Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dis*interest
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2
JavaLamp
So here it goes.

Dis* is recruiting now. I'm looking for characters built on 300BP (200BP maximum for attributes) who are coming from any walk of life other than running the shadows. The rules are 4e with some historical changes, wireless computing is the norm already, but the backbone of it all is still wired. Hackers should expect to have to be involved in the meat. Magic I'm playing mostly as written, 1% of the population is magically active. More than one per team, while possible, is unlikely, Mary will be it for now. Latent talents other than magic are encouraged. Latent magician... that's a maybe.

I'm still making this all up as I go, but my general themes are 'becoming a shadowrunner' and 'character growth'

So.. is anyone still interested?

-JL
BlackHat
Any idea how many you're looking for? I'm sure you'll have a lot of interest despite the "awakened-not-welcome" rule. wink.gif
JavaLamp
I'm thinking 3 or 4 more, I'm thinking about more, but I'll be ambitious when I'm sure I can handle that many.

As far as 'Awakened not-welcome' I'm just tired of campaigns loaded with a majority of awakened characters. I'll revise that restriction here.

Awakened and latent awakened are welcome, but like the world is, I'd like to see a strong majority of *non* magical characters.
TakayamaYuuko
QUOTE (JavaLamp @ Jun 4 2011, 11:12 PM) *
Awakened and latent awakened are welcome, but like the world is, I'd like to see a strong majority of *non* magical characters.

Did I not pay a big enough bribe? nyahnyah.gif
Ghost_in_the_System
Neat, I was actually just coming up with (Like literally had just framed out an empty character sheet in notepad) a concept of a hacker that is largely a scriptkiddy in that she (or he, don't know yet) makes strong use of agents/viruses/etc, but actually does the programming. I figured it would be the type of character that would really need to grow into the role as opposed to starting with 5 agents and such. I'd even thought that she would have started out as a programmer for some company or another (No clue which off hand) before getting into running either because of some sort of 'a program you helped write got cracked, we need to fire someone to keep the higher ups happy' or 'Hey, I wonder if I could write something that'd break into this system' or 'We need to test how secure this is, does anyone know anything about breaking into a computer?'. Haven't settled on much, still a very fresh concept.

While not fully reliant on Unwired, alot of stuff from it would be very useful, so want to check that its use would be alright (I know it is rather complex). Oh, doubly so as I'm strongly considering taking the latent TM quality, and TM really needs all the help possible from Unwired.
JavaLamp
There's a couple things to keep in mind for a hacker.

Trodenets don't exist yet, I'm strongly considering making them less effective than DNI as well. Like I said above as well, hacks will go down on site rather than remotely.

As far as going TM/Latent TM, I think maybe datajacks shouldn't count against resonance loss. I think I've already said I'm tossing out the timeline, or at least playing with it freely, so no worries about 'it's too early for one' there. Then there's the Otaku too. Same game different name, I think we're calling them Otaku for this campaign. Yeah, I think we will.

Former wageslave? OK!

And Unwired is good to go. We'll work out any kinks if they need it.
BlackHat
IIRC, Otaku could have cyberware (and in fact got datajacks for free) without it hurting their abilities, so there would be some precedent for that in the 2060s.
Also, I started reading through the IC psots, but I didn't catch WHERE the story is taking place (Seattle?).
Is a good rule of thumb that if something existed in SR3, we can make it work here?

Are you expecting that hacker will still have cyberdecks (stats like commlinks, but refluffed to be bigger) or would they use commlinks and just need to plug in, generally?
JavaLamp
I think you're right, but Otaku were also impoverished children by default as well, that's not going to be the case here. Per flavor, it's misunderstood and feared still, right up uncanny valley it'll be something people hide to save their careers/lives/relationships. And at this point it's something that hasn't 'hit' the news generally. I'll need to pop open that sourcebook and create a fusion of TM and otaku for feel and rules. TMs with datajacks is the general idea.

Yeah, if it worked in 2060, it should work here. Let's say this, both decks (refluffed commlinks for stats) and commlinks work for hackers, choose your flavor, We have people who just prefer a larger computing device now even among portables. Higher spec devices will tend to be larger, and more often be 'cyberdecks', and let's go ahead and say links aren't as small as they're represented in SR4 for flavor.

The city is Seattle. a nice easy default.
Eimi
Well now. I actually came up with a 300 bp character a few months back. One literally only a few days into grasping at a life in the shadows. To be more precise, a vampire character. Which means actually a 200 bp character aside from the vampire quality.

It was a very interesting exercise, trying to make a plausible "normal human being" that was somewhat functional with only a rather modest number of BP to work with. The fact that said character was rather young helped, not needing to add in a career's skillset in terms of point costs, helped a bit as well. As well as being the most-low-powered awakened character I've come up with, being a 1 Magic Adept (with said abilities awakening with the vampirication).

Seattle background, too. So I just can't help but raise my hand here, and hope for the best.
Ghost_in_the_System
I suppose since the year is only 2060, I should perhaps drop the genetic heritage quality I was thinking of getting? Will nano/geneware be available?
Titus
Would a cybernetically enhanced (for example: gun arms) person still be viable? If so, to what extent? Can I just rely on what is in the 20th edition source book? How much cyber enhancements would work with your vision of having people not be from the shadows?
Ghost_in_the_System
I would guess non-legal stuff should be kept to a minimum, although it does raise the question of just how new the characters should be. I'm guessing this would be their first run and they maybe weren't even prepared for that? So like the 'hacker' may not have any weapon skills?
BlackHat
I'll probably put together a new-to-the-streets (and maybe still corporate, if you don't want us to be runners yet) data-courier in the next day or so.
JavaLamp
@Eimi - I'm a little hesitant to bring a vampire in. gonna need to look that over.

@Ghost - Keep the illegal stuff off, by saying 'not from the shadows' I'm really aiming for they're not even prepared for this life. Not having a weapon skill is a little strange in SR though, I imagine most folks have at least basic defense training (we're talking 1s and 2s). Beyond that would involve special training, so some line of work that would involve combat, security guards &c, but then we're still talking pushover level to most SR campaigns.

@Titus Cyber is a normal thing for a lot of people, Try to imagine a line of work that would benefit from wired reflexes, or synthacardium. The 20th anniversary book good for use

Ghost brings up a point I hadn't stated aloud. I'm looking for characters not ready for the shadows. They're coming from lines of work that have applicable skills. The hacker who's never had to leave the compound or actually defend themselves, the office translator good at dealing with people, Valet attendant who goes out racing on weekends...
BlackHat
Ah, gotcha. I'll make him a real corporate type.. .totally unprepared for something to come along and shatter his cozy little life. wink.gif
JavaLamp
@BlackHat Barely out of corporate or still in, both will be fine.
Eimi
QUOTE (JavaLamp @ Jun 5 2011, 03:44 PM) *
@Eimi - I'm a little hesitant to bring a vampire in. gonna need to look that over.

Fair enough. And now that I've gotten her sheet back out and gone over her again, and given it some thought, I'm not sure how well she'd work in a group of other 300 bp characters as is. Part of the concept was that she'd be a 300 point character in a 400 point group...more a desperate sidekick than an equal member. Because, well, she only has 46 bp worth of skills. So she's not really...well, very good at anything. Probably not ready for prime time, so to speak. Perhaps I'll give some thought to a few other ideas I'd had in the past, see if they'd work at 300bp.
Ghost_in_the_System
If we have reason for having restricted gear, should we assume the (legal) license is part of the cost of the item?
JavaLamp
QUOTE (Ghost_in_the_System @ Jun 5 2011, 06:06 PM) *
If we have reason for having restricted gear, should we assume the (legal) license is part of the cost of the item?

And that legal license would be tied to your real SIN, yeah.

By the by, I'm expecting near everyone to have SINner
Ghost_in_the_System
I was planning on getting SINner and records on file for the corp that she worked for.
JavaLamp
I failed to mention genetics and nano. It's not present at a consumer level, what *is* acknowledged as existing is in R&D and might be approaching 'alpha' revision in current technological terms.

It's out there, somewhere, stuff like that to start will be rare enough to be the subject of a run or a particularly generous reward.

-JL
Titus
I hope I have done this right. I've included a few paragraphs of background. I also have one illegal bioware piece (damage compensator). I can change that if you (the GM) feel that is inappropriate even with my explanation. If have messed up, feel free to say so.

Marcus Aldrich aka Brick - Picture of Brick
Male Troll, Club Security

[ Spoiler ]

This has been edited to comply with GM requests, to fix a strength typo, and include accidental forgotten qualities. The character should be finished barring unforeseen circumstances. Time and Date 6/6/2010 3:05 PM Eastern
Ghost_in_the_System
I noticed you spent 210 on stats.

Otherwise looks like the sort of character that is just a small push from being a runner. smile.gif

Little surprised at the low combat abilities for someone who's primary job is intimidation and breaking up fights, but I suppose your typical bar annoyance doesn't put up that much of a fight when compared to a troll.
Titus
No problem. I only had two hundred spent but I made a typo entering Strength. I will edit that.

This made me double check everything and I noticed I left off my positive qualities.... no more late night character creation for me. I will probably wind up taking a positive quality off and shuffling towards combat. I won't shift too many though because bar fights tend not to last long. If they don't last long, not many skills would be gained.

After I finish editing, I'll mark this post as edited. I just wanted to acknowledge my errors and thank you for pointing that out to me.

There we go! The prior post is edited and fixed. Thanks again.
Eimi
Would Cyberware Suites be available? I know the game concept was first introduced in Augmentation and therefore the '70s in-game, but, well. If so, would a custom "suite" made up of several standard cyberlimbs be allowed?
JavaLamp
@Titus
I like the character, just a few revisions though. No Incompetent(Hacking) for this character, you won't be using that skill so it'd be free points. Negative qualities *must* come up naturally in play.
Also, Incompetent(Disguise) by your description would be better suited by Distinctive Style, you could take it at 10 points to cover both of those or look for something else for the remaining 5 on Incompetent(Hacking)

@Eimi
Suites are available... a suite of cyberlimbs though. I don't think that'd be available, I keep trying to think of a reason someone would develop it and I can't think of one. Got a good one you're thinking of?
Titus
@JavaLamp

I will do the distinctive style for 10 BP and drop both incompetent traits. If I tried to add more, that would put me over the -35 BP for negative qualities. After I change the qualities, I'll post this in the other OOC thread for easy accessibility and the sticky thread for RPG characters.

@Eimi/Javalamp

Would a merger be possible? For instance, two modifications to the same limb cost .75 of their cost together but still use the full essence or maybe a little more. The price discount would be for less doctor's fees (only cutting in once) but the object would likely be more damaging to the human body due to the foreign experimental nature of the merged cyberlimb?
Ghost_in_the_System
I kind of wondered about the lack of positive qualities, but figured you were strapped for BP with a troll and just hadn't gotten any.
Eimi
An arm and two legs, to be precise. Personally, I'd always thought that various standard cyberlimb configurations (both arms, both legs, the various combinations of upper and lower limbs) would be the most sensible of suites, particularly back in a day when cyberlimbs were more common replacements for accidents and injuries than cloned limbs. I mean, I imagine that it wouldn't be too difficult to tweak them to "balance" each other, in an R&D sense, compared to, say, the mishmash that makes up the Kshatriya suite...and they'd likely have a wider potential market than said example suite, too.

Of course, there are varying opinions on this subject, so I try not to assume too much.

(the concept I had in mind was one of the aforementioned accident victims in the late 40s/early 50s, with a father working for a security company: figured they might be available cheaper than cloned limbs under the employee insurance plan.)
BlackHat
Almost done. I had a question about you felt about the day job quality? It seems like for not-yet-runners it would make a lot of sense (after all, if we're not running, we must have a mundane job), but at the same time, if you are planning to thrust new PCs into the shadows they *may* lose their jobs in the process (which would make the quality not really worth points). Or should we plan to have it replaced with other negative qualities should this happen? Also, would you prefer we come up with our own reasons why we're being thrust into the shadows (and, for example, just pick up the negative qualities for that and ignore the dayjob), or are you planning to spring that on us and prefer we not know how its going to go down?
Titus
Not being a shadowrunner doesn't necessitate having a legal job. Gangs, drug dealers, mafia ties, basic thieves, robbers, burglars, fraudsters, racists/pro-meta groups who get violent, organleggers all of these people still likely exist and survive in 2070. You can see pages 53-54 for more information.

I would imagine the Day Job feat would necessitate the character having the day job during the shadowruns, which would require GM approval. It would prevent the character from necessarily being 100% present at all the runs if they had a several day run. However, your character being a data courier could do something like Abby from NCIS (tv show) possibly. Abby frequently uses the agency equipment to fund her own projects. The NCIS agency puts up with her because she is a forensic genius. If your character was a genius data courier, perhaps his company would do the same thing. Like JavaLamp said, the trait must show up to role play to get the points. Having the job, only to get fired within five minutes would not likely be sufficient. It would not be if I was the GM. Then again, I would NOT feel comfortable enough to do that. Thanks, JavaLamp.

My character will not retain his job. If the GM doesn't do something like blow up the club, he could trade my character's services to any megacorp or gang to pay off a debt. If that does not happen, then Marcus could quit working for the club because the new batch was ready and the job would never pay enough to retire. Blackmailing either the club owner or Marcus is an option too. The club could go under financially which means the club owner could not afford anything anymore. I planned on working with the GM to figure a way to quit the character's job immediately after starting to run so that quality would not be necessary.

As for the particular method of our integrating characters, I would love to hear about it too. Then again, the GM may just want to PM us to prevent accidental metagaming.
BlackHat
Here’s a draft (pretty flexible on everything, comments welcome, etc):

Mathew Wilson, Data Courier

Bio
[ Spoiler ]

Character Sheet - 300/300
[ Spoiler ]

Notes:
[ Spoiler ]
JavaLamp
@Eimi I'm still not sure I get why they should be a 'suite'. an essence discount through their insurance plan? and a suite of 2 legs and 1 arm at that? Using the example given, accident victims, their limb replacement needs would have been cheaper met by cyber for sure, but the injuries would've been wide and varied where, as I'm reading it, a suite is a specific set group of implants, even with built in modules being addable. My only objection is it doesn't fit the suite design as presented.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

@BlackHat Day job... I'd rather people avoided that one. the monetary qualities are odd compared to the rest in my opinion (Day Job, Debt, Trust Fund, can't think of others off hand). That's stated too weakly; avoid the monetary qualities.

<edit> Looks like you beat me to posting the character, looks good, nothing to worry about. Induction link, that's a go. I like what you're doing with your setup. </edit>
Titus
@BlackHat: You may want to play an elf and keep your attributes the same. Elves have a higher maximum attribute rating, are traditionally considered more handsome, and they have low-light vision. There's three points you spent on agility and charisma, which match the 30 BP you would get by choosing an elf.

I also think you should reduce the amount on the DocWagon contract. The insurance policy is an excellent idea but its too much to spend on someone who would have major difficulties hiding or fighting his way out of a tough spot. I think the company who hired Wilson would spend more money training him to hide himself better, disguise himself better, and be able to dodge more. If Wilson is carrying important data, he should have more training. I'd say get a gold doc-wagon contract and get more skills.

Of course, your character has been approved by JavaLamp and just to be clear your character rocks these are just my suggestions.
Eimi
Actually, I think I'm going to bow out. Hope you all have fun!
Ghost_in_the_System
QUOTE (JavaLamp @ Jun 6 2011, 08:00 PM) *
@Eimi I'm still not sure I get why they should be a 'suite'. an essence discount through their insurance plan? and a suite of 2 legs and 1 arm at that? Using the example given, accident victims, their limb replacement needs would have been cheaper met by cyber for sure, but the injuries would've been wide and varied where, as I'm reading it, a suite is a specific set group of implants, even with built in modules being addable. My only objection is it doesn't fit the suite design as presented.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

I could see reason for a suit for multiple limbs (particularly both arms or both legs). For the legs for example you maybe only have to run the wires from the brain down to around the waist once instead of twice, alot of the control related things would be the same, and I'm sure there are other things that could overlap for some small benefits.

And I could see both legs, both arms, and full body as suits. The first would be popular among paraplegics, the second among combatants perhaps, and the last might help paraplegics or those in serious accidents and such.

On the other hand, the majority of what you're replacing is the limbs, which don't overlap.
JavaLamp
Great point, yeah, I could see it for a pair of legs or arms. or even all 4 limbs together
BlackHat
QUOTE (Titus @ Jun 6 2011, 08:29 PM) *
@BlackHat: You may want to play an elf and keep your attributes the same. Elves have a higher maximum attribute rating, are traditionally considered more handsome, and they have low-light vision. There's three points you spent on agility and charisma, which match the 30 BP you would get by choosing an elf.

Yeah, this is a personal preference, but I (almost) always play Human characters in Shadowrun (and D&D for that matter). Also, it kind of bugs me that the metatypes turn out to basically be free BP, so on some level its on stubborn principle.
I also think you should reduce the amount on the DocWagon contract. The insurance policy is an excellent idea but its too much to spend on someone who would have major difficulties hiding or fighting his way out of a tough spot. I think the company who hired Wilson would spend more money training him to hide himself better, disguise himself better, and be able to dodge more. If Wilson is carrying important data, he should have more training. I'd say get a gold doc-wagon contract and get more skills.

I thought about that when I was squeezing the last bits of him down to 300 BP, but I like the idea of him having some ridiculously overpriced life-insurance policy which will (probably) become null and void if and when his SIN does. It's probably a waste of BP, but I think it fits the concept better than the 5 skill points it would otherwise buy. Also, I wasn't thinking that the company spent the money on it. This would be something Wilson bought to cover his own ass in case a job ever went south (someone leaves his data filter on, or he takes a bullet or something), so from that perspective, it is probably more useful to him than one more point in a handful of skills. I also like the idea that he's not particularly skilled, himself, because on a lot of jobs, the corp could easily load him up on activesofts and take them back when they take back the data (so he hasn't been able to develop much real experience).
Titus
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Jun 7 2011, 08:10 AM) *
Yeah, this is a personal preference, but I (almost) always play Human characters in Shadowrun (and D&D for that matter). Also, it kind of bugs me that the metatypes turn out to basically be free BP, so on some level its on stubborn principle.

That's cool. Although I think Shadowrun does a better job of balancing than D&D. D&D just penalizes the other trait off the top which just usually winds up dictating class choice. There aren't too many Halfling warriors for that reason. I almost did not pick a troll due to all the various maximums. D&D there's not much of a difference between a 17 or 18 but the maximum points make the decision harder. A pure face is an excellent human character. Humans are the least distinguishable characters to the non-Shadowrunners, I think,

Humans have certain intangible bonus in Shadowrun too. Trolls in certain situations better be the bodyguard and a human could slip right in. Trolls aren't high society often and you can forget sneaking them into buildings with complex security unless they have a good fake id as the handyman. Trolls are simply too big to go sneaking around when someone can see them unless it is in a room full of trolls.

I am glad you are stubborn about roleplaying and not metagaming. That makes me wish we could roleplay IRL. Yet I doubt it.

I thought about that when I was squeezing the last bits of him down to 300 BP, but I like the idea of him having some ridiculously overpriced life-insurance policy which will (probably) become null and void if and when his SIN does. It's probably a waste of BP, but I think it fits the concept better than the 5 skill points it would otherwise buy. Also, I wasn't thinking that the company spent the money on it. This would be something Wilson bought to cover his own ass in case a job ever went south (someone leaves his data filter on, or he takes a bullet or something), so from that perspective, it is probably more useful to him than one more point in a handful of skills. I also like the idea that he's not particularly skilled, himself, because on a lot of jobs, the corp could easily load him up on activesofts and take them back when they take back the data (so he hasn't been able to develop much real experience).

Ok. smile.gif Gotcha. You've thought out your character very well. I am looking forward to roleplaying with you. smile.gif
Ghost_in_the_System
Well, elf isn't quite free, it does cost you a point of edge.

My character is very nearly done (Gear took a while), just need to go through and total up points and make final adjustments... oh, and build a lifestyle, I always like that part.
JavaLamp
Ah, no Eimi, that's too bad. Everybody else is looking like a lot of fun to get involved here.

@BlackHat and Titus: Ready to start up?

@Ghost The lifestyle is always quite fun, yes, looking forward to seeing your character.
Titus
@JavaLamp: Yes. smile.gif

@All: What book do you use for custom lifestyles? My character here is good as a low lifestyle but I would like to know for future reference. I use generally the 20th edition sourcebook and I just found a place to download the Runner's Compendium for cheap yesterday. It may be in there. I haven't gone through all of it yet.
JavaLamp
@Titus It's in the RC. Yup.
BlackHat
@JavaLamp: Could spend forever twiddling things, but I'd say I'm ready. One thing I'd like to add to the equipment section (with the remaining 1000 nuyen) is Rating 6 "Hardening" (Arsenal 57) to each of the cybernetic implants... just on the off chance that an EMP could affect them. The book says most cyberware should be unaffected, but why take chances? biggrin.gif
Ghost_in_the_System
Okay, so work in progress, 9 BP over already and need to free up some points for contacts. Also need to settle on which negative qualities to take, just picked ones I thought could be appropriate, as well as knowledge skills. Not really sure if the dependent thing will work out or not, haven't settled all the story parts. Just wanted to get something up to be looked at. Background is work in progress and liable to have some changes as some things get settled.

Background:
[ Spoiler ]

Stats and Meta:210
[ Spoiler ]

Qualities:0
[ Spoiler ]

Skills:64
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts:0
[ Spoiler ]

Gear:35
[ Spoiler ]
Titus
Ok, I have sent you a private message with my suggestions Ghost. I didn't comment on the gear because a lot of it I don't recognize.
Ghost_in_the_System
Thanks for the PM. FYI most of the equipment you don't recognize is likely from arsenal, unwired, or augmented.
Mister Juan
Are you still taking character submissions?

@Blackhat
Hey mate, how's it going wink.gif
Titus
@MisterJuan

Probably. Someone just dropped who was originally wanting to play. smile.gif Plus that would bring the group up to 4 or 5, depending on whether or not you count the GM. The GM and someone else are currently playing in the thread. Then there's myself, Ghost_in_the_System (Ghost) and BlackHat. The group has a data courier, a security guard, and a computer security/hacker geek. We could probably use a face, or someone good at long distance combat or the like. The only rule is the character cannot be ready for the shadows or have prior running experience. Although the GM strongly suggests NOT having an awakened character.

We also have an R&D researcher although I am not sure about her role yet.

Just post a basic idea before creating the whole thing to make sure a) I am not wrong and b) the GM can incorporate your basic premise.

@Ghost

Ok I've replied to your PM.
BlackHat
QUOTE (Mister Juan @ Jun 7 2011, 09:31 PM) *
@Blackhat
Hey mate, how's it going wink.gif

Heya! Not too bad. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012