> Dis*interest, Gauging interest for extra players in Dis*
JavaLamp
post Jun 4 2011, 09:36 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,336

So here it goes.

Dis* is recruiting now. I'm looking for characters built on 300BP (200BP maximum for attributes) who are coming from any walk of life other than running the shadows. The rules are 4e with some historical changes, wireless computing is the norm already, but the backbone of it all is still wired. Hackers should expect to have to be involved in the meat. Magic I'm playing mostly as written, 1% of the population is magically active. More than one per team, while possible, is unlikely, Mary will be it for now. Latent talents other than magic are encouraged. Latent magician... that's a maybe.

I'm still making this all up as I go, but my general themes are 'becoming a shadowrunner' and 'character growth'

So.. is anyone still interested?

-JL
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BlackHat
post Jun 5 2011, 02:37 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,180

Any idea how many you're looking for? I'm sure you'll have a lot of interest despite the "awakened-not-welcome" rule. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
JavaLamp
post Jun 5 2011, 04:12 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

I'm thinking 3 or 4 more, I'm thinking about more, but I'll be ambitious when I'm sure I can handle that many.

As far as 'Awakened not-welcome' I'm just tired of campaigns loaded with a majority of awakened characters. I'll revise that restriction here.

Awakened and latent awakened are welcome, but like the world is, I'd like to see a strong majority of *non* magical characters.

+Quote Post
TakayamaYuuko
post Jun 5 2011, 05:25 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,546

QUOTE (JavaLamp @ Jun 4 2011, 11:12 PM) *
Awakened and latent awakened are welcome, but like the world is, I'd like to see a strong majority of *non* magical characters.

Did I not pay a big enough bribe? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Ghost_in_the_Sys...
post Jun 5 2011, 05:38 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 29,932

Neat, I was actually just coming up with (Like literally had just framed out an empty character sheet in notepad) a concept of a hacker that is largely a scriptkiddy in that she (or he, don't know yet) makes strong use of agents/viruses/etc, but actually does the programming. I figured it would be the type of character that would really need to grow into the role as opposed to starting with 5 agents and such. I'd even thought that she would have started out as a programmer for some company or another (No clue which off hand) before getting into running either because of some sort of 'a program you helped write got cracked, we need to fire someone to keep the higher ups happy' or 'Hey, I wonder if I could write something that'd break into this system' or 'We need to test how secure this is, does anyone know anything about breaking into a computer?'. Haven't settled on much, still a very fresh concept.

While not fully reliant on Unwired, alot of stuff from it would be very useful, so want to check that its use would be alright (I know it is rather complex). Oh, doubly so as I'm strongly considering taking the latent TM quality, and TM really needs all the help possible from Unwired.

+Quote Post
JavaLamp
post Jun 5 2011, 05:58 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

There's a couple things to keep in mind for a hacker.

Trodenets don't exist yet, I'm strongly considering making them less effective than DNI as well. Like I said above as well, hacks will go down on site rather than remotely.

As far as going TM/Latent TM, I think maybe datajacks shouldn't count against resonance loss. I think I've already said I'm tossing out the timeline, or at least playing with it freely, so no worries about 'it's too early for one' there. Then there's the Otaku too. Same game different name, I think we're calling them Otaku for this campaign. Yeah, I think we will.

Former wageslave? OK!

And Unwired is good to go. We'll work out any kinks if they need it.

+Quote Post
BlackHat
post Jun 5 2011, 12:57 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

IIRC, Otaku could have cyberware (and in fact got datajacks for free) without it hurting their abilities, so there would be some precedent for that in the 2060s.
Also, I started reading through the IC psots, but I didn't catch WHERE the story is taking place (Seattle?).
Is a good rule of thumb that if something existed in SR3, we can make it work here?

Are you expecting that hacker will still have cyberdecks (stats like commlinks, but refluffed to be bigger) or would they use commlinks and just need to plug in, generally?

+Quote Post
JavaLamp
post Jun 5 2011, 02:25 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

I think you're right, but Otaku were also impoverished children by default as well, that's not going to be the case here. Per flavor, it's misunderstood and feared still, right up uncanny valley it'll be something people hide to save their careers/lives/relationships. And at this point it's something that hasn't 'hit' the news generally. I'll need to pop open that sourcebook and create a fusion of TM and otaku for feel and rules. TMs with datajacks is the general idea.

Yeah, if it worked in 2060, it should work here. Let's say this, both decks (refluffed commlinks for stats) and commlinks work for hackers, choose your flavor, We have people who just prefer a larger computing device now even among portables. Higher spec devices will tend to be larger, and more often be 'cyberdecks', and let's go ahead and say links aren't as small as they're represented in SR4 for flavor.

The city is Seattle. a nice easy default.

+Quote Post
Eimi
post Jun 5 2011, 07:19 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,073

Well now. I actually came up with a 300 bp character a few months back. One literally only a few days into grasping at a life in the shadows. To be more precise, a vampire character. Which means actually a 200 bp character aside from the vampire quality.

It was a very interesting exercise, trying to make a plausible "normal human being" that was somewhat functional with only a rather modest number of BP to work with. The fact that said character was rather young helped, not needing to add in a career's skillset in terms of point costs, helped a bit as well. As well as being the most-low-powered awakened character I've come up with, being a 1 Magic Adept (with said abilities awakening with the vampirication).

Seattle background, too. So I just can't help but raise my hand here, and hope for the best.

+Quote Post
Ghost_in_the_Sys...
post Jun 5 2011, 07:27 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

I suppose since the year is only 2060, I should perhaps drop the genetic heritage quality I was thinking of getting? Will nano/geneware be available?

+Quote Post
Titus
post Jun 5 2011, 08:35 PM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 18,763

Would a cybernetically enhanced (for example: gun arms) person still be viable? If so, to what extent? Can I just rely on what is in the 20th edition source book? How much cyber enhancements would work with your vision of having people not be from the shadows?

+Quote Post
Ghost_in_the_Sys...
post Jun 5 2011, 08:53 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

I would guess non-legal stuff should be kept to a minimum, although it does raise the question of just how new the characters should be. I'm guessing this would be their first run and they maybe weren't even prepared for that? So like the 'hacker' may not have any weapon skills?

+Quote Post
BlackHat
post Jun 5 2011, 09:19 PM
Post #13

Great Dragon

I'll probably put together a new-to-the-streets (and maybe still corporate, if you don't want us to be runners yet) data-courier in the next day or so.

+Quote Post
JavaLamp
post Jun 5 2011, 09:44 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

@Eimi - I'm a little hesitant to bring a vampire in. gonna need to look that over.

@Ghost - Keep the illegal stuff off, by saying 'not from the shadows' I'm really aiming for they're not even prepared for this life. Not having a weapon skill is a little strange in SR though, I imagine most folks have at least basic defense training (we're talking 1s and 2s). Beyond that would involve special training, so some line of work that would involve combat, security guards &c, but then we're still talking pushover level to most SR campaigns.

@Titus Cyber is a normal thing for a lot of people, Try to imagine a line of work that would benefit from wired reflexes, or synthacardium. The 20th anniversary book good for use

Ghost brings up a point I hadn't stated aloud. I'm looking for characters not ready for the shadows. They're coming from lines of work that have applicable skills. The hacker who's never had to leave the compound or actually defend themselves, the office translator good at dealing with people, Valet attendant who goes out racing on weekends...

+Quote Post
BlackHat
post Jun 5 2011, 09:49 PM
Post #15

Great Dragon

Ah, gotcha. I'll make him a real corporate type.. .totally unprepared for something to come along and shatter his cozy little life. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
JavaLamp
post Jun 5 2011, 09:52 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

@BlackHat Barely out of corporate or still in, both will be fine.

+Quote Post
Eimi
post Jun 5 2011, 10:02 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (JavaLamp @ Jun 5 2011, 03:44 PM) *
@Eimi - I'm a little hesitant to bring a vampire in. gonna need to look that over.

Fair enough. And now that I've gotten her sheet back out and gone over her again, and given it some thought, I'm not sure how well she'd work in a group of other 300 bp characters as is. Part of the concept was that she'd be a 300 point character in a 400 point group...more a desperate sidekick than an equal member. Because, well, she only has 46 bp worth of skills. So she's not really...well, very good at anything. Probably not ready for prime time, so to speak. Perhaps I'll give some thought to a few other ideas I'd had in the past, see if they'd work at 300bp.

+Quote Post
Ghost_in_the_Sys...
post Jun 5 2011, 10:06 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

If we have reason for having restricted gear, should we assume the (legal) license is part of the cost of the item?

+Quote Post
JavaLamp
post Jun 5 2011, 10:58 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

QUOTE (Ghost_in_the_System @ Jun 5 2011, 06:06 PM) *
If we have reason for having restricted gear, should we assume the (legal) license is part of the cost of the item?

And that legal license would be tied to your real SIN, yeah.

By the by, I'm expecting near everyone to have SINner

+Quote Post
Ghost_in_the_Sys...
post Jun 6 2011, 12:11 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

I was planning on getting SINner and records on file for the corp that she worked for.

+Quote Post
JavaLamp
post Jun 6 2011, 12:58 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

I failed to mention genetics and nano. It's not present at a consumer level, what *is* acknowledged as existing is in R&D and might be approaching 'alpha' revision in current technological terms.

It's out there, somewhere, stuff like that to start will be rare enough to be the subject of a run or a particularly generous reward.

-JL

+Quote Post
Titus
post Jun 6 2011, 06:38 AM
Post #22

Target

I hope I have done this right. I've included a few paragraphs of background. I also have one illegal bioware piece (damage compensator). I can change that if you (the GM) feel that is inappropriate even with my explanation. If have messed up, feel free to say so.

Marcus Aldrich aka Brick - Picture of Brick
Male Troll, Club Security

[ Spoiler ]

This has been edited to comply with GM requests, to fix a strength typo, and include accidental forgotten qualities. The character should be finished barring unforeseen circumstances. Time and Date 6/6/2010 3:05 PM Eastern

This post has been edited by Titus: Jun 6 2011, 07:04 PM

+Quote Post
Ghost_in_the_Sys...
post Jun 6 2011, 02:03 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

I noticed you spent 210 on stats.

Otherwise looks like the sort of character that is just a small push from being a runner. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Little surprised at the low combat abilities for someone who's primary job is intimidation and breaking up fights, but I suppose your typical bar annoyance doesn't put up that much of a fight when compared to a troll.

+Quote Post
Titus
post Jun 6 2011, 03:58 PM
Post #24

Target

No problem. I only had two hundred spent but I made a typo entering Strength. I will edit that.

This made me double check everything and I noticed I left off my positive qualities.... no more late night character creation for me. I will probably wind up taking a positive quality off and shuffling towards combat. I won't shift too many though because bar fights tend not to last long. If they don't last long, not many skills would be gained.

After I finish editing, I'll mark this post as edited. I just wanted to acknowledge my errors and thank you for pointing that out to me.

There we go! The prior post is edited and fixed. Thanks again.

This post has been edited by Titus: Jun 6 2011, 04:08 PM

+Quote Post
Eimi
post Jun 6 2011, 04:22 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Would Cyberware Suites be available? I know the game concept was first introduced in Augmentation and therefore the '70s in-game, but, well. If so, would a custom "suite" made up of several standard cyberlimbs be allowed?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 07:50 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.