IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mechanical arms - how many?, can't find a max...
spotlite
post Mar 9 2004, 06:04 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,752

Been looking through the R3 book at mechanical arms. It tells you all about what they can do and what they cost etc etc, but I can't find a maximum number - does anyone know?

I know Deus' body 2 spiders have between 4 and 8 arm/leg combo thingys, which would indicate up to body x 4, but does anyone have a quote? Trying to build something fiendish...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Mar 9 2004, 06:05 PM
Post #2

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

Well, there is a slight difference between articulated arms and the locomotion appendages for a walker. I would say no more than 4 'arms' and no more than 8 'legs'

+Quote Post
spotlite
post Mar 9 2004, 06:13 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

the Spider 'legs' are all also capable of articulate manipulation - each leg has tools on the end. They're a bit of both and also state of the art so you can forgive a bit of flanging. But it states quite clearly that Deus' constructs are not new technology, they just make hiterto unthought of use of existing technology. That's why I included them. Even if you discount them (and as definately a 'special' case, that seems appropriate), there's still no max limit that I can find. If its confirmed that there is no limit, I'll mail Fanpro. I'd say body x 2 as a good guide (resulting in a max of 4 from a body 2 vehicle as you suggested Nikoli).

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Mar 9 2004, 06:16 PM
Post #4

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

Doesn't Fanpro have an email you can shoot questions like that to to get that stuff cleared up and possibly in the errata?

+Quote Post
spotlite
post Mar 9 2004, 06:22 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

That's what I'm going to do if no-one can find me a quote. I've looked, but I could easily have missed it!

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Mar 9 2004, 06:24 PM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

As long as the vehicle can support the costs (load, CF, whatever), you should be able to cram more arms on it.

+Quote Post
Fahr
post Mar 9 2004, 06:28 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,094

I agree with HofV.

why not a crawler with 10 arms(to clean the sewers, yeah the sewers....
), as long as it has the room for the parts, there shouldn't be a problem with it.

excep tmaybe for balanceing articulated arms holding guns, in which case treat each arm like a firm point.

-Mike R.

+Quote Post
spotlite
post Mar 9 2004, 06:29 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

That'll do nicely. I'd not thought of that aspect of it. 2Cf per arm and Strx10 load reduction will limit them pretty effectively relative to a vehicle's size. Nice one, thanks!

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 9 2004, 07:20 PM
Post #9

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Billion-armed nanodrones!

~J

+Quote Post
Slapstick
post Mar 9 2004, 07:38 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 6,117

Speaking of fun things to try and find caps on, did anyone ever look at the articulated arms in Cyberpirates and wonder if they could make Dr. Octopus? I got voted down because they are for subs and do some wicked damage, but I'm still looking for some way to have more than two arms.
-Slapstick

+Quote Post
Fraust
post Mar 9 2004, 07:45 PM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 6,144

Rigg a human shaped walker drone with a couple mechanical arms...not sure how much load and cargo they have, but it might work...also, in man and machine they have the articulated arm, and doesn't it say something about accepting cyber arm mods? that would include a hand right? not quite dr. octopus, but it's more than two...

+Quote Post
simonw2000
post Mar 11 2004, 04:28 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,491

I can imagine that someone with four cyberarms would have to get them as Deltaware... :D

+Quote Post
fctarbox3
post Mar 11 2004, 04:35 PM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 6,134

I once tried to build power armor or a mech by using a rigged anthroform drone with a single person crew compartment, and when I was done, there wasn't enough room for a pair of arms, and I couldn't figure out from the rules whether the anthroform came with a pair of arms or not, so I gave up.

Okay, I lie, I managed to get it working somehow, but it had some hideous limitation that I can't recall at the moment.

And if you took away the crew compartment, there's more than enough room, of course.

+Quote Post
ShadowPhoenix
post Mar 11 2004, 05:41 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,568

those Art arms in MM are weapons mounts :D fun with guns :P and you can also get them retractable, which I think would look pretty wizzer.

+Quote Post
John Campbell
post Mar 11 2004, 09:14 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 3,581

QUOTE (fctarbox3 @ Mar 11 2004, 11:35 AM)
I once tried to build power armor or a mech by using a rigged anthroform drone with a single person crew compartment, and when I was done, there wasn't enough room for a pair of arms, and I couldn't figure out from the rules whether the anthroform came with a pair of arms or not, so I gave up.

The anthroform frames do come with a pair of mechanical arms already installed. The walker frames don't.

And it's quite possible to do effective powered armor that way. I've done it, posted the designs here before.

And as far as I know, there's nothing preventing you from stuffing in all the mechanical arms that your chassis's load and CF ratings allow for.

+Quote Post
Large Mike
post Mar 11 2004, 09:57 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 2,062

Man, why don't more people get themselves extra arms. That would r0x0r.

+Quote Post
Glav
post Mar 11 2004, 10:49 PM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 2,411

Because it's disconcerning to see a guy with more than two arms. Just like Hatchetman. ;)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:54 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.