Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Compatibility of Superthyroid Gland and Wired Reflexes/Synaptic Booster/MbW
Eisenbeiß
post Nov 15 2010, 12:56 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,900

How do I have to understand the following sentence from the description of Wired Reflexes (SR4A p. 342)?

"Wired reflexes cannot be combined with any other form of Initiative enhancement, except Reaction Enhancers."

Does it only refer to the incompatibility of different IP-enhancement methods or does it mean that the use of Wired Reflexes (or Synaptic Booster, MbW etc) is mutually exclusive with gaining the reaction bonus of a superthyroid gland. The third and most simple interpretation is that both enhancements can never be implanted into the same character. Which is the right one?

Sorry about this question, but I'm no native speaker.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Nov 15 2010, 01:02 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,652

This gets debated from time to time. I think it is generally take to mean that MbW, Synaptic Boosters, and Wired Reflexes are mutually exclusive, and that is about it. As I said though, it gets debated from time to time, haven't seen one in a while though, so get ready (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
jakephillips
post Nov 15 2010, 01:19 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,852

I normally just do it with things that give extra IP's.

+Quote Post
Laodicea
post Nov 15 2010, 01:20 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,749

QUOTE (jakephillips @ Nov 14 2010, 07:19 PM) *
I normally just do it with things that give extra IP's.

Bingo.

+Quote Post
Pollux710
post Nov 15 2010, 01:20 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,424

Had a character with synaptic boosters and super thyroid. GM called it good, since STG didn't boost IP. That's my 2 cents anyway.

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Nov 15 2010, 03:00 AM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,706

The common confusion on this occurs for two reasons:

First, Wired Reflexes specifically references Reaction Enhancers
Second, Reaction Enhancers states it is incomparable with most other Initiative enhancements.

How it actually works:
Reaction Enhancers are not a form of Initiative enhancement - they do not provide a bonus to your Initiative or Initiative Passes. Instead, they provide a bonus to Reaction. The increased Initiative is a side-effect due to it being a derived attribute.

Anything that states it is incompatible with other forms of Initiative enhancement means it does not work with anything that provides a direct increase to the Initiative derived attribute, or an increase to Initiative Passes.

Reaction Enhancers does not function with most other Initiative enhancements, without defining what "most" actually is. Thus, unless something specifically states it does not function with Reaction Enhancers, they function together normally.

+Quote Post
Zyerne
post Nov 15 2010, 09:51 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,556

I think it's a badly worded hangup from earlier editions. If they'd just put "not compatible with any other form of Initiative Pass enhancement" it would have been a lot simpler.

Back in SR2, Reaction enhancers worked with everything except MBW. MBW could instead be combined with level 1 Synpatic Accelerators for hefty (by SR2 standards) +5D6 to Init.

Of course,in those days, a cyberarm gyro was 1.5 essence and 250k nuyen, so clearly times have changed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Nov 15 2010, 10:02 AM
Post #8

Prime Runner

Member No.: 16,582

I guess that is RAI, but unfortunately RAW is something different. The important phrase is
QUOTE ('SR4A p. 342')
Wired reflexes cannot be combined with any other form of Initiative enhancement, except Reaction Enhancers.

Meaning that, as silly as it sounds, Reaction Enhancers are considered an Initiative enhancement. So anything else that does the same thing (Raise REA) should also be considered Initiative enhancement as well, but since those things are not Reaction Enhancers, they are incompatible.

It becomes really interesting when you read the effect of Wired Reflexes. Contrary to how most people play, this piece of 'ware does not raise Reaction, but provides bonus dice:
QUOTE ('SR4A p. 342')
When activated, wired reflexes confer a bonus of +1 to Reaction and +1 Initiative Pass per point of rating.

So you could max your REA with Reaction Enhancers and still get +1,+2 or +3 to REA and IPs.

+Quote Post
Mäx
post Nov 15 2010, 10:08 AM
Post #9

Prime Runner

Member No.: 15,628

QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Nov 15 2010, 12:02 PM) *
It becomes really interesting when you read the effect of Wired Reflexes. Contrary to how most people play, this piece of 'ware does not raise Reaction, but provides bonus dice:

So you could max your REA with Reaction Enhancers and still get +1,+2 or +3 to REA and IPs.

WHAT (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)
How on earth do you read confers a +1 to reaction and come to conclusin that it doesn't raise your Reaction.

+Quote Post
Zyerne
post Nov 15 2010, 10:12 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

I'm curious if the actual intent was to make reaction enhancers not work with magc/drugs.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Nov 15 2010, 10:17 AM
Post #11

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

Just because "bonus" is also a part of "bonus dice" doesn't mean that every use of the word "bonus" means "bonus dice".

Really not. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Nov 15 2010, 10:18 AM
Post #12

Prime Runner

Because it is worded as a bonus and not as a raised attribute. I remind you about that passage about bonus dice:
QUOTE ('SR4A p.61 A Note on Modifiers')
Shadowrun, Fourth Edition, uses four distinct types of modifiers: Attribute modifiers, Skill modifiers, threshold modifiers, and dice pool modifiers. Attribute and Skill modifiers affect the character’s relevant stats directly, resulting in augmented Attribute Ratings and modified Skill Ratings respectively (see Attribute Ratings, p. 68, and Skill Ratings, p. 68).
[...]
The type of modifier in question is noted in the description of each modifier. Should there be any doubt, assume the modifier is a dice pool modifier.

Since the description of Wired Reflexes does not say anything about raising the Attribute Rating we must assume it is a dice pool modifier.

+Quote Post
Zyerne
post Nov 15 2010, 10:27 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

If you can get that interpretion past a GM, I'll salute you.

Couple of other excerpts, bioware this time.

Suprathryroid: 'Attribute bonus'

Synthacardium: 'Dice pool modifier'

Personally, I'm not in any doubt that the reaction bonus from WR is an attribute bonus. This is confirmed by all the pregens that show it as included in the statline as an augmented attribute.

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Nov 15 2010, 10:30 AM
Post #14

Prime Runner

I think it is RAI for them to be augmented Attributes, but that is not RAW.
I never said, I would want to play them as dice pool modifiers.
The problem is that the writers never use consistent terminology.

+Quote Post
Zyerne
post Nov 15 2010, 10:41 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

One man's RAW is another man's RAI, I guess.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Nov 15 2010, 12:29 PM
Post #16

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,652

QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Nov 15 2010, 05:30 AM) *

You know what really sucks? If wired reflexes is really a DP bonus to reaction (which it isn't), that means it doesn't increase your initiative at all, because initiative is based on the stat, not the DP, and the reaction DP doesn't come into effect when rolling initiative.

Personally I can't read "+1 bonus to [attribute]" as anything but an Attribute Modifier.

Note that synaptic boosters suffer this same problem. As does MbW since it says '+2 bonus to reaction attribute' and not a '+2 reaction attribute modifier'.

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Nov 15 2010, 12:36 PM
Post #17

Prime Runner

QUOTE (Karoline @ Nov 15 2010, 01:29 PM) *
You know what really sucks? If wired reflexes is really a DP bonus to reaction (which it isn't), that means it doesn't increase your initiative at all, because initiative is based on the stat, not the DP, and the reaction DP doesn't come into effect when rolling initiative.
I agree. There may even be a reason, why Improved Reflexes explicitly includes this effect:
QUOTE ('SR4A p. 196')
For each level, you receive +1 die to Reaction (this also affects
Initiative) and 1 extra Initiative Pass.
This one is clear though that it is a dice pool modifier.
Too bad you can no longer increase REA, except with drugs after taking this power.

QUOTE (Karoline @ Nov 15 2010, 01:29 PM) *
Note that synaptic boosters suffer this same problem. As does MbW since it says '+2 bonus to reaction attribute' and not a '+2 reaction attribute modifier'.
Yup.

+Quote Post
StealthSigma
post Nov 15 2010, 01:00 PM
Post #18

Runner

Member No.: 17,389

QUOTE (Zyerne @ Nov 15 2010, 05:27 AM) *
Synthacardium: 'Dice pool modifier'

Which means that Synthacardium does not apply against the augmented cap for those skills.

--

QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Nov 15 2010, 05:30 AM) *

Any player would love for them to be played as dice pool modifiers over attribute increases. Maximizes your dice pool since it doesn't count against the augmented cap.

--

Just to throw the various attribute increasing augments together (SR4 only)....

Cyberware
<Material> bone lacing confers a bonus of +X to the Body attribute for damage resistance tests.
Muscle replacement increase both the Strength and Agility attributes by its rating.
Add the rating of reaction enhancers to a character's Reaction attribute.
When activated, wired reflexes confer a bonus of +1 to Reaction and +1 Initiative Pass per point of rating.

Bioware
Increase the recipient's Body by the bone density rating for damage resistance tests.
Muscle augmentation adds its rating to the character's Strength.
Muscle toner adds its rating to the character's Agility.
The suprathyroid gland provides an attribute bonus of +1 to the user's Body, Agility, Reaction, and Strength.
The cerebral booster augments the user's Logic attribute by its rating.
The booster confers a bonus of +1 Reaction and +1 Initiative Pass per point of rating. (Synaptic Booster)

+Quote Post
StealthSigma
post Nov 15 2010, 01:03 PM
Post #19

Runner

Member No.: 17,389

Edit.

+Quote Post
Mäx
post Nov 15 2010, 01:05 PM
Post #20

Prime Runner

QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Nov 15 2010, 12:18 PM) *
Because it is worded as a bonus and not as a raised attribute. I remind you about that passage about bonus dice:

Since the description of Wired Reflexes does not say anything about raising the Attribute Rating we must assume it is a dice pool modifier.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohplease.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)
It very clearly says you get +1 to Reaction per rating, how you can read that as not saying it raises the attributes rating i really can't fathom.

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Nov 15 2010, 01:20 PM
Post #21

Prime Runner

QUOTE (Mäx @ Nov 15 2010, 02:05 PM) *
Because it actually does not say that it adds to the Attribute Rating. It only says it gives a bonusto Reaction. So it is not clearly an Attribute Augmentation and p. 61 tells us that when in doubt use it as a dice pool modifier.

Just to reiterate, neither do I play it as a dice pool modifier, nor do I want to. This is an exercise to to see what happens if you follow RAW to the letter.

+Quote Post
Mäx
post Nov 15 2010, 01:35 PM
Post #22

Prime Runner

No it just say that you get a bonus and that bonus is +1 to Reaction and +1 IP.
+1 to attribute is a terminology that the books uses in multiple places and it allways refers to a increas in the attribute rating.

By your twisted reading there are very few thinks in the game that actually augments someone's attributes.

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Nov 15 2010, 01:41 PM
Post #23

Prime Runner

QUOTE (Mäx @ Nov 15 2010, 02:35 PM) *
By your twisted reading there are very few thinks in the game that actually augments someone's attributes.
Right, this is why I advocate a clear and consistent terminology in the rules section. "raises the Attribute by its Rating" would work in any case, where an augmented Attribute is supposed to be created. "adds X dice to tests involving [Attribute]" for everything else.
This would also make the description of Bone Lacing and Combat Sense a lot less ambiguous.

+Quote Post
Mäx
post Nov 15 2010, 02:37 PM
Post #24

Prime Runner

QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Nov 15 2010, 03:41 PM) *
Right, this is why I advocate a clear and consistent terminology in the rules section.

More consistency would always be nice, but +x Attribute is consistently used to prefer to an augmentation to attribute y.

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Nov 15 2010, 02:41 PM
Post #25

Prime Runner

And it is consistently unclear. Especially since there are othere instances where different wording is used although the same thing may be meant:
QUOTE ('SR4A p. 342')
Add the rating of reaction enhancers to a character’s Reaction attribute
(this will also affect Initiative).

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:47 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.