IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What are your thoughts?, A custom spell, what do you think?
gamergurl23
post Mar 30 2011, 05:15 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,058

So I figured that being able to see what happened in the past would be useful. Using the rules in SM, this is what I came up with:

Detection Spells
Past Sight (Passive, Psychic)
Type: M Range: LOS Duration: S DV: (F/2)+4
With this spell, the subject is able to see past events in a range of (magic)x2 meters. 1 net hit gives only auditory events. 2 gives only visual. 3 gives visual and auditory. 4 gives auditory that all can hear. 5 gives visual that all can see. 6 gives visual and auditory that all can see and hear.

Thoughts? Opinions?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Mar 30 2011, 05:18 PM
Post #2

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

Sounds like the Divination, or whatever it was called, metamagic in spell form i think O.o

+Quote Post
jaellot
post Mar 30 2011, 05:35 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,971

Psychometry. And as is, no. Psychometry is a metamagic technique, not some random trick any wizkid can pull off. It would be like making a spell that allowed you (or some one else) to Astrally project.

But, in an effort to not be all nay-say, I would switch the LOS to Touch. I would make it merely (Magic) meters, and the only one getting input is either the caster, or the person it is cast upon.

Unfortunately I would still say nay, since as mentioned, there is already a metamagic technique. But this would at least make me ponder it for a moment and think the player is really trying to not be a munchkin : )~.

+Quote Post
gamergurl23
post Mar 30 2011, 06:06 PM
Post #4

Target

I didn't even think to look in the metamagic section.

Goes to show what lack of sleep and a cold will do to you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Mar 30 2011, 06:07 PM
Post #5

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

That was harmless.
Look at the list of stuff dumpshock is no longer allowed to do in shadowrun for some more extreme examples ^^
by the way, welcome aboard, feed the trolls, don't stand under drop bears and don't take it too seriously ^^

+Quote Post
gamergurl23
post Mar 30 2011, 06:14 PM
Post #6

Target

I've seen some of the stuff. 0__0

Thanks for the welcome and advise.

+Quote Post
Epicedion
post Mar 30 2011, 06:16 PM
Post #7

Douche

Group: Banned
Member No.: 23,135

Psychometry is only good at picking up things like emotional impressions, not full video and surround-sound.

I'd say no because it's more precise than the metamagic, and also because it's dangerously close to time-travel. Especially with no boundaries.

As you have it written, it doesn't seem impossible to view all the way back to the Big Bang. It's like a security camera that never goes away -- which of course raises the question, how would you ever find exactly what you wanted to see?

+Quote Post
Sixgun_Sage
post Mar 30 2011, 08:05 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,783

Add in a constraint for time, I suggest 10 minutes per hit, though 15 or 30 could work as well, make the spell contingent on the caster having psychometry or better yet make it a metamagic with psychometry as a prerequisite. Reduce range to Touch and the area as just magic attribute meters instead of magic X 2 and I would allow it, but as a spell? Borders on munchkiny in the wrong way. Every sec mage would be taught this as part of their training as you have it written.

+Quote Post
Sixgun_Sage
post Mar 30 2011, 08:05 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,783

Double post, sorry.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:45 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.