Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ancestor Spirits, How to do them?
Kesendeja
post Jan 27 2011, 06:02 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,226

How would you represent ancestor spirits in 4th edition. I was thinking the Guardian, Guidance and Task spirits would cover them, but having all three in a tradition seems a bit powerful?

Any suggestions?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hamsnibit
post Jan 27 2011, 07:26 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,723

I would say it depends on the function of the spirit, how and in which funtion your magician sees his ancestors. Remember the spirit of man too.

+Quote Post
Seth
post Jan 27 2011, 07:30 AM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 19,113

I was thinking the Guardian, Guidance and Task spirits would cover them, but having all three in a tradition seems a bit powerful?

You mean like Voodoo: which already exists! For your ancestor cult you do do worse than picking voodoo as the template, and changing the fluff and/or drain code around it: perhaps intuition is more important to gain the insight into what the cryptic ancestors are telling you.

As far as I can see every tradition gets 5 spirits. You pick the spirits. Guardian, guidance, task and man are for me the best. It's interesting that other people don't hold the same view, for example my GM thinks (and he has a chance to play with more spirit types) fire are the best. He want's raw fire power (pun intended) in his spirits, I like utility.

+Quote Post
Machiavelli
post Jan 27 2011, 02:11 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,749

Nah, i started a topic a while ago and i am absolutely your opinion, but you will see that your are also right that not many people here share this point of view....strangly.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Jan 27 2011, 04:34 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

QUOTE (Seth @ Jan 27 2011, 01:30 AM) *
As far as I can see every tradition gets 5 spirits. You pick the spirits. Guardian, guidance, task and man are for me the best. It's interesting that other people don't hold the same view, for example my GM thinks (and he has a chance to play with more spirit types) fire are the best. He want's raw fire power (pun intended) in his spirits, I like utility.

Actually, in War! there's the Amazonian tradition that only has 2 spirit types (Water, Plant) - one is used twice, the other is used three times.

By correlation:
Combat: Guardian
Detection: Guidance
Health: Guidance
Illusion: Man
Manipulation: Task
Drain: Wil + Int

+Quote Post
Seth
post Jan 27 2011, 09:42 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 19,113

Actually, in War! there's the Amazonian tradition that only has 2 spirit types (Water, Plant) - one is used twice, the other is used three times

Bizarre. Well thats War! for you. I haven't bought it yet

In street magic its pretty clear how to make a tradition, but I guess you can deliberately nerf one if you want it. I personally like custom traditions: they add to the fluff around the character YMMV.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:48 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.