IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anyone else make really odd characters?, Or have I been watching too much TV?
InfinityzeN
post Jan 3 2011, 12:55 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,707

I've found in the last couple of days that I've been building some really odd characters. The first was a pimp, which was an interesting and highly modified Face. He had 9 normal contacts and a group contact. Of course, how many characters do you know which will end up with the group contact "Hoes & Bitches". Of course he had a SUV with Pimped Ride II, the "Bitch Slap" specality on unarmed, "Da Funk" & "Strip Clubs" as knowledge skills, a criminal SIN, the Dayjob "Pimpin" & Dependent "Hoes & Bitches" flaws, and the perfect excuse to spout out some really crazy lines in game.

The other crazy character I built in the last few days was a Chemist. Maybe I've been watching to many episodes of "Breaking Bad", because he came out kinda like that. A once family man who just got all kinda messed up with near death and the loss of his family, tossing 20 dice for brewing drugs (18 other cem), 18 dice for demo, and 17 dice for all medic skills (plus equipment bonuses). Although not the best on the active side, he is hell on wheels in support and role playing. Plus for self started money making, he is pure $$$.

So anyone else come up with some totally off the wall characters that seem unworkable, but actually manage to work while staying true to their concept? (BTW, Pimp was Karma Gen and Chemist was BP so I'm not picky there)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jan 3 2011, 01:21 AM
Post #2

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

Well . . depends on what you take ti mean unworkable . .
I had some strange characters, that had strange little gimmicks.

DeSync had all possible ear and voice work and built in speakers that he used to make his voice really annoyingly hard to listen to by going through several tones and octaves while speaking. And to make his own voice not synchronice to the movement of his own lips.

Next i had Blurry, who used all kinds of technological shenanigans to basically make himself as hard to look at as possible. Think the active predator camouflage while moving, but you can still see him clearly. Outline of his eyes for example and the eyes themselves, but the rest of him, including clothes was in a constant state of optical flux.

Next was the disguised freak, who NEVER EVER looked the same as he did the last time ANYBODY of the team had seen him. Literally. Including new hair-colour, eye-colour, skin-colour, facial structure, retinal and voice and finger print, to some extent even a different body shape . . if i did not completely loathe adepts, i would have made it so he would be able to go from dwarf to ork or elf or human and back.

Hmm, the Firefighter? Basically completely built to be as perfect a firefighter as possible.

Also, Darkwing Duck. Yes, really, it works.

And Banshee, after i got my GM drunk and bribed him with sweets . . basically, a completely cybernetic version of the sound rifle.

The Modular Man. Think bender when he tries to flush himself down a drain. Where other people have rows and rows of clothes in their closet, he had limbs over limbs.
And really cheap ass used cyber-hands he would leave in other peoples hands when shaking them. Basically:*holds out hand* "hi! nice to meet you!" and when the other person grasps his hand and starts shaking it, the hand detaches at the wrist and he walks away still chatting to the other person as if nothing had happened.
And he left useless cyberhands as his trademark calling card when he had done a run in certain locations.

Hmm . . what else . . ah, yes, of course . . Sailor Soldiers. Yes, i got the idea from dumpshock.
Bobby Drake, the Iceman of X-Men-Comics. Also the human Torch from the fantastic four. Ghostrider. Batman. Spiderman. Cyclops(had to get my GM drunk and bribed again for this one, so i could get an implanted weapon grade laser) . .

Once i got tasked with making a face, the question changed from "do you know anybody who?" to "who do you know that?"

I'm pretty certain if i went through my database, i'd find many more such characters.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Jan 3 2011, 05:00 AM
Post #3

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...well letsee, there was Babydoll, my troll face adept who also had the First Impression and Exceptional Attribute: Charisma qualities.

...then there was my 1 million (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) bio boosted baseball throwing Tomoe Sasaki who's preferred means of attack was the "beanball"(and she was rather effective with it). In her backstory, she was the great great granddaughter of the Seattle Mariner's legendary closer Kazuhiro Sasaki.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Jan 3 2011, 12:42 PM
Post #4

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

Punk rocker with no appreciable weapons skill.

Dog shaman whose dominant skills were in agriculture and animal husbandry.

I get worse in the other game though. I just can't take it seriously. Dwarven rouge (wears red, gender is D for 'dwarf'). My wife and I were going to make a pair of gay bards, but never got around to it.

It's alright. You're a looney (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Just accept it and enjoy the game.

+Quote Post
binarywraith
post Jan 3 2011, 01:45 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 18,659

I had a player in my last game decide to make 'Sho'nuff, Shogun of Redmond'.

Complete with the adapt powers with geasa to manifest The Glow.

It was great.

+Quote Post
Jareth Valar
post Jan 3 2011, 01:58 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,160

QUOTE (binarywraith @ Jan 3 2011, 08:45 AM) *
I had a player in my last game decide to make 'Sho'nuff, Shogun of Redmond'.

Complete with the adapt powers with geasa to manifest The Glow.

It was great.

OMFG, that is AWESOME. I loved The Last Dragon.

I had a player make Wade Parker. Sort of the bastard offspring of Deadpool and Spidergirl...mouth and all. (he was WAY too good at it. Good enough that I even broke the 4th wall a time or 2) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/embarrassed.gif)

I played a character inspired by Dark Claw (DC/Marvel Amalgum), but my all time favorate character I played was BOOMER! He was a dwarf demo expert/adept that I convinced my GM to let me put all of my points into Mystic Armor, specific to ONLY explosions. He tended to wear most of his....in vest form. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/spin.gif) and when he ran into a place/situation that needed his special talants, he would go "he..ehehheh...BBOOOOOOMM!" in a very Beavis like voice.

+Quote Post
Cochise
post Jan 3 2011, 05:13 PM
Post #7

Mr. Quote-function

Member No.: 1,376

QUOTE (InfinityzeN @ Jan 3 2011, 01:55 AM) *
So anyone else come up with some totally off the wall characters that seem unworkable, but actually manage to work while staying true to their concept? (BTW, Pimp was Karma Gen and Chemist was BP so I'm not picky there)

Well, I sure had some strange characters - however most of them under the SR3 ruleset - that nominally should have gone they way of the dodo rather quickly but somehow survived rather long:

1. "Brickhead": A dwarven adept with adept powers and some SURGE-traits, coupled with a psychosis that made him believe that he actually was a troll ... He was so much into that "I'm a troll"-attitude that - except for clothing - he even refused to use gear that wasn't troll-modified, thus receiving serious TN-modifiers with whatever he did.
  2. "Bummer": (numerically) high skilled gunslinger with a serious problem ... his incompetence with pistols and submachine guns - which were his preferred types of weaponry - along with a cyber-rejection that disallowed him to even partially compensate with a smartlink.
  3. "Neo": A magician adept totally focused around the theme of his Matrix-namesake with the little twist that the physical world is his "Matrix", the metaplanes being the "real world" (thus being more or less unreachable for him, until he get's the limited astral projection metatechnique from SotA'64), the astral plane being his means of seeing the "code" of the "Matrix" and his spell casting and conjuring abilities plus adept powers being his power to alter the "Matrix" ... He always got some very high raised eyebrows ... particularly whenever he envied other magicians for their projection ability and whenever he displayed his rage about their "stubbornness" about the true nature of the "Matrix" and the other planes.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jan 3 2011, 05:21 PM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

Tinker Toy, the modular cuyberman.

All of his limbs had guns in them, were modular, and were drones. When combat started he "fell to pieces" as his limbs detached and became drones (and then he'd jump in and rig one).

Came about as a friend (who never played ShadowRun, or any other table top RPG, but liked the idea) was trying to figure out just how far you could push the cyberware rules. I think we even determined that a cyberskull can be modular and fly around.

Only issue is that you can't fit any interesting guns into cyberlimbs. Can't even fit a shotgun in an arm (needs 11 capacity! Arms only have 9)*

*Last I recall. I sorta whipped up a quick-e version in DK's spreadsheet and never fleshed out the character.

+Quote Post
Dahrken
post Jan 3 2011, 05:29 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,693

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jan 3 2011, 06:21 PM) *
I think we even determined that a cyberskull can be modular and fly around.

That is IMHO pretty abusive, as a cyberskull is basically a shell build around tour brain and probably at least some of your natural skull, and the blood to keep it supplied with nutrients and oxygen comes from the organs (natural or augmented) in your torso.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jan 3 2011, 05:43 PM
Post #10

The ShadowComedian

Wait . . a modular cyberskull?
And why can shotguns not be put into limbs?
That allways fit, didn't it? O.o

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jan 3 2011, 05:53 PM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (Dahrken @ Jan 3 2011, 12:29 PM) *
That is IMHO pretty abusive, as a cyberskull is basically a shell build around tour brain and probably at least some of your natural skull, and the blood to keep it supplied with nutrients and oxygen comes from the organs (natural or augmented) in your torso.

It is. But from what I recall the rules never said you can't.
I'd have to check.

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 3 2011, 12:43 PM) *
And why can shotguns not be put into limbs?
That allways fit, didn't it? O.o

Arm-shotguns can't fit without the arms being bulky, IIRC.* You can totally put shotguns in your legs though.

*I'd have to check the capacity rules again, but I recall going "damn, shotgun doesn't fit"

Char concept was freaking hilarious though. Guy falls to pieces, literally and then starts shooting people with flying cyberlimbs.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jan 3 2011, 06:03 PM
Post #12

The ShadowComedian

Sounds nifty enough for a GM to go:"rule of cool trumps all"
as for the shotgun in the leg? Robogeisha/Cripple-Gun!
I'd make a character with one burst fire capable shotgun in each leg.
With the bullet coming out of your knee on both sides.
Make him a negotiator with the yakuza. kneel. shoot. bow. done.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jan 3 2011, 06:12 PM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

The PCs contacts "Krunch and Klub" started out as this, brawlers at the local bar. Krunch is a Troll with full strength, Klub is a Dwarf with full body. They were created after the group found "Metahuman Body" under weapons.

In the end, however, we found out that Krunch is exceptionally well spoken and has a doctorate in Paranormal Zoology, and Klub is an idiot savant when it comes to civil engineering (Which comes in handy more often than one would think.).

For know-nothing NPC contacts with a schick right out of a Batman's or The Flash's Rogue Gallery, they turned out to be QUITE useful indeed.

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Jan 3 2011, 06:15 PM
Post #14

Runner

Member No.: 18,688

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jan 3 2011, 05:53 PM) *
You can totally put shotguns in your legs though.

So what you're saying is we need a char with shotguns in his legs and a Martial Arts specialization in Capoeira?

"Thunder Kick!" *BLAM*

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jan 3 2011, 06:17 PM
Post #15

The ShadowComedian

QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jan 3 2011, 07:15 PM) *
So what you're saying is we need a char with shotguns in his legs and a Martial Arts specialization in Capoeira?

"Thunder Kick!" *BLAM*

If you gotta go, go BIG.
fully automatic pistol sized grenade launcher.
make it so.

+Quote Post
Achsin
post Jan 3 2011, 10:33 PM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 17,955

I am now very tempted to create the one-eyed, one-armed, one-legged assassin.

EDIT:
Movie

+Quote Post
binarywraith
post Jan 3 2011, 11:08 PM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Member No.: 18,659

With proper application of SURGE, you could easily make a one-eyed, one-horned, flying purple people-eater.

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Jan 3 2011, 11:28 PM
Post #18

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

QUOTE (binarywraith @ Jan 3 2011, 04:08 PM) *
With proper application of SURGE, you could easily make a one-eyed, one-horned, flying purple people-eater.

While i approve of this concept, how do you make it fly? I didn't think surge could do that.

+Quote Post
InfinityzeN
post Jan 4 2011, 12:31 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

How else, MAGIC!
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jan 3 2011, 06:28 PM) *
While i approve of this concept, how do you make it fly? I didn't think surge could do that.

+Quote Post
Fortinbras
post Jan 4 2011, 04:15 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 14,589

QUOTE (InfinityzeN @ Jan 2 2011, 08:55 PM) *
Of course he had a SUV with Pimped Ride II, the "Bitch Slap" specality on unarmed, "Da Funk" & "Strip Clubs" as knowledge skills

"Da Funk"? Who has that? And, if so, do they gotta have it?

+Quote Post
InfinityzeN
post Jan 4 2011, 01:02 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Ooooooooowwwww... we got da funk! Gotta have that funk yea!

+Quote Post
Digital Heroin
post Jan 4 2011, 10:44 PM
Post #22

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 4,302

While on the surface one of the runners in my tabletop game is a nice straightforward Rigger type, he is sporting the Latent Awakening and Latent SURGE qualities and has expressed a desire not to have a say at all in how they manifest. Oh the potential for fun...

...ok, he did ask that I not make him SURGE into an insect looking thing, so he does have some brains.

+Quote Post
Thirty Second Ar...
post Jan 5 2011, 02:40 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,371

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 3 2011, 10:17 AM) *
If you gotta go, go BIG.
fully automatic pistol sized grenade launcher.
make it so.

Relevant, though I haven't bothered making a charsheet for this particular concept yet...

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jan 5 2011, 02:44 AM
Post #24

The ShadowComedian

Where do you think i got the idea from? ^^

+Quote Post
Thirty Second Ar...
post Jan 5 2011, 02:50 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,371

Fair enough! =D

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:10 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.