Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gene Therapy
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Xahn Borealis
When was gene therapy first made available? At least how old would someone have to be to have the likes the geneware in Augmentation from birth?
Pepsi Jedi
Well alot of that stuff isn't meant to be had from birth, it'd mess with your natural development isn't it?
Xahn Borealis
It's ok, it's in the Plot. biggrin.gif
Xahn Borealis
Besides, the Genetic Heritage and Genecrafted Qualities in Augmentation imply that this sort of thing is fairly common.
Manunancy
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Apr 8 2011, 06:15 AM) *
When was gene therapy first made available? At least how old would someone have to be to have the likes the geneware in Augmentation from birth?

Judging from the previous editions, I would guesstimate this to the late 2040s-early 2050's at best. Baiscally no character above his early 20s should have it. The character's background should also reflect this, because by that timeline you're sepaking white-hot, high-expense stuff.

And unless the character was at some point a corporate project on improved soldiers/agents/whatnot, I'd stay clear of combat-oriented mods and drift toward the social/brains/keeping you disgustingly healthy sort of mods. In the upper reaches of money, security in't personal, you're paying people to do it. Being better than your peers at social grace, outsmarting others and keeping the good health to enjoy the benefits of it are far more important than being a fighter.
MK Ultra
As a rule of thumb, I always say everything may be available ~5 to 10 years earlyer to insiders, another 5 to 10 years as experimental stuff. So Adapsin from Augmentation (specificaly mentiont to be super new) should not be available, other stuff for very young characters only. But some of the stuff (Hyperglucagon, Angiotensin, Super-EPO, and some others) date back to Sota 63 or 64, so that adds another half decade.
But with Geneware specifically, I always figured, that one tricky part was implementing it in grown living people. It is actually more easy to do with invitro-babies (hence the discount with the positive Quality) and could also have been available earlyer.
KarmaInferno
Gene therapy?

-k
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Apr 8 2011, 06:21 AM) *

Awesome... Definitely the man... wobble.gif
Rasumichin
QUOTE (Manunancy @ Apr 8 2011, 05:44 AM) *
And unless the character was at some point a corporate project on improved soldiers/agents/whatnot

Wait, there's genecrafted player characters who aren't from some supersoldier project?
Xahn Borealis
Would those early geneware mods include bioware functionality through the Animal Features mod?
CanRay
QUOTE (Rasumichin @ Apr 8 2011, 09:05 AM) *
Wait, there's genecrafted player characters who aren't from some supersoldier project?

*A couple of Geneticists wake up, still stoned* "Whoa, man, what the hell did we do last night?" "I don't know, but there's something in the toaster." "Bummer... We needed to work on that project that, hey, cool, my notes! ... ... ... Aw man, do we really need to get rid of what's in there? This is, like, my best work ever! Sober or stoned." "Let's just do what we always do, write up some really interesting reports that the Corporate Suit would find confusing yet able to sell. I mean, hell, he's only an MBA, not like it'll be hard to confuse him. By the way, what did we have last night?" "Um, that was a week ago."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012