> Direct Physical Spells...why bother?
yesferatu
post May 16 2011, 04:12 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,916

So here's a theory...
1. NPCs usually have 1 damage track, stun is the same as physical damage.
2. Direct spells work better on living targets, indirect spells work better on non-living targets.
3. Willpower is generally capped lower than Body.
4. Direct stun spells are only resisted with willpower and ignore armor...so why ever use Shatter, PowerBall, Manaball...

Thoughts?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post May 16 2011, 04:16 PM
Post #2

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (yesferatu @ May 16 2011, 09:12 AM) *
So here's a theory...
1. NPCs usually have 1 damage track, stun is the same as physical damage.
2. Direct spells work better on living targets, indirect spells work better on non-living targets.
3. Willpower is generally capped lower than Body.
4. Direct stun spells are only resisted with willpower and ignore armor...so why ever use Shatter, PowerBall, Manaball...

Thoughts?

Flavour? It gets really boring to have the same spell set, time after time after time...

+Quote Post
Fortinbras
post May 16 2011, 04:19 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 14,589

One of my mages makes fun of the other mage because he doesn't kill people.
Powerball because of peer pressure.

+Quote Post
Jhaiisiin
post May 16 2011, 05:41 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 8,334

I can use Shatter on doors, powerball on walkways, etc etc etc. Physical spells don't need living targets to be effective.

+Quote Post
Summerstorm
post May 16 2011, 05:46 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 17,225

Didn't we have that topic just now... like two days ago or something?

Also to 1: Does anyone ever really do that? All my NPC's have Stun/physical and overflow. Would be weird if they had not and is not a TINY bit more complex (you need a little bit more spyce on your notebook... big whoop)

Physical Spells are awesome if you want to SHOW people how you destroy their friends, good against people imune to stun damage. And shows people you don't fuck around. Also harder to heal and it is faster to kill with it. (Yeah, sometimes you just want someone GONE forever, or not) Pesky stunned foes always come back for revenge *g*.

+Quote Post
yesferatu
post May 16 2011, 06:00 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Jhaiisiin - Wouldn't an acid stream be more effective?
Plus, there's the object resistance on direct spells.

Summerstorm- I usually use the single track when there are a number of NPCs. Naturally, if you're ignoring the singular damage track...it invalidates the theory.

I was just noticing that there are dozens of character types with Body stats in the double digits, but almost no one will ever have more than 7 Willpower.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post May 16 2011, 06:02 PM
Post #7

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Isn't stun always better, even with dual damage tracks? So it doesn't matter.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post May 16 2011, 06:03 PM
Post #8

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (yesferatu @ May 16 2011, 11:00 AM) *

Summerstorm- I usually use the single track when there are a number of NPCs. Naturally, if you're ignoring the singular damage track...it invalidates the theory.

I was just noticing that there are dozens of character types with Body stats in the double digits, but almost no one will ever have more than 7 Willpower.

A Willpower of 3 provides double digit Stun Tracks... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post May 16 2011, 06:14 PM
Post #9

Advocatus Diaboli

Who said it doesn't, Tymeaus? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I see 'double digit Body' and '7 Willpower'.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post May 16 2011, 06:16 PM
Post #10

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ May 16 2011, 11:14 AM) *
Who said it doesn't, Tymeaus? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I see 'double digit Body' and '7 Willpower'.

Ooops... I originally read that as Physical Tracks in the Double Digits. My Bad... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)
Apparently we went from Damage Tracks to Raw Attributes...
Been a long day already.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post May 16 2011, 06:57 PM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

QUOTE (Summerstorm @ May 16 2011, 12:46 PM) *
Also to 1: Does anyone ever really do that? All my NPC's have Stun/physical and overflow. Would be weird if they had not and is not a TINY bit more complex (you need a little bit more spyce on your notebook... big whoop)

I've gone one step farther. All my grunts have a single 8-box health track regardless of their Body or Willpower. The only way it'll be more than 8 is if they have the quality that grants health boxes.

You're right that it's not that much more complex to have an extra row of empty squares, but having a single row saves time in the fight. I can ignore the interaction of pain tolerance and wounds in both track. I never have to care if their armor was higher or lower than the base damage. And best of all, mooks are mooks while prime foes actually feel different.

+Quote Post
Jhaiisiin
post May 16 2011, 07:12 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 8,334

QUOTE (yesferatu @ May 16 2011, 11:00 AM) *

OR is 2 or 3 for the items in my example, at most. Acid takes time to eat through things. Powerball destroys it *now*.

Also, as mentioned, not everyone chooses to only give a single damage track to NPCs. I know my GM tracks both separately, and they're both tabulated exactly as a PC would. Without it, I could never opt to knock an opponent out instead of killing them.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post May 16 2011, 07:16 PM
Post #13

Advocatus Diaboli

I'm just still curious why it matters whether it's a single or full condition track. Stun is always better, right? (Even with Trauma Dampers or Pain Editors, the drain difference and Will/Body difference make up for it, IIRC.)

+Quote Post
Summerstorm
post May 16 2011, 07:23 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Nah. totally not.

Say your team breaks into something. Knocks out the whole security team or something and throws them into some room. NOW some mage saw you do it or missed them or something and sent out a request for help.

A response team comes in while your runners break the locks or something. Goes up to the room, uses first aid and combat drugs on the security dudes: BAM fully functional in like 5 minutes.

Also you have people "PLAYING" unconcious sometimes (you needn't waste time to go and look if he exploded into gore *G*), Or just the: Kill him now and he will never be a problem in the future. (Re-occuring enemies and such).

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post May 16 2011, 07:24 PM
Post #15

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

Stun is (almost) always better for casting spells. But its probably not just mages on the team, so if you've got a guy with APDS and another guy with Stun Bolt, there's quite a difference between having one or two condition tracks.

+Quote Post
yesferatu
post May 16 2011, 07:26 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

I guess the difference is, if you're only using one track, you'll use whichever is higher. For the purpose of the damage track, they may as well not even have a Willpower stat.
So...a cyber-monkey troll might have 20 body - and would use all 20 to resist a physical spell (and half of that plus 8 for health) - but he would still have less than 7 willpower to resist direct mana spells.

Summerstorm - What's to stop you from killing them individually at your leisure after they've all been knocked out? (Other than being a sociopath)
I'm not sure I see the difference between immolating a guard and putting them to sleep first.

+Quote Post
Summerstorm
post May 16 2011, 07:55 PM
Post #17

Running Target

QUOTE (yesferatu @ May 16 2011, 09:26 PM) *
Summerstorm - What's to stop you from killing them individually at your leisure after they've all been knocked out? (Other than being a sociopath)
I'm not sure I see the difference between immolating a guard and putting them to sleep first.

Mostly Time and ressources. But depending on who, where and how other difficulties arise. (Like knocking someone out, who is standing levels above you. He goes down, but you can't see him anymore. Is he dead, wounded, just KO, hiding? You don't know. If you used physical he is at least wounded and less of a problem.)

Or just for "Revenge" reasons:
"He must have seen them, and they shot him" -"Those Bastards"
"He must have seen them, but he was killed WHILE he was KO'ed... they shot the man while already neutralized" - "OK, when we find them and i say: shoot their legs... what i really mean is: SHOOT THEM IN THEIR FACES"

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post May 16 2011, 08:01 PM
Post #18

Advocatus Diaboli

I guess I assumed you'd be using SnS (always, always better) and you'd just kill them afterward.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post May 16 2011, 08:03 PM
Post #19

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ May 16 2011, 02:01 PM) *
I guess I assumed you'd be using SnS (always, always better) and you'd just kill them afterward.

But Why would you do that? What made you use non-lethal rounds in the first place, especially when Letha l rounds are so much less expensive? I would be willing to bet that that reason would keep you from killing them after they were incapacitated, except in rare circumstances.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post May 16 2011, 08:12 PM
Post #20

Advocatus Diaboli

Because they're more effective, duh. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I said it right in the post: "always better". Same reason you're using stun spells.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post May 16 2011, 08:16 PM
Post #21

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ May 16 2011, 02:12 PM) *
Because they're more effective, duh. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I said it right in the post: "always better". Same reason you're using stun spells.

Poor Excuse... you are using a metagame explanation for an in game effect. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif) And I do not use Stun Spells but rarely. My Current magician does not even HAVE any Combat Spells.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post May 16 2011, 08:26 PM
Post #22

Advocatus Diaboli

People in the game know that SnS is more effective. It's scientifically provable. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post May 16 2011, 08:37 PM
Post #23

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ May 16 2011, 02:26 PM) *
People in the game know that SnS is more effective. It's scientifically provable. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

So a -2 "shock penalty" is more effective than Dead? Interesting...
Whatever... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

So why are Tazers not the only weapons used in real life? If they are so effective, why do we even still use real bullets?

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post May 16 2011, 08:39 PM
Post #24

Advocatus Diaboli

That's moronic and you know it. A bunch of stun damage with an amazing -2 penalty *is* more effective than *wounded* (and, due to armor, less wounded). And yes, knocked out is the same as dead.

… because they don't have the range and power of SnS. Facrissake, don't be a troll, it's unlike you. Are you still sleep-deprived?

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post May 16 2011, 08:41 PM
Post #25

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ May 16 2011, 02:39 PM) *
That's moronic and you know it. A bunch of stun damage with an amazing -2 penalty *is* more effective than *wounded* (and, due to armor, less wounded). And yes, knocked out is the same as dead.

No it is not, and you know it. You are comparing apples to oranges. In some circumstances, it is better to use a Tazer over a real bullet. Those circumstances are few and far between. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:26 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.