Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Reflex Sights, A quick question
crash2029
post Nov 25 2010, 09:41 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
From: The seemingly unknown area of land between Seattle and Idaho.
Member No.: 9,910

Howdy all. I am working on a new Mako catalog and several of the pictures I made have reflex sights on them. I was thinking of including them in the game rules for the weapons using the rules for laser lights. I realize that century-old imaging technology is probably passe, but then optical scopes are older. Anyways what do y'all think?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kzt
post Nov 25 2010, 09:53 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

Reflex sights are faster to use then lasers, the "chase the dot" problem doesn't occur.

But the combat rules are such a total heap of total cluelessness it's hard to make any changes without having the whole tottering pile come crashing down.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Nov 26 2010, 02:44 AM
Post #3

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

I've sometimes described a weapon statted out with a laser sight as having a reflex/red-dot instead. I don't see a huge enough difference in their effectiveness or usage -- especially given the abstract nature of combat to begin with -- in just considering them as the game equivalent of a laser (though only as a top mount accessory).

+Quote Post
Pollux710
post Nov 27 2010, 09:16 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,424

I've used both extensively in the military. My honest opinion, in terms of rule play you could have it provide the same bonus. They fundamentally do the same thing (i.e. help you aim) they are simply designated in different locations. The only thing I could see is its placement, a reflex sight is not going to be on the bottom slot of the weapon, so it could take up a scope (top slot), though having a reflex sight on a heavy pistol is more feasible than having a scope (unless you're a redneck).

+Quote Post
crash2029
post Nov 27 2010, 10:20 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

From: The seemingly unknown area of land between Seattle and Idaho.
Member No.: 9,910

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm thinking I will have the game rules say to treat it as a top-mounted laser sight. I appreciate the help.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Nov 27 2010, 10:28 PM
Post #6

Old Man Jones

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,699

Even this guy uses a Reflex Sight.

-k

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Nov 28 2010, 11:55 PM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 98

We've always had them basically be laser sights, top mount only. Minor (obvious) tweaks being that you can't gain the benefit firing from a position where you can't see the sight (around a serious ballistic shield, for example), but you don't project a visible dot. Most people prefer them over lasers if they don't need the top mount for something else.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:22 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.