IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Slow Spell questions, From the War! thread...
suoq
post Jun 2 2011, 12:39 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,746

1) What's the area of the spell? How big is the darn thing?

2) What types of ammo does it work against? Sure, Stick and shock is now only moving at 1 meter per second but so is the poor guy standing in the field so, depending on the size of the field I'm not sure he's going to be able to do anything about it and it's not like S-n-S NEEDS any velocity. Which begs the question, does EX-EX still explode on contact at 1 meter per second?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jun 2 2011, 12:42 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

QUOTE (suoq @ Jun 1 2011, 07:39 PM) *
1) What's the area of the spell? How big is the darn thing?

The same as any other non-detection spell with an area: [Force] meters +/- 1m per die they withhold from the casting test.

2) What types of ammo does it work against? Sure, Stick and shock is now only moving at 1 meter per second but so is the poor guy standing in the field so, depending on the size of the field I'm not sure he's going to be able to do anything about it and it's not like S-n-S NEEDS any velocity. Which begs the question, does EX-EX still explode on contact at 1 meter per second?

That's up to the group. But it should be pretty easy to move out of the way of a slow-moving bullet. You're moving slow, but the area means you've got several seconds. All you have to do is not be in front of it when that time is up.

+Quote Post
Tycho
post Jun 2 2011, 02:32 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,495

First of all, this spell was removed in the errata of war, which is included in the German Translation. I would guess you will never see this errata, like the Augmentation errata, but Jason Hardy still agreed to this change.

What both of you forget is, that the bullets also fall with 1m/s, so if the bullets were flying 1,5m above the ground as the enter the slow zone, they hit the ground after 1,5m. Any Spell greater than Force 2 will make it impossible for a bullet to hit you.

cya
Tycho

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jun 2 2011, 02:36 AM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

Guess you'll find out when Jack O'Neill throws the combat knife into the magician's hand. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post Jun 2 2011, 02:53 AM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,437

QUOTE (Tycho @ Jun 1 2011, 11:32 PM) *
First of all, this spell was removed in the errata of war, which is included in the German Translation. I would guess you will never see this errata, like the Augmentation errata, but Jason Hardy still agreed to this change.

Sooo... In order to play with the latest editions and revisions of a game owned by an american company I must learn German?!?! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
I'm all for learning other languages and cultures, but this is ludicrous.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jun 2 2011, 04:29 AM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

I said it once, I'll say it again: "Why are the Germans getting the best stuff?"

+Quote Post
suoq
post Jun 2 2011, 05:06 AM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 18,746

QUOTE (Tycho @ Jun 1 2011, 08:32 PM) *
What both of you forget is, that the bullets also fall with 1m/s, so if the bullets were flying 1,5m above the ground as the enter the slow zone, they hit the ground after 1,5m. Any Spell greater than Force 2 will make it impossible for a bullet to hit you.

If I knew how to give you Karma, I would.

+Quote Post
Machiavelli
post Jun 2 2011, 09:58 AM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,749

QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 2 2011, 04:29 AM) *
I said it once, I'll say it again: "Why are the Germans getting the best stuff?"

I said it once and i will say it again: "why are the americans getting everything earlier, even when it is developed in germany?"

+Quote Post
Lansdren
post Jun 2 2011, 10:06 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,848

please tell me that was a joke about the book being changed in germany with no announcment for the english speakers?

Id rather that comment be trolling to wind me up then fact as it shows a very poor sense of fair play if its true

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Jun 2 2011, 10:56 AM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 2 2011, 04:29 AM) *

Because CGL's current crew does not release errata. EVER. Even if it's handed to them on a silver plate.

You know, back during this whole clusterfuck AH once remarked that we would probably never see errata with Jason at the helm. At that time I believed it to be another parthian shot, but guess what - he was right. I have no idea why, but they just don't do it. Not just in print, were changing stuff without messing up paragraphs is a slow and tedious process, but they won't even confirm stuff reported in their very own errata forum.

So yeah, Fronteinsatz replaced Slow with a mass levitation spell...at least as far as I've been told

+Quote Post
Tycho
post Jun 2 2011, 03:11 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

QUOTE (Lansdren @ Jun 2 2011, 12:06 PM) *
please tell me that was a joke about the book being changed in germany with no announcment for the english speakers?

Id rather that comment be trolling to wind me up then fact as it shows a very poor sense of fair play if its true

Nope, the German Translation of War! (Fronteinsatz) was corrected in agreement with Jason and the slow spell was cut.

There are some other changes, like you can launch a cruise missile from an airplane (take 2 reinforces external mounts to mount a cruise missile)

Recharge only works on handheld devices.

The Ballast Tanks was removed from most of the ships so that they cannot dive anymore and kill the whole crew in the process.

FYI there are several changes in the German Augmentation, too. Like that you can combine Rigger Nannites and Simsinbooster or that a Nanno Biomonitor improves all medical Nannite-System by 1.

Just remember, that all those changes were approved by the CGL Line Developer and so are official errata, they just never were released by CGL.

cya
Tycho

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Jun 2 2011, 03:59 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (Tycho @ Jun 2 2011, 03:11 PM) *
The Ballast Tanks was removed from most of the ships so that they cannot dive anymore and kill the whole crew in the process.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

+Quote Post
Stormdrake
post Jun 2 2011, 07:26 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,623

The fact is many things have found there way into the German version of the game that have never shown up in the English. The fact that errata has been done for the German version and not for the English is just another step in a long line. I have often thought about buying the German versions and getting togather with someone who reads German and doing a side by side comparison. Then posting what both versions are missing from each other.

+Quote Post
Lansdren
post Jun 2 2011, 07:26 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,848

well Im still shocked

+Quote Post
Irion
post Jun 2 2011, 07:44 PM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 18,860

Well, I guess it might be worth an inoffizial errata.

+Quote Post
Mantis
post Jun 2 2011, 08:33 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 17,538

Yeah, would it possible for one of the German members to post a copy of these errata? Even in German, we could use Google translate or something to get a rough English translation and work from there. Or just post a link to where we could download them. Assuming this is allowed of course.

+Quote Post
darthmord
post Jun 2 2011, 08:33 PM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 11,548

QUOTE (Lansdren @ Jun 2 2011, 02:26 PM) *
well Im still shocked

Why? This is simply par for course as predicted by AH and many others.

It's because of this sort of bullshit that I have REFUSED TO BUY any further CGL products. As long as CGL has the license to SR & BT, I will NOT support them in any way. I stated this back when the last brouhaha occurred. I even go one step further and let people know (if they weren't already aware) what sort of mischief CGL was reported as being up to.

I would love to hear from the horse's mouth (that would be Jason Hardy) as to why it's perfectly fine to sell an incomplete / inaccurate product to one set of customers but you sell the same product with all the corrections to another set and leave your first set of customers high and dry. The old saw about errata is hard doesn't work either as apparently it made it into an updated product that got published for another set of your customers.

Don't expect me to hold my breath though. It saddens and infuriates me that such a lackadaisical attitude exists around the Shadowrun line from the publisher.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jun 2 2011, 09:05 PM
Post #18

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

QUOTE (Mantis @ Jun 2 2011, 10:33 PM) *
Yeah, would it possible for one of the German members to post a copy of these errata? Even in German, we could use Google translate or something to get a rough English translation and work from there. Or just post a link to where we could download them. Assuming this is allowed of course.

Problem with this is, that, as far as i know, there is no actual errata released . . Our first printings in german simply got the errata worked into the books.
So we got changed books with more, new and different stuff and not books and then a change doc but only one book which has been changed . .
So technically, yes, one would have to read american and german version side by side to see the differences . .

Slow was errataed into mass levitate, charge was made for only hand held devices, killing auschwitz ghosts to get mighty necromantic nazi scalpells of bureaucrats has been cut, jobs for poisoning wells and killing roma and sinti have been cut too i think . .

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jun 2 2011, 09:10 PM
Post #19

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

Is it errata or "authorized market changes"? If it's the latter, I can see why CGL wouldn't want to release it to the US market. They're basically saying, "this version is ok, and that version is ok. We're supporting this version."

If its errata, that sucks.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jun 2 2011, 09:34 PM
Post #20

The ShadowComedian

"It was dumb, it was wrong, it was missing stuff, we changed it." < = sounds like errata to me.

+Quote Post
Tycho
post Jun 2 2011, 09:36 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

No, the German Line Developer said multiple times, that they don't want to do a German Shadowrun Ruleset. All changes that were made are approved as errata for the US rules, which were translated to German.

cya
Tycho

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jun 2 2011, 09:44 PM
Post #22

The ShadowComedian

So . . wait a minute . . These changes were cooked up by CGL?
Then translated to german and released with the german version of the books?
But not as errata in america?
I call shenanigans or somebody was eating paste and sniffing glue at the same time . .

+Quote Post
Tycho
post Jun 2 2011, 09:58 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

For the Augmentation this is true.

For War! the German Developers suggested a couple of changes for things that seemed wrong, translated them to English, sent them to CGL, they were approved (in part) and than put in the German book.

So Jason should have a English Doc with all the changes, he only needs to release it...

cya
Tycho

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jun 2 2011, 10:31 PM
Post #24

The ShadowComedian

So Mr.Bob was right . .

+Quote Post
Stormdrake
post Jun 2 2011, 10:39 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,623

I can't think of another game company that takes this attitude. I mean White Wolf makes corrections to their stuff all the time by errata and in some cases change later printings of the books to enclude the errata.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:43 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.