IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Making Chemicals, How do I implement this?
wizwyrm
post Sep 29 2010, 08:25 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,665

A player in my campaign is interested in figuring out how to manufacture chemicals. How do I implement this and where could I find these rules?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Sep 29 2010, 08:26 PM
Post #2

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Arsenal. Be careful: Arsenal specifically warns that the rules can be abused. For one thing, you should probably just completely ban resale. Another suggestion is to have overuse come to the attention of police and crime organizations.

+Quote Post
crash2029
post Sep 29 2010, 08:43 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

From: The seemingly unknown area of land between Seattle and Idaho.
Member No.: 9,910

Ah, chemistry. I have loved chemistry since I was eight and my Dad gave me a highschool textbook from 1950 called "All about the wonders of Chemistry." In fact my current character uses his chem shop to great effect. In our last session he made a batch of Fentenol(sp?) to plant in order to manufacture blackmail evidence.

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Sep 29 2010, 08:46 PM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 18,688

Fentanyl?

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Sep 29 2010, 08:47 PM
Post #5

Advocatus Diaboli

I'm not sure that Fentanyl is easy to make. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) It's not in SR4 anyway, so I guess you just invented a Threshold and ingredient list?

It'd be on par with Methadone, so that's 16+, and you'd need the formula, ingredients, and tools. Legality F, and Availability? Pretty rare. The fluff indicates that a Facility or Microfac is the appropriate tool-size, so you'll be at a penalty without them (if it's even possible).

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Sep 29 2010, 09:37 PM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 18,688

I believe if you don't have a facility, you can't make it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Sep 30 2010, 02:06 AM
Post #7

Advocatus Diaboli

Yes, the book says, 'if you don't have the right tools, you get the penalty, or the GM may simply say it's impossible'. It's important to use all appropriate limitations, because it's no good crying that things are overpowered if you forgot all the intended ways to rein them in. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Saint Sithney
post Sep 30 2010, 03:41 AM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 17,722

I wouldn't rate a legally prescribed pain medicine as forbidden.... though its precursors are generally illegal.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Sep 30 2010, 03:45 AM
Post #9

Advocatus Diaboli

That's why it's forbidden. It can only be used under prescription, and it's very tightly controlled. You can't get a license for it, as it were. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) But, I can see your point, compared to some of the other 2070 examples. I guess it's sort of like Slab, although it's closer to heroin's deadlier, less fun cousin.

+Quote Post
crash2029
post Sep 30 2010, 10:42 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

From: The seemingly unknown area of land between Seattle and Idaho.
Member No.: 9,910

The GM I am playing with is more into story than number crunching. Once we determined it was possible she just handwaved it. My character had to spend time and money but we mostly just moved on with the game. I am sorry if this is not a good example rules-wise, I was just sharing personal insights on chemistry in gaming.

+Quote Post
wizwyrm
post Sep 30 2010, 05:29 PM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 17,665

So banning resale sounds like a good idea, but how do I sell the character on this (his idea was to sell them)?

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Sep 30 2010, 05:34 PM
Post #12

Advocatus Diaboli

Tell him he's a shadowrunner, not a day-jobber. Shadowrunners perform exciting missions. If he wants to be a farmer, mechanic, or other wageslave, wrong game. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Mooncrow
post Sep 30 2010, 05:38 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,843

QUOTE (wizwyrm @ Sep 30 2010, 01:29 PM) *
So banning resale sounds like a good idea, but how do I sell the character on this (his idea was to sell them)?

Depends on what chemicals he wants to sell, really.

Drugs? Explain to him that the current players in the drug market really, really don't like independent operators.

Chemical weapons? Governments take interest in that in a hurry.

Personally, I allow resale in my games, with the strict understanding that it's more for roleplay than actual money-making. Start moving any significant quantity, and the hammers are ready to come down. So, people in the know come this character for custom-made, specialty stock; in return the character gets a little money, and some sweet contacts, and I get plot hook galore^^

+Quote Post
Marcus
post Sep 30 2010, 06:25 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,826

There are some many cool things you can do with this stuff, and not just combat related. If he wants to make money off it. Give him the flaw day Job. He has to spend X amount of time in the lab or on the corner selling it. Then he can use the spare space to cook up the cool toy you use for running.
BugKiller Rounds, DMSO/Narkojet, Acid/Contact poison, the infamous K-10/Dopadrine Panic Pen, fake Skin, the many various solvents and dozens of other cool compounds you can use

+Quote Post
Marcus
post Sep 30 2010, 06:25 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,826

Hmm not sure how that happened again. :\

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Sep 30 2010, 06:31 PM
Post #16

Advocatus Diaboli

That's fine: limit him to the Day Job income, and the rest goes to his syndicate masters.

+Quote Post
Game2BHappy
post Sep 30 2010, 08:04 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,355

If you want the player to have buy-in with you on the restricted use of chemistry, have a discussion with him on your concerns that its use may unbalance the game for the other players. Ask him what he thinks is a reasonable amount of "extra" income earned between runs and come to a set Nuyen amount that you both can handle (and yes, ask him first if you really want his buy-in).

Once the reasonable amount is set, suggest that he use the normal rules for buying/brewing/selling his goods and map out the time spent for your benefit (have him do the heavy lifting). If he generates more income than the amount you set, he can expect to attract the attention of rivals (both street & corporate) that may burn down his shop, steal his stuff, sell him out to the cops, etc.

Lastly, let him know this is new ground so it may need some modification going forward. But try not to over-react if the first Nuyen amount you both came to was off. If the character is making too much NuYen for a couple games in a row, it won't kill your game right away. After a bit, come back and ask him if he feels it is still balanced. After thinking through his response, you can suggest an alternate amount (or a completely new tactic) that will bring your game to "balance".

... at least that's what I would try if I was in a good mood. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

P.S. consider modifying the base 30% selling price down to 24% using the "Item Counterfeit" modifier since he is making these on his own. After a while you can reduce it to 21% from "market flooded". And lastly, make sure you are taking some off the top both when buying raw materials & selling the goods if he is going through a contact (I believe the standard is 5% of the base cost per point of connection and even a bottom level street fixer has to have a connection of 3+).

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:03 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.