Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2072 [+4 Months]
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78
Aria
QUOTE (ChromeZephyr @ Sep 23 2013, 04:26 PM) *
I'm glad I'm playing a fairly slow-witted character in this game, because I'm completely flummoxed about what to do in this scenario. Working on an IC post, I'll just gloss over Scrap's normal response to a voice out of the dark with a handgun trained on him would be. smile.gif

I'll be honest, I hadn't anticipated you charging the APCs like you did the gangers road rage vehicle biggrin.gif so that's ok! But it's not out of the realms of possibility for the PCs to suicide themselves against HMG fire and I don't want you to feel railroaded (GM Sin!!!), just there are some things that the PCs should think really carefully about doing...I haven't managed to IC it yet but the gangers are drawing away from the perimeter back towards the hole in the mall, there should be plenty of rich pickings in a few moments!
ChromeZephyr
QUOTE (Aria @ Sep 23 2013, 10:44 AM) *
I'll be honest, I hadn't anticipated you charging the APCs like you did the gangers road rage vehicle biggrin.gif so that's ok! But it's not out of the realms of possibility for the PCs to suicide themselves against HMG fire and I don't want you to feel railroaded (GM Sin!!!), just there are some things that the PCs should think really carefully about doing...I haven't managed to IC it yet but the gangers are drawing away from the perimeter back towards the hole in the mall, there should be plenty of rich pickings in a few moments!

Yeah, Scrap may not be the brightest bulb in the box but he's seen enough trid of what happens when meat charges readied heavy weapons to know that frontal assault isn't the way to go.

Killing gangers, on the other hand, is something he's getting quite handy at.
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (Aria @ Sep 23 2013, 05:58 AM) *
Timings, the eta of soldier boys to the APCs is around 2 mins, not enough time (i don't think) to locate the sewer entrances, trudge 100m or so through sewage and then spring Jazz from underneath. Don't forget that as a TM she doesn't need a commlink to talk to you (I'm pretty sure you can 'call' her?!?)...and she's out of the jamming now.
2 minutes? Why that should be LOTS of time smile.gif Veto if you do not want to us to try this way, but ...

120 seconds is 40 combat turns, standard walking movement rate of 10 meters/turn is 400 meters. Running is 25 meters/turn, but caution and environment probably do not allow much of that. Slowed to start while getting to entrance, then speed up once out of sight. Sprogget's mechanic toolkits (automotive, industrial) should contain something to use to improvise a handle to open the first from the top. I would expect more than 100 meters distance, since probably need to get a little past the APC position. If those gangers are pulling back though, might be able to move faster while still above ground.

That UWBR scan of the APC's should have recorded entrances. And it WAS recorded, since the initial look was just a quick snapshot, then get out of sight again. The covers would not be enough barrier to block signal, so each entrance will show as a nice covered vertical shaft, getting fuzzy further down as the earth becomes enough barrier to block signal. That will be within 100 meters of Banjo's location. Which will be our side of the APCs, to the right from my previous diagram. Might not be enough to see the entrance we want to use for Jazz (borderline case), but could be enough to see a pattern, to know where that one should be. Simple distance estimate on standard map overlay, which could probably be verified once know where to look.

LeO using blind fire with the pepper punch, to move the line of march a bit, to get Jazz as close as possible to the grating. Then suppressive fire SR4A154 (after moving some, and Jazz 'stumbles'), while opening and dragging her inside. Then more suppressive to keep them away until she is clear.

A 'detail' that is important here, is the distance from the hole in the wall to the grating, and the (nearest) APC. And any obvious path that will be used to get there.

I was aware of the chance to call Jazz, but was unsure of a couple details. Many TM's use a physical commlink, and I am assuming that is where previous comm calls were going, since Sprogget was not aware until recently that she WAS a TM. To call direct will need an access ID, which for a TM is automatically hidden mode. He will have to locate that hidden node before he can talk to her. Since that is going to take at least a little time, want to make sure that other needed activities are started first. Cooperation is only needed near the end. There will be time for a few attempts to get the needed threshold. Even time to do a scan for all hidden nodes in range. Jazz personal bionode signal range will depend on Resonance / 2, which for Sprogget is 2, giving direct (not using drones for mesh and booster) range of only 100 meters. If Jazz has Resonance 5, that would increase to 400 meters. Currently G'Eye is plenty close enough, if Sprogget can route through there. The RFID tag controls added for the wireless on the drone do not have ECCM, so that needed to get an open spot to turn things back on, but once enabled, G'Eye has good ECCM, so some blocking can be ignored.

Sprogget would 'prefer' to use Banjo to hunt for Jazz's hidden node, using G'Eye to tell where to look. That radio signal scanner(6) is better than any sniffer CF he is going to be able to thread, and Banjo has the Electronic Warfare autosoft to use it effectively (10 dice pool, should be able to get threshold 4 in a few attempts). If Banjo can see (with the signal scanner) through the (damaged) mall blocking, to get to Jazz. Once the node is found, Sprogget can do matrix perception himself, to get the ID, and use G'Eye as a base to talk to Jazz. Sprogget's personal range is not a factor, since he can mesh through the skinlinked wireless adapter(5).

QUOTE (Aria @ Sep 23 2013, 05:58 AM) *
No, the soldiers might have respirators (it's the barrens after all and there's all this ash crap floating about) but not full chem gear.
Ok, a gas grenade attack could get them to move the right way then, the dice gods and GM willing.

If Sprogget is going to 'general' the attempt, he would get Scrapheap moving first, with the tools needed. Something to open a grating from above, and at least a pair of cutters to get the restraints off of Jazz. Flashlight if someone has it, preferably low light or thermographic. Then very quick summary outline to all before getting Banjo hunting for the node. While waiting for that, expand details to the others, finding out what they can/are willing to do to support. He would go himself, but can't really do the other things needed while hurrying to get through the sewer. Plus he knows that Scrapheap is better at the initial infiltration. Plus <grin> he knows that as a tech scavenger, he is not likely to be too worried about the muck in the sewer. The others he does not know well enough to know what their appropriate skills might be, or if they would quickly enough accept 'orders', when there is no time to talk. Besides, those chameleon suits are more advantage above ground.

When locate Jazz, proceed cautiously. In VR there will be some time. Look around closely, to make sure she does not also have a matrix side guard/monitor. May need to wait until last second, then blast a quick message. Something like, "Get down grandma, grating left" should tell her everything she needs to know.

Unless he has a specific alternate idea, get Gemeaux to place the repeater anyway, explaining that with the built-in blocking for the mall, their normal communications might still be blocked without it. Not right on top of us though, in case it attracts attention when it is activated. Other than that, it looks like getting to sniper positions for supporting. If timing allows, alternate fire, so can move after firing, while another takes the next shot. LeO has enough ammo to suppress for only 3 passes, after taking down the previous gangers, the drone, and deliberately missing the final ganger a couple of times. 20 round bursts eat ammo fast smile.gif Another 15 rounds for more targeted efforts. Firing pattern will have to depend on what they do with the first burst. Sprogget will take direction from those more familiar with weapons fire. Maybe the first fire should be a long burst, spread as 4 short burst across 4 targets, if they are close enough together to do that, then suppress on the 2nd pass. Suppressive fire covers 10 meter width. Cone really, but at that range, not much difference. Got a little time to 'discuss' the options while scrapheap is making like a sewer rat.

Is the main rescue scenario something Sprogget thinks is 'possible', if people start moving 'right F**n now'? That is getting into position to try. The rest can all be adjusted on the fly, or even aborted based on new information as it comes in. For aborting, Scrapheap might not know about the abort until he is almost in position. Matrix signal is going to go bad fast underground. IC to cover, if get that far.

Uh ... Did Cam say that Sprogget thinks to much?
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (Aria @ Sep 23 2013, 06:06 AM) *
Cam's an adept with kinesics too! It got nerfed in SR5 but it was the goto power in SR4 biggrin.gif
Then, time permitting, Oyl would use the kinesics to kinesics communication ability to tell him, as forcefully as possible "shut up, don't interfere"

QUOTE (Aria @ Sep 23 2013, 06:06 AM) *
Image is something like this: Russian APC, stats are from Eurowars Antiques: BTR-20 APC
HANDL+0 ACCEL 10/20SPD 100PILOT 0 BODY15 ARM10 SENS 2
Std. Upgrades/Accessories: Amphibious Operation (Level 1), Life Support (Level 1), Network Incompatible, Run Flat Tires, Reinforced Weapon Mount (external, heavy turret, armored manual), Weapon Mount (external, turret, remote). It probably has cameras, movement sensors and maybe an audio mic or two...nothing very good (unless it has been upgraded...)

You can get the stats from it's AROs probably...given time youc could even trace the Metroplex Guard depot it came from...the intact AROs imply they've been borrowed, or perhaps it's an elaborate misdirection? ork.gif
The link is showing a BTR-80, but I get the .. picture ..
I don't have Eurowars Antiques, but the armor rating is enough to base estimates on. See end of post describing plans for targeting the drone, if it was armored.
If the APC is sitting still, it / the driver should not get a defense roll. Just have to soak the damage using body and armor. Called shot target vital +4 SR4A161 brings base DV to 10. A single hit boosts that to 11. Enough that it can not simply be blocked by armor 10. See also call shot on vehicles SR4A171.

Attack would be Pilot(3)+Targeting(4)+Optimization(1)+Tacnet(2)+Take Aim(2)-Called Shot(4), for a pool of 8. Buy 2 hits, assuming no defense when sitting still, and that becomes 12P + 12 for a high velocity narrow full burst. Looking at soaking 24P with body 15 + armour 10. Less than 7 hits on the soak would take it right out! Could potentially increase the attack dice pool, using a sensor test, active targeting SR4A171. Sensor(6)+Clearsight(4)+Tacsoft(2)-visibility modifiers+Signature Modifier for vehicle size SR4A171. Opposed test if trying to evade detection, but parked does not seem to apply. Hits from that add to the attack dice pool. So 8 plus about the hits from 12d6 dice pool for the attack, and if at least one hit, facing 22 + hits damage.

Looks doable, as a fallback, if something says can not rescue Jazz by having her 'drop out' of the middle of the squad. If they are not fairly quick, could take out both APCs in a single combat round, not counting a single combat turn to do the initial lock and take aim. Sensor lock: simple action, 2 simple actions for take aim, complex action on the first APC. Unless can maintain 2 sensor locks at once, do without that or take aim on the second one, buying a single hit from 6 dice for attack, and looking at a straight 23P. Could we get them to explode, and take out the onboard drones? Or get enough damage that they can not launch? Or if do enough damage to the first, it explodes and does damage to the second before even target it? Oh and have the Spined Drakes snuggled close too.

Of course, pending those checks on the AROs to see if can learn about modifications, of course with the consideration that the data might be fake. Especially with Dissonants involved. At least checking the AROs should be a passive check. Just reading what they are publishing, so minimal chance of being noticed in the matrix from just that. Just listening to the radio broadcast here, thank you very much smile.gif

Sprogget is not the blood thirsty one here. He really prefers more peaceful or indirect methods. He just has the right toy, and friends are in danger! It would be a good story to tell the 'kids' some time later. Taking out 2 APCs with a glitched drone, in about 3 seconds smile.gif I already DID roll for that glitch, and the dice were nice to me.

If LeO can do that, he is in for a lot of TLC, to get that glitch fixed, and a nice holo in the Sprogget gallery, even if he is not steampunked.

Anybody else in the group that can do something similar, to get modified DV over 10? Using Ex ammo, with a better starting DV makes it simpler, though that high velocity mod is what really pushes the damage up. A little extra, incase of a good soak roll would be nice though.
JxJxA
Gemeaux is happy to place the repeater. Part of keeping his reputation as a professional is by fulfilling each contract to the letter. How else would he get paid? nyahnyah.gif
Machine Ghost
Oh, should just mention. Sprogget is really liking the idea of taking out an APC or 2, as the distraction to get the squads attention, to get Jazz underground. Instead of the suppressive fire at them. If Jazz can get close enough to the grating, without using the gas grenades. And target the APC with the one lying down first. The assumed dissonant 'on duty'.
Aria
QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ Sep 24 2013, 12:55 AM) *
Oh, should just mention. Sprogget is really liking the idea of taking out an APC or 2, as the distraction to get the squads attention, to get Jazz underground. Instead of the suppressive fire at them. If Jazz can get close enough to the grating, without using the gas grenades. And target the APC with the one lying down first. The assumed dissonant 'on duty'.

Not wanting to rain on the parade but I'm 90% sure there's an sr4 rule that says bf/FA etc don't count when comparing DV against armour. Lots of small bullets that can't penetrate are not going to do anything if 1 can't! So, if you can get 11dv with net hits that's one thing but otherwise... APCs are meant to protect against small arms!
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (Aria @ Sep 24 2013, 07:26 AM) *
Not wanting to rain on the parade but I'm 90% sure there's an sr4 rule that says bf/FA etc don't count when comparing DV against armour. Lots of small bullets that can't penetrate are not going to do anything if 1 can't! So, if you can get 11dv with net hits that's one thing but otherwise... APCs are meant to protect against small arms!
Opps, just noticed that the high velocity mod will add 11 to the damage, not 12. 12 Bullets, but +11 modifier.

True. Which is why the +11 for the burst does not get added until after the DV is greater than the armor. Have to hit first with attack, without the burst modifier. But once you hit with a modified DV greater than the armour rating, the burst modifier gets added in for the actual damage. That was why the careful order of the calculation. Base DV 6P, called shot +4, two actual (net) hits gets to 12, which is enough to get through the armor 10. Then the +11 for high velocity. The modified DV for that armour test is 12, but the damage will be 23P.
Vehicle Damage SR4A170, Narrow Burst SR4A153, High Velocity side bar AR26, Long Burst, Full Burst SR4A154, Called Shots SR4A161 on vehicles SR4A171

Which is why there were so many tiny little pieces of that roto-drone scattered down the street. smile.gif I think that for the drone (with lower armor) Sprogget could have specified a called shot of 'engine' or maybe 'rotors' to take it out of action without totally destroying it. That would have made it potentially salvageable, but the Dissonant TM would not have gotten dumpshocked.

The numbers shown in the previous post for the attack might be a little high. May need to included a visibility modifier in there, as well as the one included in the sensor test. Still enough to buy a hit or two.

The APC would probably protect the occupants from this, because attempting to target passengers would get a blind fire modifier to the attack as well, which might no longer be enough to beat the armor. But this is targeting the APC itself. This is also a bit better than 'small arms fire' smile.gif
Aria
I wrote this as an edit to my post but you've beaten me to it...here it is anyway nyahnyah.gif

EDIT: Ok, re-read your post, sorry, you’ve calculated correctly that you can get DV high enough with the called shot (ouch!). Don’t forget range and visibility mods though, range will be down to you (and I know you’ve got the rangefinder…) visibility is partial darkness with heavy smoke/rain etc…ie pretty crap! That may reduce you to rolling D to hit…

Active targeting might not be a great idea as you’ll light up their instruments like a Christmas tree. Even aiming is a bit risky, better hope they don’t spot you in those precious second or two or those HMGs will mince you!

I don’t know offhand what RAW says about vehicles exploding – I suppose you could cook off the HMG ammo but I don’t think you’ll be able to penetrate enough to get the fuel. It’s more likely that you’ll find a weak spot on the turret and possibly as a consequence fry the electrics. It certainly won’t be enough to damage the other APC. The gangers are heading for the hole in the mall rather than the APCs…

Re the 2 mins…yes, you can cover that above ground really easily…getting below ground (through a rusty grating), along a sewer in hopefully the right direction (Scrap is a big orc) and then back up the other end will not be so easy! You can do it, but it will be one of those film esque ticking clock moments and take some good athletics type rolls!
Machine Ghost
@Aria, E:Tribes,

Some IC up filling in on some of the OOC stuff.  Interleaving posts was fun. No dice rolls done, would you like some?  So far, any of Sprogget's or the drones actions seem easy enough, and not in a big enough rush to worry about.  Even at matrix speed, Sprogget is feeling time pressure, but there should be plenty of time for a few retries.  He just wants everything possible of the plan ready as soon as possible, to give more time to adjust if something changes.  More IC content half preped, but this looks like a good point to let the GM put in any twists desired. Activating the repeater, Mechanicals C&C, Jazz response and information. As usual, there are a lot of assumptions in the post. Can't really be helped, without cutting posting size to a couple of lines, and waiting for GM responses.

Upcoming, getting the drones moving into position, scanning the AROs on the APCs, Oyl ready to throttle someone, Talking to Jazz, if that not glossed over. Besides getting her ready to jump, the plan is to see if she can drag her feet a bit, giving Sprogget a few extra seconds.

Lets see what the visibility modifiers look like.  SR4A136
Partial Light, Heavy Smoke
Low Light 0, -2
Thermographic -2, -2

WIth a little light still around, only -2 on visibility with Low Light.  All of the flying drones, and Sprogget's PAN have both Low Light and thermographic enhancements.  DR does not, but that is OK here.  Regular radar is not affected by those anyway (at least on the charts, OOG, I think flying ash could, as a form of low grade chaff), though currently that is off, since IT could be visible.

Here is what the pools seem to be (correct any bad assumptions)
Sensor(6)+Clearsight(4)+Tacsoft(2)-visibility modifiers(2)+Signature Modifier(1) ==> 11d6
From Signature Table SR4A171, 'guessing' the APC is enough larger than a regular vehicle to get a +1 on the signature.  I do not think it is big enough to get the +3 for oversized vehicles, but it might get a +2.
Pilot(3)+Targeting(4)+Optimization(1)+Tacnet(2)+Take Aim(2)-Called Shot(4)-Visibility(2)+Sensor Lock(?) ==> 8d6 + lock adjustments

If Sprogget (or the local weapons consultants) can figure the effect of the variable conditions and options, with safety considerations about being detected too soon, may deliberately remove some of the bonuses, down to where buying a single hit, but giving less potential notice of the incoming attack.  If the attack even goes this way.  May still need to use the pepper punch to have a chance of getting Jazz loose, which is going mess this all up.
Pilot(3)+Targeting(4)+Optimization(1)+Tacnet(2)-Called Shot(4)-Visibility(2) ==> 4d6
No range modifiers at 150 meters with the improved range finder, and have vision magnification as well. If beyond 150 meters, and magnification does not cancel, then -2 modifier, and would need at least the take aim.
22P has a reasonable chance of taking out an APC with body 15, armor 10.  Needs at least 8 hits on 25 dice to have a single point of body left.  Average should be 7.3 hits.  Odds go up fairly fast with an extra hit or 2.  Decisions.  Still need to scan what the AROs are saying too, and compare some to what the UWBR snapshot shows.

For active sensor targeting, the only thing 'active' from LeO is the laser range finder / improved range finder.  All other sensors are passive optical based.  If they weren't, he could probably ignore the visibility modifier instead, and get about the same place.  Banjo is the one that will really light them up, with the UWBR, as part of the tacsoft bonus.  Active targeting just means actively using the sensor to locate the target, not necessarily painting it with active scanners, which is what Banjo will do. Planned drone details in later posts, after GM twists the current state all out of shape smile.gif

What is the timing looking like, relative to the squad coming out, and the Spined Drakes supposedly going in?  My IC guess would be the other guys plan is for the gangers to go in after most/all of the military is clear.  The military team should want the gangers to stick around as guards until the APCs are rolling.  Maybe hitting the APCs will get them in bad with their employers smile.gif  They were eager, and pulled back too soon, letting us get closer.

What is the size of that squad?  Does it seem like it is enough for both APC's, or is there another (or more) group wandering around?

For Oyl, I just 'had' to pick on Bit.  Little Bit, not bit bucket, computer bit (also small), all on top of drill bit.  I could also go with something with teeth and getting biten.
Aria
Ok, so we’re reasonably sure there’s going to be a dead APC any moment now ork.gif that’s assuming they don’t spot you in the 2 simple actions of ‘take aim’ but the chances are fairly slim. No rolls needed, I’m even glossing over the weather but feel free to describe LeO fighting the wind shear when you write this up IC.

Up to you which of the above ‘rolls’ you want to use, either way it seems like it won’t matter much. I think in order to ‘call shot’ you will have to take a few moments to aim…after all HV bursts from a bobbing drone don’t sound like the most accurate tool in the box without a little extra care. After that you’ll have milliseconds before the other APC decides it doesn’t like being shot at ork.gif

Analysing the APC AROs won’t help much, they don’t list any mods, just that these vehicles came from a Metroplex Guard training facility in Fort Lewis. A later check (if you make one) will reveal they never existed on the Guard database…yeah right!

Timing, you are probably right, mil boys out then gangers in! The squad is about 20 as I said, enough to fit into 2 APCs
JxJxA
Ok, put a post up. Let me know if I should do any infiltration or rolls. ^_^ As for the other enemies and their efficacy, I think Gemeaux would say something like this:

C'est trop d'un ennemi et pas assez de cent amis. (Do not think that one enemy is insignificant, or that a thousand friends are too many)
Machine Ghost
@Aria,

QUOTE (Jazz @ Sep 25 2013, 10:48 AM) *
but we need to protect the well, we can’t let them in here again
Well Sprogget knows NOW about the well. Either just learned, or knew from the backtime submersion prep that is supposed to involve eBreeze. IC worded so Sprogget already knew about it, since not surprised. Vistor access? An extra couple of dice for some actions would help. Especially with the wageslave style tutor building expected. At least until/unless SR5 makes that impossible. Sprogget does have day job, 40 hr/wk as a quality.

Oyl
Assensing Table SR4A191
Assensing(2)+INT(5)+Perceptive Quality(2)+Enhanced Perception power(2)
Assense Spindle's Summoned Spirit, Assense Spindle (11d6.hits(5)=3, 11d6.hits(5)=1)
11d6.hits(5) → [3,1,4,1,1,3,6,2,6,1,5] = (3)
11d6.hits(5) → [4,2,3,4,1,6,3,2,2,1,2] = (1)
Oyl's magic = 5, for comparison to the spirit
FYI, while Oyl is doing any sort of IC activities, she is likely to be making use of perception and assensing a lot. The skills and bonuses started as aids for the medical orientation, but is very appropriate for all of the influence and people related activities too. On top of the kinesics.

Summon force 2 plant spirit (5d6.hits(5)=1, 2d6.hits(5)=0)
5d6.hits(5);2d6.hits(5) → [4,5,1,3,3] = (1)
5d6.hits(5);2d6.hits(5) → [3,2] = (0)
One service, buy 2 hits to resist the drain

Astral Patrol SM126

Future someplace, but Oyl has a proposal for Prospero/Fre∑dom. Merge the living spaces. A hacker tribe does not really have much need to be all together, or separate from others, and physical presence at the well is not needed either. Mixed in with the Mechanicals would make them a harder target, and give Mechanicals even better matrix support. Filling the visible head count could also help disguise that they are (will be) weakened too. Also means Fre∑dom does not need to work so hard at looking deserted. Still need to provide whatever physical security for the node with the well, but only combatants need to do shifts, and can probably add tech security / traps with the help of the Mechanicals.

The mall is close enough, they can probably arrange underground passages, using the sewer / storm systems as a base, so they can keep the visible traffic in and out of the mall to a minimum. Good place to put (multiple / redundant) wired connections to the well too.
Machine Ghost
@JxJxA

FYI, all of the nodes in the tacnet, people and drones, will have an identifying tag, so a handle/street name is associated with each.

@Aria,

The APC is the target, if Jazz can get to the grating without needing the pepper punch grenades to try to move them over.

At least one more posts getting into position, before pulling the trigger, and Jazz or something from the activated repeater could still change plans. Sprogget has not told C&C what he plans yet. He has been very busy, and has been 'forgetting'. He does not want an argument right now wink.gif They have the sensor data about the actual actions being taken, but not the plans. The team 'chatter' is not part of the feed.
ChromeZephyr
Okay, can someone give me a summary of what Scrap is going into the sewer to do? Sorry, MG, but that's so much dense text that I'm getting lost.

Is it: Go through sewer to grate, quietly cut bolts on grate, wait for the APC to get shot up, then grab Jazz in the confusion and go back into the sewer and out? Or did I miss something?

I want to put up an IC post, but I'd rather not go a direction that the plan is against.
Aria
QUOTE (ChromeZephyr @ Sep 26 2013, 04:02 PM) *
Okay, can someone give me a summary of what Scrap is going into the sewer to do? Sorry, MG, but that's so much dense text that I'm getting lost.

Is it: Go through sewer to grate, quietly cut bolts on grate, wait for the APC to get shot up, then grab Jazz in the confusion and go back into the sewer and out? Or did I miss something?

I want to put up an IC post, but I'd rather not go a direction that the plan is against.

Sounds like my understanding of the plan except I think you get Jazz to drop into your lap rather than jump out and drag... That last is likely to get you shot!
ChromeZephyr
Groovy. IC post incoming, then. Any rolls needed from me, Aria? Scrap has his bolt cutters and a low-light flashlight already from about 20 pages ago, so he'll have the tools necessary.
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (Aria @ Sep 26 2013, 09:16 AM) *
Sounds like my understanding of the plan except I think you get Jazz to drop into your lap rather than jump out and drag... That last is likely to get you shot!
About the way I was seeing it. Jazz is not quite the right genre, but "Catch a Falling Star" smile.gif
I don't have a character sheet for Jazz, to learn details of abilities, so she might be wanting to link to your PAN, to use any sensors you have for navigating in the near dark. As a dronomancer (assumed because info says she has the same Paragon as Sprogget), she is likely to have a good sensor package herself. If it was not taken away.
Aria
@Aria,

Well Sprogget knows NOW about the well. Either just learned, or knew from the backtime submersion prep that is supposed to involve eBreeze. IC worded so Sprogget already knew about it, since not surprised. Vistor access? An extra couple of dice for some actions would help. Especially with the wageslave style tutor building expected. At least until/unless SR5 makes that impossible. Sprogget does have day job, 40 hr/wk as a quality.

Oyl
Assensing Table SR4A191
Assensing(2)+INT(5)+Perceptive Quality(2)+Enhanced Perception power(2)
Assense Spindle's Summoned Spirit, Assense Spindle (11d6.hits(5)=3, 11d6.hits(5)=1)
11d6.hits(5) → [3,1,4,1,1,3,6,2,6,1,5] = (3)
11d6.hits(5) → [4,2,3,4,1,6,3,2,2,1,2] = (1)
Oyl's magic = 5, for comparison to the spirit
FYI, while Oyl is doing any sort of IC activities, she is likely to be making use of perception and assensing a lot. The skills and bonuses started as aids for the medical orientation, but is very appropriate for all of the influence and people related activities too. On top of the kinesics.

Summon force 2 plant spirit (5d6.hits(5)=1, 2d6.hits(5)=0)
5d6.hits(5);2d6.hits(5) → [4,5,1,3,3] = (1)
5d6.hits(5);2d6.hits(5) → [3,2] = (0)
One service, buy 2 hits to resist the drain

Astral Patrol SM126

Future someplace, but Oyl has a proposal for Prospero/Fre∑dom. Merge the living spaces. A hacker tribe does not really have much need to be all together, or separate from others, and physical presence at the well is not needed either. Mixed in with the Mechanicals would make them a harder target, and give Mechanicals even better matrix support. Filling the visible head count could also help disguise that they are (will be) weakened too. Also means Fre∑dom does not need to work so hard at looking deserted. Still need to provide whatever physical security for the node with the well, but only combatants need to do shifts, and can probably add tech security / traps with the help of the Mechanicals.

The mall is close enough, they can probably arrange underground passages, using the sewer / storm systems as a base, so they can keep the visible traffic in and out of the mall to a minimum. Good place to put (multiple / redundant) wired connections to the well too.

@JxJxA

FYI, all of the nodes in the tacnet, people and drones, will have an identifying tag, so a handle/street name is associated with each.

@Aria,

The APC is the target, if Jazz can get to the grating without needing the pepper punch grenades to try to move them over.

At least one more posts getting into position, before pulling the trigger, and Jazz or something from the activated repeater could still change plans. Sprogget has not told C&C what he plans yet. He has been very busy, and has been 'forgetting'. He does not want an argument right now They have the sensor data about the actual actions being taken, but not the plans. The team 'chatter' is not part of the feed.
Yes, eBreeze would have mentioned the Well and Sprogget might even have seen it but it is not generally accessed and it isn’t in the main Freedom node (or host in SR5 parlance). By the time you’ve submerged for the 2075 thread I’ll drip feed you a few more of its secrets biggrin.gif

Spindle’s spirit is greater force than his essence (6) and obviously greater than Osha’s magic rating…not by much but enough for it to be physical drain…I can’t really think of a better way to describe ‘force 7’ nyahnyah.gif

Good idea on the living spaces – I’ll write that into the recruitment thread for 2075!

Ok, Jazz will be more or less by the grating so pull the ‘trigger’ whenever you want!

@Chrome / Scrap: Can you make a couple of athletics tests please? Only a glitch is likely to derail Sprogget's cunning plans ork.gif
ChromeZephyr
At the risk of sounding stupid, what kind of athletics? Scrap doesn't have that skill group, just the Running and Climbing skills.
Mach_Ten
QUOTE (ChromeZephyr @ Sep 26 2013, 06:06 PM) *
At the risk of sounding stupid, what kind of athletics? Scrap doesn't have that skill group, just the Running and Climbing skills.

I would have guessed Gymnastics, to not fall over stuff, but that's just a guess.

Crow is setup in cover pretty much wherever you want him, the idea being to give any troops something extra to think about once the APC's have another target or have been neutered.

OR to just strat giving Drakes some second thoughts about going into that hole ! .. that works for me too !
Aria
QUOTE (ChromeZephyr @ Sep 26 2013, 06:06 PM) *

Well that's good, 1 running and 2 climbing please biggrin.gif
ChromeZephyr
Gotcha:

Strength 5 + Running 3 = [1,1,5,2,1,1,2,3] = 1 hit GLITCH - Edge spent to counter glitch, 2 points remaining until refresh.

Strength 5 + Climbing 3 = [6,3,5,1,4,4,2,6] = 3 hits.

Strength 5 + Climbing 3 = [2,5,6,3,2,4,1,6] = 3 hits.

Well, that could have gone better. I know I've asked this before, but I'm not searching 3700 posts to find the answer: When does Edge refresh, Aria? I spent 1 point in the firefight with the Drakes in the last scene, should it have refreshed? If so, then I have 3 edge remaining instead of two.
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (ChromeZephyr @ Sep 26 2013, 02:19 PM) *
Gotcha:

Strength 5 + Running 3 = [1,1,5,2,1,1,2,3] = 1 hit GLITCH - Edge spent to counter glitch, 2 points remaining until refresh.

Well, that could have gone better. I know I've asked this before, but I'm not searching 3700 posts to find the answer: When does Edge refresh, Aria? I spent 1 point in the firefight with the Drakes in the last scene, should it have refreshed? If so, then I have 3 edge remaining instead of two.
I was recently told by my face to face GM, that as of SR4 Anniversary, that would not be a glitch. It has to be MORE than half ones. The actual reference I can find, SR4A62 says it would be. Maybe there was an errata that I do not have merged.

I asked about edge refresh as well recently. GM discretion. Aria refreshed at the beginning of the scene when we left the mall for the patrol and sensor placement. You got that one back.
Machine Ghost

Sorry (but only a little) about the book sized posts. I hope eyes did/do not glaze completely over. It was too much fun putting IRL information into the descriptions, especially the low tech lights in the high tech virtual model, to make vantage point picking as simple as looking for a colored pattern on a 2D photograph, above the edges of black shadows. People tended to be good at that sort of pattern recognition. That fits so nicely with the pseudo low tech steampunk theme.

How do you like my IC description of the process for an astral patrol?  Triangulation, error fitting, error correction, known and unknown reference points, partial starting map?  For anyone interested in how this gets applied IRL in a robotics context, start with a look at Simultaneous localization and mapping (SLAM)

Everything should be ready and in place, as far as Oyl and Sprogget are concerned.

@Arial, if you want LeO to try for the shot at the second APC, just have Jazz delayed or hesitate slightly. If she is still in the way, LeO's instruction should have him choose that, before moving over and going to suppressive fire. My records say he as 75 rounds left out of the 100 for the drum, 12 rounds per full high velocity burst at the APCs, 20 for each suppressive fire.

Should I change professions and become a writer? Suspense and cliff hanger?

PULL
JxJxA
Okay, decided to roll a Thrillseeker test for Gemeaux because the group is putting together impromptu, poorly thought out, nearly hopeless assault!

Will(4) + Cha(3) = 7d6 for 1 hit. Vive la France!

Aria
QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ Sep 27 2013, 04:56 AM) *

Sorry (but only a little) about the book sized posts. I hope eyes did/do not glaze completely over. It was too much fun putting IRL information into the descriptions, especially the low tech lights in the high tech virtual model, to make vantage point picking as simple as looking for a colored pattern on a 2D photograph, above the edges of black shadows. People tended to be good at that sort of pattern recognition. That fits so nicely with the pseudo low tech steampunk theme.
Don’t apologise, I love the big posts! Shows you’re enjoying the game (or at least I hope it does!)
QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ Sep 27 2013, 04:56 AM) *
How do you like my IC description of the process for an astral patrol? Triangulation, error fitting, error correction, known and unknown reference points, partial starting map? For anyone interested in how this gets applied IRL in a robotics context, start with a look at Simultaneous localization and mapping (SLAM)

Everything should be ready and in place, as far as Oyl and Sprogget are concerned.

@Arial, if you want LeO to try for the shot at the second APC, just have Jazz delayed or hesitate slightly. If she is still in the way, LeO's instruction should have him choose that, before moving over and going to suppressive fire. My records say he as 75 rounds left out of the 100 for the drum, 12 rounds per full high velocity burst at the APCs, 20 for each suppressive fire.

Should I change professions and become a writer? Suspense and cliff hanger?

PULL
Don’t worry about the second APC…I have other nasties up my sleeve…just composing the IC now so I will leave you in suspense for a little longer… ork.gif
QUOTE (ChromeZephyr @ Sep 26 2013, 09:19 PM) *
Gotcha:
Edge in SR5 refreshes after a good meal and a rest (~8hrs) so there’s new precedent for it to happen more often. Given how slow pbp can be and trying to track it can be painful I let it refresh every significant scene (usually). As this is the finale of the 2072 tribes I’m more than happy for everyone’s edge to be at full to start…
Aria
IC is up...I've made some (possibly horrible) assumptions about where you were scanning, locations etc and from what you've described so far you couldn't have seen Winter's location in advance and you didn't have contact with Nimbus to get LeFey's locator on Winter's signal... if I'm wrong then I can tinker with the IC...
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (Aria @ Oct 1 2013, 12:51 PM) *
IC is up...I've made some (possibly horrible) assumptions about where you were scanning, locations etc and from what you've described so far you couldn't have seen Winter's location in advance and you didn't have contact with Nimbus to get LeFey's locator on Winter's signal... if I'm wrong then I can tinker with the IC...
Scanning was mostly done with Banjo and the radio signal scanner, to approximately map the jamming. Previous information was that the entry hole in the mall, was at the West end of the mall, which would put our group west of the west end, looking east. My layout for the drones would put LeO at the north end of that line, and Banjo at the south end, both of them closer to the mall (well, not much closer in Banjo's case) than the live team members (except Scrapheap underground). Unless Nimbus told C&C, and they passed it along, or Jazz told him (since she should have know), Sprogget only knows that winter exists, because Jazz told him about her. OOC, I thought Winters was with the APCs, just from the timing of information in the LeFey posts just before the jammer came on.

With the latest shifting of the drones, to get the vantage points they needed, that could put those 2 new drones closer to the team on the ground than they are to the APCs. Depends which way LeO needed to shift (sideways) to get the point picked from the model. Closer to, or further from the team.
Machine Ghost
@Aria,

Thinking about that sideways shift that LeO needed, it would have to be away from the team, and toward Winter.  Otherwise the shift would have taken him right past her, to be only 50 meters away now.  So the drones are further from the team, and LeO was something less than 150 meters away from the team before the shift started (where he could cover the space before the team, while keeping to medium range). Looks like LeO is in the middle of a lot of trouble. Armor 6, Body 3, running Covert Ops, and I did not even get a defense autosoft installed, so only response(6) for defense pool. Could not use full defense UN105 anyway, while trying to suppress around the grating. Covert Ops and Infiltration not much use while throwing that much lead.

Free action
Threading: Software(2)+Resonance(4)+Analytical Mind(2): Boost for Scan CF (8d6.hits(5) → [2,2,6,5,4,1,2,3] = (2))
buy 2 hits for the fading resistance
Scan(1) boosted to Scan(3) SR4A240
Complex Action: SR4A230
Detect Hidden Node Electronic Warfare(2)+Scan(3)+Edge(3) (8d6.hits(5)=1)
Reroll 6 for edge (11d6.hits(5) → [5,2,2,2,4,1,5,5,3,6,5] = (5))
Messed up entering the count, only first die (a 5) counts
Sigh, 2 hits on the detect hidden node, threshold 4

Complex Action:
Compiling(2)+Resonance(4)+VR(2) vs Crack(4)+Scan (8d6.hits(5)=2, 4d6.hits(5)=1)
8d6.hits(5) → [1,3,2,6,3,4,5,1] = (2)
4d6.hits(5) → [5,2,3,1] = (1)
1 task, buy 2 hits to resist fading.

Complex Action:
Detect Hidden Node Electronic Warfare(4)+Scan(4)+Edge(4) (12d6.hits(5) → [6,2,3,6,3,3,6,5,3,6,5,6] = (7))
There is where the good dice have been hiding.  Did not even need edge, and not bothering to reroll the 6's.

Stopping IC here.  That is at least 6 complex actions since the new radar sources were first noticed.  Too many, even at matrix speeds.  Did not roll it, but perception for DR should be Sensor(4)+Clearsight(4) plus maybe actively looking(3) - minus visibility.  If using ONLY radar it should be Sensor(6) and no visibility modifier, unless that static in the air is reducing radar visibility.  Almost prefer that, since it would affect the other drones too.  Might be a bonus looking up with radar.  Nothing solid to confuse the signals.  Looking down, ground clutter can be an issue.

Also deliberately ignoring what might be happening back at the grating.

Also2, Oyl is slightly behind events. Has not seen the matrix help request yet.
Aria
Was trying to update the 2072 map but if you could add where you think LeO, Banjo and the Tank killers are...? Thanks
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (Aria @ Oct 2 2013, 02:20 PM) *
Was trying to update the 2072 map but if you could add where you think LeO, Banjo and the Tank killers are...? Thanks
Map updated. No buildings on today's map where the numbers say the drones need to be. If I had done the initial position while looking at the map, LeO would have been closer, at the north side of the Red Robin Gourmet Burgers building, looking across the corner (and maybe move the breach point further south along that wall). The tank killers are a little closer to the action than intended, but I wanted to keep the monocycle on a road. This is all based on being relative to the assumed location of the wall breach, and keeping the sewer gratings on a roadway. Gemeaux is probably a bit further back, after placing the repeater.

The map seems to have glitched a little. The symbology I had setup for the different 'feature' types is mostly back to simple colored bubbles.
JxJxA
@ Tribes:

Just a short post because I'm a bit unclear where I am or how the possibility of saving a damsel in distress will react with my thrillseeker roll...
ChromeZephyr
@Aria: I figured since I passed the rolls that Scrap would get into place and compromise the grate before the shooting started. If my IC post isn't okay, let me know.
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (JxJxA @ Oct 3 2013, 05:23 AM) *
@ Tribes:

Just a short post because I'm a bit unclear where I am or how the possibility of saving a damsel in distress will react with my thrillseeker roll...
Don't know about the thrillseeker, but Gemeaux was just placing the repeater, on a rooftop somewhere behind the tankkillers on the map. Depending on the conversation timing, he should have time to pick an adequate vantage point/snipers nest. We had a whole 2 minutes warning smile.gif The kind of time that simultaneously feels like forever while vanishing way too fast.
Aria
QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ Oct 3 2013, 12:54 AM) *
Map updated. No buildings on today's map where the numbers say the drones need to be. If I had done the initial position while looking at the map, LeO would have been closer, at the north side of the Red Robin Gourmet Burgers building, looking across the corner (and maybe move the breach point further south along that wall).

The tank killers are a little closer to the action than intended, but I wanted to keep the monocycle on a road. This is all based on being relative to the assumed location of the wall breach, and keeping the sewer gratings on a roadway. Gemeaux is probably a bit further back, after placing the repeater.

The map seems to have glitched a little. The symbology I had setup for the different 'feature' types is mostly back to simple colored bubbles.
Thanks for the map, we’ll work to this as it seems clear to me. Winter’s location is approximately equidistant between LeO and the breech but about the same latitude as LeO…yes that puts him in the middle of the car park more or less, no, you can’t see him ork.gif at least not yet…

Gemeaux has probably placed the repeater on the building just to the south of where the Tank killers are with a view towards the southern wall of the mall.

Yes that is a missile headed at LeO which may be considered overkill (it probably costs almost as much as the drone) but it will save you trying to recreate something for SR5 that doesn’t yet exist (namely the high velocity assault rifle), so think of it as a kindly GM service ork.gif

Regarding timescales & Winter's location - LeFey spotted Winter's location which conincided with the APCs at the time...these then moved towards the breech in the intervening time but Winter stayed put hiding inside the spirit concealed vehicle. I confess I'm not sure on the exact RAW of the situation but I've always treated concealment as being better than an invisibility spell...
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (Aria @ Oct 4 2013, 10:03 AM) *
.. snip ..
Regarding timescales & Winter's location - LeFey spotted Winter's location which conincided with the APCs at the time...these then moved towards the breech in the intervening time but Winter stayed put hiding inside the spirit concealed vehicle. I confess I'm not sure on the exact RAW of the situation but I've always treated concealment as being better than an invisibility spell...
SR4A293 says concealment subtracts dice from the perception dice pool. I thinking of it as making things hard to see, due to a combination of not 'wanting' to look that way, and 'luck' putting things in the way if you do look there. Still possible to see, but more difficult to 'notice'.

In a table top game, I remember using that to hide a getaway van in plain sight. Turned a corner, breaking line of sight, then immediately pulled over to become a watcher of the high speed chase coming around the corner, with no one left to chase. It is better than invisibility for some cases, because people can walk into / run over invisible things. Concealment leaves them less noticeable, but there is still 'something' there to avoid collisions with.

Jazz could/should have told Sprogget about the Winter's current location when she asked him to find Summer. LeFey did pass it along, because Jazz got eBreeze to reset the sensors to be able to see the APCs there initially. Whatever.
Machine Ghost
@Aria,

Sprogget
For the concealment, once there is a specific reason to look, the actively looking bonus can help counter it.  Sprogget, using LeO’s camera(s) should have I think a perception dice pool of Intuition(5)+Sensor(6)+Actively Looking(3)+ maybe the vision enhancement on the camera(3) - vision modifiers(2) - magic rating for the concealment.

Waiting to watch LeO die frown.gif , and letting others post if they feel like it, before trying to deal with whatever those detected nodes are attached to.  Starting with some matrix perception to see what he can learn about them.

Oyl
Checking on the situation with Spindle, Beast Spirit, Mage, Mage’s Spirit, Oyl.  Really looking to be the flea that keeps him busy, while Spindle gets some real hits in, but depending on the circumstances, Oyl with her force 2 spirit might be more effective than you expect.  If the mage is out of body, engaging Spindle in astral combat, the plant spirit can materialize and use unarmed combat or engulf as undefended melee attacks.  Looking at SR4A157, that could actually get a usable dice pool for the spirit: Unarmed Combat(2)+AGI(1)+Opponent Prone(3)+Superior position(2).  Could even add charging attack(2) at least the first time.  Hits from that add to the DV;

Unarmed Combat SR4A159 with STR 6 is 3S plus the (net) hits from the attack, damage resisted by Body + Impact.

Engulf SM100,SR4A294 is Magic 2 + (net) hits stun every spirit action phase, as a sustained power, damage resisted by Body + half impact.  Does not even need to stay LOS to face the wrath when the mage jumps back into his body.  Escaping the engulf will take an action (simple? complex?) and success on STR+BOD vs Magic(2)+Body(5)

Now for a fun one where I do not know what RAW should be.  The plant spirit has the Fear SR4A295 power.  What would the effect be if that was used (and succeeded) in the physical world, on the mage’s body, while the mage was in astral?  Run away in astral?  Could the spirit use both Fear and Engulf at the same time?  Fear and Unarmed Combat?  The spirit also has Concealment, to help get in that first hit, and Guard to suppress glitches.

"Use all of your abilities and powers to do as much damage as you can to that mage, as fast as you can, until he is back in his body and unconscious".

The general plan, since Spindle failed to leave anything to use for targeting instructions, is to summon the first spirit, follow Spindles astral trail/link, then sic the spirit on the mage in the physical plane.  Retreat and call up watcher spirits to harass the mage in either astral or physical, wherever he goes (they actually have a single point of damage for astral combat SR4A192), replacing spirits as fast as they are destroyed.  Retreat to her body if attack imminent in astral, or if the spirits are lasting long enough that the slower physical summoning can mostly keep up.  Once have the target, should not need to point it out to the spirits each time, just give them the location, and the assensed aura from the first time through the mental link.  She gets 11 dice on the perception and assensing, to follow the trail, and read the mage’s aura.

I believe that a spirit/critter concealment power is only effective on the physical plane while it is also physical.  If the mage's spirit is confronting Spindles beast in astral, I think the concealment on the physical plane will drop.  Not that that is going make for a nice view for the tank killers. smile.gif  If the spirit is manifested, it can maintain the power, but then it has 2IP instead of 3, but being dual natured can still be attacked from astral by the Beast Spirit with 3IP SR4A186

Correction: I see that astral tracking SR4A193 has a 1 hour interval.  However, Oyl knows where Sprogget is, and should be able to see any action when she gets close.
Aria
QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ Oct 5 2013, 02:07 AM) *
SR4A293 says concealment subtracts dice from the perception dice pool. I thinking of it as making things hard to see, due to a combination of not 'wanting' to look that way, and 'luck' putting things in the way if you do look there. Still possible to see, but more difficult to 'notice'.

In a table top game, I remember using that to hide a getaway van in plain sight. Turned a corner, breaking line of sight, then immediately pulled over to become a watcher of the high speed chase coming around the corner, with no one left to chase. It is better than invisibility for some cases, because people can walk into / run over invisible things. Concealment leaves them less noticeable, but there is still 'something' there to avoid collisions with.

Jazz could/should have told Sprogget about the Winter's current location when she asked him to find Summer. LeFey did pass it along, because Jazz got eBreeze to reset the sensors to be able to see the APCs there initially. Whatever.
Yes, that’s how I view concealment…it affects technological sensors (although this might be twisting RAW/intent somewhat?!?). Jazz wasn’t tracking Winter and had no reason to assume he wasn’t with the APCs, at least to my mind…??? The APCs were at his location when spotted and then they moved to the breech location!
QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ Oct 5 2013, 06:49 AM) *
@Aria,

Sprogget
For the concealment, once there is a specific reason to look, the actively looking bonus can help counter it. Sprogget, using LeO’s camera(s) should have I think a perception dice pool of Intuition(5)+Sensor(6)+Actively Looking(3)+ maybe the vision enhancement on the camera(3) - vision modifiers(2) - magic rating for the concealment.
Spirit is Fc 8 so assuming vision enhancement functions that gives you 7D, buying a hit (to save you rolling) you pierce the illusion to see a looming Ares Citymaster with an additional box missile system mounted on the back (in addition to the LMGs in the front turret that is…)
Waiting to watch LeO die frown.gif , and letting others post if they feel like it, before trying to deal with whatever those detected nodes are attached to. Starting with some matrix perception to see what he can learn about them.
I imagine you’ll find the rigger’s commlink in hidden mode, the mage’s ‘link and possibly Winter’s bionode…apart from the last not sure you could tell them apart until you try and do something…
Oyl
Checking on the situation with Spindle, Beast Spirit, Mage, Mage’s Spirit, Oyl. Really looking to be the flea that keeps him busy, while Spindle gets some real hits in, but depending on the circumstances, Oyl with her force 2 spirit might be more effective than you expect. If the mage is out of body, engaging Spindle in astral combat, the plant spirit can materialize and use unarmed combat or engulf as undefended melee attacks. Looking at SR4A157, that could actually get a usable dice pool for the spirit: Unarmed Combat(2)+AGI(1)+Opponent Prone(3)+Superior position(2). Could even add charging attack(2) at least the first time. Hits from that add to the DV;

Unarmed Combat SR4A159 with STR 6 is 3S plus the (net) hits from the attack, damage resisted by Body + Impact.

Engulf SM100,SR4A294 is Magic 2 + (net) hits stun every spirit action phase, as a sustained power, damage resisted by Body + half impact. Does not even need to stay LOS to face the wrath when the mage jumps back into his body. Escaping the engulf will take an action (simple? complex?) and success on STR+BOD vs Magic(2)+Body(5)

Now for a fun one where I do not know what RAW should be. The plant spirit has the Fear SR4A295 power. What would the effect be if that was used (and succeeded) in the physical world, on the mage’s body, while the mage was in astral? Run away in astral? Could the spirit use both Fear and Engulf at the same time? Fear and Unarmed Combat? The spirit also has Concealment, to help get in that first hit, and Guard to suppress glitches.
I would argue that you could use fear on the astral form, using it on the body will have no effect as his consciousness is elsewhere! As to multi power uses, one per action is the way to go but as you will have more than one I don’t see why you couldn’t combo them…
"Use all of your abilities and powers to do as much damage as you can to that mage, as fast as you can, until he is back in his body and unconscious".

The general plan, since Spindle failed to leave anything to use for targeting instructions, is to summon the first spirit, follow Spindles astral trail/link, then sic the spirit on the mage in the physical plane. Retreat and call up watcher spirits to harass the mage in either astral or physical, wherever he goes (they actually have a single point of damage for astral combat SR4A192), replacing spirits as fast as they are destroyed. Retreat to her body if attack imminent in astral, or if the spirits are lasting long enough that the slower physical summoning can mostly keep up. Once have the target, should not need to point it out to the spirits each time, just give them the location, and the assensed aura from the first time through the mental link. She gets 11 dice on the perception and assensing, to follow the trail, and read the mage’s aura.

I believe that a spirit/critter concealment power is only effective on the physical plane while it is also physical. If the mage's spirit is confronting Spindles beast in astral, I think the concealment on the physical plane will drop. Not that that is going make for a nice view for the tank killers. smile.gif If the spirit is manifested, it can maintain the power, but then it has 2IP instead of 3, but being dual natured can still be attacked from astral by the Beast Spirit with 3IP SR4A186

Correction: I see that astral tracking SR4A193 has a 1 hour interval. However, Oyl knows where Sprogget is, and should be able to see any action when she gets close.
Don’t forget mysads don’t get astral projection, only perception if you buy it as an adept power…if Osha wants to be ‘on scene’ she’ll need to go there in person. Sending a spirit that far alone will be a remote service and it’ll need to be fairly smart or instructions very specific!

Working on IC now but anyone can post in the meantime…will try and post it tomorrow…
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (Aria @ Oct 7 2013, 10:36 AM) *
Yes, that’s how I view concealment…it affects technological sensors (although this might be twisting RAW/intent somewhat?!?).  Jazz wasn’t tracking Winter and had no reason to assume he wasn’t with the APCs, at least to my mind…???  The APCs were at his location when spotted and then they moved to the breech location!

Spirit is Fc 8 so assuming vision enhancement functions that gives you 7D, buying a hit (to save you rolling) you pierce the illusion to see a looming Ares Citymaster with an additional box missile system mounted on the back (in addition to the LMGs in the front turret that is…)
I imagine you’ll find the rigger’s commlink in hidden mode, the mage’s ‘link and possibly Winter’s bionode…apart from the last not sure you could tell them apart until you try and do something…

I would argue that you could use fear on the astral form, using it on the body will have no effect as his consciousness is elsewhere!  As to multi power uses, one per action is the way to go but as you will have more than one I don’t see why you couldn’t combo them…
Don’t forget mysads don’t get astral projection, only perception if you buy it as an adept power…if Osha wants to be ‘on scene’ she’ll need to go there in person.  Sending a spirit that far alone will be a remote service and it’ll need to be fairly smart or instructions very specific!

Working on IC now but anyone can post in the meantime…will try and post it tomorrow…
Matrix perception can get some information about the nodes, once they are found.  SR4A328 has an explicitly partial list of things that can be discovered, 1 per hit, reduced by stealth if that is running.

Well with multiple 'bodies' around, Fear might be appropriate anyway.  Potentially keep the others off of the spirit while attacking the mage.  Self defense while doing the main task.  Of course if the mage is running counterspelling (that is effective on the physical plane), the chance of doing anything are pretty slim.  What would the effect of Fear be on a rigger that was jumped into a vehicle, if the spirit was inside the vehicle?  Assuming that the riggers body is actually in the vehicle, not remote.  That requires LOS to take effect, so if the rigger is in an enclosed rigger cocoon, the spirit might not be able to 'see' him while attacking the mage.

If the 'reason' for destroying LeO, is the high velocity, breaking that would be enough. LeO has a bunch of other upgrades too. The most expensive item probably the response(5) for the node. Why Frankenhunter liked the drone so much smile.gif

Right, Oyl has the astral perception adept power, but not projection.  One alternative seems to be to try to use a watcher spirit for eyes (using the mental link).  Take too long to shift to bird form and get there, even if it was safe to fly in that storm.  Oyl is looking for the fastest way to get the spirit into the action.  Another complaint against Spindle.  This would have been much easier if had waited a few seconds, so the spirit could have gone WITH him, and probably been targeted by him too.

Projected plant sprit sequence, if Oyl can specify enough:
Materilize
Charge for melee attack, engulf: assuming surprise and/or mage in astral, automatic with hits boosting DV
Melee attack while sustaining engulf
Fear while sustaining engulf (if any others physically close enough to interfere)
Melee attack while sustaining engulf and fear: those are powers, not spells, so I do not know how negatives should work for sustaining.

I'd start with Fear already active when materializing, but do not want to give the mage/spirit any extra chance to notice something ahead of time.

Oyl summon new plant spirit(2)
5d6.hits(5);2d6.hits(5)

Summon force 2 plant spirit (5d6.hits(5)=1, 2d6.hits(5) =0)
5d6.hits(5);2d6.hits(5) → [3,1,2,2,5] = (1)
5d6.hits(5);2d6.hits(5) → [2,3] = (0)
buy 2 hits to resist the drain

I 'thought' I had already done this, but boosted summoning(1) to summoning(2) for 4 karma (one more die for plant spirits later).  The chummer file already had the karma 'allocated', but not spent.
Summon replacement watcher spirits as needed
summoning(2)+Magic(2): buy 1 hit == 1 hour

Plant Spirit(2): BOD 5, AGI 1, REA 5, STR 6, CHA 2, INT 2, LOG 2, WIL 2, EDG 2, Mag 2, INI 4, IP 2
[ Spoiler ]

If this lasts very long, Oyl will be wanting to spend at least some time back in physical, to keep up with the tactical information.
Aria
QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ Oct 8 2013, 12:45 AM) *
Matrix perception can get some information about the nodes, once they are found. SR4A328 228 has an explicitly partial list of things that can be discovered, 1 per hit, reduced by stealth if that is running.
• Access ID of a user or independent agent
• Alert status of node
• Edit date of a file
• Function of a control icon
• Hidden access to another node
• Matrix damage taken by icon
• Presence of a data bomb
• Programs run by persona or agent
• Rating of one Matrix attribute
• Type (file, user, agent, program type, etc.)
• Whether a file or node is encrypted
• Whether a Trace is running
There you go…ask away!
QUOTE ( @ Oct 8 2013, 12:45 AM) *
Also has Magical Guard for counterspelling, and Silence to prevent some calls for help or instructions SM98 Unarmed Combat(2)+AGI(1)+Opponent Prone(3)+Superior position(2)+Charge(2) => Melee Attacks
10d6.hits(5) → [4,6,5,2,3,4,1,2,5,2] = (3)
10d6.hits(5) → [3,5,2,5,1,1,3,1,1,1] = (2)
10d6.hits(5) → [1,2,3,6,2,6,5,6,4,6] = (5)
10d6.hits(5) → [1,4,4,1,3,2,6,2,5,1] = (2)
10d6.hits(5) → [3,3,4,1,6,5,1,5,1,5] = (4) Truncate as needed. The 2nd is actually a glitch, if get the full pool. probably no charge for that though.
Engulf(2)+net Hits stun
Unarmed(3)+net Hits stun

The spirit has both Unarmed comabat and Dogde skills, so Block and Dodge are both valid melee defense actions, with the same dice pool. Ranged defense is REA(5) with hardened Armor(4). Not good enough to block most physical weapons.
Whole bunch of dice pools potentially needed for defense and resistance. Here are the ones I could think of for now.
Physical Defense: REA(5)+Dodge(2)
Magical Defense (Indirect Physical) REA(5)+Counterspelling(2) Physical Damage Resistance: BOD(5)+Armor(4) Spell Defense: Magic(2)+WIL(2)+Counterspelling(2)
Spell Damage Resistance:
Direct Physical: Body(5)+Counterspelling(2), Indirect Physical: Body(5)+half Armor(2),
Mana: WIL(2)+Counterspelling(2)
Too many variations to roll individually. I'll just roll a general 'damage' pool, to be used as needed.
General resistance / damage pool.
10d6.hits(5) → [2,5,2,2,2,6,3,2,5,3]
10d6.hits(5) → [1,5,5,2,4,5,4,5,4,6]
10d6.hits(5) → [4,6,4,4,2,4,4,4,1,2]
10d6.hits(5) → [4,4,5,2,6,5,6,3,2,4]
10d6.hits(5) → [2,2,6,4,1,3,6,3,1,5]
10d6.hits(5) → [3,6,3,4,3,6,3,1,3,5]
10d6.hits(5) → [6,6,1,4,1,2,4,6,3,5]
10d6.hits(5) → [6,3,5,3,3,3,5,1,1,5]
Ok, some of this is moot as the mage is in a cocoon (with mage goggles to look outside) and the spirit needs to ‘climb in there with him’ so won’t be vulnerable to attack from outside unless they crack the pod… also Engulf, fear etc are powers so they are used once per IP, rather than sustained, and replace any other attack…they are quite hideous as it is without allowing multiple affects going on at once! (Yes, engulf does auto damage every round until the victim escapes…) Also as he’s in a cocoon I think charge is a bit of a reach but being engulfed in plant life is probably going to be very effective with no dodge available! I’d have described the attack in more gory detail but will leave that to you as I can’t remember off hand if you’ve described the form your plant spirits take???

Bod 5 + Armour 6(/2) =Buy hits 2 vs 2 +net melee hits = 3 boxes IP1, 2 in IP2 …he’ll realise something is up about now… <cliff hanger> (he still needs to try and escape which will be hard from inside the cocoon!)

I’ve stopped it here because I want to give Crow, Mordred, Gemeaux and possibly LeFey a chance to chime in too if they like… otherwise I’ll crack on! Scrapheap has caught Jazz, you’ll need to climb down to get her to the bottom, then what do you want to do???

Ps. LeO is out of this fight! There are other combat drones around though that you could co-opt if you want? Jazz’s hound drone springs to mind and there may be others…
Machine Ghost
@Aria,

Oyl:
With the mage in a cocoon, charge is as you say probably not appropriate, but I do like the benefit of keeping outside mundane interference out smile.gif  Also like your idea that escaping is more problem while inside the cocoon.  Double jeopardy.  Can not move while engulfed.  Can not move (much) while in the cocoon.  Even if he breaks the engulf, he is still going to be prone and nearly immobile for the following attack(s).

Oyl is maybe not acting as fast as I was thinking, although that does not affect the spirits once summoned.  With astral perception, but not projection, can she even get to the astral initiative passes that Chummer is showing me?  If not, I need to go edit a post, and it at least means she can somewhat keep up on what is happening in C&C while focusing the majority of her attention on the spirits.  Looks like the multi-tasking adept power might be in her future, if SR5 has that, since it is in Street Magic now.

Handle how you want, but here is a collection of the pieces that I based the sustain on.
QUOTE (SR4A292 Powers)
Powers are special abilities that critters possess as part of their physiology. Some powers are natural in nature, such as claws or armor. Others, such as Concealment or Engulf, are magical.
QUOTE (SR4A294 Engulf)
The Engulf power gives a critter the ability to draw victims into itself or the terrain it controls, thus smothering the victim.
..snip..
Every time the critter’s Action Phase comes up, the critter automatically inflicts damage with a base DV equal to its Magic attribute. Net hits on the melee attack increase the DV of this damage.
..snip..
QUOTE (SM100 Engulf)
The Engulf power is just as usable by a spirit joined to a vessel as it is by a spirit materializing a body of its own.  Spirits need not drag their victims inside their body, as engulfing materials can appear next to the spirit.  As Engulf is a sustained power, a spirit is capable of leaving the vicinity or even line of sight of the victim while the Engulf continues.
..snip..
Plant: The victim is entwined in vines, branches, or thorns, suffering Stun damage.
All of which combined gets me to think that the power does not need to be 'used again' each IP.  Once engulfed (with appropriate materials), it is just sustained, and the spirit can continue with other actions.  No extra engulf rolls are needed.  The net hits from the initial melee attack continue to affect the continuing damage each action phase.  Something like some diseases and poisons, until cured or neutralized.

With those assumptions, the first IP will be 2 hits from the melee attack (last 2 dice ignored from all pools for the charge), with resulting DV of Magic(2)+Net hits(2) = 4S, reduced to 2 by the damage resistance.  The second IP will be an additional 2S damage for the continued engulf, plus unarmed attack with STR(6)/2+Net Hits(2)-damage resistance(2)=3S extra.  Total of 7 stun in 2 IP (1 combat turn).  Enough to get wounds(-2) for actions, like breaking the engulf.  I did say the force 2 spirit might be more effective than you expected.  Even if the mage does break the engulf on the first IP of the next combat turn, he is still looking at another 7S, resisted to 5 from the (simultaneous) unarmed combat attack.  Will 14S take him out?

If the plant spirit ends its service when the mage goes unconscious, but the air spirit is still active (as seen by the watcher spirits), Oyl will need to summon the next plant spirit to finish the job.

I had not previously given a full description of Oyl's Plant spirit.  I did mention the first time summoning one, that she was envisioning the potted cactus plant at her lodge biggrin.gif  Unfortunately, those will have to be blunt spines, to help with the grip, since the damage is stun.  Strangulation, not knives.

Sprogget:
Co-opt other combat drones??  But why?  Sprogget wants that CityMaster!!!  Built in rigger cocoon(s).  Perfect 'salvage' for Sprogget's new 'office' biggrin.gif  Not the discrete wheels he was lamenting for the trip to pick up LeFey, but would look good on a patrol around the Mechanicals territory smile.gif  Probably that would eventually bring too much of the wrong attention, but parking it inside of disguised building/garage, to bring out for special occasions, is very tempting.  With extra precautions, so intrepid thieves would find it to be physically disabled until needed.  The threat that it represents could help Oyl with the negotiations needed trying to get a 'coalition' to support the neutrality of the hospital.

Can I get C&C feeding update information to Sprogget?  Knowing a bit more about the magical resources deployed could help.  At least with the nerves smile.gif  More options later, if the mage gets dealt with, and Oyl can report to C&C a bit of what she saw through the spirits, combined with what Sprogget will get from the matrix nodes.

Sprogget has a bit of a problem here.  He managed to use up all of his edge.  1 to cut the fading from calling a contrary sprite, one to counter the edge used by the dissonant rigger, and one on the initial failed attempt to locate the hidden nodes.  Plus 6 stun and 1 physical, currently countered by a stim(4) patch.  He is getting seriously close to his limits for the day.

If Oyl and Sprogget are about in time sync now, Oly and Spindle might finish with the mage before Sprogget has to get serious about the matrix nodes.  I am meta game guessing that Spindle is done with direct action for now.  Summoning the spirit, plus the astral combat is going to take him out of the action for now.  Oyl though might be able to do some more hands on work, when she has enough information to make it effective.
It will take a few turns for Sprogget to look at and identify those nodes.  Simple action, Analyze Icon/Node SR4A229, 2 actions per IP, 3IP.

Poor LeO.  He gave it his all.  After the planned actions, he was going to be nearly out of ammo anyway.  20 round suppressive fire with 3 IP uses ammo fast.  Technically, I think suppressive fire should be 20 rounds for the whole combat turn, just like movement rate just gets divided by the number of IP for how far you can move in one IP.  Extra matrix IP does not let the physical rifle shoot any faster, but the area is still suppressed for all of the IP that it is active.

What happened to the second radar source 'above', or was that the missile?  DR has active radar engaged to try to find it Not after clarification.

Threading: Software(2)+Resonance(4)+Analytical Mind(2)
buy 2 hits to boost Analyze(3) to Analyze(5), buy 2 hits to resist the fading.  Reduce dice pools below by 1, if do not want to allow buying hits for physical fading.  Actually, right now, physical fading might be better than stun.

Matrix Perception: Computer(2)+Analyze(5)+TM Bonus(2)+Hot Sim Bonus(2)+Actively Looking(3), either success test, or opposed by Firewall+Stealth (since these are all nodes)
For each node:
what 'type' is it? (since this level is analyze 'node', Commlink, drone/vehicle, device, PAN (if separate from commlink), other)
what response rating?
presence of resonance (signature)?
what firewall rating?
is the node encrypted?
is it slaved to another node?
is it being rigged?
node alert status?
what system rating?
what signal rating?
Matrix perception: Analyze Node, detected nodes at citymaster
14d6.hits(5) → [3,2,5,1,2,4,1,2,3,3,4,3,1,1] = (1)
14d6.hits(5) → [3,2,2,1,2,3,1,6,6,6,5,4,5,2] = (5)
14d6.hits(5) → [4,5,3,5,1,6,1,6,4,3,3,2,6,4] = (5)
14d6.hits(5) → [6,6,4,1,4,6,5,5,6,2,4,2,3,2] = (6)
14d6.hits(5) → [1,3,3,6,3,6,5,4,4,1,1,1,2,5] = (4)
14d6.hits(5) → [6,4,5,5,3,5,1,1,1,6,1,1,2,3] = (5)
14d6.hits(5) → [5,6,6,4,6,3,2,6,2,5,4,1,4,1] = (6)
14d6.hits(5) → [3,5,5,3,5,3,3,5,6,5,4,5,4,3] = (7)
14d6.hits(5) → [4,4,2,2,5,1,6,5,6,2,6,2,2,3] = (5)
14d6.hits(5) → [6,3,2,3,3,3,3,4,2,3,1,5,5,6] = (4)
Other than the first roll, the dice were generous

A bionode might show as a unique type, or it could masquerade as a commlink, depending on the abilities of the TM.  Jumped in, the rigger probably does not show as a separate node.  He is 'in' the citymaster.  At least that is the way SR5 points.  SR4 looks like the commlink would be separate, but easy enough treat as slaved when jumped in, to bring back to effectively a single node again.

After the initial pass, any that show no/little information (at least the firewall rating) are worth a second look, as well as filling in any additional information from 'interesting' items from the first look.  That would likely be citymaster, rigger if separate, bionode if identified.  Another item that could be interesting, is the number of commlinks seen, as an indication of the number of people inside.  If the commlinks seem mostly all the same, that will probably indicate to Sprogget that they are part of the milspec group, part of the 'standard equipment'.  Weaker, and more variation, points to gangers and more diverse runner style groups.  Probably will not fill the complete question list on anything, even the ones given a second look.  That is probably as far as it is safe to 'script' the actions, until have some of the initial information.
JxJxA
@ Aria: I'm more than happy to take up aim and begin popping heads like balloons from afar with the sniper rifle (or at least ringing them like bells if they are appropriately encased in heavy armor). biggrin.gif Is anyone visible?
Aria
QUOTE (JxJxA @ Oct 9 2013, 02:08 AM) *
@ Aria: I'm more than happy to take up aim and begin popping heads like balloons from afar with the sniper rifle (or at least ringing them like bells if they are appropriately encased in heavy armor). biggrin.gif Is anyone visible?
There are plenty visible…check out the map link that Machine Ghost put up a few posts back…the gangers and soldier boys are around the area marked as the breech…tell me who you are targeting and where you want to shoot from (I am assuming you are starting on the roof of the (crumbling) building just south of where Sprogget et al. is marked on the map)!
QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ Oct 9 2013, 01:09 AM) *
@Aria,

Oyl:
With the mage in a cocoon, charge is as you say probably not appropriate, but I do like the benefit of keeping outside mundane interference out smile.gif Also like your idea that escaping is more problem while inside the cocoon. Double jeopardy. Can not move while engulfed. Can not move (much) while in the cocoon. Even if he breaks the engulf, he is still going to be prone and nearly immobile for the following attack(s).

Oyl is maybe not acting as fast as I was thinking, although that does not affect the spirits once summoned. With astral perception, but not projection, can she even get to the astral initiative passes that Chummer is showing me? If not, I need to go edit a post, and it at least means she can somewhat keep up on what is happening in C&C while focusing the majority of her attention on the spirits. Looks like the multi-tasking adept power might be in her future, if SR5 has that, since it is in Street Magic now.
Mundane speeds only I’m afraid!
Handle how you want, but here is a collection of the pieces that I based the sustain on.
All of which combined gets me to think that the power does need to be 'used again' each IP. Once engulfed (with appropriate materials), it is just sustained, and the spirit can continue with other actions. No extra engulf rolls are needed. The net hits from the initial melee attack continue to affect the continuing damage each action phase. Something like some diseases and poisons, until cured or neutralized.

With those assumptions, the first IP will be 2 hits from the melee attack (last 2 dice ignored from all pools for the charge), with resulting DV of Magic(2)+Net hits(2) = 4S, reduced to 2 by the damage resistance. The second IP will be an additional 2S damage for the continued engulf, plus unarmed attack with STR(6)/2+Net Hits(2)-damage resistance(2)=3S extra. Total of 7 stun in 2 IP (1 combat turn). Enough to get wounds(-2) for actions, like breaking the engulf. I did say the force 2 spirit might be more effective than you expected. Even if the mage does break the engulf on the first IP of the next combat turn, he is still looking at another 7S, resisted to 5 from the (simultaneous) unarmed combat attack. Will 14S take him out?
Yes! I toyed with the idea of him returning to his body and blasting the plant out of existence but it is just too fast and I’ve always played it that you only have a tenuous feel for your body from the astral…it’s an out of body experience after all!
If the plant spirit ends its service when the mage goes unconscious, but the air spirit is still active (as seen by the watcher spirits), Oyl will need to summon the next plant spirit to finish the job.

I had not previously given a full description of Oyl's Plant spirit. I did mention the first time summoning one, that she was envisioning the potted cactus plant at her lodge biggrin.gif Unfortunately, those will have to be blunt spines, to help with the grip, since the damage is stun. Strangulation, not knives.

Sprogget:
Co-opt other combat drones?? But why? Sprogget wants that CityMaster!!! Built in rigger cocoon(s). Perfect 'salvage' for Sprogget's new 'office' biggrin.gif Not the discrete wheels he was lamenting for the trip to pick up LeFey, but would look good on a patrol around the Mechanicals territory smile.gif Probably that would eventually bring too much of the wrong attention, but parking it inside of disguised building/garage, to bring out for special occasions, is very tempting. With extra precautions, so intrepid thieves would find it to be physically disabled until needed. The threat that it represents could help Oyl with the negotiations needed trying to get a 'coalition' to support the neutrality of the hospital.

Can I get C&C feeding update information to Sprogget? Knowing a bit more about the magical resources deployed could help. At least with the nerves smile.gif More options later, if the mage gets dealt with, and Oyl can report to C&C a bit of what she saw through the spirits, combined with what Sprogget will get from the matrix nodes.

Sprogget has a bit of a problem here. He managed to use up all of his edge. 1 to cut the fading from calling a contrary sprite, one to counter the edge used by the dissonant rigger, and one on the initial failed attempt to locate the hidden nodes. Plus 6 stun and 1 physical, currently countered by a stim(4) patch. He is getting seriously close to his limits for the day.

If Oyl and Sprogget are about in time sync now, Oly and Spindle might finish with the mage before Sprogget has to get serious about the matrix nodes. I am meta game guessing that Spindle is done with direct action for now. Summoning the spirit, plus the astral combat is going to take him out of the action for now. Oyl though might be able to do some more hands on work, when she has enough information to make it effective.
It will take a few turns for Sprogget to look at and identify those nodes. Simple action, Analyze Icon/Node SR4A229, 2 actions per IP, 3IP.
You are more or less in sync. The elemental buggers off when the mage goes unconscious so you can see your prize! Although I suspect winkling out the rigger will be harder than dealing with the mage!
Poor LeO. He gave it his all. After the planned actions, he was going to be nearly out of ammo anyway. 20 round suppressive fire with 3 IP uses ammo fast. Technically, I think suppressive fire should be 20 rounds for the whole combat turn, just like movement rate just gets divided by the number of IP for how far you can move in one IP. Extra matrix IP does not let the physical rifle shoot any faster, but the area is still suppressed for all of the IP that it is active.

What happened to the second radar source 'above', or was that the missile? DR has active radar engaged to try to find it.
It’s still up there somewhere…
buy 2 hits to boost Analyze(3) to Analyze(5), buy 2 hits to resist the fading. Reduce dice pools below by 1, if do not want to allow buying hits for physical fading. Actually, right now, physical fading might be better than stun.

Matrix Perception: Computer(2)+Analyze(5)+TM Bonus(2)+Hot Sim Bonus(2)+Actively Looking(3), either success test, or opposed by Firewall+Stealth (since these are all nodes)
For each node:
what 'type' is it? (since this level is analyze 'node', Commlink, drone/vehicle, device, PAN (if separate from commlink), other)
what response rating?
what firewall rating?
is the node encrypted?
is it being rigged?
node alert status?
what system rating?
what signal rating?
14d6.hits(5) → [3,2,5,1,2,4,1,2,3,3,4,3,1,1] = (1)
14d6.hits(5) → [3,2,2,1,2,3,1,6,6,6,5,4,5,2] = (5)
14d6.hits(5) → [4,5,3,5,1,6,1,6,4,3,3,2,6,4] = (5)

A bionode might show as a unique type, or it could masquerade as a commlink, depending on the abilities of the TM. Jumped in, the rigger probably does not show as a separate node. He is 'in' the citymaster. At least that is the way SR5 points. SR4 looks like the commlink would be separate, but easy enough treat as slaved when jumped in, to bring back to effectively a single node again.

After the initial pass, any that show no/little information (at least the firewall rating) are worth a second look, as well as filling in any additional information from 'interesting' items from the first look. That would likely be citymaster, rigger if separate, bionode if identified. Another item that could be interesting, is the number of commlinks seen, as an indication of the number of people inside. If the commlinks seem mostly all the same, that will probably indicate to Sprogget that they are part of the milspec group, part of the 'standard equipment'. Weaker, and more variation, points to gangers and more diverse runner style groups. Probably will not fill the complete question list on anything, even the ones given a second look. That is probably as far as it is safe to 'script' the actions, until have some of the initial information.
Will get to this lot when I can…suspect you’ve got a bit more information to post and hopefully the others will chime in too!
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (Aria @ Oct 9 2013, 10:32 AM) *
.. snip ..
Mundane speeds only I’m afraid!
Got a bit of editing to do

.. snip ..

You are more or less in sync.  The elemental buggers off when the mage goes unconscious so you can see your prize!  Although I suspect winkling out the rigger will be harder than dealing with the mage!
So the air spirit was not bound.  That depends who is doing the winkling.  See below smile.gif
.. snip ..

It’s still up there somewhere…

Will get to this lot when I can…suspect you’ve got a bit more information to post and hopefully the others will chime in too!
Yes more info, though limited without a few details, about what Spindle/Cam will do next.  Oyl at least can start the next steps.

Part of the point of trying to keep the information current about what is happening various places, was for Oyl to be able to help out more directly.  Oyl has 'seen' the second cocoon, and Sprogget knows what it means.  Another plant spirit in there should clear things out of the way nicely!  When Oyl reports success (and Spindle either confirms or passes out when returning to his body), C&C should be giving Sprogget an update on the magical situation.  Oyl will be insisting on that, even if only with a nonverbal message and glare for Cam.  Been too much hoarding of important information already.  When Sprogget notices the spell/illusion is gone, he can query C&C for info too, if they are not prompt.  Add a personal message from Oyl about turning him into a snake so she can tie knots better, followed by a quick direct brother/sister (commlink) chat to share info real time (between Sprogget’s information about the nodes, and what Oyl got from auras, they should have a good idea about the 'crew' in the citymaster).  Both have been avoiding direct calls, not sure just how busy the other is with 'life critical' things.  Then …

That idea was what prompted the earlier question about what affect Fear would have on a jumped in rigger, if the source was inside the rigged vehicle, or even inside the cocoon.  Force 2 spirits can not take on masses of gangers and experienced, milspec equipped troops, but a little careful targeting can make a big difference in the situation in a hurry.  Time it right.  Take over the Citymaster as the troops are boarding that remaining APC.  That will make IT a sitting target.  Limited by Sprogget’s skill with Gunnery while jumped in.  Actually maybe use a Tutor sprite to get some skill.  A missile or 2 will get a lot of revenge for what they did in the mall.  Maybe one close to the breach, to scatter some gangers.

You did say earlier that there is one more magical resource available to the Mechanicals (got a name picked out?).  If Spindle passes out, maybe Oyl can assert some authority.  Get him to the clinic, get Cam to assign that other mage to astral patrol, trying to cover the open perimeter.  The storm is likely messing with visibility enough, that tossing a tribal sensor drone high is probably not going to be very effective (need to figure out what the tribal resources consist of too; I did some high level design/speculation earlier, about what could be used from scavenged sources, but never spec’d it out; need a 'tribal security budget' to take it very far).
Specs/Char sheet/profiles for Spindle and the other mage would be good to, if Oyl is going to be making any 'plans'.
JxJxA
@ Aria: Cool, finally found out where I'm at on the map! ^_^ How close are the gang goons to the milspec mooks? I might try and start a fight between the two of them if possible... biggrin.gif
Machine Ghost

About caught up. Just the obvious next piece to get the dragonfly drone moving North, at speed, inside of the mall, get another (smarter than watcher) plant spirit to inventory the passengers, collect the information from the matrix perception, maybe Bit can lookup information about possible/likely manual overrides in the Citymaster. With the latest though, Sprogget is probably going back for another check of nodes, to try to see if they might have a tacnet running. Not *sure* about that in RAW. tacsoft would be a program inside the node, but having it running is going to have a steady stream of information being passed between the members, and that volume of communications should be visible outside, even without doing intercept wireless to actually 'read' the content. Detection of the signals should be a variation on perception, before it would be possible to intercept (or decrypt then intercept). If active content noticed, need to check skills to see if interception is an option. Tapping in to the other guys tacnet seems like a very good idea, if it become possible. Unlike hacking, capture signal is totally invisible. Wireless version of a shotgun (directional) microphone
Aria
buy 2 hits to boost Analyze(3) to Analyze(5), buy 2 hits to resist the fading. Reduce dice pools below by 1, if do not want to allow buying hits for physical fading. Actually, right now, physical fading might be better than stun.

For each node:
what response rating?
what firewall rating?
is the node encrypted?
is it being rigged?
node alert status?
what system rating?
what signal rating?
14d6.hits(5) → [3,2,5,1,2,4,1,2,3,3,4,3,1,1] = (1) nada!
14d6.hits(5) → [3,2,2,1,2,3,1,6,6,6,5,4,5,2] = (5) 2 net hits gives tacnet guys stats (firewall 6 & encryption 6)
14d6.hits(5) → [4,5,3,5,1,6,1,6,4,3,3,2,6,4] = (5) 2 net hits gives rigger’s stats (firewall 7 & response 6)

A bionode might show as a unique type, or it could masquerade as a commlink, depending on the abilities of the TM. Jumped in, the rigger probably does not show as a separate node. He is 'in' the citymaster. At least that is the way SR5 points. SR4 looks like the commlink would be separate, but easy enough treat as slaved when jumped in, to bring back to effectively a single node again.

After the initial pass, any that show no/little information (at least the firewall rating) are worth a second look, as well as filling in any additional information from 'interesting' items from the first look. That would likely be citymaster, rigger if separate, bionode if identified. Another item that could be interesting, is the number of commlinks seen, as an indication of the number of people inside. If the commlinks seem mostly all the same, that will probably indicate to Sprogget that they are part of the milspec group, part of the 'standard equipment'. Weaker, and more variation, points to gangers and more diverse runner style groups. Probably will not fill the complete question list on anything, even the ones given a second look. That is probably as far as it is safe to 'script' the actions, until have some of the initial information.

QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ Oct 9 2013, 11:21 PM) *
Yes more info, though limited without a few details, about what Spindle/Cam will do next. Oyl at least can start the next steps.

Part of the point of trying to keep the information current about what is happening various places, was for Oyl to be able to help out more directly. Oyl has 'seen' the second cocoon, and Sprogget knows what it means. Another plant spirit in there should clear things out of the way nicely! When Oyl reports success (and Spindle either confirms or passes out when returning to his body), C&C should be giving Sprogget an update on the magical situation. Oyl will be insisting on that, even if only with a nonverbal message and glare for Cam. Been too much hoarding of important information already. When Sprogget notices the spell/illusion is gone, he can query C&C for info too, if they are not prompt. Add a personal message from Oyl about turning him into a snake so she can tie knots better, followed by a quick direct brother/sister (commlink) chat to share info real time (between Sprogget’s information about the nodes, and what Oyl got from auras, they should have a good idea about the 'crew' in the citymaster). Both have been avoiding direct calls, not sure just how busy the other is with 'life critical' things. Then …

That idea was what prompted the earlier question about what affect Fear would have on a jumped in rigger, if the source was inside the rigged vehicle, or even inside the cocoon. Force 2 spirits can not take on masses of gangers and experienced, milspec equipped troops, but a little careful targeting can make a big difference in the situation in a hurry. Time it right. Take over the Citymaster as the troops are boarding that remaining APC. That will make IT a sitting target. Limited by Sprogget’s skill with Gunnery while jumped in. Actually maybe use a Tutor sprite to get some skill. A missile or 2 will get a lot of revenge for what they did in the mall. Maybe one close to the breach, to scatter some gangers.

You did say earlier that there is one more magical resource available to the Mechanicals (got a name picked out?). If Spindle passes out, maybe Oyl can assert some authority. Get him to the clinic, get Cam to assign that other mage to astral patrol, trying to cover the open perimeter. The storm is likely messing with visibility enough, that tossing a tribal sensor drone high is probably not going to be very effective (need to figure out what the tribal resources consist of too; I did some high level design/speculation earlier, about what could be used from scavenged sources, but never spec’d it out; need a 'tribal security budget' to take it very far).
Specs/Char sheet/profiles for Spindle and the other mage would be good to, if Oyl is going to be making any 'plans'.
Ok, as you may or may not have seen from the IC yet, Spindle is out of it. The one other mage (Firebox) is by no means a combat machine (the name is ironic!)…reclusive tinkerer is much closer to the mark and probably frightened of his own shadow…this is down to PCs now ork.gif

Happy with the comms between Osha and Sprogget, will IC the info from the nodes and the spirits as best I can but the summary is here:
  • Unconcious mage in open cocoon…damn those biomonitors!
  • Mundane in another open cocoon (did you think they’d fall for the same trick twice?), presumably the rigger. Has an active ‘link with firewall 7+ stealth 6 (buy hits = 3)!
  • The Citymaster has no node on the matrix, probably slaved to the rigger’s link by direct access
  • Two more in the Citymaster, one running the tacnet (stealth 6, firewall 6 / buy 3 hits) and the other with a bionode (firewall 4, stealth CF 6 / buy 2 hits) - Winter
  • Tacnet guy is doing first aid on the mage…handy stim patch [6] coming up!

Feel free to ask some more specific questions beyond this based on your rolls…bear in mind that although we are sort of out of combat time I’m still keeping it in mind, so don’t scan for too long!

Good luck trying to take over the Citymaster ork.gif I did try and warn you all!

The link to Freedom is fragile but there…

I guess we can work out a tribal budget come the 2075 game…almost certainly less than you’d like ork.gif
QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ Oct 10 2013, 09:53 AM) *

About caught up. Just the obvious next piece to get the dragonfly drone moving North, at speed, inside of the mall, get another (smarter than watcher) plant spirit to inventory the passengers, collect the information from the matrix perception, maybe Bit can lookup information about possible/likely manual overrides in the Citymaster. With the latest though, Sprogget is probably going back for another check of nodes, to try to see if they might have a tacnet running. Not *sure* about that in RAW. tacsoft would be a program inside the node, but having it running is going to have a steady stream of information being passed between the members, and that volume of communications should be visible outside, even without doing intercept wireless to actually 'read' the content. Detection of the signals should be a variation on perception, before it would be possible to intercept (or decrypt then intercept). If active content noticed, need to check skills to see if interception is an option. Tapping in to the other guys tacnet seems like a very good idea, if it become possible. Unlike hacking, capture signal is totally invisible. Wireless version of a shotgun (directional) microphone
They will be running an encrypted tacnet (soldier boys have a separate one to that being run for the gangers). The gangers one is originating from the second of the original APCs. Firewall and encryption 6 for the soldiers, 3 and 4 for the gangers! Intercepting the traffic is one thing, I suspect to falsify it you would need to be in the originating node…

Oh, and just in case you haven’t read the IC yet…all hell is breaking loose!!!
JxJxA
@ Aria: Oh dear. nyahnyah.gif

Well, here's my plan. Call a shot on one of the milspec guys to make him/them the gangers are shooting at them. While they shoot each other to smithereens, I exit stage out of the Citymaster's line of fire. smile.gif

Here's what I'm packing:

Walther MA-2100
Mods: Internal silencer, skinlinked, chameleon coating, improved range finder
Short Range: 0-150m
RC: 1
AP: Base(3) + EX Explosive(1)= 4
DV: Base(7) + EX Explosive(1) = 8P

Free Action: Call a shot on military moron
Simple Action: Shoot said military moron
Simple Action: Shoot unfortunate ganger goon
Move: Quietly and calmly GTFO

Not sure what the bonuses from tacnet or penalties from the called shot and conditions are, so I'll just roll my base and trust you knock off the last dice on whatever modifiers I miss. ^_^

Shot #1: @ Military Moron
Agi(9) + Longarms(5) + Specialty(2) + Smartgun(2) = 18d6 for 4 hits. Edge rerolling misses (just in case) for 5 more hits. Alas, a lot of those hits are at the tail end of the roll. frown.gif

Shot #2: @ Ganger Goon
Agi(9) + Longarms(5) + Specialty(2) + Smartgun(2) - Multiple Target(2) = 16d6 for 6 hits.

Now I'm moving! biggrin.gif
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (JxJxA @ Oct 10 2013, 08:23 PM) *
@ Aria: Oh dear. nyahnyah.gif

.. snip ..

Shot #1: @ Military Moron
Agi(9) + Longarms(5) + Specialty(2) + Smartgun(2) = 18d6 for 4 hits. Edge rerolling misses (just in case) for 5 more hits. Alas, a lot of those hits are at the tail end of the roll. frown.gif

Shot #2: @ Ganger Goon
Agi(9) + Longarms(5) + Specialty(2) + Smartgun(2) - Multiple Target(2) = 16d6 for 6 hits.

Now I'm moving! biggrin.gif
You get an extra 2 dice from tacnet, but minus 2 from visibility modifiers to cancel, assuming you have lowlight. More down if not. The called shot will be GM discretion, since it seems to be intended to make the soldiers think it came from the gangers. SR4A161, last option. LeO used the second called shot option, to increase damage.

In the IC, "C&C" should be Sprogget, or tankkillers. C&C would be mechanicals control center, not the local team. Sprogget has C&C on 'speed dial', but they are not part of the tacnet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012