Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Grapple Gun?, Batman or Rorschach?
Belvidere
post Apr 5 2011, 10:41 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,413

This has come up on numerous occasions at my tables and I've also wondered. Is the grapple gun listed in SR4A pg. 337, more along the lines of Batman or Rorschach?

What's dumpshock think? Can one zip up a building nice and pink mohawk like?
Or is it a sneaky quiet, slow and steady mirror shades stealth line?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 5 2011, 10:44 PM
Post #2

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

AFAIK, you have to climb the rope. If you didn't, you'd think the book would mention it, right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) That's a pretty huge assumption for a player to make.

+Quote Post
Belvidere
post Apr 5 2011, 10:46 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,413

Well, we'd always assumed it had been able to lift someone slow and steady. Just because it's rather vague on that.

+Quote Post
crash2029
post Apr 5 2011, 10:55 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

From: The seemingly unknown area of land between Seattle and Idaho.
Member No.: 9,910

My GM decided that you can hit the turbo button on the grappler but you have to replace the motor alot. Like almost every session. It costs to be cool.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 5 2011, 10:57 PM
Post #5

Advocatus Diaboli

I certainly understand why you'd want to be Batman. I'd make them pay an additional (larger) fee for a slow, self-winching grapple gun (absolutely *can* exist). And I wouldn't let the weapon mod version do it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Summerstorm
post Apr 5 2011, 11:44 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 17,225

Mythbusters built one in the "Superheroes" episode. (Just watched it a few days back).

They had one arm-mounted winch EASILY capable of carrying a grown man pretty speedy 10 meters up. Weak points: They couldn't fire anything deep enough into a wall and the first cable ripped (but the second, thicker one held up)

So 2070 tech with some nanowires, ultradense batteries and perfect electromotors SHOULD be able to carry dudes around. I think they gave it a weight of 5kg in SR3? Or was it 5 pounds? Well, but i can see something like that as cyberarm accessory or clippable onto your shot cable and EVEN as a grapplegun-addon for way less than that weight.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Apr 6 2011, 12:13 AM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

What about a Batarang and climbing up the building, taking time out to talk to a celebrity?

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 6 2011, 02:55 AM
Post #8

Advocatus Diaboli

I agree, Summerstorm: like I said, it absolutely can exist. I just don't think you can assume the default ones do it. It specifically says 'small loads' in SR4A.

+Quote Post
Elfenlied
post Apr 6 2011, 02:09 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,018

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 6 2011, 02:55 AM) *
I agree, Summerstorm: like I said, it absolutely can exist. I just don't think you can assume the default ones do it. It specifically says 'small loads' in SR4A.

So it's Gnome Batman time?

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Apr 6 2011, 02:18 PM
Post #10

Advocatus Diaboli

Smaller. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) It says the primary purpose of the winch to merely to retract the hook.

So, just houserule an add-on/mod stronger winch… but also much bigger, and expensive. Possibly noisy… or even more expensive.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 6 2011, 02:22 PM
Post #11

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

Grapple-Hand < = if it's possible for cyber, it should very well be possible for external O.o

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:47 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.