Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Firearms that make sense..., Internal consistency and a little more realism
Kerenshara
post Apr 3 2011, 05:50 AM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,166

I've talked about it for a while here and there and tinkered with it back and forth. Well, the framework is done. All I need is a place to put up a lot of numbers. Anybody got some place I can stick it and link to it that's not an inane megaupload or something else SPAMmie?

Basically, the sort version is this:

Weapons are designed based on "frames", similar to SR3's Cannon Companion, but instead of being based on "description" and having the ammunition type tied to the frame, I broke it out by ammo type as well.

[ Spoiler ]

This allows for a wider diversity between designs with things often being a higher instance of a character picking something more apropriate to their role than just good numbers.

I had to tweak some of the range charts slightly, and the Medium Pistol cartridge was just in development 20 years ago. It's like a light pistol cartridge with slightly better penetration and range. Not as heavy hitting as a Heavy pistol though. And in a Submachine Gun it winds up doing 4P / -2 so it's less damaging than even a 9mm but more likely to penetrate light armor for physical damage. The entire thing is based on performance of the cartridge in various barrel lengths (simplified a LOT).

Anyhow, I need to sit down with all the weapons and crank them through and see where it takes me. THAT will take a bit more effort, but the cognitive part's done, finally.

For those who would argue it's "more complication" it's really no different than now, just the numbers in the charts are a tad different and more consistent. Weapons are a little more varried and unique. You're still referring to a chart and/or writing down the numbers in the same blanks.

The return of unique concealability as well as the addition of "accuracy" and "reliability", which are essentially optional, are even more flavor. Makes that AK97 seem more interesting because you just can't kill it, even though it's nothing numerically special now. Also helps explain the cost of sniper systems due to the custom machining and so forth.

-Kerenshara

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Apr 3 2011, 06:06 AM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 16,558

QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Apr 2 2011, 09:50 PM) *
I've talked about it for a while here and there and tinkered with it back and forth. Well, the framework is done. All I need is a place to put up a lot of numbers. Anybody got some place I can stick it and link to it that's not an inane megaupload or something else SPAMmie?

Basically, the sort version is this:

Weapons are designed based on "frames", similar to SR3's Cannon Companion, but instead of being based on "description" and having the ammunition type tied to the frame, I broke it out by ammo type as well.

[ Spoiler ]

This allows for a wider diversity between designs with things often being a higher instance of a character picking something more apropriate to their role than just good numbers.

I had to tweak some of the range charts slightly, and the Medium Pistol cartridge was just in development 20 years ago. It's like a light pistol cartridge with slightly better penetration and range. Not as heavy hitting as a Heavy pistol though. And in a Submachine Gun it winds up doing 4P / -2 so it's less damaging than even a 9mm but more likely to penetrate light armor for physical damage. The entire thing is based on performance of the cartridge in various barrel lengths (simplified a LOT).

Anyhow, I need to sit down with all the weapons and crank them through and see where it takes me. THAT will take a bit more effort, but the cognitive part's done, finally.

For those who would argue it's "more complication" it's really no different than now, just the numbers in the charts are a tad different and more consistent. Weapons are a little more varried and unique. You're still referring to a chart and/or writing down the numbers in the same blanks.

The return of unique concealability as well as the addition of "accuracy" and "reliability", which are essentially optional, are even more flavor. Makes that AK97 seem more interesting because you just can't kill it, even though it's nothing numerically special now. Also helps explain the cost of sniper systems due to the custom machining and so forth.

-Kerenshara

I look forward to further development of this project.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Apr 3 2011, 02:26 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

Yay, guns...guns and rules!

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Apr 3 2011, 03:02 PM
Post #4

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

Silly question, but... if everything is built around frames, what's the difference between a shotgun frame, a sports rifle frame, and a light assault rifle frame? I mean, if you slap a collapsible stock onto an automatic X, where does the one end and the other begin?

I could almost see putting it as:
Taser
Holdout Handgun
Compact Handgun
Full-sized Handgun
Machine Pistol
Compact SMG
Full-sized SMG
Carbine Rifle
Full-sized Rifle
Large-sized Rifle
Light Machine Gun
Medium Machine Gun
Large Machine Gun
Light Vehicle Weapon
Medium Vehicle Weapon
Large Vehicle Weapon

Size of the frame caps maximum caliber and barrel size and maximum number of modifications, but helps concealability.

If you want to make a carbine shotgun, you take the Carbine-sized Rifle frame, set it to 12 gauge ammunition and so on. An M-16 is Full-sized Frame, 5.56 ammo, 18" barrel, fully automatic. A sporting rifle is Full-sized Frame, 24" barrel, Semi-auto, .223 and so on.

+Quote Post
Raven the Tricks...
post Apr 3 2011, 05:01 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,569

Interested to see how this develops. Maybe it'll be ready by the time I get a game going again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Of course, seeing as how I'm the only sam in the group at the moment I may not be able to get it to fly. We'll have to see how it goes.

+Quote Post
Kerenshara
post Apr 3 2011, 05:22 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Well, the existing system amalgamates damage, range, size and everything else by "type". So all SMGs start with 5P/-/SA&BF/Clip Fed/same range and is modified from there for flavor. All Assault Rifles are 6P/-1/SA&B&FA/Flip Fed/same range and so forth. Where changes are made for flavor, they aren't always consistent. I'm really BIG on consistency.

Warning: Wall O' Text follows!
[ Spoiler ]

OK, having explained my reasoning, does my approach make a bit more sense now?

-Kerenshara

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 3 2011, 05:29 PM
Post #7

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

I agree with the concept. SR4 only has about 8 guns, after all. The various models are just tweaked versions of each other, and yes, the tweaks aren't always fair. I like the way they basically erased that in Eclipse Phase.

+Quote Post
Raven the Tricks...
post Apr 3 2011, 07:11 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,569

The more I see, the more I like the concept. It all generally makes sense to me. I'm not quite enough of a gun nut to come up with something like this reasonably, but I'm more than enough of one to use it if it's there.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 3 2011, 07:17 PM
Post #9

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

Oi, good to see you back and posting on stuff that's of interest to you Kerenshara.
And still with that irritating font i see *snickers* ^^

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Apr 3 2011, 09:11 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

I don't have the background to understand the work behind it, but I have enough gun knowledge to appreciate that you know what you're talking about and that your system is better for game balance. There's a good chance I might use it.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Apr 3 2011, 09:51 PM
Post #11

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Tyro @ Apr 3 2011, 03:11 PM) *
I don't have the background to understand the work behind it, but I have enough gun knowledge to appreciate that you know what you're talking about and that your system is better for game balance. There's a good chance I might use it.

Not really better for game balance. It is more flavorful for Gun Enthusiasts, but that is really it. Simpler is always better, after all. Though, I do get that the Simple Aspects of Shadowrun 4A are what is in question here. Not everyone likes that. I think the current classifications for Firearms work for what SR4A is trying to emulate.

Good Luck with the project Kerenshara. Always interested in the outcome.

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Apr 3 2011, 10:35 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Apr 3 2011, 01:51 PM) *
Not really better for game balance. It is more flavorful for Gun Enthusiasts, but that is really it. Simpler is always better, after all. Though, I do get that the Simple Aspects of Shadowrun 4A are what is in question here. Not everyone likes that. I think the current classifications for Firearms work for what SR4A is trying to emulate.

Good Luck with the project Kerenshara. Always interested in the outcome.

More balanced firearms means you can look beyond Ares Alphas and Praetor E's, though. The idea of an ultimate weapon for all situations is ludicrous. I disagree that simpler is always better.

+Quote Post
Kerenshara
post Apr 4 2011, 12:18 AM
Post #13

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 3 2011, 02:17 PM) *
Oi, good to see you back and posting on stuff that's of interest to you Kerenshara.
And still with that irritating font i see *snickers* ^^

You just noticed I'm back?

You know I use that font just for you, Stahl. Everybody knows you're happiest when you have something to grump about that doesn't actually piss you off. *grin*

-Kerenshara

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Apr 4 2011, 01:00 AM
Post #14

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Apr 3 2011, 04:18 PM) *
You just noticed I'm back?

You know I use that font just for you, Stahl. Everybody knows you're happiest when you have something to grump about that doesn't actually piss you off. *grin*

-Kerenshara

Why DO you use that font, anyway?

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 4 2011, 01:18 AM
Post #15

Advocatus Diaboli

That *is* the reason.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Apr 4 2011, 01:21 AM
Post #16

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Tyro @ Apr 3 2011, 04:35 PM) *
More balanced firearms means you can look beyond Ares Alphas and Praetor E's, though. The idea of an ultimate weapon for all situations is ludicrous. I disagree that simpler is always better.

Interesting, since I have never used an Ares Alpha or a Praetor for a character. Blows that theory right out of the water I guess.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 4 2011, 01:34 AM
Post #17

Advocatus Diaboli

Again, Tymeaus, your anecdotal evidence will never be admissible. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) You *know* that.

On the other hand, I'm partial to a really nice machine pistol, personally, and it depends if an F avail is a problem. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Apr 4 2011, 01:53 AM
Post #18

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 3 2011, 07:34 PM) *
Again, Tymeaus, your anecdotal evidence will never be admissible. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) You *know* that.

On the other hand, I'm partial to a really nice machine pistol, personally, and it depends if an F avail is a problem. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Anecdotal Evidence from YOUR table Yerameyahu? What ever shall we do? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)
I see no reason my evidence is any less admissable than yours is... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I have a preference for the FN 5-7C Machine Pistol, the Ares Protector, and the Sernopal vz-88 for Automatics Preferences.
The Savalette Guardian and the Ares Light Fire/Hammerli 620 are my normal Go-To's for Pistols. Though I do like the Ruger Super Warhawk for my Ganger character.

And though the Barrett is Nice, I prefer the HK PSG-1 for my Sniping.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 4 2011, 01:58 AM
Post #19

Advocatus Diaboli

You do too know why, Tymeaus. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) And I wasn't giving any evidence: I said 'personally', not for my characters.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Apr 4 2011, 02:01 AM
Post #20

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 3 2011, 07:58 PM) *
You do too know why, Tymeaus. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) And I wasn't giving any evidence: I said 'personally', not for my characters.

Ahhh... Personally. Unfortunately, Personally, I cannot afford the firearms that I would truly like to have. Unfortunately, Family, Food and a Place to Live take precedence.

+Quote Post
Kerenshara
post Apr 4 2011, 02:23 AM
Post #21

Shooting Target

Odd that you like the FN 5-7C, because I think it gets short shrift. Going with the new rules mentioned above, it switches to Medium Pistol ammo and becomes 4P/-1 with a roughly Heavy Pistol ranges. It's based on a real weapon and while it packs less wallop than a .45 ACP, it penetrates through both sides of a Class III vest from a longer barrel. The Praetor becomes 4P/-2 (Loss of 1 damage, improve AP by 2) - same round. It's not a Gods weapon because it lowers the damage code. It's just slightly more likely to achieve physical (as opposed to stun) damage against light armor.

Tyro: Long story. I actually started out with said font on another size and green writing for a RP element (think: Matrix). The outcry - more over the color actually - had me go back and edit 100+ posts. But I like how it looks. I wasn't an issue last time I was a common poster here (18 months ago+) but now it seems to get more press. I'd consider dropping it but most people don't seem to think it's a problem, no Mods have said drek to me, and the people who DO complain tend to be trolls (with all the attendant "pisses ME off to see them hijack MY threads") so at this point, I'm keeping it as much to torq them off as because I like it. Fair?

-Kerenshara

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Apr 4 2011, 02:35 AM
Post #22

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Apr 3 2011, 08:23 PM) *
Odd that you like the FN 5-7C, because I think it gets short shrift. Going with the new rules mentioned above, it switches to Medium Pistol ammo and becomes 4P/-1 with a roughly Heavy Pistol ranges. It's based on a real weapon and while it packs less wallop than a .45 ACP, it penetrates through both sides of a Class III vest from a longer barrel. The Praetor becomes 4P/-2 (Loss of 1 damage, improve AP by 2) - same round. It's not a Gods weapon because it lowers the damage code. It's just slightly more likely to achieve physical (as opposed to stun) damage against light armor.
-Kerenshara

Yeah, maybe, but adding all that just adds to complexity. I like it simple. It may be more realistic, but I have given up realism in Firearms/Ordnance a long time ago, even if I do still complain about it from time to time.

If I wanted longer ranges from the FN 5-7C, I would just add a longer barrel in modification. Makes it easy. I do not think the Praetor is all that by the base system anyways, so reducing it makes no sense to me, really. I am completely happy with taking a stock weapon, and making it what I want it to be in Modification. At least that way, it is generally playable at any table I might happen to find myself at. House rules tend to cause issues, especially if you play in mutiple games where the house rules could be quite different. This is one of the reasons teh tables I play at minimize house rules. We may throw in an optional rule from time to time, but we frown upon actual House Rules.

Admittedly, though, we are using a house rule for Initiative/Initiaive Pass Resolution. It has its ups and downs, and in general I do not like it, But it works for the intended purpose of the GM.

+Quote Post
Angelone
post Apr 4 2011, 04:56 AM
Post #23

Running Target

Member No.: 7,409

Interesting, I'm looking foward to see what you come up with.

I like the Nitama Optima better than the Ares Alpha. My favorite firearm though is the Ceska Black Scorpion.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Apr 4 2011, 05:00 AM
Post #24

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

I used to swear by the Browning Ultrapower, but the Colt M2066 looks like a nice chunk of gunmetal...

+Quote Post
Faraday
post Apr 4 2011, 05:19 AM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 18,155

I have found a new favorite in the ruger warhawk. Makes for a great drone killer. Goes great with a Slivergun, which is another favorite. I tend to go Mannlicher for a longarm. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:33 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.