Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2072 [+4 Months], Multiple Players / GMs - Recruitment Always Open
Aria
post Jul 4 2011, 07:46 AM
Post #1

Dragon

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 18,267

With your help I would like to resurrect Unsound’s (and later Grimm’s) efforts at the persistent world thread (although four months later in the timeline as a fresh start for all). To ease bookkeeping and avoid the need for a single central coordinator I am suggesting some tweaks to the awards system so that individual players and GMs can track their own karma / cash flow.

The IC thread is <<here>>

Character Gen / Game Notes:
  • 400BPs standard. All books, all races as long as it’s RAW
  • Cha x2 in free contacts (it’s a house rule I’m fond of)
  • Starting characters all get a +10 karma bonus. This karma can be swapped for nuyen on a 1 / 2500¥ basis (characters already on the thread get this bonus + those for IC posts in place of any karma earnt so far, it should balance)
  • You can have multiple PCs (and they don’t all have to be shadowrunners, any denizen of the sixth world that interests you and has roleplay potential is fair game)
  • Karma awards are number of IC posts / 2 and then split across your PCs any way you want.
  • You get 2500¥ per number of IC posts / 2, split as above
  • GMs can make separate awards of cash / karma for good roleplaying, story advancement etc, just record who made the award on your PC’s sheet. This allows for one off big purchases that might otherwise take an excessive amount of time to get.
  • IC posts can be as any character, or as a GM or anything that moves the game world forwards – see below for more detail on the game world
  • Character sheet posts can be in any legible format. Please note on it how much karma you have spent as you may end up splitting your awards across a number of PCs.

Just post a character in this thread and you are good to go...no need for GM approval. The main setting is Seattle, and this is where most PC interaction will probably take place but the whole game world is open (just keep your time / location stamps obvious to avoid any confusion!).

Here’s the info from the original OoC thread post (with some minor amendments):
[ Spoiler ]

Please start IC posts with:
@ (PC or GM you want to respond to the thread) + [Your Character Name]
[Time & Location]

Can you identify in the OoC thread if you are interested in doing some GMing (either exclusively or in addition to running a PC or two) or if you are actively looking for a group/PC archetype within the game world?

I am willing to do some GMing but I am also running my Emerging game so some additional GM support would be much appreciated! I will try and link in with threads that I am playing in or GMing to provide some consistency to players who might be in both.

Any questions or comments then please let me know!

IC Timeline Apr15th to Present
[ Spoiler ]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Aria
post Jul 4 2011, 07:47 AM
Post #2

Dragon

Here's the slightly revised character links list along with links to key bits of information. I've reorganised it by sub-threads. If anyone’s been moved to ‘absent’ but re-joins a thread then let me know and I’ll amend this post.

2072 Map [Seattle]
2072 Map [Chicago]
2072 Map [UK]

Thread Balefire
Aria Silk - Changeling F Infiltrator

Additional Info
[ Spoiler ]

Thread Emerging: Promised Land
Notsoevildm Copperhead - Troll Ganger / Snake Shaman
JxJxA Gemeaux - Escaped Clone
RDMarquis Mordred - Matrial Artist
Onlyghostdanceswhendrunk Mr Hill - Elven Catholic Mage

Additional Info
[ Spoiler ]

Thread Emerging: Tribes
ChromeZephyr Scrapheap – Orc Scavenger
Dakka Fiend Spring - Skiny kid & Tweak - TM buddy
Machine Ghost Sprogget - TM Tinkerer
Nightfalke Alpha Apex - TM Street Rat
RDMarquis LeFey - Disillusioned corp kid & matrix witch
Faultline Glyph - nighttime enforcer/scout, aspiring artist/rocker
Mach-Ten Crow - Amerind adept
AStarshipforAnts Lily-of-the-Valley - Back to nature mage

Additional Info
[ Spoiler ]

Thread Emerging: Circles of Power
Mr Joshua Johnny Awesome
Mister Juan Mieke Van Der Veen
JxJxA Lord Robert Curwen "Trismegistus"
ChromeZephyr Baron Herbert

Additional Info
[ Spoiler ]

Thread Virtual Scream
phlapjack77 Dante ork street sam
Aria Gossamer AI
ChromeZephyr Bianchi PI
Slacker Dubstep Hacker
Karhig Catherine Dryad Face
Mr Joshua Cipher Delusional human TM
The Big Peat Uller Elf Bounty Hunter
Machine Ghost Sprogget - TM Tinkerer

Additional Info
[ Spoiler ]

Absent Players/PCs
[ Spoiler ]

This post has been edited by Aria: May 17 2013, 12:03 PM

+Quote Post
galenbd
post Jul 5 2011, 02:03 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,098

Jamie / Paraku Hacker

[ Spoiler ]

I have questions about the contacts house rule. Is that free contacts, or points to spend on contacts?

Galen

+Quote Post
Seth
post Jul 5 2011, 06:41 AM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 19,113

One thing I like about playing on the forums is the chance to create lots of characters. However I have a character that I created for a game that never got started, that I liked very much.

Jens

If the character is not suitable, I'll be happy to create something else.

+Quote Post
Aria
post Jul 5 2011, 07:55 AM
Post #5

Dragon

@Galenbd: yes, that's free Cha x2 BPs worth of contacts

@Seth: now you can play lots of characters in one thread (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) and GM too...! Bonus (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I'll put up three possible starting threads in the IC post today and you can let me know if they interest you or if you want to pursue something character specific?!?

+Quote Post
Seth
post Jul 5 2011, 08:14 AM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

I'll have to tweak Jens a bit. In that game (IIRC) there were no free contacts, but if you spent 25 bp on contacts and detailed them, you got another 25. (By the way I thought that was a very interesting rule which might work well in 2072).

It's interesting that Jamie and I are quite similar: Jacks of all trades (bit of fighting, bit of talking, bit of hacking...). In a grim and gritty world, you have to be able to do a bit of everything yourself.

+Quote Post
Alyena
post Jul 5 2011, 08:47 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 22,566

Hi Aria

Am interested in playing with Seth rather than against him!

Can you give me an idea of characters you'd like to see?

Many thanks

A x

+Quote Post
Aria
post Jul 5 2011, 09:19 AM
Post #8

Dragon

QUOTE (Alyena @ Jul 5 2011, 09:47 AM) *
Hi Aria

Am interested in playing with Seth rather than against him!

Can you give me an idea of characters you'd like to see?

Many thanks

A x

Anything at all provided it interests you! Of course it would be handy if it wasn't someone with a pathological hatred of vampires (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Characters that are fairly self reliant work best for this thread as the chances are you'll do some solo stuff or in twos / threes rather than groups of four to five...so generalists work well, with a focus on something you are good at (and events should be tailored so that you don't need dice pools of 20+ to succeed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) )

+Quote Post
galenbd
post Jul 5 2011, 11:07 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

QUOTE (Thanee @ Jul 5 2011, 04:03 AM) *
Skills
Electronics 8
Disguise 5

Security Proc 8
Forensics 6

This looks like you have added the Skill Rating and the corresponding Attribute together. That's not such a good idea, you better list the Skill Rating only there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Bye
Thanee

I agree. That is what I did. That way I don't have to calculate the rating when I need to roll. What is your reasoning for why it is better to leave them as just skill ratings?

Galen

+Quote Post
Aria
post Jul 5 2011, 12:42 PM
Post #10

Dragon

I've added three possible threads...

An invstigation / blackmail one, a wrong place at the right time one and a courier one. Let me know if any appeal (there's no reason why you couldn't follow more than one other than me staying sane...)

+Quote Post
galenbd
post Jul 5 2011, 12:44 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

QUOTE (Thanee @ Jul 5 2011, 01:14 PM) *
Because you do not always use them with the default Attribute (esp. Hacking is most often used with Program Ratings; some Skills also might be paired with different Attributes occasionally), sometimes the actual Skill Rating is relevant, and it is easier to figure out the cost to increase a Skill. Also, it might be easy to miss that you often have other modifiers that are involved. Or what if your Attributes get increased or decreased temporarily? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

In any way, you should probably list both (the seperate Skill Rating and your total base Dice Pool).

For example, you list Pistols (Semi-Automatics) 6. I guess that's Skill Rating 3 + Agility 3. In most cases, your Dice Pool will be 10, though (+ Spec + Smartlink). So, the 6 is not really a useful figure, it is just one step of a few included there (i.e. adding the Attribute). Listing the actual, full Dice Pool would be more helpful, I believe.

I think it would be more useful overall, if you list the Skill Ratings just as they are (maybe with the Attribute written out as a reference, i.e. "Pistols (Semi-Automatics) 3+AGI (+2)"), and then maybe make an extra area for Dice Pools, where you have your total Dice Pools for the various actions listed with your "built-in" modifiers.

@Thanee Thank you for your well reasoned reply. I adjusted the character I posted.

@Aria I appreciate the clarity. I have adjusted the contacts section.

Galen

+Quote Post
galenbd
post Jul 5 2011, 12:55 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

My character is most suited to the corporate investigation one, but I think I could work with any of them.

Galen

+Quote Post
Seth
post Jul 5 2011, 02:50 PM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

I'd like to save the little kid... Shall I just start with being in that place, and having the kid run into me?

I haven't 2072ed the character (the creation rules are different) but I don't think that will matter for the first couple of posts

+Quote Post
Aria
post Jul 5 2011, 03:02 PM
Post #14

Dragon

Ok, let's start with the little kid thread as a 'bumping into you' sorta thing

It's also close to the cop shop so if Galen wants to persue that one then he can be in the same place at the same time...

+Quote Post
galenbd
post Jul 5 2011, 03:17 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

I'm happy to join in on the hunt for the kid. I'll post my self on the street, so I'm in the area when things go down.

Galen

+Quote Post
Seth
post Jul 5 2011, 07:00 PM
Post #16

Neophyte Runner

OK so I'm not playing the vamp!

Meet Jotamon (Jack Of All Trades Master Of None).
I have to say that making this character has taken quite some time. I have to thank the DK spreadsheet or a cybered character would be very hard to do!

[ Spoiler ]

To do:
Fully specify software. Sort out contacts and backstory. Check the numbers!

+Quote Post
Seth
post Jul 5 2011, 08:11 PM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

I'm putting these in case (?) there is a combat
Listen for the men: I rolled twice just take the first: 7 successes. Perhaps the second was the visual perception check as they came into sight

Surprise roll. Oh yes I like this already: start lucky! 10 successes
IP 1: two tasers one each. Even more good luck. 5 and 11

Well if that works, it will be a very gratifying beginning to a new character

+Quote Post
Digital Heroin
post Jul 5 2011, 11:28 PM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 4,302

It just so happens I was working on a courier concept for this thread... a re-vamp of my old Parkour Adept, with The Way of the Adept in mind... looks like Seta Drake's about to make him a pick up...

+Quote Post
Aria
post Jul 6 2011, 12:10 PM
Post #19

Dragon

So things are hotting up here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Hope I'm not spreading myself too thin...feel free to kick me if I'm not keeping up (2 games as a gm and 2 as a player will be a stretch but I like a challenge (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) )

I was going to submit my own character but I'll hold fire and see if anyone would like a spot of GMing on this thread too...

@Seth, those shots seem to have ignored some negative mods for range and a second target but given that they were excessively good we'll brush over those details (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Whipcord guy is going to get slightly zapped (thanks to nonconductive linings on his leathers) and street sam is going down like a poleaxed, well poleaxed something or other (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Shouldn't be an issue to disarm the kid...not sure what Jamie will do to you though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ork.gif)

+Quote Post
Seth
post Jul 6 2011, 01:04 PM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

@Aria
Thanks for GMing!

I show ignorance...second target...looking up rules now ( I don't use guns a lot in Shadowrun). I thought the range was going to be less than 5m...my bad

I'm glad the street samurai went down. Perhaps mistakenly he looks scarier.
Since I don't know whos doing what at the moment, I opened up with non lethal force, I'll continue in the same vein for one more IP

I guess its IP2
I need to avoid the dagger of the plucky Jamie: I accidentally rolled twice..just take first 5 successes
and shoot Mr Whipcord twice using up the last two darts in the taser: 5 and 6 (I should have removed 3 from these, as I am in melee combat...)

I'm guessing Mr Whipcord is going to shoot me, so I had better get out of the way of those:
I think I messed up these: I forgot that as I am in melee I get a minus 3, and also forgot that I have the (partial cover?) of the rubbish bags / doorway. So I should have rolled 1 less die
3 and 3. I suspect a world of ouch is coming my way in IP 2.

By the way I haven't named a dependent for my character yet... I like the style of Jamie (even if hes in the process of getting me killed) so if its OK with you I'll make him the (easy?) dependent (i.e. I will have an emotional stake in making sure that hes ok...plenty of fictional precedent I think)

+Quote Post
galenbd
post Jul 6 2011, 01:09 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

All right, I'm new at this system. I want to hack into any communication that is happening between the 3 hunters I can see. At the moment, I don't know what nodes are theirs. If I perform a Locate Wireless Node, I get all node within my Signal range. At rating 4, that's a full km.

Will I be able to tell these 3 out of the hundreds I will get back?

Galen

+Quote Post
Seth
post Jul 6 2011, 01:26 PM
Post #22

Neophyte Runner

@Galenbd
I took a while to find the correct section:
You attempt to locate a hidden node. You must be aware of the node, or at least have a good guess of where the device should be (for example,
if your commlink is not detecting a node for Mr. Johnson but you are pretty sure he has a PAN, or when you can see the security
drone but it is operating in Hidden mode). To find the node, make a Electronic Warfare + Scan (4) Test.
You may instead make a general search for Hidden nodes that are within mutual Signal range. In this case, the test is an Electronic
Warfare + Scan (15+, 1 Combat Turn) Extended Test, rather than a Complex Action

I'm fairly sure that you are in the first mode, so you scan "the four people over there", and need 4 successes on EW + Scan.

You'll pick up mine: I'm "Mr Black".

As a side note, you probably saw me drop my paper bag as the gun shots fired..

+Quote Post
galenbd
post Jul 6 2011, 01:44 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

I saw that as well. That is for a Hidden PAN. If these 3 are working in coordination, they are not Hidden, they are Passive. From the text you posted, Scan can be used to find Hidden Nodes on an individual.

Here is the text for Detect Wireless Node:
Detect Active/Passive Wireless Nodes (System)
You automatically find all of the nodes within Signal range that are in Active or Passive mode.

It seems a reasonable assumption that I can use Detect Wireless Node to find out if an individual has a PAN. If it's Hidden, I should get back nothing. If Passive, or Active, it should give me the data. It also seems like this action would give me back every Node within a km. It seems reasonable I could set it up so it catalogs Nodes I can see differently, so they are more obvious.

I'm not sure what skill is associated to this. It lists System, but does not list a skill associated. It might be automatic. I think I will assume Electronic Warfare + System.

Galen

+Quote Post
Aria
post Jul 6 2011, 01:47 PM
Post #24

Dragon

Jamie is Galenbd I think...you don't know the kid's name yet...let me know if I've got that wrong (multiple thread tracking at the moment (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) )

+Quote Post
Seth
post Jul 6 2011, 02:06 PM
Post #25

Neophyte Runner

Good news for you: its a free action to find any active / passive in the area:
Detect Active/Passive Wireless Nodes (System )
You automatically find all of the nodes within Signal range that are in Active or Passive mode.

By the way: glad we did this. My understanding of the modes of operation are far better now.

@Aria
Gotcha. The kids called "Kid". No problem.
Its the kid that's going to get me killed!

+Quote Post

155 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:40 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.