IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help beta test!, Beta test my latest project.
Fionnoulla
post Dec 31 2010, 09:42 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,103

Hello all, I have another project that I would like you to test and give feedback on. In this test we are doing character entry to a database that is a small part of a much larger project I am working on.

The site address is: http://www.5150press.com/shadowrun/

For a fun factor I added a page that allows testers to rate characters that have been entered. So enter your favorite characters and see what people think of them!

As always I welcome all comments and encourage you to suggest features that others will find useful.

Note: Keep in mind that though the application tracks aspects of new character creation under Shadowrun 4 rules it is not meant to be a character generator, allowing for characters with any amount of experience to be entered.

Thank you all for your past support on my little projects and I look forward to reading feedback on this project.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tagz
post Dec 31 2010, 10:39 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,440

I'd recommend posting this again in the Community Projects section because 1) Sorta belongs there, & 2) It won't be bumped off the front page so quickly.

+Quote Post
Game2BHappy
post Dec 31 2010, 10:52 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,355

One thing I'd suggest adding to that front page is more than just a note about what it is not. Perhaps include a note about what the application actually is? As it is, it might sound more negative than I'm guessing you intend. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Summerstorm
post Dec 31 2010, 10:58 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 17,225

Hm... excellent tool. Just entered a character, but had some troubles.

Suggestions:

Have a easy "Back" button opposite to the "next" one.

Excellent listing of stuff. Add Nanosystems and Nanoware. (My first Character i entered has lot Nanosystems and Nanites, no possibility to display them)

For some equipment and Cyberware it is logical to have multiples. For example the character i entered would have TWO Autoinjectores and multiple sets of armour. Also there will be a lot people with multiple sets of guns (maybe slightly different modules)

Allow for displaying multiple "Loadouts", where i can choose equipment belonging to the "loadout"-Slot (one piece of equipment may belong to multiple loadouts). There you should have an armour value and a stealth- value field ready for input (so people can see how much damage the character will absorb in different scenarios, and how hard it is to see/hear him) - Also display the attributes and skills on the same page.

This would allow easy access to characters for use as "Ready-to-field" NPC's in sessions.

Overall: great tool to check for inconsistencies and to have a great overview over your character. I assume i can get the chance to edit characters when it is possible to get a real login?

BUGS:
I somehow got Aeronautical Mechanic without taking it. Also i have gotten a full suite of programs. I was just clicking "next". Had no comlink taken and so didn't bother with programs.

Program cut decimals behind the height (and maybe weight too), this makes my 2.4 Fomori 2 meters tall... Let the user input the height in centimeters then, not meters.

Some misspelled words, (height and weight for example)

+Quote Post
Fionnoulla
post Jan 1 2011, 12:32 AM
Post #5

Target

Good Idea, tagz... I'm reposting it over in Community projects.
Game2BHappy & Summerstorm thank you for the feedback... I'll post the rest of my replies in the new post.

+Quote Post
Seth
post Jan 1 2011, 06:10 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 19,113

Firstly I should say that I like the idea of an online database of characters: making characters is fun, and its nice to see other peoples ideas of characters. Its also good when you are going to run a quick game with friends and you can just point them at the database.
Secondly I applaud you for getting the website live even at this early stage: getting feedback from people is far and away the best way to make a good tool

Well done and good luck with it.

Now for the feedback
I started entering a character "Mole".
  • I am not too used to thinking about people in kg and m. I usually rate people in feet / inches and stones/pounds.
  • I like the way to enter positive qualities. It was nice and simple and I could find the ones I wanted to use
  • I couldn't find how to enter race / skills / cyberware / bioware / spells

In addition there was no way to find my way back to my half entered character: I entered some stuff. Moved away from the site. Came back and lost the stuff I had entered.

I would seriously suggest you consider using something like Drupal for this website: it has a steep learning curve but it has awesome modules. You obviously are already happy with php and you can embed your own stuff in, so just go look at a few examples!

Edit: I went back in and tried again to enter skills etc and worked out how to do it. I am leaving the original feedback so that you know I had a problem there

More feedback:
  • When we are entering multiple qualities, I cannot easily see which ones I have entered. I have the total in front of me, but I am entering them by copying from another place its easy to get lost
  • Same feedback for qualities when entering spells. I was trying to copy 12 spells in and got lost
  • Contacts might be groups, and groups have a size modifier
  • I cannot enter manipulation spells
  • When I added spells e.g. Increase Attribute, I couldn't say which attribute had been increased
  • While I was entering the cyberware, I couldn't see what cyberware I had added. So my arm got added twice. I cannot work out how to remove the incorrect arm.
  • I couldn't see how to add the mods to the cyberarm (but prehaps that was me just not finding them)
  • I could only see the results at the end, and I couldn't go back and correct them
  • There was no place to enter free form text so that I could add my own stuff

+Quote Post
Makki
post Jan 1 2011, 07:48 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 18,036

calculation of knowledge points is way off.
I didn't like having to skip all the gear categories which I won't need anyway.
And I need a "Back" or "Delete" Button, in case I made a mistake.

+Quote Post
Fionnoulla
post Jan 2 2011, 09:08 PM
Post #8

Target

Thank you all for the feedback, I moved the thread over to community projects and will be posting replies there

here is a clicky: http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=33862

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:36 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.