Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gene Therapy
Xahn Borealis
post Apr 8 2011, 04:15 AM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,007

When was gene therapy first made available? At least how old would someone have to be to have the likes the geneware in Augmentation from birth?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pepsi Jedi
post Apr 8 2011, 04:22 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 18,391

Well alot of that stuff isn't meant to be had from birth, it'd mess with your natural development isn't it?

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Apr 8 2011, 04:24 AM
Post #3

Shooting Target

It's ok, it's in the Plot. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Apr 8 2011, 04:25 AM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Besides, the Genetic Heritage and Genecrafted Qualities in Augmentation imply that this sort of thing is fairly common.

+Quote Post
Manunancy
post Apr 8 2011, 05:44 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,940

QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Apr 8 2011, 06:15 AM) *
When was gene therapy first made available? At least how old would someone have to be to have the likes the geneware in Augmentation from birth?

Judging from the previous editions, I would guesstimate this to the late 2040s-early 2050's at best. Baiscally no character above his early 20s should have it. The character's background should also reflect this, because by that timeline you're sepaking white-hot, high-expense stuff.

And unless the character was at some point a corporate project on improved soldiers/agents/whatnot, I'd stay clear of combat-oriented mods and drift toward the social/brains/keeping you disgustingly healthy sort of mods. In the upper reaches of money, security in't personal, you're paying people to do it. Being better than your peers at social grace, outsmarting others and keeping the good health to enjoy the benefits of it are far more important than being a fighter.

+Quote Post
MK Ultra
post Apr 8 2011, 11:43 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 10,324

As a rule of thumb, I always say everything may be available ~5 to 10 years earlyer to insiders, another 5 to 10 years as experimental stuff. So Adapsin from Augmentation (specificaly mentiont to be super new) should not be available, other stuff for very young characters only. But some of the stuff (Hyperglucagon, Angiotensin, Super-EPO, and some others) date back to Sota 63 or 64, so that adds another half decade.
But with Geneware specifically, I always figured, that one tricky part was implementing it in grown living people. It is actually more easy to do with invitro-babies (hence the discount with the positive Quality) and could also have been available earlyer.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Apr 8 2011, 01:21 PM
Post #7

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

Gene therapy?

-k

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Apr 8 2011, 01:38 PM
Post #8

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Apr 8 2011, 06:21 AM) *

Awesome... Definitely the man... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
Rasumichin
post Apr 8 2011, 02:05 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 15,648

QUOTE (Manunancy @ Apr 8 2011, 05:44 AM) *
And unless the character was at some point a corporate project on improved soldiers/agents/whatnot

Wait, there's genecrafted player characters who aren't from some supersoldier project?

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Apr 8 2011, 02:23 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Would those early geneware mods include bioware functionality through the Animal Features mod?

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Apr 8 2011, 02:31 PM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

QUOTE (Rasumichin @ Apr 8 2011, 09:05 AM) *
Wait, there's genecrafted player characters who aren't from some supersoldier project?

*A couple of Geneticists wake up, still stoned* "Whoa, man, what the hell did we do last night?" "I don't know, but there's something in the toaster." "Bummer... We needed to work on that project that, hey, cool, my notes! ... ... ... Aw man, do we really need to get rid of what's in there? This is, like, my best work ever! Sober or stoned." "Let's just do what we always do, write up some really interesting reports that the Corporate Suit would find confusing yet able to sell. I mean, hell, he's only an MBA, not like it'll be hard to confuse him. By the way, what did we have last night?" "Um, that was a week ago."

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:19 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.