Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ammunition, The basic selection just isn't enough
risingstar
post May 11 2011, 12:46 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,914

I know that I have asked this before, but I still can't find it since the original Dumpshock archives went down and the new one has broken links.

The ammo I am looking for is a custom creation named the Hi-Explosive Armor Piercing Depleted Uranium Core round, or HEAPDUC for short. If anyone can give me a hand, please help.

-Risingstar
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
redwulf25
post May 11 2011, 12:54 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 24,929

QUOTE (risingstar @ May 10 2011, 08:46 PM) *
I know that I have asked this before, but I still can't find it since the original Dumpshock archives went down and the new one has broken links.

The ammo I am looking for is a custom creation named the Hi-Explosive Armor Piercing Depleted Uranium Core round, or HEAPDUC for short. If anyone can give me a hand, please help.

-Risingstar

What the hell is that ammo used for, killing planets?

+Quote Post
risingstar
post May 11 2011, 01:00 AM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 16,914

Close enough. Though I plan on using it against Aztecnology, Lone Star, and others.

+Quote Post
jakephillips
post May 11 2011, 01:12 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,852

Just stick with Capsule rounds with Seven Seven or some other deadly poison and those not in a chem suit just die. Probably cheaper.

+Quote Post
Critias
post May 11 2011, 01:13 AM
Post #5

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

QUOTE (risingstar @ May 10 2011, 08:00 PM) *
Close enough. Though I plan on using it against Aztecnology, Lone Star, and others.

So take all the stuff you like about the ammo types you're trying to incorporate, tell the GM you want all of 'em in one round, and ask him for an availability/price.

+Quote Post
Rasumichin
post May 11 2011, 01:20 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 15,648

DU is basically covered by AV rounds.
If that isn't enough for you, add +2 to their Damage Value, increase Availability by +5, double the price and make sure to bribe your DM.
Or do as every sensible person does and get a post-errata Thunderstruck.

Don't let me begin to think about what would happen if you use that kind of ordnance against cops, my sadistic GM sense is tingling already.
It's not as if a good shooter couldn't bring down every copper with weapons and ammo that don't make them call in every available SWAT team in the entire state.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post May 11 2011, 01:32 AM
Post #7

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

SWAT? This sounds more like a military level ammo, and so would have really heavy players come onto the field.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post May 11 2011, 01:38 AM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

Ah, like the old days when APDS was The Bomb! And required a 'Run into a military base to get, and you typically used up more than half of it just getting out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post May 11 2011, 01:47 AM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (CanRay @ May 10 2011, 08:38 PM) *
Ah, like the old days when APDS was The Bomb! And required a 'Run into a military base to get, and you typically used up more than half of it just getting out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Those were the good old days, weren't they, Chummer?

+Quote Post
CanRay
post May 11 2011, 01:57 AM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Draco18s @ May 10 2011, 08:47 PM) *
Those were the good old days, weren't they, Chummer?

Yeah, wish I could have enjoyed them.

STILL haven't been able to play. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post May 11 2011, 02:34 AM
Post #11

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Just for the sake of argument… what? It's a uranium penetrator that *then* explodes (somehow)?

+Quote Post
CanRay
post May 11 2011, 02:38 AM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

I remember the EXLAP (Explosive-Light Armour Piercing) rounds from Aliens. I described them to a friend as: "Like Ex-Lax, but with explosives."

This was back home, so the explosives joke didn't scare everyone.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post May 11 2011, 02:54 AM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ May 10 2011, 09:34 PM) *
Just for the sake of argument… what? It's a uranium penetrator that *then* explodes (somehow)?

Apparently. As far as I can tell, he mashed some adjectives together.
I've never heard of HEAPDUC rounds before.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post May 11 2011, 03:50 AM
Post #14

Advocatus Diaboli

But it's so catchy! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Anyway, OP, what exactly do you need? As others mentioned, ammo numbers are just +/- DV, +/- AP (assigned seemingly at random). Just look at the existing stuff, powergame it up, realize WAR! already beat you to it, add more power, and presto! Hipducks.

+Quote Post
capt.pantsless
post May 11 2011, 04:00 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,032

Why use depleted uranium when regular non-depleted uranium would also add radiation sickness to the target as well? Clearly you're not thinking this all the way through.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post May 11 2011, 04:21 AM
Post #16

Advocatus Diaboli

Use plutonium and shoot *really* big bullets. That way, it penetrates, then the impact drives the two masses of Pu together, causing a nuclear explosion! We'll call them HEAPPUUCs. Just like when designated-driving someone's friend home: 'he pukes, you die'.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post May 11 2011, 04:45 AM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (capt.pantsless @ May 10 2011, 11:00 PM) *
Why use depleted uranium when regular non-depleted uranium would also add radiation sickness to the target as well? Clearly you're not thinking this all the way through.

Depleted Uranium isn't depleted quite enough to not prevent radiation sickness. Just make it take longer.

+Quote Post
TheOOB
post May 11 2011, 05:38 AM
Post #18

Running Target

Member No.: 10,749

Do we care if the metal objects your firing at people at supersonic speeds make them sick after awhile?

+Quote Post
CanRay
post May 11 2011, 05:42 AM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (TheOOB @ May 11 2011, 12:38 AM) *
Do we care if the metal objects your firing at people at supersonic speeds make them sick after awhile?

Well, I heard that they make buckshot out of steel now, rather than lead...

+Quote Post
imperialus
post May 11 2011, 06:12 AM
Post #20

Shooting Target

Member No.: 769

QUOTE (TheOOB @ May 10 2011, 11:38 PM) *

Actually the big concern for the long term health implications for soldiers who have to handle it regularly. Plus the effects of DU on the health of a civilian population in an urban center where it is used does not make for happy reading.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/...-operation.html

+Quote Post
IKerensky
post May 11 2011, 06:25 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,622

You are asking for an ammunition that is both : Depleted Uranium Core AND High Explosive.

Basically you are asking for something that prove you have no knowledge of what you are asking for. As a GM I would be delighted to provide you with such an ammunition, just as will be every salesman in every shop you enter, "of course they come at an hefty price but I just happen to have a box left right behind the corner. Sure the box doesn't say HEAPDUC, but we both know how that kind of things work *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*. Now can I interested you in a gyrojet-multilauncher-ceramic plated gun ? It is nicely disguised as a plain paper roll but it wont trick such a connoissor (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) "

+Quote Post
Manunancy
post May 11 2011, 08:57 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,940

It might be doable if you fit the explosive in the back, behind the uranimum core - if it's around it it will be stripped away as the core punches though armor - but the amount will be miserable enough to prevent any serious effect. To add insult to injury (for the firer), such a design will degrade the core's penetration (shorter core = less sectional density* = less penetration). It will also put the explosive right next to the burning powder and expanding gases, so the round will be prone to cookoffs....

All considered, that would be to ammunition what a donk is to automobile...

* sectional density : the projectile's mass divided by it's section. The higher it is, the better it punches thorugh armor (more energy delivered by surface unit of armor at the impact point)

+Quote Post
Brainpiercing7.6...
post May 11 2011, 10:08 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,052

QUOTE (CanRay @ May 11 2011, 07:42 AM) *
Well, I heard that they make buckshot out of steel now, rather than lead...

That's because with buckshot, you pretty often eat what you shoot...

And it tends to fly everywhere, which means the collateral might sue you because you gave him/her lead poisoning in addition to a perforated behind.

On Topic:

Seriously, there probably ARE AP+EX rounds out there, right now, at least in development. But they are not DUPs, they are probably just plain old tungsten carbide heads and a delayed charge behind it. But the goal is more like a mini-grenade, which would be WAY more useful ammo: A minigrenade that penetrates barriers and then explodes in a building. There is probably a Future Weapons or similar show about them, too.

I have got to use this for the military scenario I'm running right now.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post May 11 2011, 12:30 PM
Post #24

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (CanRay @ May 11 2011, 04:45 AM) *
Depleted Uranium isn't depleted quite enough to not prevent radiation sickness. Just make it take longer.

In order to merely exceed the safety values for long-term radiation exposure, one already needs to accumulate enough Uranium to make something else far more important: Uranium is a heavy metal, and as such toxic. So having DU shrapnel somewhere in the body is not healthy, but it wouldn't be better if it had been a lead round. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post May 11 2011, 02:23 PM
Post #25

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (IKerensky @ May 11 2011, 01:25 AM) *
You are asking for an ammunition that is both : Depleted Uranium Core AND High Explosive.

At least he's not looking for them in Discarding Sabot style. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:35 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.