Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2072 [+4 Months]
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78
Aria
With your help I would like to resurrect Unsound’s (and later Grimm’s) efforts at the persistent world thread (although four months later in the timeline as a fresh start for all). To ease bookkeeping and avoid the need for a single central coordinator I am suggesting some tweaks to the awards system so that individual players and GMs can track their own karma / cash flow.

The IC thread is <<here>>

Character Gen / Game Notes:
  • 400BPs standard. All books, all races as long as it’s RAW
  • Cha x2 in free contacts (it’s a house rule I’m fond of)
  • Starting characters all get a +10 karma bonus. This karma can be swapped for nuyen on a 1 / 2500¥ basis (characters already on the thread get this bonus + those for IC posts in place of any karma earnt so far, it should balance)
  • You can have multiple PCs (and they don’t all have to be shadowrunners, any denizen of the sixth world that interests you and has roleplay potential is fair game)
  • Karma awards are number of IC posts / 2 and then split across your PCs any way you want.
  • You get 2500¥ per number of IC posts / 2, split as above
  • GMs can make separate awards of cash / karma for good roleplaying, story advancement etc, just record who made the award on your PC’s sheet. This allows for one off big purchases that might otherwise take an excessive amount of time to get.
  • IC posts can be as any character, or as a GM or anything that moves the game world forwards – see below for more detail on the game world
  • Character sheet posts can be in any legible format. Please note on it how much karma you have spent as you may end up splitting your awards across a number of PCs.

Just post a character in this thread and you are good to go...no need for GM approval. The main setting is Seattle, and this is where most PC interaction will probably take place but the whole game world is open (just keep your time / location stamps obvious to avoid any confusion!).

Here’s the info from the original OoC thread post (with some minor amendments):
[ Spoiler ]

Please start IC posts with:
@ (PC or GM you want to respond to the thread) + [Your Character Name]
[Time & Location]

Can you identify in the OoC thread if you are interested in doing some GMing (either exclusively or in addition to running a PC or two) or if you are actively looking for a group/PC archetype within the game world?

I am willing to do some GMing but I am also running my Emerging game so some additional GM support would be much appreciated! I will try and link in with threads that I am playing in or GMing to provide some consistency to players who might be in both.

Any questions or comments then please let me know!

IC Timeline Apr15th to Present
[ Spoiler ]
Aria
Here's the slightly revised character links list along with links to key bits of information. I've reorganised it by sub-threads. If anyone’s been moved to ‘absent’ but re-joins a thread then let me know and I’ll amend this post.

2072 Map [Seattle]
2072 Map [Chicago]
2072 Map [UK]

Thread Balefire
Aria Silk - Changeling F Infiltrator

Additional Info
[ Spoiler ]

Thread Emerging: Promised Land
Notsoevildm Copperhead - Troll Ganger / Snake Shaman
JxJxA Gemeaux - Escaped Clone
RDMarquis Mordred - Matrial Artist
Onlyghostdanceswhendrunk Mr Hill - Elven Catholic Mage

Additional Info
[ Spoiler ]

Thread Emerging: Tribes
ChromeZephyr Scrapheap – Orc Scavenger
Dakka Fiend Spring - Skiny kid & Tweak - TM buddy
Machine Ghost Sprogget - TM Tinkerer
Nightfalke Alpha Apex - TM Street Rat
RDMarquis LeFey - Disillusioned corp kid & matrix witch
Faultline Glyph - nighttime enforcer/scout, aspiring artist/rocker
Mach-Ten Crow - Amerind adept
AStarshipforAnts Lily-of-the-Valley - Back to nature mage

Additional Info
[ Spoiler ]

Thread Emerging: Circles of Power
Mr Joshua Johnny Awesome
Mister Juan Mieke Van Der Veen
JxJxA Lord Robert Curwen "Trismegistus"
ChromeZephyr Baron Herbert

Additional Info
[ Spoiler ]

Thread Virtual Scream
phlapjack77 Dante ork street sam
Aria Gossamer AI
ChromeZephyr Bianchi PI
Slacker Dubstep Hacker
Karhig Catherine Dryad Face
Mr Joshua Cipher Delusional human TM
The Big Peat Uller Elf Bounty Hunter
Machine Ghost Sprogget - TM Tinkerer

Additional Info
[ Spoiler ]

Absent Players/PCs
[ Spoiler ]
galenbd
Jamie / Paraku Hacker

[ Spoiler ]

I have questions about the contacts house rule. Is that free contacts, or points to spend on contacts?

Galen
Seth
One thing I like about playing on the forums is the chance to create lots of characters. However I have a character that I created for a game that never got started, that I liked very much.

Jens

If the character is not suitable, I'll be happy to create something else.
Aria
@Galenbd: yes, that's free Cha x2 BPs worth of contacts

@Seth: now you can play lots of characters in one thread smile.gif and GM too...! Bonus biggrin.gif

I'll put up three possible starting threads in the IC post today and you can let me know if they interest you or if you want to pursue something character specific?!?
Seth
I'll have to tweak Jens a bit. In that game (IIRC) there were no free contacts, but if you spent 25 bp on contacts and detailed them, you got another 25. (By the way I thought that was a very interesting rule which might work well in 2072).

It's interesting that Jamie and I are quite similar: Jacks of all trades (bit of fighting, bit of talking, bit of hacking...). In a grim and gritty world, you have to be able to do a bit of everything yourself.
Alyena
Hi Aria

Am interested in playing with Seth rather than against him!

Can you give me an idea of characters you'd like to see?

Many thanks

A x
Aria
QUOTE (Alyena @ Jul 5 2011, 09:47 AM) *
Hi Aria

Am interested in playing with Seth rather than against him!

Can you give me an idea of characters you'd like to see?

Many thanks

A x

Anything at all provided it interests you! Of course it would be handy if it wasn't someone with a pathological hatred of vampires smile.gif

Characters that are fairly self reliant work best for this thread as the chances are you'll do some solo stuff or in twos / threes rather than groups of four to five...so generalists work well, with a focus on something you are good at (and events should be tailored so that you don't need dice pools of 20+ to succeed smile.gif)
galenbd
QUOTE (Thanee @ Jul 5 2011, 04:03 AM) *
Skills
Electronics 8
Disguise 5

Security Proc 8
Forensics 6

This looks like you have added the Skill Rating and the corresponding Attribute together. That's not such a good idea, you better list the Skill Rating only there. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee

I agree. That is what I did. That way I don't have to calculate the rating when I need to roll. What is your reasoning for why it is better to leave them as just skill ratings?

Galen
Aria
I've added three possible threads...

An invstigation / blackmail one, a wrong place at the right time one and a courier one. Let me know if any appeal (there's no reason why you couldn't follow more than one other than me staying sane...)
galenbd
QUOTE (Thanee @ Jul 5 2011, 01:14 PM) *
Because you do not always use them with the default Attribute (esp. Hacking is most often used with Program Ratings; some Skills also might be paired with different Attributes occasionally), sometimes the actual Skill Rating is relevant, and it is easier to figure out the cost to increase a Skill. Also, it might be easy to miss that you often have other modifiers that are involved. Or what if your Attributes get increased or decreased temporarily? smile.gif

In any way, you should probably list both (the seperate Skill Rating and your total base Dice Pool).

For example, you list Pistols (Semi-Automatics) 6. I guess that's Skill Rating 3 + Agility 3. In most cases, your Dice Pool will be 10, though (+ Spec + Smartlink). So, the 6 is not really a useful figure, it is just one step of a few included there (i.e. adding the Attribute). Listing the actual, full Dice Pool would be more helpful, I believe.

I think it would be more useful overall, if you list the Skill Ratings just as they are (maybe with the Attribute written out as a reference, i.e. "Pistols (Semi-Automatics) 3+AGI (+2)"), and then maybe make an extra area for Dice Pools, where you have your total Dice Pools for the various actions listed with your "built-in" modifiers.

@Thanee Thank you for your well reasoned reply. I adjusted the character I posted.

@Aria I appreciate the clarity. I have adjusted the contacts section.

Galen
galenbd
My character is most suited to the corporate investigation one, but I think I could work with any of them.

Galen
Seth
I'd like to save the little kid... Shall I just start with being in that place, and having the kid run into me?

I haven't 2072ed the character (the creation rules are different) but I don't think that will matter for the first couple of posts
Aria
Ok, let's start with the little kid thread as a 'bumping into you' sorta thing

It's also close to the cop shop so if Galen wants to persue that one then he can be in the same place at the same time...
galenbd
I'm happy to join in on the hunt for the kid. I'll post my self on the street, so I'm in the area when things go down.

Galen
Seth
OK so I'm not playing the vamp!

Meet Jotamon (Jack Of All Trades Master Of None).
I have to say that making this character has taken quite some time. I have to thank the DK spreadsheet or a cybered character would be very hard to do!

[ Spoiler ]

To do:
Fully specify software. Sort out contacts and backstory. Check the numbers!
Seth
I'm putting these in case (?) there is a combat
Listen for the men: I rolled twice just take the first: 7 successes. Perhaps the second was the visual perception check as they came into sight

Surprise roll. Oh yes I like this already: start lucky! 10 successes
IP 1: two tasers one each. Even more good luck. 5 and 11

Well if that works, it will be a very gratifying beginning to a new character
Digital Heroin
It just so happens I was working on a courier concept for this thread... a re-vamp of my old Parkour Adept, with The Way of the Adept in mind... looks like Seta Drake's about to make him a pick up...
Aria
So things are hotting up here smile.gif Hope I'm not spreading myself too thin...feel free to kick me if I'm not keeping up (2 games as a gm and 2 as a player will be a stretch but I like a challenge smile.gif)

I was going to submit my own character but I'll hold fire and see if anyone would like a spot of GMing on this thread too...

@Seth, those shots seem to have ignored some negative mods for range and a second target but given that they were excessively good we'll brush over those details biggrin.gif

Whipcord guy is going to get slightly zapped (thanks to nonconductive linings on his leathers) and street sam is going down like a poleaxed, well poleaxed something or other smile.gif

Shouldn't be an issue to disarm the kid...not sure what Jamie will do to you though ork.gif
Seth
@Aria
Thanks for GMing!

I show ignorance...second target...looking up rules now ( I don't use guns a lot in Shadowrun). I thought the range was going to be less than 5m...my bad

I'm glad the street samurai went down. Perhaps mistakenly he looks scarier.
Since I don't know whos doing what at the moment, I opened up with non lethal force, I'll continue in the same vein for one more IP

I guess its IP2
I need to avoid the dagger of the plucky Jamie: I accidentally rolled twice..just take first 5 successes
and shoot Mr Whipcord twice using up the last two darts in the taser: 5 and 6 (I should have removed 3 from these, as I am in melee combat...)

I'm guessing Mr Whipcord is going to shoot me, so I had better get out of the way of those:
I think I messed up these: I forgot that as I am in melee I get a minus 3, and also forgot that I have the (partial cover?) of the rubbish bags / doorway. So I should have rolled 1 less die
3 and 3. I suspect a world of ouch is coming my way in IP 2.

By the way I haven't named a dependent for my character yet... I like the style of Jamie (even if hes in the process of getting me killed) so if its OK with you I'll make him the (easy?) dependent (i.e. I will have an emotional stake in making sure that hes ok...plenty of fictional precedent I think)
galenbd
All right, I'm new at this system. I want to hack into any communication that is happening between the 3 hunters I can see. At the moment, I don't know what nodes are theirs. If I perform a Locate Wireless Node, I get all node within my Signal range. At rating 4, that's a full km.

Will I be able to tell these 3 out of the hundreds I will get back?

Galen
Seth
@Galenbd
I took a while to find the correct section:
You attempt to locate a hidden node. You must be aware of the node, or at least have a good guess of where the device should be (for example,
if your commlink is not detecting a node for Mr. Johnson but you are pretty sure he has a PAN, or when you can see the security
drone but it is operating in Hidden mode). To find the node, make a Electronic Warfare + Scan (4) Test.
You may instead make a general search for Hidden nodes that are within mutual Signal range. In this case, the test is an Electronic
Warfare + Scan (15+, 1 Combat Turn) Extended Test, rather than a Complex Action

I'm fairly sure that you are in the first mode, so you scan "the four people over there", and need 4 successes on EW + Scan.

You'll pick up mine: I'm "Mr Black".

As a side note, you probably saw me drop my paper bag as the gun shots fired..
galenbd
I saw that as well. That is for a Hidden PAN. If these 3 are working in coordination, they are not Hidden, they are Passive. From the text you posted, Scan can be used to find Hidden Nodes on an individual.

Here is the text for Detect Wireless Node:
Detect Active/Passive Wireless Nodes (System)
You automatically find all of the nodes within Signal range that are in Active or Passive mode.

It seems a reasonable assumption that I can use Detect Wireless Node to find out if an individual has a PAN. If it's Hidden, I should get back nothing. If Passive, or Active, it should give me the data. It also seems like this action would give me back every Node within a km. It seems reasonable I could set it up so it catalogs Nodes I can see differently, so they are more obvious.

I'm not sure what skill is associated to this. It lists System, but does not list a skill associated. It might be automatic. I think I will assume Electronic Warfare + System.

Galen

Aria
Jamie is Galenbd I think...you don't know the kid's name yet...let me know if I've got that wrong (multiple thread tracking at the moment nyahnyah.gif)
Seth
Good news for you: its a free action to find any active / passive in the area:
Detect Active/Passive Wireless Nodes (System )
You automatically find all of the nodes within Signal range that are in Active or Passive mode.

By the way: glad we did this. My understanding of the modes of operation are far better now.

@Aria
Gotcha. The kids called "Kid". No problem.
Its the kid that's going to get me killed!
galenbd
Initiative
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3099002/
With 5 hits, it looks like my Initiative is 15. I have 2 Initiative passes.

Locate Wireless Nodes roll - I only got one hit.
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3098987/

Galen
Seth
Hey Galen there is useful thing on invisible castle. If you ask for 1 roll of say "6d6.hits(5)", it will give you a nicer format and count the ones that got 5 or more.

I think you undersold yourself. Scanning is Electronic Warface + Scan, so thats (I think) 7 die with your EW skill of 2, and program at 5.

Summary of where I am in the round:
IP1: I had the drop on the two guys, shot the samurai
IP2: Dodged the kid, shot the remaining guy twice, have rolled some dodges against any counterfire
IP3: If I am not blown away by the counterfire I will ready my Rutger Warhawk, then shoot the Whipcord cord with the BFGTM
galenbd
QUOTE (Seth @ Jul 6 2011, 11:35 AM) *
I think you undersold yourself. Scanning is Electronic Warface + Scan, so thats (I think) 7 die with your EW skill of 2, and program at 5.

That’s what was so confusing about this. As far as I can tell, Scan is only used to find a Hidden Node. If the Node is not Hidden, the System should automatically find it. If you actually want to eavesdrop, you have to use Sniffer.

That being said, I think I forgot one die from my System rating. It should have been 7 dice.

Galen
Alyena
Hi Aria

Have gone for something a little different to Alyena smile.gif Here is first draft of Doza.

Any advise or suggestions on things like -ve qualities would be gratefully received.

[ Spoiler ]
Seth
@Aria
If you post where your character is, I'll recruit him/her for a run. I'm happy to run it for any number of people (within non crazy limits)
A pub setting would be good. I just bought some second hand scenarios, and I fancy running one of them.
Aria
QUOTE (Alyena @ Jul 6 2011, 10:13 PM) *
Hi Aria

Have gone for something a little different to Alyena smile.gif Here is first draft of Doza.

Any advise or suggestions on things like -ve qualities would be gratefully received.

[ Spoiler ]

Used MBWII, really?!? ork.gif Something like high maintenance implant or weird mod noise might be appropriate! I'm looking forward to the background that explains how you came by that smile.gif

Minor note, it's 10 bonus karma for character gen in this one (I know it's 20 in some of my other games, sorry for any confusion).

I'll try and write an IC post for you this afternoon placing you on the scene with Jamie and Jotamon

Can I have a background and contacts from you too Seth? I'll think about which character I'd like to get going in this thread...I have so many smile.gif
Seth
Can I have a background and contacts from you too Seth?

Currently working on it. Alyena and I are planning on a related background.

I made the same mistake with karma, so I will sort out adjustments.
Aria
Seth, I'll throw Ember into the mix (as he's already in the thread as a potential hirer nyahnyah.gif)

Link <<here>>

Do you want me to start him off waiting to meet someone in a Redmond (Touristville) dive on the evening of the 15th?
Seth
Nice website
Do you want me to start him off waiting to meet someone in a Redmond (Touristville) dive on the evening of the 15th?

That sounds good. I haven't put a lot of thought into the prelude but perhaps something a little in the style of 2072 like:

Can we have a bit of bemoaning the fact that you are short of cash... Hospital fees for the car crash Charlotte and the children were in were sadly not covered by the worthless University health insurance. You have checked them into Dr Bobs street clinic. You had enough to pay, but that drained your reserves...etc. Charlotte is obviously not in a position to find work for you. At the moment they are in intensive care, but their prognosis is good. Dr Bob is a very good doctor: he's patched you up before, and says that he will be keeping them in hot sleep for about three days, so there is no point you being about. "Go home and go to sleep". You start a little tired in a bar, having a small beer on the way home.

Your prose is better than mine so go to it!
Seth
Electronic warfare + Scan 3 successes Detect hidden nodes
Electronic warface + Sniffer 2 successes I need to work on this...

I hope that's enough to support the garbled interception

Calming the kid down. I am not sure which social skill it is, so just rolling the influence group: 5 successes.

Aria
Well money isn’t really a problem for Ember, trust fund baby of wealthy French nobility and all that...but I’ve gone with your little seed, he’s in the barrens because he needed an out of the way street doc (Argent has helped them in the past with supplies etc so he trusts them) rather than a reputable hospital.

He suspects that his family were deliberately run off the road... (Whether they were or not is up to you smile.gif) revenge hook, a classic!!! biggrin.gif

Ps. Don’t sell yourself short on the prose thing! ...and your mind is even more twisted than mine ork.gif

2072 Karma earnt: 26 spent: Silk 10, Ember 9
galenbd
Track User
Skill: Computer
Utility: Track
Extended: 10, Complex
Reference: Core p. 232

2 successes

Galen
Seth
We need a contextual shorthand. I'm adlibing so that we don't get confused which game it is:

@Aria/Jotamon
If your OK with it, I'm going to have the kid faint. That leaves the two of us with a problem. And she's a girl, probably better with kids than I am. I'm planning a background with Alyena now, but having seen your Ember website, I suspect we will be a few days at it!

@Aria/Ember
Tempest lets you known that the guy with the knife was awakened, and that the other guy has a serious amount of chrome.

@GalenDb
We need a reason to stick together for a while. Suggestions:
  • If you have a vehicle that would be awesome, otherwise I have to drag him to the Metro, steal a car or phone for a Kombat Kab.
  • If you vaguely know the kid (Aria?) that would help: you might know where we can take him
  • If you know a safehouse, or street doc place really near by that would be good
Seth
@Aria/Ember
We were admiring your post: looking for inspiration when Alyena spotted there is a mismatch in Ember's age. You must have been a precocious 5 year old when you married Charlotte...(18 years married, 23 years old). All praise Alyena's proof reading skill.
galenbd
QUOTE (Seth @ Jul 7 2011, 12:16 PM) *
@GalenDb
We need a reason to stick together for a while. Suggestions:
  • If you have a vehicle that would be awesome, otherwise I have to drag him to the Metro, steal a car or phone for a Kombat Kab.
  • If you vaguely know the kid (Aria?) that would help: you might know where we can take him
  • If you know a safehouse, or street doc place really near by that would be good

Yeah, I'm handwaving a lot of the normal paranoia that comes with Shadowrun. I have both a car and a street doc. Ask me IC and I'll make it happen.

Galen
Aria
QUOTE (Seth @ Jul 7 2011, 06:44 PM) *
@Aria/Ember
We were admiring your post: looking for inspiration when Alyena spotted there is a mismatch in Ember's age. You must have been a precocious 5 year old when you married Charlotte...(18 years married, 23 years old). All praise Alyena's proof reading skill.

lol...copy paste error (I've been using Silk's sheet as the basis for new ones nyahnyah.gif)

He's 39ish I think...

Will get back to you tomorrow on the other stuff smile.gif
Seth
Yeah, I'm handwaving a lot of the normal paranoia that comes with Shadowrun. I have both a car and a street doc. Ask me IC and I'll make it happen.

Handwavium AKA AppliedPhlebotinum (warning TV Tropes will ruin your life) is that most precious of substance especially at a time like this!

galenbd
I think I screwed up.

I never upgraded the node in the car, so it's signal rating is 1. I had assumed I would not need to call it from far away. I figure I'm a couple hundred meters from it. That's well out of range.

@Aria Do you want me to redo this? I should be able to know a local node I can hack that would be closer if you'd rather me go that route.

Also I have realized it only has Pilot 1 and Response of 1. It would roll 2 dice to follow my directions. I hope it would get a dice pool bonus for simple instructions and a previously defined route.

Galen
Seth
I think signal rating 1 would be ok, as you have parked it in a sensible place, and every where is covered by WiFi. Its not the distance to you, its the distance to the nearest network access point. I would increase it though (although I am looking at my character and none of them have. I can see a future involving a soldering iron for many of them)

I think the car only only needs to roll die if its likely to fail: so when the baddies turn up as the car arrives that will be exciting! But just to go from A to B I don't think it needs a die roll.
galenbd
QUOTE (Seth @ Jul 8 2011, 10:41 AM) *
I think signal rating 1 would be ok, as you have parked it in a sensible place, and every where is covered by WiFi. Its not the distance to you, its the distance to the nearest network access point. I would increase it though (although I am looking at my character and none of them have. I can see a future involving a soldering iron for many of them)

I'm not sure what the layout of easily accessible nodes is within the Redmond Barrens. I agree, I will need to make some form of upgrade. Signal in particular is cheap to upgrade.

QUOTE (Seth @ Jul 8 2011, 10:41 AM) *
I think the car only only needs to roll die if its likely to fail: so when the baddies turn up as the car arrives that will be exciting! But just to go from A to B I don't think it needs a die roll.

I didn't want to assume this would be a simple task. I figured I'd let the GM decide. It might make a good story if the car drove past me.

Galen
Seth
What kind of person brings a medkit to go shopping?

I am simply a concerned individual who has yours and the kids welfare at heart. I'm already making up excuses to justify to myself why I am getting involved, but basically its a beaten up scared kid, and we Mafia types don't approve of that (unless we are doing the beating up).

I actually thought quite hard about whether I would have it before I posted... but it is the barrens, and 2072 kit is pretty small. I thought a medikit, a taser and a customized BFG for scaring off gangsters would be enough. Little did I know what nefarious schemes the GM would throw at us!

Aria
Speaking as the nefarious GM I approve of taking the medkit smile.gif

Galen, you are in Touristville so there's plenty of wifi coverage here. Seth had it right with the pilot too...it's capable of following a pre planned route, just hope the clean up crew don't tag you ork.gif

Not sure I'll get a comprehensive IC post up before Monday but I'll do my best...give Alyana a chance to join you anyway smile.gif
Digital Heroin
Presumptuous post up... will post his sheet tonight, as it's at home and in need of massaging.
galenbd
QUOTE (Aria @ Jul 8 2011, 10:18 AM) *
@Jamie
Yokinko flags a possible trace about three blocks away, that kid can run! It's difficult to pinpoint exactly as the signal has broken off before the trace completed...

I am new to this system. Can you please explain in game terms what happened? I had two successes out of 10. Yokinko was trying to get more to complete the trace. He should need 8 more. Did he report that his task was finished? Jamie should know what actions could result in this effect. Galen does not.

Galen
Seth
Hi Digital Heroin. Nice to (nearly) make your acquaintance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012