PBTHHHHT
post Feb 3 2011, 09:28 PM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,327

Don't mess with a gurkha.
story link... now fixed

Granted he was able to take them only a couple at a time.

edit: link fixed!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 3 2011, 09:33 PM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

Link is not broken.

+Quote Post
warrior_allanon
post Feb 3 2011, 10:00 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,273

no crap you dont fsk with a Gurka, it is not conducive to a long and healthy life.....and i havent checked the link, i just know that because like the ROK (Republic of Korea)Marines those are some hard corp crazy mofo's. I spent 4 and a half years in the USMC and learned several things but the biggest was that there is a list of orginizations that you dont fsk with, Ghurka's are very high on that list along with Mossad, SAS, SBS, ROK Marines and Force Recon.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 3 2011, 10:29 PM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

Ghurkas are still the Queen's personal guard, and for a good reason. They wrote the SAS Training Manual. And are more deadly with those Kukris of theirs than most soldiers are with assault rifles. "The Most Deadly Men On Earth" I've heard them refereed to as, and I don't think I've heard anyone refute that.

One thing that surprised me, when I was touring the armory back home, the unit had awarded the unit a plaque with a pair of crossed Kukris. Unfortunately, the reason for this has been lost to the Regiment. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

But, yes, they're the people that all the other "Special Forces" are compared to, and try to reach their level of lethality and combat ability.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Feb 3 2011, 10:39 PM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

Yeah, he's bad ass, but if they had a gun, then he would be dead.

Though I will admin, fighting 40 guys for 20 minutes was REALLY bad ass!

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Feb 3 2011, 10:57 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Feb 3 2011, 05:39 PM) *

Though I will admin, fighting 40 guys for 20 minutes was REALLY bad ass!

Depends on the situation, it's a packed train, they're fighting it out, probably, mainly in the aisles and over some seats. People are panicked, blood and steel flashing everywhere, lots of shouting. Supposedly there's a gun, but it's an unknown if the token person was panicked, the gun was a fake, or other factor. The bandits probably weren't expecting resistance, plus, they're probably strung out so they don't have a clear view/shot on him. Even if they did have one or two guns, depending on the situation, they may have a hard time to shoot the guy unless they were next to him or so, if that's the case, he's also in charging range. A guy with a knife is supposedly very, very nasty, dangerous within 10' or so, even if you do have a gun. It's probably going towards the Creepwood run moment. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Too many factors. But if they were competent... or some other things, definitely things could turn the other way.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 3 2011, 10:59 PM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

He might have been dead. He might have been injured (More, he did get a nasty cut into his left hand.). The passengers might have been injured.

They might have just pissed him off even more.

BTW, if someone has "MoH" or "VC" after their name, consider them just as dangerous, if not possibly more so, than a Gurkha.

+Quote Post
explorator
post Feb 4 2011, 03:33 AM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 17,528

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Feb 3 2011, 04:39 PM) *

Yeah, but if he had a gun, then he would have killed them all in 2 mins. Kaiser Soze style.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Feb 4 2011, 03:37 AM
Post #9

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Feb 4 2011, 06:39 AM) *

They had guns, maybe they were fake or he was so bad assed they forgot how to use them.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 4 2011, 03:54 AM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (toturi @ Feb 3 2011, 11:37 PM) *
They had guns, maybe they were fake or he was so bad assed they forgot how to use them.

More likely too scared to take the safeties off. The noise would alert him to their presence. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/devil.gif)

+Quote Post
ShadowFighter88
post Feb 4 2011, 04:02 AM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 21,081

Mark my words; in a few months time, this guy'll be the Chuck Norris of India. If he isn't already.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 4 2011, 04:08 AM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

He?

The entire Gurkha District is made up of Indian Chuck Norris'!

+Quote Post
ShadowFighter88
post Feb 4 2011, 04:11 AM
Post #13

Target

True, but how many make the news like that guy?

+Quote Post
toturi
post Feb 4 2011, 04:17 AM
Post #14

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (ShadowFighter88 @ Feb 4 2011, 12:11 PM) *
True, but how many make the news like that guy?

Depends on how many people are stupid enough to piss them off.

+Quote Post
ShadowFighter88
post Feb 4 2011, 04:25 AM
Post #15

Target

Fair point; can't forget human stupidity.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 4 2011, 04:36 AM
Post #16

Immortal Elf

If you're in India, and see a man with a Kukri, and you're doing something very, very wrong: Stop what you're doing, drop everything, apologize very nicely to everyone, and turn yourself into the police.

Hopefully he'll decide you're not worth the time to break into the prison and move you into the cell with the worst prisoner in the joint while you're sleeping.

+Quote Post
Saint Sithney
post Feb 4 2011, 04:42 AM
Post #17

Runner

Member No.: 17,722

That was some of the worst journalism I've ever read.

Who cares what seat he sat in? They don't give any other relevant information regarding the locations of anything else..

Maybe they expect people to find that train car and his seat and lay wreathes on it while they give prayers to Krishna?

Just horrible writing...

+Quote Post
WhiskeyJohnny
post Feb 4 2011, 04:57 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,155

QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 3 2011, 09:08 PM) *
He?

The entire Gurkha District is made up of Indian Chuck Norris'!

It is a Hindu Proverb that "A single Gurkha will defeat Chuck Norris, no matter how many Roundhouse Kicks he makes."

+Quote Post
Christian Lafay
post Feb 4 2011, 06:24 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,965

I heard a story once about some Gurkhas and I hope it's true. An officer was talking to a special group he used for black missions, through a liaison, about getting them to jump out of a plane behind enemy lines and he needed volunteers. Of the group there, which usually went for anything, only two raised their hands. The officer was confused and asked why they were scared of this mission and asked the liaison to find out why they were acting this way. After some back and forth the liaison said they wished to know how slow and how low the plane would be going when they jumped out. The officer quickly informed them that they would have parachutes and all of them volunteered. This means that two crazy SOBs were willing to jump out of a plane, kill as many as they could on the way down, and still expect to survive the landing. Again, not sure how true the story is but still.....

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 4 2011, 07:07 AM
Post #20

Immortal Elf

I remember hearing a story about some US Troops in WWII, fresh from training, that were told by a British Liaison that they had to tie their boots in a certain way where they were being deployed because Gurkhas were in the area, and that's how they IDed who was a friendly and who was an enemy. By sneaking up on them and feeling the laces of their boots, then sneaking away if they were friendly.

I like the two volunteers story better, however.

+Quote Post
CanadianWolverin...
post Feb 4 2011, 12:35 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,309

Holy crap, Gurkhas, especially the formally retired one who happened to fatefully be riding that train, sound like they would make the lead characters in The Hunted look like amateurs.

+Quote Post
Kliko
post Feb 4 2011, 01:05 PM
Post #22

Shooting Target

Member No.: 12,403

There's another article on this man here:

http://www.logiccool.com/blog/591281-lone-...against-40-men/

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 4 2011, 02:00 PM
Post #23

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (PBTHHHHT @ Feb 3 2011, 05:57 PM) *
A guy with a knife is supposedly very, very nasty, dangerous within 10' or so, even if you do have a gun.

In the sense of "you can't reliably keep that knife from your fleshy bits", not in the sense of "the guy with the knife isn't going to get ventilated".

~J

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Feb 4 2011, 02:59 PM
Post #24

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Feb 4 2011, 09:00 AM) *
In the sense of "you can't reliably keep that knife from your fleshy bits", not in the sense of "the guy with the knife isn't going to get ventilated".

~J

that's the beauty of it, the bandits probably want to live to see another day. The gurkha, I think once he's committed... well, pray you can get away from him, because he ain't stopping till the threat is over.

+Quote Post
darthmord
post Feb 4 2011, 05:27 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 11,548

QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 4 2011, 02:07 AM) *
I remember hearing a story about some US Troops in WWII, fresh from training, that were told by a British Liaison that they had to tie their boots in a certain way where they were being deployed because Gurkhas were in the area, and that's how they IDed who was a friendly and who was an enemy. By sneaking up on them and feeling the laces of their boots, then sneaking away if they were friendly.

I like the two volunteers story better, however.

My Father-in-law was told that very thing when he went to Vietnam. He did some 'interesting' things. But shortly after he arrived in theater, he was instructed to tie his boots a certain way. When he asked why, he was told it was for identification while out in the field. He was puzzled by it and asked about that. All he was told was that forces were out in the field that would know the difference. There were several people in his group that had seen bad guys simply walk behind a tree and fall down on the other side dead. No shots fired or anything that would make noise.

Needless to say, he did as he was told. He also noted everyone around his station had their boots tied the same way.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:23 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.