Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Group Contacts
Machiavelli
post Mar 7 2011, 12:11 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,749

If i read it correctly, group contacts can have higher ratings than standard contacts that are limited to (6/6), but how do you separate loyality and professionality ratings? Does it e.g. look like (12/4) if you have a good contact to ARGUS or has a group only one single "amount" of points, so that it would be a "16"?

Also, is there a limitation in these ratings for a new character? I ask because i was about to create a runner with a decent (16/4) contact to Dunkelzahns Magical Research Department. Possible?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Mar 7 2011, 12:38 PM
Post #2

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,589

Yes, 12/4. I do not believe there's a limitation.
Flip through Runner Companion chapter on group contacts, I believe you'll find your answers there.

+Quote Post
Machiavelli
post Mar 7 2011, 01:54 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

That is the problem, i don´t have the book on hand. One of my chummers has it to create a new char. too.^^

+Quote Post
Jhaiisiin
post Mar 7 2011, 06:36 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 8,334

No known limitation at chargen. Your 16/4 rating for DIMR seems spot on. So yeah, 20BP for that one contact. And the fact that it's the DIMR, it could weigh heavily in a campaign, or even serve as a consistent source of work.

+Quote Post
Machiavelli
post Mar 8 2011, 06:01 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

So this means i will spend approx. 50 BP in group contacts and i never will have problems with my equipment/armor/weapons/cyberware/bioware supply anymore.^^ Great.

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Mar 8 2011, 07:18 PM
Post #6

Runner

QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Mar 8 2011, 09:01 PM) *
So this means i will spend approx. 50 BP in group contacts and i never will have problems with my equipment/armor/weapons/cyberware/bioware supply anymore.^^ Great.
Sure, you'll just never live to require any new toys with that kind of spending :ь

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Mar 9 2011, 01:37 PM
Post #7

Prime Runner

Member No.: 16,582

QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Mar 7 2011, 07:36 PM) *
No known limitation at chargen. Your 16/4 rating for DIMR seems spot on. So yeah, 20BP for that one contact. And the fact that it's the DIMR, it could weigh heavily in a campaign, or even serve as a consistent source of work.
Isn't there a rule that no rating can go over 6 at CharGen? I think this removes the DIMR as a valid contact group at CharGen.

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Mar 9 2011, 01:45 PM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 17,814

QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Mar 9 2011, 02:37 PM) *
Isn't there a rule that no rating can go over 6 at CharGen? I think this removes the DIMR as a valid contact group at CharGen.

I don't think that applies to group contacts, because those modifiers to the Connection cost stack quite quickly. Suppose for example a dissident group (Connection 3 or so) with 25 members (+2), with a strong presence in the local district (+1), a handful of low-level mages (+1) and a few computer science students who host a popular website for it (+1) is already over the 6-mark.

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Mar 9 2011, 01:47 PM
Post #9

Prime Runner

Well the rules don't say that the maximum does not apply. It is a general rule for CharGen.

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Mar 9 2011, 03:00 PM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 17,814

QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Mar 9 2011, 02:47 PM) *
Well the rules don't say that the maximum does not apply. It is a general rule for CharGen.

Page quote? I can't find any rule that says that.

Individual contacts just happen to be defined on a 1-6 range. Group contacts aren't defined in SR4A at all.

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Mar 9 2011, 03:13 PM
Post #11

Prime Runner

QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Mar 9 2011, 04:00 PM) *
Page quote? I can't find any rule that says that.
My bad, the rule actually only applies to gear not all resources.
QUOTE ('SR4A p. 86'')
Finally, no piece of gear purchased at character creation can have a rating higher than 6 or an Availability higher than 12 (for more information, see Availability & Buying Gear, p. 312).

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Mar 9 2011, 03:54 PM
Post #12

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Mar 9 2011, 08:13 AM) *
My bad, the rule actually only applies to gear not all resources.

Indeed...

+Quote Post
Mr Clock
post Mar 9 2011, 04:21 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,303

On the one hand that seems kinda bent, on the other it's fifty precious BP and a pretty permanent tie to a known organisation. Might as well have taken a corp job, chummer. Still, at least they have dental.

They do have dental, right?

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 9 2011, 04:54 PM
Post #14

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

I don't know if I've asked this before, but what would DumpShock be as a Group Contact?

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Mar 9 2011, 04:56 PM
Post #15

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 9 2011, 09:54 AM) *
I don't know if I've asked this before, but what would DumpShock be as a Group Contact?

Crazy?

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 9 2011, 05:06 PM
Post #16

Immortal Elf

I don't know, the sheer amount of knowledge and experience we all have is staggering at times.

'Course, that's true of all gamers. I was hanging out at my FLGS recently, and another customer noticed a "Snag" in a set of chainmail armor they had up for sale, and promptly fixed it with what he had in his bag.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Mar 9 2011, 05:08 PM
Post #17

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 9 2011, 10:06 AM) *
I don't know, the sheer amount of knowledge and experience we all have is staggering at times.

'Course, that's true of all gamers. I was hanging out at my FLGS recently, and another customer noticed a "Snag" in a set of chainmail armor they had up for sale, and promptly fixed it with what he had in his bag.

Indeed... We tend to be rather Educated, in a lot of esoteric disciplines nonetheless...

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Mar 9 2011, 07:05 PM
Post #18

Runner

QUOTE (Mr Clock @ Mar 9 2011, 07:21 PM) *
On the one hand that seems kinda bent, on the other it's fifty precious BP and a pretty permanent tie to a known organisation. Might as well have taken a corp job, chummer. Still, at least they have dental.

They do have dental, right?
Minding that they provide hideouts for drakes, they should have the best dentists ever on staff.

+Quote Post
Machiavelli
post Mar 11 2011, 12:23 PM
Post #19

Shooting Target

50 BP is not that much i have to say. Put in skillwires or buy a MBW rating 2 and you can save so much BP that you will never have to think about karma or BP´s again. The group contact is worth much more than the BP´s it costs. Just imagine a corp or big organization with a loyalty rating of 6....no problems anymore....delta grade cyber without legwork, good clinics on demand, only the money....great stuff. Defintely underestimated in the Games we play at the moment.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Mar 11 2011, 01:28 PM
Post #20

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Mar 11 2011, 05:23 AM) *
50 BP is not that much i have to say. Put in skillwires or buy a MBW rating 2 and you can save so much BP that you will never have to think about karma or BP´s again. The group contact is worth much more than the BP´s it costs. Just imagine a corp or big organization with a loyalty rating of 6....no problems anymore....delta grade cyber without legwork, good clinics on demand, only the money....great stuff. Defintely underestimated in the Games we play at the moment.

Indeed... High Powered Contacts, especially organizations, are extremely valuable...

+Quote Post
Warlordtheft
post Mar 11 2011, 03:49 PM
Post #21

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,360

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Mar 11 2011, 08:28 AM) *
Indeed... High Powered Contacts, especially organizations, are extremely valuable...

Of course that means they may diecide to interven for your own safety. With group contacts, a GM should carefully review this to see how it will impact the campaign (in a one shot or missions I don't see it as a big deal). It could potentially overshadow other PC's and ruin the fun.

On running contacts:
You need to maintain those contacts with higher loyalties (Above a 2)-the higher the rating the more effort that is needed. This means doing jobs/errands for them on a pro bono basis. Failure to do this might mean that loyalty rating goes down. Also asking a contact to shoot himself in the foot for you will decrease loyalty as well.

BTW-Where is this professional rating for contacts from? Connection rating to me would describe that aspect.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Mar 12 2011, 03:38 PM
Post #22

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Mar 11 2011, 08:49 AM) *
Of course that means they may diecide to interven for your own safety. With group contacts, a GM should carefully review this to see how it will impact the campaign (in a one shot or missions I don't see it as a big deal). It could potentially overshadow other PC's and ruin the fun.

On running contacts:
You need to maintain those contacts with higher loyalties (Above a 2)-the higher the rating the more effort that is needed. This means doing jobs/errands for them on a pro bono basis. Failure to do this might mean that loyalty rating goes down. Also asking a contact to shoot himself in the foot for you will decrease loyalty as well.

Agreed... But the value of the Organization (or Running Contact) is directly proportional to how easy they are to get hold of. If they have super high connection ratings, they are likely being pulled in a hundred different directions at once, so you probably do not have immediate access to them when you need it. After all, they are not just sitting by the phone waiting for you to call them up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 12 2011, 03:55 PM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

Yeah, if you have Richard Villers as a contact, I'm sure you'll have to get past his army of harpy secretaries first. And those are just the Metahuman ones!

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Mar 12 2011, 04:07 PM
Post #24

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 12 2011, 08:55 AM) *
Yeah, if you have Richard Villers as a contact, I'm sure you'll have to get past his army of harpy secretaries first. And those are just the Metahuman ones!

Heh... Indeed... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Mar 13 2011, 12:25 AM
Post #25

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

If they're so tightly connected to YOU, it means you're tightly connected to THEM.

So their problems can become your problems.

As a GM, you'd see me rubbing my hands in glee saying, "Oh reeeeally, you want that?"

A player might see "nice game mechanic". I see "plot hook".

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

-k

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 08:44 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.