IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Prejudice (Spirits) and Incompetant (Conjuring)
Hagga
post Nov 4 2010, 12:11 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,538

Offshoot from the other thread.

1) With Prejudice, how would you classify spirits? I'm inclined to put them as a 5bp version, since they really aren't that common. Certainly common to a Shadowrunner (Well, some) but not much else.

2) Incompetant (Conjuring skill group) as a negative quality. Spirits are incredibly versatile and you can do all sorts of terrible, terrible things with them. Aside from the saved karma from the skill groups, there isn't a lot to recommend it. Or am I overestimating how valuable a spirit can be to a Shadowrunner? (Or an ally. Banishing is really a bit.. meh, compared to just slamming them with anti-spirit spells.)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Nov 4 2010, 12:22 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 17,814

Well, being Incompetent in Conjuring is three 5pt NQs. Banishing optional, given the Prejudice.

I'd make it a Common prejudice; whether something is common is relative to the character/PCs, not to average people in the setting.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Nov 4 2010, 12:32 PM
Post #3

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

Spirits are not "a group of people". I would not award BP for such a quality.

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Nov 4 2010, 01:04 PM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 18,688

QUOTE (Ryu @ Nov 4 2010, 01:32 PM) *

Buttercup as a spokespirit would have words with you.

+Quote Post
StealthSigma
post Nov 4 2010, 01:17 PM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 17,389

QUOTE (Ryu @ Nov 4 2010, 08:32 AM) *

Sounds like Ryu has a 10BP version of Prejudice against Spirits. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Hagga
post Nov 4 2010, 01:22 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

I'm inclined to regard them as a group because of the composure test required to avoid forcing a confrontation with them. It's slightly more lethal than socially awkward - while the Runner may be able to defeat a spirit, they might have to charge it, heedless of the man with the Mach 10 waiting for someone to come out of cover. Etc. While it's not a given, and you can't tell exactly how they'd react and play out a 'confrontation' it's still likely. Plus, if they encounter a mage with an ally spirit, or a patrolling one, or a military mage patrolling with one and their first instinct is to bellow abuse, or even attack it..

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Nov 4 2010, 04:01 PM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 17,814

Several nations and megacorporations grant citizenship to Free Spirits. The UN is taking it's time, as usual.

+Quote Post
Makki
post Nov 4 2010, 04:52 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 18,036

I once considered Prejudiced (Spirit Conjurer, Outspoken)

+Quote Post
Manunancy
post Nov 4 2010, 04:54 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,940

One problem with such a choice is that it basically forces the whole party to go without spirits and reduces their options when facing them to boot. I don't see someone who intensely dislikes the buggers associating with someone who's summoning them. That means you can't have another magician making up the loss, even as an 'expert for hire' NPC.

So you'd better make sure the other players and the GM are OK with the notion first.

+Quote Post
Hagga
post Nov 5 2010, 01:05 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

I am the GM. Which is really unsettling. While it isn't a character option for any of mine, it was a curiousity, and an afterthought compared to the 'How screwed is someone with incompetent (conjuring, banishing, binding), which was my primary question and not something I wanted to post in the other thread.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:05 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.