IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PC's Top 5 evil moves, How did you make the GM sob?
Smiley
post Mar 23 2004, 08:16 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,191

I been looking around and i've seen a few anecdotes that made me guffaw but i know we can do better. I'll start.

Myself and Cap'n Dave were in a run raiding a small-to-middling corp bunker. The GM was being a pedantic MUDWHISTLE so we, of course, had to get even somehow. Both he and I had previously procured large quantities of C-12 (don't ask). While the MUDWHISTLE was off pedant-ing with another player about dice rolls or sump'n, we proceeded to hide small bundles allll over the facility like highly-explosive Easter eggs. We lifted up potted plants, we rubbed it into the carpet, we put it into file cabinets, and so on and so on. As we dusted off (and were greeted by the biggest street gang EVER, i might add) we asked HIM to roll perception. As you might have guessed, the target number for percieving a large explosion and the resulting rain of charred office equpiment is pretty miniscule. As i remember, Dave had to detonate the dashed thing from a DocWagon stretcher, after the ensuing gang war. I was leaning on a lamppost (the only one left), smoking a cigarette, sharpening my katana and whisting REM's "It's the end of the world as we know it."

The GM subsequently developed a small eye twitch. They're working on his dosage.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Capt. Dave
post Mar 23 2004, 08:32 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,183

Good times...good times. That GM is now a ghoul in my campaign. (yes, willingly)

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 23 2004, 08:39 PM
Post #3

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

I really hope that wasn't a nice katana. You know you aren't supposed to sharpen those things, right? It screws them up something fierce.

~J

+Quote Post
Smiley
post Mar 23 2004, 08:41 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Meh. It was mostly for effect, anyway. The thing was Di-Koted.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 23 2004, 08:41 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

How much of the C-12 was there, exactly? To make an office building, let alone a bunker, blow to pieces with such small bundles would take shitloads. Plus the bundles would have to be really close to each other, as in low 2-digit centimeters, unless you also had shitloads of detonators (possible, of course).

I'm far too pedantic a mudwhistle (whatever that is) to let that kind of thing to happen in my games. ;)

Of course, my group has used a quarter-ton car bomb once, and blew up a large liquid gas container on another occasion, and I didn't think there was anything wrong with that. *Shrug* It happens.

+Quote Post
Squire
post Mar 23 2004, 08:48 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 112

Hmm.

Based on that story I am given certain perceptions that lead me to suspect that neither the players nor the GM understand the GMs role in a RPG.

See, if you want your character to do something, it doesn't happen unless you tell the GM about it.

Most RPGs (including SR) are not GM vs. Players, they're the GM telling a story to players and presenting them with challanges. The GMs measure of success is whether or not (s)he and the players had a good time, not "beating" the players.

Now don't get me wrong, play it anyway you like- it's a game and if you prefer to modify the rule or the spirit of the game to suit your groups preferences, feel free.

+Quote Post
Capt. Dave
post Mar 23 2004, 08:48 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Well... it was on the order of 25 kilograms, which makes for a 60D blast at -12/m (not including the Demolitions:5 roll I made).
It wasn't that the whole building was destroyed...but that part of it was. I applaud our actions as creative.

+Quote Post
Capt. Dave
post Mar 23 2004, 08:53 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (Squire @ Mar 23 2004, 03:48 PM)

Based on that story I am given certain perceptions that lead me to suspect that neither the players nor the GM understand the GMs role in a RPG.

I can understand how you might see it that way, but trust me, I as a GM understand fully. We just wanted to do something that he would not allow us to do, without giving a decent reason. If it wasn't in his carefully thought-out plan, down to the letter, it couldn't happen. We just wanted him to be able to deal with things and come up with a story not in his guideline.

GMs HAVE to be able to act spontaneously. What if a runner does something you didn't plan for? Just saying "no" makes it no longer an RPG, but a scripted play.

+Quote Post
TheScamp
post Mar 23 2004, 08:57 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 825

I really hope that wasn't a nice katana. You know you aren't supposed to sharpen those things, right? It screws them up something fierce.

Well, you are supposed to sharpen them, but the process is not exactly suited to leaning against a lamp post. :)

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Mar 23 2004, 09:00 PM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

I think he's saying they were rebeling against a GM that railroaded them. I suppose that's one way to go about dealing with it....

So tell me, was this GM new?

This post has been edited by kevyn668: Mar 23 2004, 09:00 PM

+Quote Post
ShadowGhost
post Mar 23 2004, 09:01 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,928

I agree with Capn' Dave - a GM should guide players to where he wants them to go, but not shoehorn them into a tight little script that gives them only True/False or choice of A, B or C only.

As a GM I learned long ago with my chummers that trying to plot a tightly scripted scenario was nearly useless.

If I said, "Do you go in the front door, rear door, service entrance, or delivery entrance?"; one player will decide to climb to the nearest open window/balcony on the third floor while another levitates to the roof, and a third will enter from the sewers.

Trying to force square pegs into round holes kills half the fun of a game. Ya always want to give players lotsa rope to play with... preferably enough to hang themselves :D

+Quote Post
Smiley
post Mar 23 2004, 09:04 PM
Post #12

Running Target

QUOTE (kevyn668)
I think he's saying they were rebeling against a GM that railroaded them. I suppose that's one way to go about dealing with it....

He WAS new. We put a couple miles on him.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 23 2004, 09:05 PM
Post #13

Great Dragon

For almost any application, it's better to use bigger chunks of explosives. My group often carries satchel charges (10kg C-12 with detonators) into "hot" runs that they can use for whatever purpose. They're especially fun when levitated around.

I've never even been "shocked and awed" (since making the GM sob isn't really the right term, like Squire implied) by that sort of thing. I mean, it's just explosives. Boom. When it's really big, or when it kills dozens of people, that's different. But you got to keep your perspective: For example, I'm sure you've all seen pictures of the train car ripped open in Madrid. IIRC, that was done by a large backpack full of what passes as "Commercial Explosives", maybe 20-40kg. The buses you see torn to shreds in Israel are generally done with 10-40kg of "Commercial Explosives".

It's not the size, and all that.

[Edit]And while I completely agree that the GM has to be able to deal with new situations and PCs that don't act like he thought they would, not telling me what your characters do wouldn't fly in my games. If you tell me you carry that 25kg of C-12 on the run, and then tell me you rig it up in the target building, that's fine. But if you tried to tell me afterwards "Yeah, I set up 25kg of C-12 in the building, I just didn't want to tell you about it" you wouldn't get to stay in my group for long.[/Edit]

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 23 2004, 09:10 PM
Post #14

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

I'd hate to meet someone capable of carrying around a backpack with 40 kilos of explosives who was able to do it casually enough that no one paid attention to him or her.

~J

+Quote Post
Smiley
post Mar 23 2004, 09:10 PM
Post #15

Running Target

OK. Let's back up.
Game terms:
25 Kilos = 60 Deadly
Chunky salsa, people.

Also, there was someone wondering what a pedantic mudwhistle was. If you look closely, you can find one very very near this post.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Mar 23 2004, 09:12 PM
Post #16

Runner

Smiley Posted on Mar 23 2004, 09:04 PM
  QUOTE (kevyn668)

He WAS new. We put a couple miles on him. 

Congratulations. You bullied a new GM.

Pendantic Mudwhistle = Asshole?

+Quote Post
Smiley
post Mar 23 2004, 09:13 PM
Post #17

Running Target

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
But if you tried to tell me afterwards "Yeah, I set up 25kg of C-12 in the building, I just didn't want to tell you about it" you wouldn't get to stay in my group for long.[/Edit]

I weep.
I may eschew the game forever.
Woe is me.
Etc.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Mar 23 2004, 09:14 PM
Post #18

Runner

Oh yeah, I almost forgot: welcome to Dumpshock. :)

+Quote Post
Capt. Dave
post Mar 23 2004, 09:15 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
But if you tried to tell me afterwards "Yeah, I set up 25kg of C-12 in the building, I just didn't want to tell you about it" you wouldn't get to stay in my group for long

I agree, if that was our standard practice. This was merely to see how our GM could think on his toes. Not well, it turned out. Had we told him, the answer would be "no". I mean, if we wanted to take a potted plant out, the answer would be "no".
Anything not pre-planned = "no".

+Quote Post
Smiley
post Mar 23 2004, 09:18 PM
Post #20

Running Target

Another example:
The disappearing wall.
Why don'cha share THAT little gem?

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Mar 23 2004, 09:18 PM
Post #21

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I'd hate to meet someone capable of carrying around a backpack with 40 kilos of explosives who was able to do it casually enough that no one paid attention to him or her.

Regardless, that's what seems to happen. On one occasion, a suicide bomber had 60 (yes, sixty) kilos of explosives strapped on his body. He was, however, harassed a bit about it by the busdriver, got anxious, and blew it up in the doorway. He had managed to get to the bus stop unharassed, however.

QUOTE (Smiley)
25 Kilos = 60 Deadly

Yeah, that's a lot of damage. w00t. It's also completely harmless 6 meters away by canon. And I'm quite aware of just how much damage explosives do. I'm simply not impressed. Seeing a lot of shit blow up does that to you.

I weep.

Thing is, I'm extremely surprised you have found GMs that let you get away with that. I mean, the GM has to know exactly what everybody is carrying at all times, what is where, everything. If he doesn't, he simply can't do his job, which is to run the world.

Generally speaking, there are better ways of dealing with a GM that tries to railroad that horribly. Based on what's been said so far, it seems there would have been in this case as well. But that's all we can say, because we don't really know what went down.

This post has been edited by Austere Emancipator: Mar 23 2004, 09:21 PM

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Mar 23 2004, 09:20 PM
Post #22

Runner

Thing is, I'm extremely surprised you have found GMs that let you get away with that. I mean, the GM has to know exactly what everybody is carrying at all times, what is where, everything. If he doesn't, he simply can't do his job, which is to run the world.

You forgot to add: Muw-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! :vegm:

+Quote Post
cykotek
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,621

The closest I've ever come to sobbing was when I had a player decide to spread 5 kilos from the trunk of his car while speeding down I-5 at over 170kph with Lone Star in hot pursuit. I believe the death toll from that one action was a "mere" 87 people in a 61 car pileup. They made the news real fast with that one.

Also the "I'm going to jump out the rear door of a stopped elevated train onto the tracks. Then hang by my fingertips in broad daylight from the tracks while transit cops shoot at me" event didn't exactly thrill. He thought he could run and hide when he was the only one with a balance tail in a 9 square block area.

+Quote Post
Capt. Dave
Post #24

Moving Target

As to the C-12 - Oh, he knew we had it.

+Quote Post
Smiley
post Mar 23 2004, 09:21 PM
Post #25

Running Target

You're right, you see right through me.
What i REALLY want is a GM just like you.

So... can we move on now?

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 04:28 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.