Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [RL] What can one man do?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
PBTHHHHT
Don't mess with a gurkha.
story link... now fixed

Granted he was able to take them only a couple at a time.

edit: link fixed!
CanRay
Link is not broken.
warrior_allanon
no crap you dont fsk with a Gurka, it is not conducive to a long and healthy life.....and i havent checked the link, i just know that because like the ROK (Republic of Korea)Marines those are some hard corp crazy mofo's. I spent 4 and a half years in the USMC and learned several things but the biggest was that there is a list of orginizations that you dont fsk with, Ghurka's are very high on that list along with Mossad, SAS, SBS, ROK Marines and Force Recon.
CanRay
Ghurkas are still the Queen's personal guard, and for a good reason. They wrote the SAS Training Manual. And are more deadly with those Kukris of theirs than most soldiers are with assault rifles. "The Most Deadly Men On Earth" I've heard them refereed to as, and I don't think I've heard anyone refute that.

One thing that surprised me, when I was touring the armory back home, the unit had awarded the unit a plaque with a pair of crossed Kukris. Unfortunately, the reason for this has been lost to the Regiment. frown.gif

But, yes, they're the people that all the other "Special Forces" are compared to, and try to reach their level of lethality and combat ability.
KCKitsune
Yeah, he's bad ass, but if they had a gun, then he would be dead.

Though I will admin, fighting 40 guys for 20 minutes was REALLY bad ass!
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Feb 3 2011, 05:39 PM) *

Depends on the situation, it's a packed train, they're fighting it out, probably, mainly in the aisles and over some seats. People are panicked, blood and steel flashing everywhere, lots of shouting. Supposedly there's a gun, but it's an unknown if the token person was panicked, the gun was a fake, or other factor. The bandits probably weren't expecting resistance, plus, they're probably strung out so they don't have a clear view/shot on him. Even if they did have one or two guns, depending on the situation, they may have a hard time to shoot the guy unless they were next to him or so, if that's the case, he's also in charging range. A guy with a knife is supposedly very, very nasty, dangerous within 10' or so, even if you do have a gun. It's probably going towards the Creepwood run moment. wink.gif Too many factors. But if they were competent... or some other things, definitely things could turn the other way.
CanRay
He might have been dead. He might have been injured (More, he did get a nasty cut into his left hand.). The passengers might have been injured.

They might have just pissed him off even more.

BTW, if someone has "MoH" or "VC" after their name, consider them just as dangerous, if not possibly more so, than a Gurkha.
explorator
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Feb 3 2011, 04:39 PM) *

Yeah, but if he had a gun, then he would have killed them all in 2 mins. Kaiser Soze style.
toturi
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Feb 4 2011, 06:39 AM) *

They had guns, maybe they were fake or he was so bad assed they forgot how to use them.
CanRay
QUOTE (toturi @ Feb 3 2011, 11:37 PM) *
They had guns, maybe they were fake or he was so bad assed they forgot how to use them.

More likely too scared to take the safeties off. The noise would alert him to their presence. devil.gif
ShadowFighter88
Mark my words; in a few months time, this guy'll be the Chuck Norris of India. If he isn't already.
CanRay
He?

The entire Gurkha District is made up of Indian Chuck Norris'!
ShadowFighter88
True, but how many make the news like that guy?
toturi
QUOTE (ShadowFighter88 @ Feb 4 2011, 12:11 PM) *
True, but how many make the news like that guy?

Depends on how many people are stupid enough to piss them off.
ShadowFighter88
Fair point; can't forget human stupidity.
CanRay
If you're in India, and see a man with a Kukri, and you're doing something very, very wrong: Stop what you're doing, drop everything, apologize very nicely to everyone, and turn yourself into the police.

Hopefully he'll decide you're not worth the time to break into the prison and move you into the cell with the worst prisoner in the joint while you're sleeping.
Saint Sithney
That was some of the worst journalism I've ever read.

Who cares what seat he sat in? They don't give any other relevant information regarding the locations of anything else..

Maybe they expect people to find that train car and his seat and lay wreathes on it while they give prayers to Krishna?

Just horrible writing...
WhiskeyJohnny
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 3 2011, 09:08 PM) *
He?

The entire Gurkha District is made up of Indian Chuck Norris'!

It is a Hindu Proverb that "A single Gurkha will defeat Chuck Norris, no matter how many Roundhouse Kicks he makes."
Christian Lafay
I heard a story once about some Gurkhas and I hope it's true. An officer was talking to a special group he used for black missions, through a liaison, about getting them to jump out of a plane behind enemy lines and he needed volunteers. Of the group there, which usually went for anything, only two raised their hands. The officer was confused and asked why they were scared of this mission and asked the liaison to find out why they were acting this way. After some back and forth the liaison said they wished to know how slow and how low the plane would be going when they jumped out. The officer quickly informed them that they would have parachutes and all of them volunteered. This means that two crazy SOBs were willing to jump out of a plane, kill as many as they could on the way down, and still expect to survive the landing. Again, not sure how true the story is but still.....
CanRay
I remember hearing a story about some US Troops in WWII, fresh from training, that were told by a British Liaison that they had to tie their boots in a certain way where they were being deployed because Gurkhas were in the area, and that's how they IDed who was a friendly and who was an enemy. By sneaking up on them and feeling the laces of their boots, then sneaking away if they were friendly.

I like the two volunteers story better, however.
CanadianWolverine
Holy crap, Gurkhas, especially the formally retired one who happened to fatefully be riding that train, sound like they would make the lead characters in The Hunted look like amateurs.
Kliko
There's another article on this man here:

http://www.logiccool.com/blog/591281-lone-...against-40-men/
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT @ Feb 3 2011, 05:57 PM) *
A guy with a knife is supposedly very, very nasty, dangerous within 10' or so, even if you do have a gun.

In the sense of "you can't reliably keep that knife from your fleshy bits", not in the sense of "the guy with the knife isn't going to get ventilated".

~J
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Feb 4 2011, 09:00 AM) *
In the sense of "you can't reliably keep that knife from your fleshy bits", not in the sense of "the guy with the knife isn't going to get ventilated".

~J

that's the beauty of it, the bandits probably want to live to see another day. The gurkha, I think once he's committed... well, pray you can get away from him, because he ain't stopping till the threat is over.
darthmord
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 4 2011, 02:07 AM) *
I remember hearing a story about some US Troops in WWII, fresh from training, that were told by a British Liaison that they had to tie their boots in a certain way where they were being deployed because Gurkhas were in the area, and that's how they IDed who was a friendly and who was an enemy. By sneaking up on them and feeling the laces of their boots, then sneaking away if they were friendly.

I like the two volunteers story better, however.

My Father-in-law was told that very thing when he went to Vietnam. He did some 'interesting' things. But shortly after he arrived in theater, he was instructed to tie his boots a certain way. When he asked why, he was told it was for identification while out in the field. He was puzzled by it and asked about that. All he was told was that forces were out in the field that would know the difference. There were several people in his group that had seen bad guys simply walk behind a tree and fall down on the other side dead. No shots fired or anything that would make noise.

Needless to say, he did as he was told. He also noted everyone around his station had their boots tied the same way.
CanRay
Ah, well, I'll consider that confirmation of the "Boot Lace Story" is at least partly true, if not exact, then at least in detail.
pbangarth
An ancillary tale to this growing mythology is the account of a soldier on sentry duty at night who is startled by a cry of disappointment at his feet. Turns out a Ghurka had stalked him and identified him by his boot laces, unfortunately in the Ghurka's mind, as an ally.
CanRay
Probably drew his Kukri in anticipation. IIRC, they can't sheath them again until they've tasted blood. But that might be a myth.
CanRay
Oh for why do you double-post me?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (toturi @ Feb 3 2011, 10:37 PM) *

That's why training is important. If you don't have it you'll fall back on instinctual reactions, and instinctual reactions to violent situations tend to be very stupid when modern weapons are involved.

It is unlikely that the bandits sepend an exceptionally large amound of time training for such a confrontation.
CanRay
Bandits? Training? Possibly.

I don't think anyone has enough training to anticipate a Gurkha popping out of apparently nowhere and start hacking down your fellows with great abandon.
BookWyrm
Q: What can one man do?
A: You'd be so surprised, your jaw would lock permanently open.
CanRay
*Intone from Knight Rider*: "One man can make a difference."
hyzmarca
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 4 2011, 01:49 PM) *
Bandits? Training? Possibly.

I don't think anyone has enough training to anticipate a Gurkha popping out of apparently nowhere and start hacking down your fellows with great abandon.

Well, they were train bandits. But I think that they were untrained train bandits.

The untrained train bandits tried to rob a train but the train got away because the untrained train bandits were insufficiently trained.

CanRay
For want of a nail, a Gurkha was pissed off and went on a roaring rampage of revenge!
Dahrken
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 4 2011, 07:20 PM) *
Probably drew his Kukri in anticipation. IIRC, they can't sheath them again until they've tasted blood. But that might be a myth.

AFAIK it's a myth. The thing is not just a weapon, it is also an utility knife, like a machete.
Nath
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 4 2011, 07:20 PM) *
IIRC, they can't sheath them again until they've tasted blood. But that might be a myth.
On the other hand, Gurkha show kukri during inspection (pictured 1 2 3)
Omenowl
BENAVIDEZ, ROY P. this was another bad ass and this is while he is being shot at.

http://www.army.mil/medalofhonor/citations25.html
CanadianWolverine
Your link is broken for me Omenowl, not sure if that is the case for anyone else.
Omenowl
Sorry this should be correct and working now
CanadianWolverine
Thanks Omenowl ... and hole-ee shit. Roy was a mother fucking tank. Possibly a troll?

BENAVIDEZ, ROY P.

Rank and Organization: Master Sergeant, Detachment B-56, 5th Special Forces Group, Republic of Vietnam. Place and Date: West of Loc Ninh on 2 May 1968. Entered Service at: Houston, Texas June 1955. Date and Place of Birth: 5 August 1935, DeWitt County, Cuero, Texas. Master Sergeant (then Staff Sergeant) Roy P. Benavidez United States Army, who distinguished himself by a series of daring and extremely valorous actions on 2 May 1968 while assigned to Detachment B56, 5th Special Forces Group (Airborne), 1st Special Forces, Republic of Vietnam. On the morning of 2 May 1968, a 12-man Special Forces Reconnaissance Team was inserted by helicopters in a dense jungle area west of Loc Ninh, Vietnam to gather intelligence information about confirmed large-scale enemy activity. This area was controlled and routinely patrolled by the North Vietnamese Army. After a short period of time on the ground, the team met heavy enemy resistance, and requested emergency extraction. Three helicopters attempted extraction, but were unable to land due to intense enemy small arms and anti-aircraft fire. Sergeant Benavidez was at the Forward Operating Base in Loc Ninh monitoring the operation by radio when these helicopters returned to off-load wounded crewmembers and to assess aircraft damage. Sergeant Benavidez voluntarily boarded a returning aircraft to assist in another extraction attempt. Realizing that all the team members were either dead or wounded and unable to move to the pickup zone, he directed the aircraft to a nearby clearing where he jumped from the hovering helicopter, and ran approximately 75 meters under withering small arms fire to the crippled team. Prior to reaching the team's position he was wounded in his right leg, face, and head. Despite these painful injuries, he took charge, repositioning the team members and directing their fire to facilitate the landing of an extraction aircraft, and the loading of wounded and dead team members. He then threw smoke canisters to direct the aircraft to the team's position. Despite his severe wounds and under intense enemy fire, he carried and dragged half of the wounded team members to the awaiting aircraft. He then provided protective fire by running alongside the aircraft as it moved to pick up the remaining team members. As the enemy's fire intensified, he hurried to recover the body and classified documents on the dead team leader. When he reached the leader's body, Sergeant Benavidez was severely wounded by small arms fire in the abdomen and grenade fragments in his back. At nearly the same moment, the aircraft pilot was mortally wounded, and his helicopter crashed. Although in extremely critical condition due to his multiple wounds, Sergeant Benavidez secured the classified documents and made his way back to the wreckage, where he aided the wounded out of the overturned aircraft, and gathered the stunned survivors into a defensive perimeter. Under increasing enemy automatic weapons and grenade fire, he moved around the perimeter distributing water and ammunition to his weary men, reinstilling in them a will to live and fight. Facing a buildup of enemy opposition with a beleaguered team, Sergeant Benavidez mustered his strength, began calling in tactical air strikes and directed the fire from supporting gunships to suppress the enemy's fire and so permit another extraction attempt. He was wounded again in his thigh by small arms fire while administering first aid to a wounded team member just before another extraction helicopter was able to land. His indomitable spirit kept him going as he began to ferry his comrades to the craft. On his second trip with the wounded, he was clubbed from additional wounds to his head and arms before killing his adversary. He then continued under devastating fire to carry the wounded to the helicopter. Upon reaching the aircraft, he spotted and killed two enemy soldiers who were rushing the craft from an angle that prevented the aircraft door gunner from firing upon them. With little strength remaining, he made one last trip to the perimeter to ensure that all classified material had been collected or destroyed, and to bring in the remaining wounded. Only then, in extremely serious condition from numerous wounds and loss of blood, did he allow himself to be pulled into the extraction aircraft. Sergeant Benavidez' gallant choice to join voluntarily his comrades who were in critical straits, to expose himself constantly to withering enemy fire, and his refusal to be stopped despite numerous severe wounds, saved the lives of at least eight men. His fearless personal leadership, tenacious devotion to duty, and extremely valorous actions in the face of overwhelming odds were in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service, and reflect the utmost credit on him and the United States Army.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Feb 3 2011, 06:39 PM) *

Heh, yeah, unless the person with the gun were utterly incompetent.

But this story is such a pump up story it makes me want to go and hit the gym right now. Stories like this brighten up life, stories of furious and desperate heroic knife combat.

Even getting three kills using a knife is pretty awesome, if you think about it. I mean, in a lot of active shooter scenarios you hear about in the news someone with a firearm can only get several kills and that's spraying at defenseless victims. Three kills with a knife against armed and resisting opponents is pretty THIS IS SPARTA in and of itself.
CanadianWolverine
Thanks Ronin, now I desperately want to see a movie about this Gurkha that has fight choreography and slow motion scenes that do him justice - and he better be in the credits as an advisory role getting a ton of cash as denoting the honour he is do putting his life on the line to rescue the lady being raped.

Shit, I want to go story board / comic this up now...
CanRay
QUOTE (Omenowl @ Feb 5 2011, 12:27 PM) *
BENAVIDEZ, ROY P. this was another bad ass and this is while he is being shot at.

I think I mentioned that people with "MoH" and "VC" after their names should be treated in the same category. If not more so.

Thank you for proving my point.

QUOTE (CanadianWolverine @ Feb 5 2011, 02:41 PM) *
Shit, I want to go story board / comic this up now...

I'd pay for the comic. Especially if the money went to him, his family, or towards hunting down the surviving criminals...
nezumi
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 4 2011, 01:20 PM) *

I can't comment on the kukri in particular, but I can validate there are blades like that. While overseas, one of my teachers taught a kid who brought the blade in to show the class, and then quietly cut his palm on it before putting it away.
CanRay
Some blades are considered to be spiritual in nature, and have that restriction. I just couldn't remember if the Kukri's reputation for that was myth or reality. It might even be propaganda to make them all the more fearsome, which is another possibility.

Of course, for those "In the know", they're already the scariest of the scary, so why would they need to be more fearsome? Other than the absolute crazies in those groups, that is.

And, my usual caveat, I'm a Civilian Puke who reads a lot. What the hell do I really know about anything?
Neraph
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT @ Feb 3 2011, 04:57 PM) *
A guy with a knife is supposedly very, very nasty, dangerous within 10' or so, even if you do have a gun.

Let me clear this up for you: in general, a person with their gun holstered as standard standing 21' away from someone with a knife is dead before they can get a shot off. Of course, there are variables and it's not locked in stone (quick draw holster, someone practiced in quick drawing their firearm, intervening obstacles, ect.), but generally speaking it's a true statement.
Kagetenshi
Source? That's a stronger claim than I'm aware of.

(Other significant variables: is the knife in hand and ready (for knives which need to be readied, like folders)? I assume the shooter is presumed not to have a round in the chamber, but is a safety assumed to be on? Etc. As it stands, I'm actually not sure it's a useful claim.)

~J
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Feb 7 2011, 01:41 PM) *
Source? That's a stronger claim than I'm aware of.

(Other significant variables: is the knife in hand and ready (for knives which need to be readied, like folders)? I assume the shooter is presumed not to have a round in the chamber, but is a safety assumed to be on? Etc. As it stands, I'm actually not sure it's a useful claim.)

~J

Who cares about the source? It is an excuse to experiment with a friend, an airsoft pistol, and a shock knife.
hyzmarca
Death isn't necessilary the result. Killing someone with a knife isn't as easy as it sounds. But a stab, certainly. The issue is how long it takes to perceive that the suspect is charging, draw the gun, point it, and fire versus how long it takes a charging man to close the gap. If the gun is already drawn, then that distance is greatly reduced.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012