hockey (shudder).

As if it wasent dangrous enough now...
ShadowPhoenix
new plot hooks yay biggrin.gif Shadow Sports. I think a smartlink will show where the ball is aimed currently, but I'd think the Smartlink obviously only works when the ball is in the players hand. I think it would maybe tweak the aim a lil, so the sport still requires skill to play, but with smartlinks, you have an assistant to let you know your right arm is too low and going to send the ball where you Don't want it.
Nikoli
Imagine the new gear, Sport-Tac, a derivitive of Battle-Tac. Gives you real time positions of the members of your team only, current heading and speed. So you can put the ball where they will be more accurately.
ShadowPhoenix
sport-tac, a brilliant idea, wonder what other SR equip could be sport modified.
Nikoli
Playbooks in knowsoft format ni each players headware memory.
"Okay guys, scroll to page 12098 of the play book, run that in reverse... Ready, break!"
Siege
Or cobble together the orientation/GPS system that reads transmitters from your teammates.

Image links, implanted subdermal speakers, pain editors (grinbig.gif)

I don't think there is a bit of cyber or bioware that couldn't be implemented in a non-SR capacity.

-Siege
Nikoli
Blocker with a built in taser... now that's a stiff arm.
Ninku
Wow! Thanks a lot! And I see it in CC, I've got a simple and n00bish question about combat. (Might as well use this thread instead of making a bunch.)

When doing ranged combat, or melee, the book has two different defenses for lessening the damage, do they get both? The dodge + body test, and also how do you do overall ballastic and impact rating? What page of CC or SR3 states that rule?
Herald of Verjigorm
Depending on the instance, an attack can be resisted up to three times before any damage is counted.

In melee, the target gets to roll to counter-attack and then whoever fails that contest takes damage. If the target of a melee attack is using full defense, he cannot counterattack, but can dodge if his skill foils to defend. After all that is done, whatever is left must be resisted by body.

In ranged combat, the target can try to dodge, and must resist with body if that fails.

Keep in mind that dodging uses up combat pool for that round.

Each armor category (impact and ballistic) are calculated by the value of whichever item of armor provides the largest bonus for that type plus half the next highest (there is debate over the concept of a third layer).

Armor layering is SR3 page 285; ranged effect test are SR3 page 113; melee effect tests are page 122, 123 and a little past that
BitBasher
One addition to the above post, all body rolls can be augmented further by combat pool, if you have any combat pool left.
Kagetenshi
Mmm, smartball links... you do not want to meet that lightly cybered Troll adept pitcher in a dark alley.

~J
Ninku
What's the stage damage for an unarmed attack? (no cyberlimbs or strenght boosts.) STR+L, stun?
Lindt
Str M stun I think.
Dax
I distinctly remember a mention in the SSSG about the new "SureShot" cyberware adaptation, and how the NBA was up in arms over how accurate it made shots from the other end of the court.

Then of course the smart aleck Shadowruner made a comment about how his bud got that improvement and how he "always had his grenades land exactly on target." since then.
Sunday_Gamer
To answer your question about elementals and readiness. Once you summon it, it owes you X services and then runs on home to it's elemental plane. It is considered "on standby" and in the rules for summoning you will find how long it takes (pretty sure it's a simple action) to call it from standby at which point it shows up in astral space and is now following you around ready to take orders.

Kong
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012