Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How does sustaining spells work
Seth
post Nov 6 2010, 08:44 PM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,113

While sustained spells do offer the opportunity to have an ongoing magical effect, they are also draining on the magician’s magical abilities. For each sustained spell the magician maintains, she suffers a –2 dice penalty on all other tests.

I am curious how this applies to spell casters. It is clear that magical tests (drain, spell casting, summoning) are covered, but are non magical abilities also covered?
For example
  • body + armour rolls when avoiding damage
  • willpower + countermagic when avoiding a spell
  • non magical skills (athletics, infiltration, driving, shooting, melee)

I am aware of a few ways of avoiding this penalty:
  • sustaining foci
  • spirits
  • quickening

are their any others?

Thanks for the help

Edit:
I was wrong about drain
Note that wound modifiers or sustained spells have no effect on the character’s dice pool for Drain Resistance Tests.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Makki
post Nov 7 2010, 10:26 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 18,036

I'm pretty sure, non magical skills are not excluded, only passive tests, where you don't need to concentrate.
there's a drug that reduces sustaining modifier.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Nov 7 2010, 12:51 PM
Post #3

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

QUOTE (Seth @ Nov 6 2010, 09:44 PM) *
I was wrong about drain

In general, Resistance Tests (Damage Resistance, Drain Resistance, Spell Resistance (incl. Counterspelling), etc) are not subject to negative dice pool modifiers, unless they specifically apply (like the armor piercing modifier of weapons).

Other than that, it applies to pretty much all magical and non-magical tests.

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Irion
post Nov 7 2010, 01:25 PM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 18,860

In general, Resistance Tests (Damage Resistance, Drain Resistance, Spell Resistance (incl. Counterspelling), etc) are not subject to negative dice pool modifiers, unless they specifically apply (like the armor piercing modifier of weapons).

This is something I really do not get.
A lot of people are saying so, but if I look at the book, it tends to tell me otherwise.
(Or short: I have never heard any explanation for this statement.)

quote from the book:
While sustained spells do offer the opportunity to
have an ongoing magical effect, they are also draining on the
magician’s magical abilities. For each sustained spell the magician
maintains, she suffers a –2 dice penalty on all other tests.

So if I would just read the rules I would stick with all magic related test.
(Spellcasting, counterspelling, drain, summoning, bannishing, etc)

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Nov 7 2010, 03:26 PM
Post #5

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

If you make it just *magic*-related tests, you're really giving the mages a big bonus, I think.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Nov 7 2010, 03:27 PM
Post #6

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Nov 7 2010, 08:26 AM) *
If you make it just *magic*-related tests, you're really giving the mages a big bonus, I think.

That is a definite... it would be huge... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Nov 7 2010, 03:40 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,652

QUOTE (Irion @ Nov 7 2010, 08:25 AM) *
So if I would just read the rules I would stick with all magic related test.
(Spellcasting, counterspelling, drain, summoning, bannishing, etc)

Where do you keep getting magic tests from? It says all other tests. This would obviously include all physical test. It would also include drain/soak/dodge/spell resistance/toxin resist tests, unless there is something somewhere else in the book that specifically excludes those tests from modifiers.

I know it doesn't make any sense that concentrating would make you less able to resist a toxin, but unless there is something else in that section that says otherwise, that is what RAW says should happen.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Nov 7 2010, 03:41 PM
Post #8

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Even if you excluded resistances, it wouldn't be a good idea to exclude shooting, dodging, etc.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Nov 7 2010, 03:43 PM
Post #9

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Nov 7 2010, 10:41 AM) *
Even if you excluded resistances, it wouldn't be a good idea to exclude shooting, dodging, etc.

Well, I don't see why it would effect dodging any more than spell resistance. They are both 'automatic' defenses.

I do agree though, there is definitely no argument for it not effecting shooting or other physical skills.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Nov 7 2010, 05:17 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

QUOTE (Thanee @ Nov 7 2010, 06:51 AM) *

Other than that, it applies to pretty much all magical and non-magical tests.

Bye
Thanee

That's pretty much how I assumed it to happen, although I'm currently at a loss to explain why. Maybe it's listed in the pain modifier section?

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Nov 7 2010, 05:57 PM
Post #11

jacked in

From SR4A p. 184

Step 6: Resist Drain
Note that wound modifiers or sustained spells have no effect on the character’s dice pool for Drain Resistance Tests.

It doesn't actually seem to state the same thing for other Resistance Tests (only that wound modifiers do not count), but it seems fair enough (and most logical) to assume, that those work the same way.

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Nov 7 2010, 06:02 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

See, I still don't have 4A. I need to get it.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Nov 7 2010, 06:11 PM
Post #13

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Thanee @ Nov 7 2010, 12:57 PM) *
From SR4A p. 184

It doesn't actually seem to state the same thing for other Resistance Tests (only that wound modifiers do not count), but it seems fair enough (and most logical) to assume, that those work the same way.

Bye
Thanee

I figured there would be a stated exception. And I do agree about the other resistance tests being a logical conclusion as well, but I don't think that dodge/counterspell would be included in this, and so would suffer the penalty.

+Quote Post
Aku
post Nov 7 2010, 06:11 PM
Post #14

Running, running, running

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,769

QUOTE (Karoline @ Nov 7 2010, 10:40 AM) *
Where do you keep getting magic tests from? It says all other tests. This would obviously include all physical test. It would also include drain/soak/dodge/spell resistance/toxin resist tests, unless there is something somewhere else in the book that specifically excludes those tests from modifiers.

I know it doesn't make any sense that concentrating would make you less able to resist a toxin, but unless there is something else in that section that says otherwise, that is what RAW says should happen.

While sustained spells do offer the opportunity to
have an ongoing magical effect, they are also draining on the
magician’s magical abilities.
For each sustained spell the magician
maintains, she suffers a –2 dice penalty on all other tests.

Emphasis mine.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Nov 7 2010, 06:15 PM
Post #15

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Aku @ Nov 7 2010, 01:11 PM) *
Emphasis mine.

Yes, but those are separate things. One sentence (fluff) says it is a drain on their magical resources. The next sentence (crunch) says -2 penalty on all other tests (As in not the test for the spell you are sustaining). I do see how you could get that it only effects magical skills from that though.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Nov 7 2010, 06:19 PM
Post #16

jacked in

@Karoline: Yep, that is probably right (wound modifiers are applied to dodge rolls as well... this really does mean, that wound modifiers also reduce the already meager dice pools for the opposed test when resisting a spell, right?).

@Aku: Yep, but the next sentence (which is the actual rule, not just the fluffy text) does not state any exceptions.

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Nov 7 2010, 06:22 PM
Post #17

Great Dragon

Well, I'd personally spell resist tests as: The person resisting takes no penalties for wounds, but the person providing counterspelling drops dice from the counterspelling for wounds. Since it is technically a resistance test, but counterspelling is obviously something that requires concentration.

+Quote Post
Aku
post Nov 7 2010, 07:18 PM
Post #18

Running, running, running

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,769

QUOTE (Karoline @ Nov 7 2010, 01:15 PM) *
Yes, but those are separate things. One sentence (fluff) says it is a drain on their magical resources. The next sentence (crunch) says -2 penalty on all other tests (As in not the test for the spell you are sustaining). I do see how you could get that it only effects magical skills from that though.

Well, i'm not REALLY going to disagree, but you DID ask where they were getting the idea from (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Nov 7 2010, 07:29 PM
Post #19

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Aku @ Nov 7 2010, 02:18 PM) *
Well, i'm not REALLY going to disagree, but you DID ask where they were getting the idea from (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Very true, and as I said, I could see where you got it from, just pointing out what the actual RAW was.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Nov 7 2010, 08:30 PM
Post #20

jacked in

QUOTE (Neraph @ Nov 7 2010, 07:02 PM) *
See, I still don't have 4A. I need to get it.

Absolutely! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Seth
post Nov 7 2010, 10:20 PM
Post #21

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 19,113

Thanks for the replies. I think that the following is the consensus of above:

Sustaining spells modifies all rolls that require the spell caster to do something, but not rolls that are happening to the spell caster. For example almost all skill rolls would be affected, but not rolls that you do not consciously control such as "body absorbs damage", "resists toxins", or" resists drain". The implication is that in the quote I gave the use of the words " they are also draining on the magician’s magical abilities" is basically fluff!

I also noted that there isn't a strong consensus on how counterspell should work. I don't have a strong view on this, except to observe that its already very hard to resist spells, and making it harder to resist spells increases the power of magicians. I would thus be tempted to rule that counterspell isn't affected. Especially given that it might not be the magician that is rolling the counterspell: he is lending die to other people as well. I don't have a strong view on this, so am interested in what other people think.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:23 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.