IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oriental Opportunities - Recruitment/Interest Gathering, Adventures in Hong Kong
Mickle5125
post Mar 2 2011, 07:59 PM
Post #76

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,433

QUOTE (Edana @ Mar 2 2011, 10:34 AM) *
For Kim & Mickle: I'd prefer you guys switch out the Sensitive System negative unless you're planning on actively pursuing some augmentations. If you're planning on remaining pure magic-users, it's no hindrance at all, and it doesn't give me any real plot value unless I just abuse your characters, which isn't really a nice thing to do (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) . Flaws don't have to be crippling, but they should at least be something you have a reasonable chance of having to deal with.

swapped that out for:
Liar
Signature (specific TBD)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Seth
post Mar 3 2011, 07:25 AM
Post #77

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 19,113

Kojiro stays clear of the underground fight scene, so he won’t know Dr Yang from that. It’s possible he was looking for a healer in Hong Kong when he got hurt on one of his missions, but maybe you have a better idea how Dr Yang and Hope got in contact? He has been in Hong Kong for a decade, so there’s lots of time for them to have met and get to know each other if you like.

How about:

When Dr Yang and his son arrived in Hong Kong, they stayed at a cheap dive in the kowloon district. While Dr Yang was out searching for work, his son tried to earn some money by giving a martial arts demo. Not realising that as a street entertainer he had to pay money to the local mob, he got into a fight with them. Using hit and run tactics he was doing ok, until he (literally) ran into Han "Big Bear" Chen. You had been a bystander, and stepped in to stop Big Bear from doing something permanent to my son. You then took him home, and we met.

Since then we meet occasionally: you need medical care every now and then, and every now and then one of my patients has a problem that needs "dealing" with .

+Quote Post
phlapjack77
post Mar 3 2011, 09:14 AM
Post #78

Runner

Member No.: 18,611

QUOTE (Seth @ Mar 3 2011, 03:54 AM) *
I don't think we decided on the strictures of the group.

I looked at streetmagic, and thought that we don't actually need any strictures unless we want them. I quite fancy the fraternity restriction. What about the rest of you?

Sorry, I got into the idea of a magical group, then opted for a non-magic character (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

Hope there's a magical group for "us", though, even if I can't be a part of it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Kim
post Mar 3 2011, 03:10 PM
Post #79

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,169

QUOTE (phlapjack77 @ Mar 3 2011, 10:14 AM) *
Sorry, I got into the idea of a magical group, then opted for a non-magic character (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

Hope there's a magical group for "us", though, even if I can't be a part of it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I asked about it earlier and there was no reply, so I decided not to make a Wuxing mage either. Athough I think Kojiro could still be part of the group, he won't be able to help with any rituals.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Mar 3 2011, 03:17 PM
Post #80

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

An Adept won't really be much help with ritual magic, anyways, I guess. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Seth
post Mar 3 2011, 03:28 PM
Post #81

Neophyte Runner

Adepts need groups as much as mages: Groups reduce your karma cost of initiation by a lot, but there is a cap on maximum level of initiation, based on the number of people in the group

+Quote Post
Kim
post Mar 3 2011, 04:23 PM
Post #82

Moving Target

QUOTE (Seth @ Mar 2 2011, 08:54 PM) *
I quite fancy the fraternity restriction. What about the rest of you?

Attendance, Belief, Deed, Dues, Exclusive Membership, Fraternity and Secrecy are all acceptable to me.

+Quote Post
Edana
post Mar 3 2011, 08:25 PM
Post #83

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,479

QUOTE (Seth @ Mar 2 2011, 01:54 PM) *
I don't think we decided on the strictures of the group.

I looked at streetmagic, and thought that we don't actually need any strictures unless we want them. I quite fancy the fraternity restriction. What about the rest of you?

While you don't specifically need strictures from a mechanics point of view, it'd be pretty hard to have a meaningful group without at least a couple that define how the group members interact.

QUOTE (Mickle5125 @ Mar 2 2011, 01:59 PM) *
swapped that out for:
Liar
Signature (specific TBD)

Thanks for doing that. I'm still working my way through sheets for skills (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) .

QUOTE (Thanee @ Mar 3 2011, 09:17 AM) *
An Adept won't really be much help with ritual magic, anyways, I guess. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

As Seth pointed out, the main reason for players to create their own magic group is for the cheaper initiations. I've mostly given it as a start option as a way to add a bond between player characters. A magic group benefits everyone in it, but also has a cost associated such that leaving over minor things isn't likely. (It's 5 karma, plus the investment in Arcana skill to join, and it's 1 karma to intentionally sever your connection to the group.)

In any case though, it's up to you guys as to whether you want to invest in a pre-formed group.

+Quote Post
Seth
post Mar 4 2011, 12:31 AM
Post #84

Neophyte Runner

I think we form a group for two reasons:
1: If we don't it's probably the first 5 karma that we spend
2: It's a nice way to link us together

I suggest "Tiān Gōng's chosen". Tiān Gōng is "Heavenly Grandfather", a colloquialism for the Jade Emperor, often used affectionately by commoners. Its a little pretentious...but we are daoists (at least I think the Wuxing tradition is meant to be about daoism).

I propose Belief, Fraternity, Oath. The Oath is to follow the strictures of the group. The belief is Daoism.

I'd be happy with an alternative proposal

+Quote Post
Edana
post Mar 5 2011, 11:52 PM
Post #85

Moving Target

Everyone that hasn't already gotten a PM from me about knowledge skills and small clarifications should have one now. I probably won't be on much more this weekend, but if you send me a PM or email, I'll try to get back to it as soon as I can.

Beyond that, we should be good to go, and I'm planning on posting the IC thread on Monday. (Feel free to keep fleshing out the magic group, and if you have minor character tweaks, that's fine too, just let me know if you do end up changing something.)

+Quote Post
phlapjack77
post Mar 7 2011, 01:40 AM
Post #86

Runner

Member No.: 18,611

Fast Hong Kong internet

Maybe our commlinks could have a +1 to response / signal or something ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Mar 7 2011, 02:23 AM
Post #87

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

Ok, that's really fast internet... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Edana
post Mar 7 2011, 04:52 PM
Post #88

Moving Target

I almost wish I lived in HK with internet like that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) .

Anyhow, OOC thread is up here. If you guys could put character sheets into the format that Thanee's post is in, and report them there, I'd appreciate it.

I should have the IC thread up in the near future.

+Quote Post
Kim
post Mar 8 2011, 12:21 AM
Post #89

Moving Target

I found that Friday 19 February 2072 is Chinese New Year, so now I'm wondering if I'm wrong or that it's meant to be one day before fireworks?

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:32 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.