Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2072 [+4 Months]
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78
galenbd

I've got 12 IC posts. By that count I have accumulated 6 karma and 15,000 nuyen. Now what? Do I just spend these OoC? Do I need to work it into the story? Does it happen at some downtime point? How limited is my Availability?

Galen
Seth
I think we can get there our selves. Jamie doesn't know where it is so I hope Jotomon will suggest it at some point. Jamie's currently just trying to get the hell out of Dodge.
Galen

I was just being IC cautious: if you were going to jump ship, then I didn't want you to know where the meet was. I suspect those people with pliers would be after you smile.gif

@Aria/Ember
Nice to see you are getting the group together. I won't post until you are ready to go see / hack / spell /... Mr Allenby
galenbd
QUOTE (Seth @ Jul 19 2011, 10:36 AM) *
Thanks for the data link.

I didn't actually send it to Jotomon. As far as I know he hasn't opened his commlink to me. I try to only hack the commlinks of people shooting at me.

Galen
Aria
QUOTE (galenbd @ Jul 19 2011, 03:33 PM) *
I've got 12 IC posts. By that count I have accumulated 6 karma and 15,000 nuyen. Now what? Do I just spend these OoC? Do I need to work it into the story? Does it happen at some downtime point? How limited is my Availability?

Galen

In theory you can spend karma at any time...it's advancement and can be rationalised however you want...IC or OoC (although perhaps better IC?).

Equipment wise I'd prefer this to be done in the game as I did for Silk...don't worry you don't need to read the entire thread smile.gif ...In essence I picked up a stash of goods worth the cash but you can explain it any way you want! Anything under avail 12 is fine...more than this then I suggest you roll or get a contact to roll or ask your GM nicely biggrin.gif
Seth
I didn't actually send it to Jotomon. As far as I know he hasn't opened his commlink to me. I try to only hack the commlinks of people shooting at me.

Sorry I had actually given you the details: The business card had a number on it: you can send it to that number. (It doesn't have an address as I am travelling at the moment).

@Aria/Jotamon
Just checking how equipment works:
  • I wouldn't mind buying a spoof chip. Its rating 8F, 500 nuyen. I have the contacts, and normally that would take a couple of days to get. Are you happy that we can "just do it".
  • A second example: I want to buy some pirated software. Normally that would take me a couple of hours.
  • THirdly I'd like to buy a smoke grenade. Can I just call in at a store and pick one up?
JxJxA
Post is up. Here's a quick bio and short description of Demon smile.gif

Bio
[ Spoiler ]

Description
[ Spoiler ]

Demon
  • Primary Goal: Seek redemption for his admittedly microscopic part in Project Omen (he was hired by some of the corps to do wetwork) which crippled France
  • Secondary Goals: Become the very best assassin, protect his friends, live life to the fullest
  • Plot Hooks: Anything involving Project Omen participants (he wants to wipe them out), unwarranted violence against women (especially prostitutes), wetwork that hurts mega-corps, info on the bastards who hurt Molly and killed Pixel

Demon's Contacts: (assuming they are still alive x_x)

Fixer-Nicodeme Otes (Loyalty 4/Connection 4) A French fixer, if it kills then he probably sells it with a smile...
[ Spoiler ]

Street Doc-Catheryn Price (Loyalty 4/Connection 4) An ex EMT, she found that freelancing offers better hours and better pay...
[ Spoiler ]

Ms. Johnson-Joann Jewels (Loyalty 2/Connection 4) A young woman with old eyes, she has an inside scoop on shadowy work...
[ Spoiler ]
Aria
Oh yes...Demon will get on great with Ember lol (Ember's a member of French aristocracy...fallen from grace but no less posh for all that biggrin.gif)

@Seth: If you think a smoke grenade would be at a store then you can certainly buy one...or just ask a Family contact to get you one? The same applies to the other items I guess...if it makes for a good story then go get 'em...if it would be more dramatic to wait with baited breath then go with that? Because this is a colaborative story rather then purely GM lead I would say that players have more freedom to decide for themselves (unless it's blatantly metagaming in which case the big GM boot of DOOOM might come in to play ork.gif)
Seth
Thanks for the clarification Aria.
Aria
...and can someone remind me what a spoof chip is and which book it's from?
Seth
Its in Arsenal p105 for me.

Its kind of electronic fake number plates: usually they go with morphing license plates.

I just have this feeling that we are probably being followed by the bad guys (a lot of people want this hot package, and how hard would it be for a hot hacker to follow us?.

Mostly I think we need to get the kid cleaned up, then we can go in and out of a shopping mall, and escape on the metro. Sleeping kids get an "aww" reaction, while bloody kids get a "PANICBUTTON" reaction.
JxJxA
Haha, very nice. Demon will be ecstatic to be running with someone else who speaks a more civilized language and enjoys the finer (read French) things in life. grinbig.gif
Aria
QUOTE (JxJxA @ Jul 20 2011, 11:56 AM) *
Haha, very nice. Demon will be ecstatic to be running with someone else who speaks a more civilized language and enjoys the finer (read French) things in life. grinbig.gif

Just don't expect my RL French to be up to much...it's seriously rusty!
Aria
I've added character links to post 2 of this thread - please let me know if I've missed anything/one

If you change where your character is posted can you let me know and I'll endevour to keep the links up to date.

Anyone want to create a hacker to join Ember's run? Running multiple characters is fine - otherwise I'll badger Seth to create an NPC hacker.

DH? You ready to post your character?
JxJxA
QUOTE (Aria @ Jul 20 2011, 08:47 PM) *
Just don't expect my RL French to be up to much...it's seriously rusty!

LOL, no worries. I took Spanish class, myself, so a lot of what I use will be bits and snatches from Google Translate nyahnyah.gif
Seth
NPC Hacker is fine:
Crystal is a weird hacker very roughly known to your friends in Stillwater. Reputation: curious, very capable, never welches on a deal. Fees: very reasonable.
galenbd
Yokinko Detect Hidden Node
Reference: Core p. 230
Skill: Agent 4 + Response 5
Utility: Scan 3
Threshold: 4

3 successes

Retry to get over Threshold
2 successes

Galen
galenbd
Jamie's roll to locate a safehouse

2 successes

Galen
Notsoevildm
@Seth

I have ignored your post for the moment and continued with the scene in the eatery. Am I right in assuming that your post is still valid for when we go to visit Mr Allenby?

At some point before the meet Copperhead will attempt to summon an air spirit and cast Combat sense into her sustaining focus.

Summon F3 Air spirit: Summoning 3 + Charisma 3 = 6d6.hits(5)=4
Spirit resists = 3d6.hits(5)=0 - 4 services, put it on standby
Resist 2S drain = Willpower 5 + Charisma 3 = 8d6.hits(5)=2 - no drain

Cast Combat Sense into focus (F1): Spellcasting 3 + Magic 3 = 6d6.hits(5)=3 - limited to one
Resist 2S drain: Willpower 5 + Charisma 3 = 8d6.hits(5)=3 - no drain

Before entering Allenby's location, she will also put up Detect Enemies:

Cast Detect Enemies at F3: Spellcasting 3 + Magic 3 + Mentor 2 = 8d6.hits(5)=5 - limited to 3
Resist 2S drain: Willpower 5 + Charisma 3 + Limited 2 = 10d6.hits(5)=3 - no drain
Notsoevildm
QUOTE (Aria @ Jul 20 2011, 03:06 PM) *
I've added character links to post 2 of this thread - please let me know if I've missed anything/one

You missed Copperhead - link to her sheet is in my sig.
JxJxA
@Seth

I'm just waiting for someone else to take the lead for the moment. I just jumped in and need some time to catch up with reading the posts. smile.gif
Aria
QUOTE (Notsoevildm @ Jul 21 2011, 09:57 AM) *
You missed Copperhead - link to her sheet is in my sig.

Doh! Will sort that

@Seth, confused by your post about Death head studio - I set the meet at the aurora because I thought we were headed to his pad just north of there nyahnyah.gif

To cover my blunder can I assume that a quick astral sweep of his home tells me he's not there and we haveto head south? We should just about make it in time...?!?
Aria
@Galen: the bullets with the tags are the ones in your car... I decided they were near enough to the kid for your agent to pick up smile.gif
Aria
Um, Seth...what happened to our grand arrival at Deaths Head Studios?!? smile.gif
galenbd
QUOTE (Aria @ Jul 21 2011, 09:33 AM) *
@Galen: the bullets with the tags are the ones in your car... I decided they were near enough to the kid for your agent to pick up smile.gif

That had occured to me as well. However, given Yokinko's report, it wasn't my first thought. Thanks for showing your hand though.

Galen
Aria
We'll give Seth and Alyena a chance to respond and then I'll ambush you all ork.gif
galenbd
Here I was hoping to get ahead of that. Alas.

Galen
Seth
Alyena's out scouting...Sorry its end of term, and school and scouting have kept her (and to a lesser extent me) madly busy.

@Aria
Well I have managed to get this a bit messy. I was going to take it out, and have you finish your meeting then put it back in. Didn't work. I've put it back.

@Aria/Galen/Notsoevildm
OK the receptionist is terrified of you but has her instructions and she is sticking to them. Feel free to have a conversation with her. Her body language leaves you in no doubt which room Mr Allenby is in (its the corner one with his nameplate on it).
Seth
@Aria/Jotamon
EW+Scan: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3119927/

Let me know if its a different skill. I can do some more rolls, but it will probably only take me a short number of rounds, and we seem to be in the minutes per action at the moment. Between me and Jamie we should get it.

Personally I suspect the tag is in the bullet, which is in the car and going to be hard to remove.

I'm assuming that its easy to use encrypt to talk over a service to Kombat Kabs (Skype is already encrypted today). My encrypt program is 6
JxJxA
Looks like we may be devolving into combat, so I'm going to list my current gear:
[ Spoiler ]

And yes, he named his guns because he is ridiculous. nyahnyah.gif
Notsoevildm
@Seth:
Copperhead doesn't have Intimidation as a skill, so would be defaulting to Charisma (lol).

Staredown: 2d6.hits(5)=2 - can't do better than that!
Seth
I am reminded of a picture in the Paranoia game. A man is pointing a bazooka at a person standing next to a huge tank marked "petroleum fuel". The caption was something like "Fred gains a bonus on his intimidate".
Aria
Seth, slightly confused with where you think you are for the Ambush Scene? Assuming you are heading to the university district I imagine you’ll have grabbed the 405 and then the 90 towards downtown. You’d need to go north to get to your destination but the airport is a fair way south of the 90…

Can you clarify before I write myself (and you) into a hole smile.gif

The 2072 map shows where I assume you are meeting Doza and where you came from...link is in my sig via my website to avoid hunting through this thread again...
Seth
Sorry I think I got my scale wrong. I was looking at this, and going for location E.

Before I edit it can you give me an idea of what is around, and where a good spot would be. I'll do it by looking at the equivalent of google maps with security ratings superimposed. Not the best I have ever done: 2 successes. My feeling is that if there is going to be a firefight we want to be in a low security area, or we get arrested. My other feeling is if we take a random route its hard for them to head us off.

In any event, almost any random move is better than staying in a straight line as we are doing at the moment
Aria
Hmmm, haven't got access to my very old and battered Seattle book at the moment so we'll have to wing it...assuming you went north off the 90 then I'd think the best hiding place is the university district (under a mile from the 90) or perhaps the international district which is about a mile further on...

...but wait...what's this? A traffic jam coming up? ork.gif

EDIT: Ambush is on S Dearborn St (left off Rainer Ave S - map updated)...traffic building towards the Arc. Security rating is probably between A-B and response times are likely to be fast so perhaps they are desperate? Or maybe they wanna talk?
JxJxA
Demon is going to peek around the room (and do a little eavesdropping of his own)

Visual perception: Looking for baddies
Intuition(3) + Perception(3) + Vision Enhancement(2) = 8d6 for 1 hit and a glitch. FUN

Aural perception: Listening for baddies
Intuition(3) + Perception(3) + Audio Enhancement(3) = 9d6 for 3 hits.

Ultrasound perception: Listening/looking for ultrasonic baddies on passive mode
Intuition(3) + Perception(3) + = 6d6 for no hits.

Clearly, he is still distracted by Ms. Tangent's blonde mane of hair, which I can only assume looks like Cheetara's.
Seth
I don't think they wanna talk. The clue is in the rocket that is coming towards us.

Question for you: what is a "rice rocket". Mr Google wasn't too helpful, and I've not heard the phrase before.
Seth
@JxJxA
Miss Tangents hair is much nicer. YMMV

It would take a Ninja with "hide in plain site" to be hidden in here. And you won't be seeing them with that roll! You doubt it though...Mr Allenby doesn't look the type. In fact he looks very fat, very cross, big red nose, regularly imbibes alcohol and smokes a lot.

You are exactly correct about his sense of taste.

Aria
QUOTE (Seth @ Jul 25 2011, 05:04 PM) *
I don't think they wanna talk. The clue is in the rocket that is coming towards us.

Question for you: what is a "rice rocket". Mr Google wasn't too helpful, and I've not heard the phrase before.

It's a light racing bike like a Yamaha Rapier - no it's not the kind that blow up on impact!
Seth
Phew

OK I was thinking somesort of anti-vehicle drone... Feeling a lot happier now.

Unfortunately there are a load of pedestrians around so I won't be getting my BFG out just yet.
sabs
Rice Rocket is american slang for Japanese/Chinese/Korean motorcycles, though primarily Japanese.
The 'racing' bikes are slanged as "Crotch Rockets' because of the way you sit on them. American style bikes are usually refered to as Hogs.
'Rice' is a very PC American Slang for 'of Asian origin'

smile.gif
galenbd
Yokinko Capture Wireless Signal
Reference: Core p.229
Skill: Agent 4
Utility: Sniffer 3
Threshold: 3

3 successes

Galen
galenbd
Jamie Initiative

1 success

Looks like I'm at 11 with 2 IP.

Yokinko Initiative

Holy Cats! 6 successes

It's at 15 with 3 IP.

Galen
Seth
So exciting. Car chases pistol waving maniacs (thats me and Jamie). Knight Errant Drones watching. Kidnapped children and even a bit of Mills and Boon romance...this story has everything.

Mind you I so don't want to be in a shoot out with Knight Errant watching...that's not how you get Brownie Points as a Made Man. Ah well. I'd like to explore some options before taking drastic action if that's OK:
  • Can I get a better understanding of time and space:
  • Roughly how long before those bikes get to us?
  • Are there any driving options for taking the car onto the pavement? It is a jackrabbit, so its much smaller than most American cars....
  • I would quite like to hack one of the cars close to us, control it, and get it to accelerate into one of the bikes. Is that likely to be physically possible?
  • Is there a chance of hacking into that drone and using to attack the bikes (i.e. does it have a weapon, or would a ram attack work?)

Initiative 18
galenbd
QUOTE (Seth @ Jul 25 2011, 05:34 PM) *
[*]I would quite like to hack one of the cars close to us, control it, and get it to accelerate into one of the bikes. Is that likely to be physically possible?
[*]Is there a chance of hacking into that drone and using to attack the bikes (i.e. does it have a weapon, or would a ram attack work?)
[/list]

Hey, I was already working on one of the bikes.

You sure you want to involve civilians in this?

I'm not too keen about trying the security on the Lone Star drone, especially in AR.

Good luck.

Galen
JxJxA
LOL, I just read "mane" in the IC post and figured it was some kind of throwback '80s power rock style. As for the office's decoration, unless it was French, Demon was bound to be unimpressed. nyahnyah.gif
Seth
  • Hey, I was already working on one of the bikes.
  • You sure you want to involve civilians in this?
  • I'm not too keen about trying the security on the Lone Star drone, especially in AR.

I'm thinking civilian cars much easier target than the bikes (the bikes will be hidden probably so take time to find them...but you never know). I don't really want to involve the civilians but I am quite worried about out position. As far as the drone goes, I mostly wanted options and info.
JxJxA
So...I'm thinking about quick-drawing and shooting Mr. Cigar in the kneecaps...everybody okay with this?

After all, the problem of a 5 minute response time is that it leaves the victims with five whole minutes to endure an onslaught of pain and suffering. nyahnyah.gif
Aria
QUOTE (JxJxA @ Jul 26 2011, 12:08 PM) *
So...I'm thinking about quick-drawing and shooting Mr. Cigar in the kneecaps...everybody okay with this?

After all, the problem of a 5 minute response time is that it leaves the victims with five whole minutes to endure an onslaught of pain and suffering. nyahnyah.gif

I think I'd rather you didn't smile.gif

Will try and get an IC response together this afternoon...
Notsoevildm
@JxJxa, Aria: The same thought had crossed my mind. He truly is a nasty piece of work - good writing Seth! I'll let Ember set the tone, as indicated in Copperhead's last post.
JxJxA
Yeah, same here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012