IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

15 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> War! Gear & Rules, What's good, iffy, needs fixing or a complete revamp?
Daishi
post Dec 28 2010, 02:03 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,522

There are a few topics on War!, but for this thread, let's focus on making that last chapter hum. Sorry, Bogota, but you will remain ignored.

What new rules or gear added by War! is solid as stands and you're eager or willing to see incorporated into your campaigns (assuming it fits the power level)? What reservations do you have? What do you think needs a bit of tweaking to fit right? What is totally broken? If something is broken, how should we fix it? Please be specific and provide your reasoning.

To start with, the one item that's probably gotten the most razzing is the Slow spell. Sounds great in concept, but in practice the nearly immediate deceleration to 1 m/s neutralizes every ballistic and explosive weapon in the game at a trivial force, and also splats the HALO team it was supposed to help insert. Whoops. Off the top of my head, I think it might work better if Slow applied a deceleration based on Force. Say Accel rating equal to 10 x Force with a max load of 200 kg per net hit. Guns still work, but it can be used for parachuting. Drop the Drain code by 1 to account for the restricted effect. Alternatively, just use a Mass Levitate variation. Add +2 to the drain on Levitate and make it Area effect.

As has been colorfully noted elsewhere, whoever added Ballast Tanks to the naval vessels may have meant well but didn't read Arsenal all that carefully since that particular modification only applies to submersibles. It's an easy fix to just ignore that Standard Modification on all but the submarines.

On the other hand, I think the new Milspec Matrix Gear is largely solid. I like having the rules for everything over 6, and the costs/availability seem to scale appropriately to keep them in only high-end campaigns. My big gripe is that the ratings on the commlinks look backwards. I would expect that higher Signal matters more than higher Response to all military grunts but the hackers. I'd be happier to flip those values.

Thoughts on this or anything else in that chapter?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tzeentch
post Dec 28 2010, 02:40 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 459

-- My 4e rules-fu is a bit weak but:

Nuclear weapons (p. 159) have a damage dropoff far higher than non-nuclear THOR kinetic shots (-6/m vs -5/100m). I assume this is in error. In general the blast rules are a bit bizarre anyways. For reference see the RAND study.

Nuclear damage in general is anemic beyond the "devastated" radius. The smallest nuke they note (130P, -6m, c. 20m devastated radius) does only 4P damage at 21 meters. This is like Rifts.

Mine Detectors (p. 165) are so highly exothermic they can be seen under 2 meters of soil! How this works or why it doesn't damage or destroy the mine in the process is unknown. It also implies these things can detect mines at over 2 meters under soil and dig down or something. Fantastically bizarre logic on this one.

Mine Concealers (p. 165) are extremely unimpressive.

Not sure why it's necessary that the Abdulla (p. 172) needs such a large crew (121) with 2070's automation technology. Just a detail quibble.

Shadowrun aircraft have lost the capability to launch cruise missiles (p. 174) as they require a vertical launch system.

Not sure what the point of the Self-Contained Personnel Compartment (pp. 175-177) is, given the size and cost.

Designate (p. 178) presumably also duplicates all encryption of the designators (otherwise it wouldn't work) which should let you spoof any enemy designators as well.

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Dec 28 2010, 03:01 AM
Post #3

Deus Absconditus

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,566

Nuclear damage in general is anemic beyond the "devastated" radius. The smallest nuke they note (130P, -6m, c. 20m devastated radius) does only 4P damage at 21 meters. This is like Rifts.

If this is taken to be -6/100m, then it deals 4p at 2.1 km, which is about right for tactical theatre-based nuclear weapons of about 1.5, 2 kilotons? Bigger than a davy crockett, about the size of the W25 fired on the AIR-2 Genie missile? So I suspect the nuclear damage is supposed to be -6/100m, like Thor shots.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Dec 28 2010, 03:03 AM
Post #4

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 8,314

QUOTE (Tzeentch @ Dec 27 2010, 09:40 PM) *
Designate (p. 178) presumably also duplicates all encryption of the designators (otherwise it wouldn't work) which should let you spoof any enemy designators as well.

I wasn't going to post anything more in any topic that's even remotely linked to WAR, but I had to comment on this one.

It's brilliant. If I was GM at your table, you'd get a Karma just for coming up with it, and maybe another one for pulling it off.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Dec 28 2010, 03:13 AM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=33763

+Quote Post
otakusensei
post Dec 28 2010, 03:41 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,514

QUOTE (Aaron @ Dec 27 2010, 10:03 PM) *
I wasn't going to post anything more in any topic that's even remotely linked to WAR, but I had to comment on this one.

It's brilliant. If I was GM at your table, you'd get a Karma just for coming up with it, and maybe another one for pulling it off.

So can my mage learn the Encrypt spell at some point? That precedent seems like it could get really hairy...

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 28 2010, 04:02 AM
Post #7

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Only if you can encode the more general Encrypt spell as encryption on a designator-using indirect-fire weapon.

Too tired to think if this could be made to work, but I think it would be complicated.

Edit: actually, what's the wording on the spell? I think you could use this for secure key transmission, if it's liberal enough. Have the sending party encode the key in the encryption for an indirect-fire weapon, then have the receiving party go into a signal-tight bunker and Designate for the weapon, using an appropriate recorder to record the Designated signal.

~J

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Dec 28 2010, 04:06 AM
Post #8

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

Personally, the idea of magic emulating tech encryption just gives me the screaming heebie jeebies.

What's next, a "hack the Matrix" spell?

-k

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Dec 28 2010, 04:16 AM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Dec 27 2010, 11:06 PM) *
Personally, the idea of magic emulating tech encryption just gives me the screaming heebie jeebies.

What's next, a "hack the Matrix" spell?

I think that's a technomancer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Dec 28 2010, 04:58 AM
Post #10

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

Okay, I walked right into that one, didn't I?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotate.gif)

Seriously, though. Magic and tech shouldn't be mixing, at least not that easily.

-k

+Quote Post
otakusensei
post Dec 28 2010, 05:47 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,514

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Dec 27 2010, 11:58 PM) *
Okay, I walked right into that one, didn't I?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotate.gif)

Seriously, though. Magic and tech shouldn't be mixing, at least not that easily.

-k

Not on that level, certainly.

+Quote Post
Tzeentch
post Dec 28 2010, 06:04 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

-- I'm guessing the writer thought that target designators are fancy flashlights, which magic could replicate easily.

+Quote Post
Cthulhudreams
post Dec 28 2010, 09:16 AM
Post #13

Runner

Member No.: 12,328

The biggest rules issue is the rules for combining damage when you duct tape grenades or whatever together. It's not strictly equipment, but you need to fix it.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Dec 28 2010, 09:25 AM
Post #14

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

Do any of you mind if I use this thread as a basis for a fan-made errata?

+Quote Post
LurkerOutThere
post Dec 28 2010, 09:33 AM
Post #15

Runner

Member No.: 17,234

Without trying to start fights, can you limit yourself to that?

The military grimore section gives me a headache. I dislike several of the spells and powers both on a universe level and a game balance level.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Dec 28 2010, 09:37 AM
Post #16

The King In Yellow

Many spells need to be severely nerfed (for instance, slow needs to lose the bullet stop capacity; that might be another spell called "bullet stop" where every hit will stop a bullet fired at you or something). The Designator spell needs to stop being Spoof magic. It'll be more than swapping a few numbers, but I think it can be done with Errata insterad of a total rewrite. The Really Huge Numbers Of Dice rules though, need a total rewrite and a staging system, since the SR4 damage system breaks down with these numbers. That'll probably be 'optional rules', since we decided against a total rewrite.

+Quote Post
Tzeentch
post Dec 28 2010, 10:33 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

The forums ate my response (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

Arsenal

p. 44
-- If I'm reading this right the armor capacity example is incorrect, as Fire Resistance 5 is either [2] (on the table) or [10] (2*Rating, which does not appear to be how the rules work). Not sure if this is an existing errata.

War!

p. 156 Anti-Tank Rounds.
[SUGG] Either remove as redundant with APDS or eliminate availability for sniper rifles.
Reason: Most sniper rifles use battle rifle caliber ammunition so the "large-bore" limitation is nonsensical.

p. 156 Armor-Piercing Flechette
-- These are effectivelly AP Mod -5, which may be a balance concern.

p. 156 Sensor Rounds
[SUGG] Add "The sensor is destroyed on impact."
Reason: The rules imply it only scans along the ballistic path. This would make it explicit.

p. 157 Gecko Grenade
-- Note that it only can attach to solid surfaces. Quick readers may miss that part.

p. 159 Nuclear Weapons
-- The devastated/damage dropoffs are nonsensical across weapons, but we will ignore that for the moment.
[SUGG] Change example damage to "130P, -6/100m"
Reason: As written only Rifts nuclear weapons have more bizarre damage effects.

p. 160 Aesir Guidance Laser and Aesir Guidance Beacon
[SUGG] Remove and replace with note that you can use a normal target designator (Arsenal, p. 34).
Reason: Redundant with existing rules.

p. 162 Milspec-Software
[SUGG] Delete.
Reason: So the corps intentionally cripple their own capabilities? That seems highly unlikely.

p. 162 Tactical Satellite Mapping
[SUGG] Change to Tactical Map or simply delete.
Reason: This doesn't even neeed a satellite to work. Anyways, this should be something that is part and parcel of a tactical network.

p. 163 Armor Foam
-- Someone with better rules-fu than me should comment on the balance of it being an instant Armor 14 structure. Rules lawyers could argue that a spray application to any vehicle would add the Armor as no minimum thickness is specified.

p. 163 MCT Gun Pit
-- So the soldier has to climb a 1 meter wall to get into or out of this pit?

p. 163 Emergency Field Dressing
-- This thing is big time munchkin bait. Simply apply it to yourself to benefit from the High Pain Tolerance 2 quality, injured or not.

p. 165 Mine Detector
[SUGG] Change entire description to:
Mine Detectors: These soft nanobots are sprayed in an area, where they settle into the ground and form an ad-hoc sensor network. They can detect most mines or other explosives to a depth of up to two meters after ten minutes.
Reason: The existing description is nonsensical. This is just a bit less nonsensical (I still ignore how exactly they "settle into the ground") (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

p. 171 Hull Breaches and Sinking
-- These rules are nonsensical and need to be replaced. A starting point may be that the vessel can withstand a number of breaches equal to its Structure or something.

p. 172 Central Industries Tortuga-Class Cruiser
[SUGG] Remove Ballast Tanks 2

p. 173 Harland & Wolff Blackjack-Class Destroyer

p. 173 KM Jagdpferd-Class Missile Boat

p. 173 MosTrans Colombo-Class Cargo Ship

p. 173 Shiawase Hikigaeru-Class Amphibious Assault Carrier

p. 173 YNT Shibanokuji-Class Aircraft Carrier

p. 174 Cruise Missiles
[SUGG] Replace second sentence with:
It requires a vertical launch system (p. 177) or reinforced weapon mount (Arsenal, p. 147) to be deployed, using Exotic Ranged Weapons (Cruise Missile) + Logic.
Reason: Otherwise aircraft can't carry them.

p. 178 Designate
[SUGG] Delete.
Reason: Unnecessary and creeps towards ability of magic to count as specialized high tech equipment.

p. 178 Slow
[SUGG] Delete.
Reason: Problematic. A similar thematic spell could probably use the same name, with simpler mechanics.

+Quote Post
Tzeentch
post Dec 28 2010, 11:05 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

-- Also probably errata is that none of the War! vehicles have ECCM. Not one.

+Quote Post
Mäx
post Dec 28 2010, 11:10 AM
Post #19

Prime Runner

Member No.: 15,628

QUOTE (Tzeentch @ Dec 28 2010, 12:33 PM) *
p. 156 Armor-Piercing Flechette
-- These are effectivelly AP Mod -5, which may be a balance concern.

WHUT, yes they don't have the AP +5 that normal flechette has, but that doesn't mean it effectively has an AP mod of -5

+Quote Post
Tzeentch
post Dec 28 2010, 11:20 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

QUOTE (Mäx @ Dec 28 2010, 12:10 PM) *
WHUT, yes they don't have the AP +5 that normal flechette has, but that doesn't mean it effectively has an AP mod of -5

-- Yeah that's a bit more strongly worded than I had originally (first post got ate by the forum). It's a flechette with all the advantages and none of the drawbacks.

SR4A, p. 324 DM +2, APM +5, Impact, Avail 2R, 100 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif)
War!, p. 156 DM +2, APM --, Impact, Avail 18F (APDS is 16F), 160 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif)

+Quote Post
Dahrken
post Dec 28 2010, 11:48 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,693

More on the Barrier foam : you can put enough of the stuff in a grenade (that's what, 500 g - 1 pound ?) to create 8 cubic meters of a material with an Armor 14, Structure 8.. Biullet-proff soap bubbles, without magic !

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Dec 28 2010, 11:51 AM
Post #22

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

The problem with "cruise missles" is that it is used to describe anything from a exocet to a tomahawk. I suspect the author had the latter in mind when writing up the section, as the former was (to a degree) covered by the launch weapons in arsenal.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Dec 28 2010, 12:07 PM
Post #23

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (Daishi @ Dec 28 2010, 03:03 AM) *
On the other hand, I think the new Milspec Matrix Gear is largely solid.

You think it's solid if Response 7+ that was labeled R&D stuff is a simple stock item? That Program rated 7+ had severe restrictions in Unwired and now simply just degrade?
Solid that Arsenal lists commlinks for military armor as rating 4-6 and now it's easily 7+? Nevermind that Signal 7+ was stated to be commercially available instead of illegal, just too large to be put into commlinks.
Maybe you even think it's solid that a military spider can have a commlink that has better ratings than the uplink of the Corporate Court as specified in Unwired. Then it sure is solid that said spider can upgrade his commlink to run as an UV node, right?

+Quote Post
hermit
post Dec 28 2010, 12:12 PM
Post #24

The King In Yellow

Thanks for the Suggestions Tzeentch.

It is solid with the Base Rules, I guess that was what Daishi meant (and it is, at least, more solid than the 3-digit damage codes); it is not solid with any of the core expansions. But those are not required reading. Of course, the author is the same who wrote good parts of Unwired's rules ...

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Dec 28 2010, 12:26 PM
Post #25

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (Tzeentch @ Dec 28 2010, 11:33 AM) *
p. 162 Tactical Satellite Mapping
[SUGG] Change to Tactical Map or simply delete.
Reason: This doesn't even neeed a satellite to work. Anyways, this should be something that is part and parcel of a tactical network.

It's what a MapSoft or TacSoft already does.

+Quote Post

15 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:24 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.