Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2072 [+4 Months]
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78
JxJxA
This is why I don't think I could ever play a tech char in Shadowrun. That is really confusing... ?_?;;;
Seth
I think its ok with handwavium: roll some die if it goes well compared to your level and the bad guys level you succeed. If you don't you fail. A few worked examples would help as well. Actually I am enjoying the learning experience, and I'll see if I can make some simplified flowcharts.
Aria
QUOTE (Seth @ Aug 20 2011, 11:39 AM) *
I think its ok with handwavium: roll some die if it goes well compared to your level and the bad guys level you succeed. If you don't you fail. A few worked examples would help as well. Actually I am enjoying the learning experience, and I'll see if I can make some simplified flowcharts.

I'd go along with this...it is complicated and I'm only just learning all this too so bear with me smile.gif

Simply put, drones shouldn't be that easy to hack otherwise nobody would use them! In this case you are both about comparable with the rigger running the drone, and there are two of you so with attacks from all angles I might be mean and say he's jumped in...this ends all the confusion at this point as there's nothing you can do ork.gif

Of course this is a little 'rail roady' so perhaps I'll let you have your nefarious way with the drone...hmmm, will have to consider carefully, that's 75K+ of hardware that is gunning for you!

Sorry for slowness will try and pick this up again next week (work permitting... frown.gif)
Seth
Personally I prefer drones to be hackable. If drones were not hackable there would be no point for runners. Why send in a street samurai when you can send in a doberman? Answer because the doberman is easy to hack.
Aria
QUOTE (Seth @ Aug 20 2011, 01:53 PM) *
Personally I prefer drones to be hackable. If drones were not hackable there would be no point for runners. Why send in a street samurai when you can send in a doberman? Answer because the doberman is easy to hack.

I take your point...although there's more to running than pointing a gun smile.gif

I think I will rule (for now) that between you and Galen you've accessed the drone's node...of course as soon as it does something untoward the rigger is likely to know...he may even be sitting in the van no more than 20m away...and then you'll have some cyber combat on your hands smile.gif

...and we get a whole load of new rules to re read biggrin.gif
Xarin
Yay, my internet's back! It's bad when the ISP has to change thier normal automated tech support phone recording from: "hi, thanks for calling. Where are you and what's wrong?" ... to: "Many of our customers are totally screwed right now, we know, please stop telling us, we're working on it". Well, maybe not those exact words.

QUOTE (Seth @ Aug 20 2011, 06:53 AM) *

Most drones are also less adaptable, barring direct remote control or jumping in, which a rigger can only do to one at a time. But, most hackers are not nearly as good as a dedicated runner hacker. Drones are also much cheaper to replace then a normal person that works for you as the people tend to have things like rights and benefits (often including death benefits for sammy-types in corps).

Anyhoo, IC post incoming smile.gif
Alyena
Doza is wondering if she can hack the drone? .... into little pieces with her Ingram.
Xarin
QUOTE (Alyena @ Aug 21 2011, 03:26 AM) *
Doza is wondering if she can hack the drone? .... into little pieces with her Ingram.

That could be hard to do, hacking into pieces.... How do you feel about swiss cheese? smile.gif
AppliedCheese
Dealer

Not as elegant as a nifty excel sheet, but sometimes brute force works better. Work in progress.

[ Spoiler ]
Aria
Hi Applied Cheese! Your sheet is a little difficult to read, any chance of clearing some of the extraneous info out? Any ideas which plotlines you'd like in on? There are two main ones at the moment, mine and Seth's. Both different, both chaotic smile.gif

@Doza et al. will try and sort out your plotline tomorrow, sorry for the wait!
Aria
Thanks for moving us on Seth! I'll catch up with your part of the thread today...promiss (ish) nyahnyah.gif
AppliedCheese
I'm afraid that due to network restrictions I can't host the file anywhere. If you know how to insert an excel file onto the boards, or have an e-mail you'd like me to send to, it would be appreciated.
Seth
@Aria/Jotamon
Firstly: hope work is going well. Personally I find it hard to GM when work is going crazy: I find being tired kills creativity.

Just so that we are in sync: Doza and I are waiting for you to tell us what is happening. If you want we'll do another post. Doza would like to know if the drone needs to be shot again (I hope so because I want to use the drone to shoot the Van, but there you go).

@Aria/Copperhead/Pixel/Demon
I moved you all into the Drunken Drone, and you have met Hansai Jones. You can read Pixel's brief above for details about him, and I hope the plot is now clearer rather than thicker. Jonathan Teague is of course the man who hired Ember initially. So either Mr Teague was lying or Hansai Jones was lying. You can try and do a suitable "sense motives roll" if you want.

I'm anticipating that you throw a few questions at him, then I will move the story on again. Don't leave the bar IC just yet...(mu ha ha...evil plots brewing).
Aria
QUOTE (AppliedCheese @ Aug 22 2011, 09:16 AM) *
I'm afraid that due to network restrictions I can't host the file anywhere. If you know how to insert an excel file onto the boards, or have an e-mail you'd like me to send to, it would be appreciated.

I tend to copy and paste the excel file straight to the boards (and then tidy it up manually as there tends to be stuff that looks strange) but I guess it depends what format it's in there (I use my own). Does DK's character creater <<here>> not export to a text file?
Aria
QUOTE (Seth @ Aug 22 2011, 09:21 AM) *
@Aria/Jotamon
Firstly: hope work is going well. Personally I find it hard to GM when work is going crazy: I find being tired kills creativity.

Just so that we are in sync: Doza and I are waiting for you to tell us what is happening. If you want we'll do another post. Doza would like to know if the drone needs to be shot again (I hope so because I want to use the drone to shoot the Van, but there you go).

What ammo type is Doza using? Assuming its conventional rounds then sadly I have to report they are bouncing off (I haven't rolled any dodge or anything yet but I will do so if you're using funky rounds?!?).

I'll try and get this IC and Jotamon's redirect to the rigger's master node ork.gif

I'm assuming Jamie is trying for a subtler approach and is tracing the signal back to source so that she can spoof it...
Seth
COol: I'll redo my spoofing post to be in line with yours...so don't worry about continuity.
JxJxA
LOL, fair dues. Let me just post a quick inventory update...

[ Spoiler ]

And...I'd like to pick up some APDS rounds if that's okay... biggrin.gif
galenbd
QUOTE (Aria @ Aug 22 2011, 07:43 AM) *
I'm assuming Jamie is trying for a subtler approach and is tracing the signal back to source so that she can spoof it...

When I was told I couldn't hack it, that was my intention. I had intended to brute force hack it originally. If you want to redirect me so I'm going into the master node, I'm fine with that.
Seth
I'd like to pick up some APDS rounds

I don't fully understand how the equipment rules in 2072 are working. APDS is 16F availability. Aria can you answer this?

(Personally I am happy if you want to load up with cop killer ammo...the cops are expecting it...)
JxJxA
Yeah, that's why I'm asking. If it's being used against me, I'd like to be using it, too. nyahnyah.gif
Xarin
QUOTE (Seth @ Aug 22 2011, 07:32 AM) *
I don't fully understand how the equipment rules in 2072 are working. APDS is 16F availability. Aria can you answer this?

(Personally I am happy if you want to load up with cop killer ammo...the cops are expecting it...)

I thought I'd read that anything Availability 12 and under was basically a gimmie. Anything over that was GM approval.

Also, I guess Hansai didn't take Pixel up on the offer to cart Plum in with him instead.
Notsoevildm
@Seth
Copperhead has lousy perception and no idea what astral defences there might be in place, but she might at least be able to tell if he's on the level.

Intuition 3 + Assensing 2 = 5d6.hits(5)=3 - I'm assuming she recovered from her 1S stun on the drive over but result is the same even if you knock the last one off for her headache.
Seth
@Xarin
I misread you: I thought plum would be a combat bot, and the combat bots are all deployed in carefully concealed locations.
Hansai is happy with Barney anyway. Put a ribbon around it, and it can be carried anywhere.

@Notsoevil
Your assensing show you an inhuman control of his aura. This is a man who has Zen master coming out of his ears. You have seen this sort of stuff before in the very scary physical adept/martial arts masters. He is clearly awakened. You don't detect any cyberware.
His katana is a foci: with 3 successes you think it is a dual focus (power + weapon you suspect).
He is wearing a ring that looks to you to be some kind of foci that sustains a spell.

@JxJxA
I think at the moment you cannot approach any contact with a loyalty of less than 4. And 4 might be pushing it depending on the person. If you have a suitable contact you can buy the ammo. Your other option is to go and ask Molly. You think that this is just the sort of place where you could buy some illegal stuff.
Aria
Ok, hopefully I've moved on the Doza, Jamie and Jotamon thread without stepping on your toes too badly...

I'm assuming Doza is shooting, Jamie spoofing and Jotamon trying a hack...yes we can go back and edit if you like...I'm hoping that you are happy with the info I've given you though!

To everyone:

Ok, so the issue of gear etc has raised its head again so let’s quantify it now.

My take on it is:
  • Starting characters are restricted to avail 12 (unless they have a restricted gear quality)
  • During the game any gear can be acquired up to avail 12 either retroactively or with an in-game note
  • Gear up to avail 20 can be acquired in-game without any roll but you need the contacts who could reasonably acquire it for you or some other justification. You can negotiate with your GM when it turns up…
  • Over avail 20 needs more justification, contacts and roleplaying and possibly a dice roll…it should be possible but might take a little longer.
  • Bear in mind legality ratings when you’re getting hold of stuff…APDS doesn’t just appear in Gun World for example…

I’m happy to discuss this though if anyone has other ideas?
Seth
@Aria
Those sound a good set of ground rules. So in the Ember game, I'm saying availability >12 is temporarily banned unless you have a suitable contact. I'm also saying that right were you are is a good place to try and get any amount of illegal stuff: just do it IC
Seth
@Applied Cheese
With some handwavium I can add you to the team quite quickly. Aria can probably also.
AppliedCheese
It looks like Aria is in the middle of an ongoing firefight. Might be better for Dealer to start on a fresh case...though he probably wouldn't be caught dead associating with that much heat on a team unless he had a really good reason. Well, screw it, lets do it. I'm sure someone else is interested in Mr. Teague.
Aria
QUOTE (AppliedCheese @ Aug 22 2011, 09:00 PM) *
It looks like Aria is in the middle of an ongoing firefight. Might be better for Dealer to start on a fresh case...though he probably wouldn't be caught dead associating with that much heat on a team unless he had a really good reason. Well, screw it, lets do it. I'm sure someone else is interested in Mr. Teague.

Wince as Seth ramps the threat level up again smile.gif
Seth
Actually I am running a bought scenario. I've changed a few bits: you throwing away the commlinks was suprisingly effective and saved you from 2 separate ambushes. I'm keeping the threat level pretty much as recommended.
Xarin
QUOTE (Seth @ Aug 22 2011, 10:23 AM) *
@Xarin
I misread you: I thought plum would be a combat bot, and the combat bots are all deployed in carefully concealed locations.
Hansai is happy with Barney anyway. Put a ribbon around it, and it can be carried anywhere.

No problem. Really, Plum is just a software-enhanced basic toy anyway (at least until Pixel pours some more funds into her). For refference, This is Plum.

Alpha (the doberman) and Eddie (the LEBD-1) are the only combat drones (until I give Jeeves a combat autosoft and a rifle anyway).

I imagine Pepe (the flyspy) is lurking about as well. And Beanie (the van) is parked outside amidst the throngs of other vehicles carrying Jeeves, Plum, and Marvin (the rotodrone relay).

Speaking of relays, the thought occured to me earlier today... what is the point of a Retrans unit? Matrix structure auto-routes through any node, so if a drone already has a high Signal, it acts as a relay point regardless (since it's still a matrix device and functions as a node). So what does Retrans buy you? The only thing I can see is you pay an extra 1k and can get it at a lower availability then flat Signal 6, but it uses up mod slots in the process.
galenbd
Jamie Command Drone

3 successes
JxJxA
I've got a fixer at C4/L4, but if this is the place to be for illegal stuff then I might as well do it in-game. smile.gif

Also, apologies on not fleshing out my contacts. I keep forgetting to do it, but I'll get it done in the next few days if work allows.
Seth
@Xarin
Speaking of relays, the thought occured to me earlier today... what is the point of a Retrans unit? Matrix structure auto-routes through any node, so if a drone already has a high Signal, it acts as a relay point regardless (since it's still a matrix device and functions as a node). So what does Retrans buy you? The only thing I can see is you pay an extra 1k and can get it at a lower availability then flat Signal 6, but it uses up mod slots in the process.

I have no idea...I'd ask on the main forum. Getting it 1K cheaper sounds like it makes a difference.

Are you happy to offer the Van as wheels for the group or do you want to keep the van as your vehicle. The reason I ask is getting around now is challenging...so it matters how they move around. Your van would be helpful, but they are at IllegalVehicleBlackMarket.com.

Can you make me 10 Electronic Warfare + Scan rolls, and 10 Perception + Intuition rolls?

@Ember,Copperhead
Can you make me 10 intuition+assensing, and 10 perception + intuition rolls

@Demon
Can you make me 10 perception + intuition rolls?

JxJxA
Are they looking/listening tests perception tests? I have some cyberware that changes my dice pool depending on the test. nyahnyah.gif
Seth
@Aria/Jotamon
Just checking Jotamon's status. I think from the IC description I have a user account and I am stealthing in some serious military groups operation room. Well I am not a good enough hacker to stay here, so I will get the access ID of the master for future spoofing attempts (I am not sure that's the correct language), and pull back into cold sim.

I don't know if the following is possible: but it sounds fun. Can I
  • jump into the drone
  • log off the current users(the drone is slaved so I think I have admin priviledges on the drone)
  • stop the drone accepting any new users (i.e. they would have to hack it)
  • go shoot the incoming helicopter

The funny thing about all of this is that Jotamon and Jamie don't yet know that each other is doing hacking. I'm working it into the conversation so that we can help each other.

So here are a few Hacking + Stealth rolls 4, 3, 2, 4, 2, 2, 5, 4, 4, 4 to cover me while I work out what to do!
Aria
Ember:

Intuition + Perception & Intuition + Assensing are both 8D for Ember so I've rolled them together:

10: 2, 5, 0, 1, 4, 5, 2, 2, 3, 1

10: 3, 4, 4, 3, 3, 5, 0, 5, 2, 3

I need to reread Hansai's brief but I've lost track of what his partner has to do with all this...didn't he say he was in accounts?!?
Seth
I'll just do a quick recap on Hansai and Edgar, and the story so far:

The basic story with Hansai and Edgar is that the two of them are in the department to stop High Value Fraud. Hansai is a physical adept accountant, while Edgar was cybered up within 0.01 essence of his life (he actually had wired reflexes 3, and some other stuff). Edgar was actually staking out Allanby's: he was on the building opposite, and watched you go in. He was killed during the stakeout, while you were in Allanby's place. Both of them are/were you think about as capable as a starting runner. (Starting runners are pretty damn capable).

According to the media Ember, Copperhead, Demon are all accused of killing Edgar.

Hansai is taking Edgar's death personally. For a Zen adept he is pretty shook up, and is perhaps not quite as logical thinking as he should be. Instead of the forced 2 weeks compassionate leave after the death of a partner, he has gone a bit AWOL and is hunting for the killer himself. Without doubt the smart move on his part was to turn you lot in: lots of kudos. However he believes (and he is a master of Knight Errant Beaurocracy what with his adept buffs and everything) that should that happen the case would be closed. The media are hot on this story, and demand action now. You three being shot while attempting to escape would satisfy the media, and as you are all cop-killers it sends a nice message to other crooks.

Ember's wife (according to Teague) was recruited by Allanby. According to Hansai, Ember's wife was working for Edgar. One of them is lying...unless she was working for both smile.gif

Pixel was hired by Hansai and Edgar earlier to hack some dodgy accounts. She is still in mid employment, and has come up with some stuff.

Molly is obviously a good friend of Hansai. She is obviously a fixer who runs a rigger / smuggler dive, which also serves lots of normal truckers. You suspect Hansai selected this place to meet you because it is seriously well defended vs mundane / electronic / vehicle stuff, and he also likes Molly.

Jonathan Teague is the gentleman who sent Ember to meet Allanby (setting up for later). According to Hansai's theory, he also used beaurocractic skills to set FireWatch (that's what you do to cop killers) on Copperhead/Demon/Ember, while simultaneously sending a group of gangers to deal with Dr Bob. Teague's plan was quite a good one, except for two pieces of bad luck on his part. Firstly, Hansai had gone to visit Dr Bob: He spotted Ember, and recognized him from the file on Ember's wife. Secondly the hotel you randomly picked was occupied by a clandestine meeting between a famous Toxic Terrorist, and some salesmen. Copperhead's detect enemy went off, and FireWatch realised they had been made. Since they felt they had overwhelming force they moved before they were quite ready. So from Mr Teague's point of view (assuming Hansai is correct) things are not going well. Dr Bob has seriously increased security and the patsy's that were going to close off the investigation refused to die!

@Demon
Sorry Molly didn't think you were up to it. This was my handwavium to get Dealer in the story. She did start of thinking Hansai needed "two of the boys..." so obviously she rates you a bit.
JxJxA
@Seth

LOL, no worries and I know where you were going. nyahnyah.gif I'm trying to play an incorrigible, horn-dog of a Frenchman. biggrin.gif
JxJxA
Also, Perception rolls!
Intuition(3) + Perception(3) + Cybereyes Vis Enh(2) = 8d6 for 3, 4, 3, 1, 5, 5, 2, 3, 3, 0 hits. Fortunately, no glitches. I guess hunger has made Demon a tad more perceptive. nyahnyah.gif

I'm also rocking the braggart flaw, so just let me know when I should make any composure rolls. smile.gif
Notsoevildm
QUOTE (JxJxA @ Aug 23 2011, 10:51 AM) *
@Seth

LOL, no worries and I know where you were going. nyahnyah.gif I'm trying to play an incorrigible, horn-dog of a Frenchman. biggrin.gif

And doing a damn fine job of it!
JxJxA
QUOTE (Notsoevildm @ Aug 23 2011, 06:52 PM) *
And doing a damn fine job of it!

Thanks! biggrin.gif
Aria
@Seth, Galen & Alyena

I’m playing a little fast and loose with combat time for the next couple of posts so that actions are a bit smoother and we can get you the hell out of dodge smile.gif

Jamie’s spoof will technically happen a little after Jotamon’s hack now (I think) but we’ll link them up in the timeline. Jamie, the drone has 2 weapons so I anticipate that you can only spoof it one at a time…I suggest you dump the high calibre rounds from the sniper rifle although the minigun is an option ork.gif …whatever you do the rigger in control will notice something’s up!

Jotamon has a user account for the commlink of the rigger (who is in the node so a stealth roll please!) and can now do nefarious things there…let’s say that the logon + changing SIM mode + looking at the vid screens and communicating back have taken you in line with Jamie’s spoof to drop ammo. A user account will let you do ‘normal’ commands on the drone but not things like unsubscribing people and other unusual activities. If you want to you can try for a higher grade of access now you’re here (at the risk of being spotted of course!)

Doza…you can have a free ten seconds or so to do whatever you like…oh and the van has revved its engine and might be trying to advance on you (overconfidence in his armour perhaps?!? smile.gif) …the interesting thing is that the unmanned vehicles are getting out of the way (those that aren’t on fire anyway) as some sort of gridguide command kicks in.

___

Seth, just so you don’t get any nasty GM ideas about nobbling Ember’s family again I will use my last bound spirit service (water spirit called Sirene) to protect them, with a watcher to alert me if there’s an attack. Not sure how long remote service lasts – I guess a year and a day is too much to hope for nyahnyah.gif but I’ll make sure I can renew the protection when it ends

…don’t think Ember will be going to work in the morning…will have to make my excuses to the faculty nyahnyah.gif
Aria
Pixel and Dealer character sheet links added to the character list in post 2...
galenbd
While I've refined my action, I still have spent it, so I'm waiting for the current Initiative Pass to end.
Seth
Seth, just so you don’t get any nasty GM ideas about nobbling Ember’s family again

Dr Bob is sorting that outTM. He is very experienced in events like this, and you feel that he has the situation under control. (hint: keep your spirit you might need it).

@Aria
I already posted a stealth: 4 successes.
If I am not spotted I want to wait until either the drone is about to attack, or the helicopter comes into the drones attack range.
Then I would like to "jump into" the drone, and either smash it into the ground, or even better, the incoming helicopter.

A few questions for you:
  • Do I have enough data to be able to spoof the drone later? (if not what do I do)
  • Can I tell how far away the helicopter is?
  • Is the helicopter being slaved as well, or does it have a manual rigger?
  • Is the black van being slaved as well, or does it have a manual rigger?
  • How many troops in the helicopter?
  • What sort of hideous weapons do they have?

I'm pleased I got this far!
Xarin
Invisible castle's wigging out on me right now. I'll post up rolls and IC after work tonight. As well as infiltrate for Pixel playing sneaky on the lightpost.
Notsoevildm
@Seth

Here's a shopping list for Copperhead. I'm assuming that Molly doesn't have any magic equipment in house. Let me know if anything is a no-go (like form-fitting because it needs to be custom tailored or SnS because it is overpowered). I'm listing base prices but would want troll modded items so you can add 10%-25% on top depending on how mean you are feeling and taking into account the fact that Copperhead can't negotiate for shit.

Armor
Form-fitting half suit 4/1 with non-conductivity 3, 1500 yen
Urban camo suit 8/6 with non-conduct./fire and chem resist 4, 3000 yen

Firearms
Enfield AS-7 with some drums/clips, 1100 yen
or
Franchi SPAS-22 with a few clips, 1250 yen
Normal, gel, explosive and if possible some APDS and SnS ammo for above

Other
Flashbang/smoke grenades, 30 yen each
Flashpacks, 200 yen each
Respirator (rating 6), 150 yen
A few doses of Cram, 10 yen per hit (for emergency use only)
A few stim patches (R4, 100 yen each, assuming these no longer have potentially adverse effects on one's magic rating as they did in previous editions)
Seth
Cool thing about 2072 is the 3D printers. It takes about 10 minutes to make you that form fitting armor.
SnS is so broken I cannot begin to tell you. so if you don't mind, don't use it. (Even I: mini-maxer extraordinaire cannot bring myself to us it, it's that broken I am embarrassed to use it). I regard Emoti-toys / empathy software in the same category: if you don't use them I won't use them.

Molly isn't into magic in a big way. She has wards (around force 6 the mages think) in the walls of the building, but those are cheap and readily available. There do not seem to be any spirits on patrol here

Molly is charging 50% over going rates....however she offers up to 16F availability, so APDS for example is available. You can bargain her down (10% per negotiation success, down to a min of 90% list price).

I'll IC heading round back to the buying / selling area tomorrow evening, giving people an opportunity to ask any questions of everyone.

@Dealer,
Molly has the dirt on you. (a cheap plot device to get you into the group). If you don't rat the group out, you get the dirt back. In addition you are being paid the standard 2072 wages. Your fixer says "don't be fooled by the exterior: she can be very very nasty".
AppliedCheese
Anyone that has that much paranoia about mages is a step in the right direction in Dealer's book.

On a more practical note: SnS. I hate it, but didn't know it was out of play. If it is, I am personally very glad, and would like to trade out my 90 current SnS for 90 APDS. its a net loss nuyen wise, but we'll chalk the difference up to availability?

In addittion, Dealer is beginning to suspect this might be a run where hardening up old faithful might be a good idea:

Secure tech vitals to be worn inside the chameleon suit, with nonconductivity (2) = 900 at Molly price
Secure tech arm and leg to worn inside the chameleon suit, with nonconductivity (2) = 1125 at Molly price

32x addittional rounds of APDS = 332 :nuyen.gif: under Molly's prices.

What with them having a history and all, can he safely assume anything he doesn't take with him out of the gym bag of goodies can be left reasonably secure with Molly? He seems to know her, and she trusts him enough to give the Hansai tip off...even if its just for self preservation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012