Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2072 [+4 Months]
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78
Mach_Ten
QUOTE (Notsoevildm @ May 10 2013, 10:55 AM) *
Crow will see the virtual scream Hellraiser monocycle in his AR, it is overtly present! It does flicker out for a second or two when LeFey jams it but then it reappears. Fortunately, it's not doing any 'Bad Stuff' at the moment, so he can ignore it.

Thanks, I'm seeing it as like the Shark from Back to the future (1:06)

a sea of spam of AR advertising and stuff ... not something that there's a lot of in the barrens but still ... regular enough to ignore as such.
Notsoevildm
QUOTE (Mach_Ten @ May 10 2013, 12:32 PM) *
Thanks, I'm seeing it as like the Shark from Back to the future (1:06)

a sea of spam of AR advertising and stuff ... not something that there's a lot of in the barrens but still ... regular enough to ignore as such.
Yeah, it's there in your AR but not real and can't actually affect you (much) as long as you stick to AR. Weird to see in the Barrens but 'safe' to ignore.
Aria
QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ May 10 2013, 08:01 AM) *
By RAW, I think that is 1 drain. Minimum of 2 drain for most any magic action, spell or summoning. Even if the spirit gets zero hits on the summon resist.

Given your qualifier about not harming the Angel/Spirit you might find it does not get as far as you expect. I base that on a recent sprite throwing stunbolts that dispelled from failing drain / excess stun earlier than expected. No IC reason given, but speculation from the context is that the background is causing higher drain.

A stunbolt would also feel a lot like excessive drain through the link to your spirit...just saying ork.gif
Aria
QUOTE (onlyghostdanceswhiledrunk @ May 10 2013, 12:30 AM) *
@aria ok so my actions for 3.1:

i see snag i nuke dat guy!

Free: centering prayer for destruction
Complex: Cast force 5 plasma lance

(the spell that i had custom waaaay back when, elemental effects of both fire and electricity. physical spell) (quarter impact armor (half half again, physical damage cause of fire, resisted as normal then secondary effects apply, (body +will + .5 impact (3) test) if failed the target falls down, is stunned/incapacitated for a number of combat turns = 2+net hits scored on the attack test(not the resist) otherwise suffers -2 to all actions even if the stun test is passed. Also will run the risk of being in flames, impact armorx2 against the ending dv of the spell. if it doesnt get 1 net hit then the gear/person is on fire with the base dmg being the initial rating every combat turn of fire damage. (can go out later turns if the dv is reduced. This spell is super drainy but worth it biggrin.gif

magic 5(4 due to background ct) + spellcasting 5 = 9d6

9d6.hits(5) → [4,5,4,5,5,1,4,3,5] = (4)

so 9P Plasma Damage (Electrical With fire applied last) incoming to the git.

Drain = 5/2 down +5 = 7P (overcasting due to the background)

Resist drain:

3 focus + 2 init + will 5 + cha 8 = 18d6

18d6.hits(5) → [4,6,1,6,3,4,5,3,1,2,2,4,2,4,4,6,5,6] = (6)

Take 1 physical from the drain better than the massive gunshot equivs i couldve had though lol.

Minor point, your focus is rt 2 due to background count so I make that 2 boxes of physical ork.gif

Now I just need to go away and check the rules again to see just what nastiness you've done to poor old defenceless Snag...not that he is poor, old or defenceless but you get my point biggrin.gif
Aria
@E: Promised Land

READ THE IC BEFORE YOU READ THE OoC PLEASE – DON’T WANT TO SPOIL THE SURPRISE ork.gif

Pre-genned Rolls
[ Spoiler ]

Initiative:
Gemeaux 16 (3IPs) Anselm’s Spirit 14 (2IPs) Mordred 12 (3IPs) Father Anselm 10 (3IPs) Copperhead 9 (2IPs)

Combat order:
[ Spoiler ]

JxJxA
@ Aria: Sorry, I totally missed that. I'm happy with a dead slide into the thick of things. smile.gif
onlyghostdanceswhiledrunk
@aria well damn i did forget about that affecting my foci. and man that guy is lucky! hope hes still on fire though. Also well played on that abomination of possession smile.gif. My angel and myself will now be treating snag with extreme prejudice. direct all fire onto that rat bastard from my angel till hes dead please. odds that he could soak that many successes are pretty low. You just want agility? I assumed there was a lip of plascrete i was leaning over.
Aria
QUOTE (onlyghostdanceswhiledrunk @ May 11 2013, 12:47 AM) *
@aria well damn i did forget about that affecting my foci. and man that guy is lucky! hope hes still on fire though. Also well played on that abomination of possession smile.gif. My angel and myself will now be treating snag with extreme prejudice. direct all fire onto that rat bastard from my angel till hes dead please. odds that he could soak that many successes are pretty low. You just want agility? I assumed there was a lip of plascrete i was leaning over.

Smouldering - but also now immune to normal weapons (the fire is no longer magical!) ork.gif

You'll need to find Snag to do that...he's disappeared from view...I should also point out that his aura is mundane and the possessing spirit seemed to come from elsewhere...

There is a lip but the whole thing is crumbling around your ears! Just don't glitch!!!
ok couple things:

By RAW, I think that is 1 drain. Minimum of 2 drain for most any magic action, spell or summoning. Even if the spirit gets zero hits on the summon resist.

Given your qualifier about not harming the Angel/Spirit you might find it does not get as far as you expect. I base that on a recent sprite throwing stunbolts that dispelled from failing drain / excess stun earlier than expected. No IC reason given, but speculation from the context is that the background is causing higher drain.

A stunbolt would also feel a lot like excessive drain through the link to your spirit...just saying ork.gif"'

That makes no sense.... its not more drain than its base force so not really applicable. Also I dont get where your reading the minimum drain = 2 thing. That most certainly is NOT raw from any of the books ive seen. Also the spirit is casting force below its max so its perfectly fine. Raw has nothing against it. Even if it had been i got 1 success so no drain (max i think you are thinking of binding which is spirit successesx2, not summoning which is very different).

If were being picky on rules (which so far several things have happened in IC that are def not by raw) then id like to point out that unless hes the mage, by raw he cant have been possessed by that spirit. If he was a prepared vessel (all sorts of awkward stems from that) then it still isnt line of sight i dont believe? Isnt it a larger test/ extended test for time to inhabit/ possess something that isnt yourself?
QUOTE (Aria @ May 11 2013, 01:59 PM) *
Smouldering - but also now immune to normal weapons (the fire is no longer magical!) ork.gif

You'll need to find Snag to do that...he's disappeared from view...I should also point out that his aura is mundane and the possessing spirit seemed to come from elsewhere...

There is a lip but the whole thing is crumbling around your ears! Just don't glitch!!!

Roger on the agility test however isnt the fire still magical... it uses the force (magic used in it) plus net hits? If not thats no biggy just wondering.
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (onlyghostdanceswhiledrunk @ May 11 2013, 10:07 PM) *
.. snip ..

Given your qualifier about not harming the Angel/Spirit you might find it does not get as far as you expect. I base that on a recent spritespirit throwing stunbolts that dispelled from failing drain / excess stun earlier than expected. No IC reason given, but speculation from the context is that the background is causing higher drain.

A stunbolt would also feel a lot like excessive drain through the link to your spirit...just saying ork.gif"'

That makes no sense.... its not more drain than its base force so not really applicable. Also I dont get where your reading the minimum drain = 2 thing. That most certainly is NOT raw from any of the books ive seen. Also the spirit is casting force below its max so its perfectly fine. Raw has nothing against it. Even if it had been i got 1 success so no drain (max i think you are thinking of binding which is spirit successesx2, not summoning which is very different).
.. snip ..
Here is one reference.
QUOTE (SM118)
A background count-modified Magic attribute counts for all uses of magic, including dice pools and limitations imposed on the Force of spells or spirits. Additionally, the process of gathering and shaping mana is more difficult in areas with background count, so the absolute value of the background count is also added to the Force whenever a character resists magical Drain.
QUOTE (SM119 Flexible Aspect)
.. snip .. gamemaster’s discretion .. snip .. After all, magic has a knack for being unpredictable, and it will keep your players guessing,

For drain:
QUOTE (SR4A188 Summoning Drain)
The Drain Value for Summoning is equal to twice the hits (not net hits) generated by the spirit on the Opposed Summoning Test (minimum 2 DV).
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (onlyghostdanceswhiledrunk @ May 11 2013, 10:09 PM) *
Roger on the agility test however isnt the fire still magical... it uses the force (magic used in it) plus net hits? If not thats no biggy just wondering.
QUOTE (SR4A204 Elemental Effects)
Spells with elemental components also create secondary effects on the environment. For example, a Fireball might start fires, cook off ammo, ignite fuel tanks, and set fire to armor and clothing all over the blast zone. An Acid Stream can melt surrounding material into smoking sludge.
The relevant part of that is start. Secondary effects are triggered by the elemental effect, but secondary effects are not magical / elemental in nature,
QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ May 12 2013, 03:51 PM) *
Here is one reference.

For drain:

Ah I only have sr4 not 4a and it says hits and then 2times hits on binding. Ok so 1 stun then.

About the absolute value being added to force never realized that but will do in the future. Id like to point out though that this hasnt been the case thus far in this thread. Also wasnt aware were using the flexible aspect optional rule. Just so long as everything applies to both sides im aok with that. I view the spirit as a minion but specifically didnt want him to come to extreme (read dead) harm because hes a minion from God nothing more nothing less.
for agi:

2d6.hits(5) → [3,6] = (1)
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (onlyghostdanceswhiledrunk @ May 12 2013, 06:37 PM) *
Ah I only have sr4 not 4a and it says hits and then 2times hits on binding. Ok so 1 stun then.

About the absolute value being added to force never realized that but will do in the future. Id like to point out though that this hasnt been the case thus far in this thread. Also wasnt aware were using the flexible aspect optional rule. Just so long as everything applies to both sides im aok with that. I view the spirit as a minion but specifically didnt want him to come to extreme (read dead) harm because hes a minion from God nothing more nothing less.
I do not know that flexible aspect is specifically being used here. The reference was just to point out that the GM can do unexpected things, and magic is an 'official' candidate for that.
Aria
Without revealing too much, the thing I did was a stunbolt! I'd forgotten the bit about background count adding to drain too...good job I've only made it 1 and not the 2-3 that the books imply it probably should be!!!

@OGDWD: We try and stick to RAW so if you spot a mistake then please let us know! I tend to bull ahead without always checking that carefully so happy to sort any problems that crop up! I think Machine Ghost has answered your questions...?!? The fire is just fire after the initial damage.

As to the agility, one hit is more than enough, although your heart is probably in your mouth for a bit as the ledge crumbles under you ork.gif
Machine Ghost
@NSEDM,

Oh, boy!  What to do/try first?  A couple of IC posts done, assuming that the reconfigure took a bit of time, so the multiple analyze actions needed to inspect the sprite in detail, from multiple perspectives got done in parallel.

Sprogget status: 4 boxes of stun = -1 wounds modifier

Not complaining, but just checking if you are deliberately bypassing standard RAW sequence due to the context.
A normal matrix attack SR4A236 (from a sprite/agent) would be rating+program rating {rating x 2 for a sprite) (minus modifiers like wounds} vs response + firewall (+ hacking for full defense SR4A237)
Then if any net hits, target faces modified DV of program rating + net hits, resisted by willpower + biofeedback (for black IC)
For TM, Shield UW136 complex form rating is added to 'matrix defense pool'.  It is not real clear which pool that is, but I think it is the first pool, since the second is resist instead of defense, and the Armor CF would be part of the resist test, when not black IC. 
Close to this situation example in 'example' at end of SR4A237

Sprogget was interested/curious about >1rtu@l5cr3@m just from the initial news reports.  How it combined with the sprite is just going to increase that.  That makes the data it brought important, but knowing from the analyze that there are 'hours' of media content also means he does not want to sit through the movie while in a combat zone, and while the tribes are being threatened.  He got THAT much (or a strong hint of it at least) just before Hunter returned 'bearing gifts'.
Treating Hunter like a loaded gun, try to make sure the 'saftey' is on.

Torn between wanting to keep Hunter around, to study/learn from/about and getting it to finish its task so it will maybe go away, and make things safe/normal again.  Also remembering the TM Emergence hysteria rather personally, as well as more historical information about unpleasnt reactions to something new.

Communication with Hunter is mental, which I envision as being able to bypass words and language to a great extent.  To that end, I am showing some concepts as word|word|word, where the concept has aspects of the different words.  Also context is provided as a 'gestalt' described as {contect info}.  That could look down right strange, but seems to fit the situation.

From that latest IC, I am not seeing any encrypted data.  Hunter DOES have a decrypt CF.  Has he already decrypted the data, or perhaps >1rtu@l5cr3@m *gave* him the key(s) after the merge?

Post part 2: from previous OOC information, I assume for now that Hunter can be directed not to attack / infect friendly nodes, but can not be directed to attack specified targets either.  He/it will however attack in self defense, or if he feels threatened by the environment (the jammer).  The real question is, can Sprogget get agreement from Hunter to that effect, and understand that agreement?
Notsoevildm
QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ May 14 2013, 12:24 AM) *
@NSEDM,

Oh, boy!  What to do/try first?  A couple of IC posts done, assuming that the reconfigure took a bit of time, so the multiple analyze actions needed to inspect the sprite in detail, from multiple perspectives got done in parallel.
Remember, sprite's got three passes too! But yeah, I tried to work the Analyze results into the post. Sprogget and Hunter are now roughly on the same combat turn.

Sprogget status: 4 boxes of stun = -1 wounds modifier

Not complaining, but just checking if you are deliberately bypassing standard RAW sequence due to the context.
A normal matrix attack SR4A236 (from a sprite/agent) would be rating+program rating {rating x 2 for a sprite) (minus modifiers like wounds} vs response + firewall (+ hacking for full defense SR4A237)
Then if any net hits, target faces modified DV of program rating + net hits, resisted by willpower + biofeedback (for black IC)
For TM, Shield UW136 complex form rating is added to 'matrix defense pool'.  It is not real clear which pool that is, but I think it is the first pool, since the second is resist instead of defense, and the Armor CF would be part of the resist test, when not black IC. 
Close to this situation example in 'example' at end of SR4A237
I'm fudging rolls a bit to keep virtual scream from being either too deadly or too weak, as well as being a bit of an unknown quantity. Assume that Sprogget resisted net hits of 5S with 3 successes (as for Black IC) and just be happy it wasn't physical damage.

Sprogget was interested/curious about >1rtu@l5cr3@m just from the initial news reports.  How it combined with the sprite is just going to increase that.  That makes the data it brought important, but knowing from the analyze that there are 'hours' of media content also means he does not want to sit through the movie while in a combat zone, and while the tribes are being threatened.  He got THAT much (or a strong hint of it at least) just before Hunter returned 'bearing gifts'.
Treating Hunter like a loaded gun, try to make sure the 'saftey' is on.

Torn between wanting to keep Hunter around, to study/learn from/about and getting it to finish its task so it will maybe go away, and make things safe/normal again.  Also remembering the TM Emergence hysteria rather personally, as well as more historical information about unpleasnt reactions to something new.

Communication with Hunter is mental, which I envision as being able to bypass words and language to a great extent.  To that end, I am showing some concepts as word|word|word, where the concept has aspects of the different words.  Also context is provided as a 'gestalt' described as {contect info}.  That could look down right strange, but seems to fit the situation.

From that latest IC, I am not seeing any encrypted data.  Hunter DOES have a decrypt CF.  Has he already decrypted the data, or perhaps >1rtu@l5cr3@m *gave* him the key(s) after the merge?
I like your style of communication, keep it up. Regarding encrypted data, some of the data is encrypted but Frankenhunter is 'smart' enough to derypt those sections on the fly.

Post part 2: from previous OOC information, I assume for now that Hunter can be directed not to attack / infect friendly nodes, but can not be directed to attack specified targets either.  He/it will however attack in self defense, or if he feels threatened by the environment (the jammer).  The real question is, can Sprogget get agreement from Hunter to that effect, and understand that agreement?
Correct. It will not attack except in self defence and Sprogget can sort of order it about. However, it was summoned to hunt information about virtual scream so he can't get it to do something else. A relevant knowledge roll might give him some insight into how to deal with it.
Machine Ghost
@NSEDEM

Doubled NSEDEM IC post here and here

QUOTE (Notsoevildm @ May 14 2013, 03:33 AM) *
.. snip ..
I'm fudging rolls a bit to keep virtual scream from being either too deadly or too weak, as well as being a bit of an unknown quantity. Assume that Sprogget resisted net hits of 5S with 3 successes (as for Black IC) and just be happy it wasn't physical damage.
All Good.  Just wanted to verify that that was the intent.

I like your style of communication, keep it up. Regarding encrypted data, some of the data is encrypted but Frankenhunter is 'smart' enough to derypt those sections on the fly.
Style is specific to mental communication, so only when talking to sprites, and maybe paragon.  I guess internalized thought applies too.  Glad you like it.  I did a post on another [non gaming] forum with an extreme version of that style, and got threatened with bodily harm {grin}.  Autodecrypt was my base assumption.  Since the public news information (I think) said encrypted data, Sprogget can be momentarily puzzled, then realize Frankenhunter is just handling that.  Bonus points to Frankenhunter for common sense and initiative.

Correct. It will not attack except in self defence and Sprogget can sort of order it about. However, it was summoned to hunt information about virtual scream so he can't get it to do something else. A relevant knowledge roll might give him some insight into how to deal with it.
Relevant knowledge?  With what he has seen so far, Sprogget is not trusting his existing knowledge very far, where Frankenhunter is concerned.  Closest knowledge seems to be Matrix Resources (Resonance)(2(4))

Matrix Resources (Resonance), -1 wounds (5d6.hits(5) → [4,2,6,5,4] = (2), 7d6.hits(5) → [6,6,4,3,6,5,6] = (5))
Excellent hits on the specialization smile.gif

That looks like enough background info.  Looks like the 'safety' is on.  Time to move forward.  Cautiously.

Here is a potentially 'sneaky' path.  Sprogget can compile a tutor sprite UW156, which can have a skillsoft/knowledge selected by the TM on compiling.  A second (optional) skillsoft at rating 3.  Make one of those knowledge about >1rtu@l5cr3@m using Frankenhunter as the data source for the knowledge.  Using Frankenhunter like the lifeline UW117 knowsoft program option.  Make the second knowsoft about matrix entities, to help in dealing directly with Frankenhunter, in case the direct knowsoft does not work.  I picked 'entities', since Frankenhuner is unique to Sproggets knowledge, so specific sprite/AI/Agent knowledge is not quite right.  That runs the risk of infecting the new sprite too.  Maybe even before I provide it a task to do, but that is also something Sprogget needs to know.  Initial new sprite would be rating 3 versus 4 for Frankenhunter.

Assuming that works (or even if it doesn't), Sprogget also has the infected Novatech Airware SR4A328 (3, 3, 3, 3) powered off in his backpack.  Will be powering that up as another source of information, and to compare with Frankenhunter (assuming Frankenhunter does not 'eat' it after a connection is made to the node).  The intent is to request Hunter to leave that data source alone for a few seconds, while Sprogget gets access, and does a similar analyze on the single >1rtu@l5cr3@m piece in the 'acquired' teen commlink.  Compare that piece with Frankenhunter, then allow him to access it, and watch the results.  Overlapping posts coming to prep for that.

Compile Tutor Sprite with base and optional Knowsofts >1rtu@l5cr3@m + Matrix entities opposed by Sprite(3) (5d6.hits(5)=1, 3d6.hits(5)=3)
OUCH
Resist Fading(6) (8d6.hits(5)→ [5,6,6,3,4,6,5,1] = (5))
One more stun, now 5
Compile Tutor Sprite with base and optional Knowsofts >1rtu@l5cr3@m + Matrix entities opposed by Sprite(3) (5d6.hits(5)=1, 3d6.hits(5)=2)
Resist Fading(4) (8d6.hits(5) → [6,4,3,1,4,6,6,2] = (3))
One more stun, now 6
Snuff AR76 to get +1 pain tolerance, reducing wounds modifier from -2 to -1
time length for snuff bonus (1d6=2) → 20 minutes
Compile Tutor Sprite with base and optional Knowsofts >1rtu@l5cr3@m + Matrix entities opposed by Sprite(3) (5d6.hits(5)=2, 3d6.hits(5)=1)
Finally! 1 service, buy the 2 hits needed to resist fading

After doing the rolls, I realized I should have added a couple of dice for being in Hot Sim VR. All 'matrix tests' SR4A226 get a +2 bonus for hot sim, and compile sprite SR4A229 is explicitly a matrix action SR4A228 getting the +2 bonus. *If* both had been hits on the 2nd attempt, would have gotten the single task needed there, but that would not have changed the fading any.
Machine Ghost
@NSEDEM

You’re up now smile.gif

Assuming (one of) the knowsoft connections works, opportunity exists to slide in appropriate information I have not thought of for Sprogget to look for.  Some questions that Sprogget *is* now asking himself|his new knowledge:
{Is there any|what is the} meta-data associated with the data that was briefly looked at?
- IE: are there timestamps, geocodes, matrix addresses, people, access IDs -- linked to the data 'clips'.
Is (meta) information about the known 9600+ infected nodes available:
- geocode, infection timestamp, infection source(s), access ID, device ratings, device information (purpose), body part?
One use of that, would be to filter, especially|initially for nodes that might belong to either tribe, or to the attackers in the area immediately around the mall|complex.  If the attackers have infected devices, that might provide a path that can be exploited, either by piggy-backing the ping, or because the device response is reduced by the infection|instance.
Do individual >1rtu@l5cr3@m instances have information about where the infection (for that node) came from?
Can the infection related information be used to trace back to the original source, or at least to the initial round of infections?
Does the infection related information include anything about the nodes that have disappeared?
- did the node they were on go offline? lost matrix access? merge instances to create 1 from 2? got destroyed?
Do|have individual >1rtu@l5cr3@m instances create|d a new instance directly?
Do they attack and create a doorway to load the infection from someplace else?  Where?
Do they supply 'targeting' information, and the actual exploit|infection is done from some other node(s)
Do they use (a form of) teamwork to do the exploits
Would (local) access to an additional >1rtu@l5cr3@m 'body part' improve the knowledge base?  (the crop kids commlink)
How many rating 6 nodes would it take to collect|contain|hold a complete >1rtu@l5cr3@m (versus the single rating 10)
Are there any other sprite+scream fusions in that list of infected nodes, like Frankenhunter?  (IE, could that identify the sprite driving the cab)
Are there any instances of a scream infecting a bionode? (IE can this spot Cipher?): Hunter did say that downloading to a bionode could result in system damage, so Sprogget can wonder how it knows that.
On this timeline, Cipher should be unconscious in the hospital, and may not show as an 'active node'.  Can’t contact|talk to him, till morning (and not until at least the kidnapping, to prevent timewarps), but might be able to look at the sprite.
Are there any (how many) instances of a scream infecting an AI?
Are there any (how many) instances of a scream infecting an Agent (instead of a node)?
Are there any (how many) instances of a scream on nexi?
What is the maximum number of instances of the scream on a single node?
Can instances be deliberately combined, like appears to have happened with Frankenhunter?
How do they 'add' to create the new system rating requirement?  IE 2 rating 3 make a rating 4, or 2 rating 2 make a rating 4, or ... ?

OOC Context: What we have been looking at so far, are mostly individual, single user nodes (commlinks).  Dubstep had a couple of instances on his commlink at the same time, probably both 'less' than the system rating of the commlink.  I have not checked ratings to be sure.  He was 'disinfecting' by moving pieces to a larger system (nexus UW50).
Question: how many pieces could exist simultaneously on a commlink when: same rating as commlink|one rating less than commlink?
How many pieces could exist simultaneously on a multiprocessor (10 for example UW48) nexus when: same rating as nexus system|one rating less than system|one rating higher than system?
Does that very based on the nexus persona limit UW48?
Is system rating or processor limit important?  For standard nodes they are the same, but can be different on nexi.
Depending on nexus answers, Sprogget might consider trying to 'steal' something appropriate, like Gossamer did for the drone body.  Some 'standard' Nexi are listed on UW198.  Custom would be needed for higher response, system ratings, which would get to high availability fast though.

Coming up: Whether the existing knowsoft works or not, ask Hunter if he 'could' reconfigure to directly provide a knowsoft interface to the data (unless the existing setup worked, and that knowledge is already available).  If yes, try using that instead, since it will be rating 4 instead of 3.  Might be better in spite of the reduced response.  If this works but not the original, same questions as above after getting setup.

Sprogget is at -1 wounds modifier for the next 20 minutes IC, until the snuff bonus wears off, then -2.

Information that Sprogget has about the commlink: He had it in his hand, and physically turned it off: Novatech Airware
OOC info provided by Aria
The commlink
The virus piece (second last insert in the quoted content)

Novatech Airware + Iris Orb [R3/Si3/F3/Sy3] + FTL Matrixware Net Wizard Analyze [3] Browse [3] Command [1] Edit [2] Purge [3]
The link has a floating set of male genitalia on it!!! You get access to a typical teen link (I leave you to be as colourful and creative as you like here!). The lad with the gun is simply identified as Mike and there are none of the text messages or other references between friends that you might expect, almost as if it was a professional relationship!

For getting access to the commlink (in a few posts), how much IC and/or dice rolls do you want?  Technically need to hack it after power on, but should be able physically power cycle it to clear any alerts.

Answers in IC or here.  If here, tag with whether the info was available from the knowsoft, or had to ask Frankenhunter directly.  If the knowsoft does not work to provide significant information, I’ll need to prioritize questions for IC, and adjust some based on initial answers.  Sprogget’s focus is still safety of the team, safety of the tribes, now and going forward, with scream coming in a poor third, along with concern for others infected by the scream.  Once get reconfigured, step by step (commlinks back on, LeO drone slaved and added to tacnet, adjust LeO from 'red alert' to 'yellow alert', rest of team invited back to tacnet, he will 'command' the monocycle (as a drone) to keep with the group, and put LeO on point to watch the way ahead), (and adrenaline levels drop a bit) he will be exploring the data and the commlink instance.  Since he is (mostly) running on matrix time, the prep work should all be done by the time the team running in meatspace finishes getting loaded up and ready to move.  I’ll be mixing more E:Tribes posts where appropriate.

Answers from knowsoft provided here can be used IC for Sprogget to do the "Ah! Of Course! That’s how it works!"

I can combine sections of that into single posts, since I know OOC that Frankenhunter is not going to start attacking.  I will make sure to put a break-point when first connecting to LeO though.  Which has a customized node of Response 6, System 6, Firewall 6, Signal 5, in case Frankenhunter starts showing interest in such a nice 'home'.  Better that, than showing him Tweak’s custom commlink first.  Not quite as good as LeO, but still response 5, system 5.
Aria
Quick note: none of the Spined Drakes are likely to be affected...they've mostly been running dark skin link only for the day as they prepare their attack. They are communicating with old tech encrypted radios...seems they were smart enough not to attack a hacker tribe with active wifi!
mister__joshua
QUOTE (Aria @ May 9 2013, 05:32 PM) *
@E:CoP / Mr J

IC up!

I've purposefully kept the ending vague because I want to discuss with you OoC where we go from here. I can shove you along a path or we can explore some more of your character motivations? There are plenty more interesting NPCs up my sleeve to entertain you with but I'd like your help in leading the story smile.gif

I don't mind, I'm comfortable with either route. Is anyone else joining the game? That may affect things.

If it's character motivations, I'm going with bored eccentric. Not too eccentric, not completely mad, but if something interested him he'd follow it through just for lack of anything better to do, and I imagine if he was given a thread he'd pull it until there was nothing left. He'd also a massive hedonist, though you could already tell that. A pleasure seeker, and looking for new experiences and challenges.
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (Aria @ May 15 2013, 02:43 AM) *
Quick note: none of the Spined Drakes are likely to be affected...they've mostly been running dark skin link only for the day as they prepare their attack. They are communicating with old tech encrypted radios...seems they were smart enough not to attack a hacker tribe with active wifi!
Would the bunch that ambushed Jailbreakers have been running the same? Would the team have a chance to discover that while salvaging the weapons? Sprogget ended up rather busy, so he is not going to get a chance to look first hand at the attackers tech. 'Old' tech is a Mechanicals knowledge/interest though. I see several hints to that IC, but don't think anyone currently has all of the pieces. Sprogget did the wifi scan, discovering that they were apparently dark (although the radio signal scanner should have been able to find the radios too), then Scrapheap grabbed the AK and found it to be smartlinked. Combining those details should raise some questions, but Sprogget did not 'publish' the information that he did not find any matrix connections for the Spined Drakes, and he is not yet going to know about that smartlink. Once tacnet is back up, he might notice the capability, even if Scrapheap can not use it. Running a centralized tacnet, basically all matrix/PAN/device data routes through Sprogget, which will include things like ammunition status, selected firing modes, and available settings. The new weapon with smartlink could be enough change from the previous data to attract attention.
Aria
QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ May 15 2013, 04:47 PM) *
Would the bunch that ambushed Jailbreakers have been running the same? Would the team have a chance to discover that while salvaging the weapons? Sprogget ended up rather busy, so he is not going to get a chance to look first hand at the attackers tech. 'Old' tech is a Mechanicals knowledge/interest though. I see several hints to that IC, but don't think anyone currently has all of the pieces. Sprogget did the wifi scan, discovering that they were apparently dark (although the radio signal scanner should have been able to find the radios too), then Scrapheap grabbed the AK and found it to be smartlinked. Combining those details should raise some questions, but Sprogget did not 'publish' the information that he did not find any matrix connections for the Spined Drakes, and he is not yet going to know about that smartlink. Once tacnet is back up, he might notice the capability, even if Scrapheap can not use it. Running a centralized tacnet, basically all matrix/PAN/device data routes through Sprogget, which will include things like ammunition status, selected firing modes, and available settings. The new weapon with smartlink could be enough change from the previous data to attract attention.

They were using old skool milspec microwave radios (gotta love military surplus!). Given they should operate outside the range of usual signals I would think it's not that unusual that you didn't spot them...they are meant to go undetected!

Wouldn't the smartlink need to be linked in for it to appear on your tacnet? Not saying that it won't be but I wouldn't have thought it would automatically subscribe?!?
Aria
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ May 15 2013, 10:54 AM) *
I don't mind, I'm comfortable with either route. Is anyone else joining the game? That may affect things.

If it's character motivations, I'm going with bored eccentric. Not too eccentric, not completely mad, but if something interested him he'd follow it through just for lack of anything better to do, and I imagine if he was given a thread he'd pull it until there was nothing left. He'd also a massive hedonist, though you could already tell that. A pleasure seeker, and looking for new experiences and challenges.

Ok, well I've dangled some threads for you to follow up on...we'll see where you go from here smile.gif

Sadly it looks like nobody else wants to come on board at the moment...

A note to everyone on the prospective 2074 thread...I'm going to shelve that idea for a bit until SR5 comes out (shortly?!?) and probably pick it up there. It's not gone but I'd like to round up the 2072 themes and let NSEDM work through the evil scream smile.gif
ChromeZephyr
Sorry, Aria, I hit a wall with the CoP character that I haven't successfully battered down. I can send you what I've got and wing it from there if another player would help get things moving, though.
Aria
QUOTE (ChromeZephyr @ May 16 2013, 02:45 PM) *
Sorry, Aria, I hit a wall with the CoP character that I haven't successfully battered down. I can send you what I've got and wing it from there if another player would help get things moving, though.

If there's any game that can easily cope with winging it then CoP is the one biggrin.gif
Aria
@E:Tribes:

I'm assuming you will go out on patrol...you will right? Tweak/Spring, feel free to ignore Jazz completely smile.gif LeFey, if you feel brave you can go with your new companions...otherwise I'm happy for you to go inside the mall and meet Prospero, yuor choice!
ChromeZephyr
@Aria:

Scrapheap's going to need convincing to go out on patrol of Fre∑dom turf when there was just a big boom in the direction of his own home. Friends are good and all, but home's home, ya dig?

And here's the CoP character:

Timothy David Herbert, 21st Baron Herbert

20-ish Questions
[ Spoiler ]

Spheres of Influence
[ Spoiler ]

Resources
[ Spoiler ]

Qualities
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts
[ Spoiler ]

Entourage
[ Spoiler ]

Gear
[ Spoiler ]
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (Aria @ May 16 2013, 05:25 AM) *
They were using old skool milspec microwave radios (gotta love military surplus!). Given they should operate outside the range of usual signals I would think it's not that unusual that you didn't spot them...they are meant to go undetected!

Wouldn't the smartlink need to be linked in for it to appear on your tacnet? Not saying that it won't be but I wouldn't have thought it would automatically subscribe?!?
Milspec surplus even more suspicious once noticed. It may not automatically 'subscribe', but tacnet works by making suggestions based on the available (sensor) data and (team) capabilities. It needs to know about ranges, firing modes, ammunition type, counts. When you are on tacnet, your equipment status and capabilities are too. So assuming Scrapheap adds the AK to his own PAN, to access the controls (and ammunition status, gun camera, etc.), through AR instead of just manually, the capability for using a smartlink should be visible as well. Assuming that is enough to catch Sprogget's attention, what can he learn by doing a matrix perception / analyze / observe in detail of the acquired weapon? Even if he starts by only wanting to make sure it does not have any traps for unauthorized users. If it has skinlink, that should be visible too. When actually 'looking'.

If that 'works', I need to get at least a couple of out of sequence (versus Virtual Scream) posts up, to 'find out', speculate, then warn team (and tribes). That may mean physically chasing after Jazz, if she does not respond to a shout, and followup matrix call. I figure Sprogget should be able to run faster than she can. If he does not stumble over his feet again smile.gif First question for Jazz, is who is handling strategy and coordination?, then report specifics, and speculation that someone is 'sponsoring' the Spined Drakes, and that the 'Hunt' may be on again. Followed by a query, if anyone has done a 'close' look at the gear carried by one of the attackers, and a more urgent query about Mechanicals status. Sprogget is with Scrapheap on that. Home is first, unless get overriding directions from Spindle, or other Mechanicals security authority.

EDIT: Integrated tribe teams / standing agreement? LeO has signal 5, so does Tweak's link. Should be able to reach the complex direct. Some of the security team should be using higher rated signal on the links. Be reaching that way for status information. Comm calls could be ignored, but Sprogget should be able to connect directly so some of the Mechanicals infrastructure. Might not be as extensive as what Fre∑dom has, but he should be able to run through the cameras to get some information, and maybe locate someone managing things to get a report / instructions.
ChromeZephyr
Scrap wouldn't automatically add the new AK to his PAN, MG. A, no smartlink chip in his goggles. B, he doesn't want it suddenly broadcasting "I'm STOLEN!" like so much gear does. So he'd be waiting to do that until he can upgrade his goggles (which before going out on patrol would be a good time to do) and also have any tags/software in the gun taken care of. After that, well, finder's keepers and he'd be using the shit out of his new toy.
ChromeZephyr
@NSEDM: Post up for Alex. 13 Karma spent for Initiation. I'm picking the Masking metamagic, it makes the most sense. I'll update my sheet appropriately.

I've left it open to you if you want to do the meet with his cousin IC, or just have me script it in a second post. I'm going to buy a new fake ID, this one at Rating 4. Fake driver's license, register the Manhunter and the Mirage to it, and give it a concealed carry permit.
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (ChromeZephyr @ May 16 2013, 05:13 PM) *
@NSEDM: Post up for Alex. 13 Karma spent for Initiation. I'm picking the Masking metamagic, it makes the most sense. I'll update my sheet appropriately.

I've left it open to you if you want to do the meet with his cousin IC, or just have me script it in a second post. I'm going to buy a new fake ID, this one at Rating 4. Fake driver's license, register the Manhunter and the Mirage to it, and give it a concealed carry permit.
Looks like I have some work to do, to come close to that post for Sprogget's first submersion. Been working on posts for the prep work. This is supposed to be *planned*.
ChromeZephyr
Thank you. smile.gif I didn't think it was that good, really. I wanted to do more, but just kept smacking my head against a writer's block wall and decided to let it go as it was. If I get enough karma by the end to Initiate higher I'm going to try and work some more of the stuff the "figure" was saying into that.
Notsoevildm
QUOTE (ChromeZephyr @ May 17 2013, 02:13 AM) *

Great post! Feel free to run the meet with his cousin. I'll pick up with Harvey's follow-up on the scanner.

Notsoevildm
@Virtual Scream/All
Current status

Aria/Gossamer - Has a couple of leads (CSS, MMO). Down in Crimson Crush territory with Slater. Aria to post/remind me what Gossamer wants to do next!

Mister J/Cipher - Has a couple of leads (CSS, MMO). In nice comfy hospital bed rolling down corridor towards somewhere, accompanied by the odd couple. Hacking hospial systems as he goes. Can spoof POD to interfere with kidnapping or next post from me will be in the parking lot. Mister J to post/let me know what he wants the hospital drone to do!

ChromeZephyr/Alex Bianchi - Initiated while delivering goods back to Harvey. On his way to pick up new ID. Chrome/Notso to post.

Slacker/Dubstep, Phlapjack77/Dante, kahrig/Cat - Cleanup in progress at restaurant. Dante has snagged all the guns and is on overwatch. Dubstep has the tech and Cat is looking cool. Players to post/let me know what they want to do next.

MachineGhost/Sprogget - Frank-Hunter following Sprogget home mostly under his control. Knowsoft feeding info to his head. Notso to post once he finishes reading through MG's giant list of questions!

Uller/The Big Peat - Last seen lurking outside Slicer's possible hiding place. What's that smell coming from that lockup?
Aria
QUOTE (ChromeZephyr @ May 16 2013, 05:52 PM) *
And here's the CoP character:

Timothy David Herbert, 21st Baron Herbert

Great! If you and Mr Joshua would like to get your heads together and plan an opening encounter? A meeting of the Ordo Nobilis might be a good location, somewhere in Oxford, or under Oxford - you know how these dodgy hand shake types like to get together biggrin.gif

Failing that I can insert you both somewhere to interact with one another...lemme know!
Aria
QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ May 16 2013, 06:02 PM) *
Milspec surplus even more suspicious once noticed. It may not automatically 'subscribe', but tacnet works by making suggestions based on the available (sensor) data and (team) capabilities. It needs to know about ranges, firing modes, ammunition type, counts. When you are on tacnet, your equipment status and capabilities are too. So assuming Scrapheap adds the AK to his own PAN, to access the controls (and ammunition status, gun camera, etc.), through AR instead of just manually, the capability for using a smartlink should be visible as well. Assuming that is enough to catch Sprogget's attention, what can he learn by doing a matrix perception / analyze / observe in detail of the acquired weapon? Even if he starts by only wanting to make sure it does not have any traps for unauthorized users. If it has skinlink, that should be visible too. When actually 'looking'.

If that 'works', I need to get at least a couple of out of sequence (versus Virtual Scream) posts up, to 'find out', speculate, then warn team (and tribes). That may mean physically chasing after Jazz, if she does not respond to a shout, and followup matrix call. I figure Sprogget should be able to run faster than she can. If he does not stumble over his feet again smile.gif First question for Jazz, is who is handling strategy and coordination?, then report specifics, and speculation that someone is 'sponsoring' the Spined Drakes, and that the 'Hunt' may be on again. Followed by a query, if anyone has done a 'close' look at the gear carried by one of the attackers, and a more urgent query about Mechanicals status. Sprogget is with Scrapheap on that. Home is first, unless get overriding directions from Spindle, or other Mechanicals security authority.

EDIT: Integrated tribe teams / standing agreement? LeO has signal 5, so does Tweak's link. Should be able to reach the complex direct. Some of the security team should be using higher rated signal on the links. Be reaching that way for status information. Comm calls could be ignored, but Sprogget should be able to connect directly so some of the Mechanicals infrastructure. Might not be as extensive as what Fre∑dom has, but he should be able to run through the cameras to get some information, and maybe locate someone managing things to get a report / instructions.

The whole thing is suspicious! The Spined Drakes got this kit from somewhere, and the radios are a clear indication that they were going up against a hacker tribe otherwise they'd just have used ordinary comms.

Even if Scrapheap doesn't add the gun to his PAN it's pretty clear he has a NEW toy and even cursory examination over his shoulder will tell you lots! If you delve deaper you'll find it doesn't have any particular traps (they haven't been keyed to individual Drakes for example)...it's about as anonymous as such a gun can be. No RFID tags, no markings, almost a blank slate! That might well scream nanofax to you if you get the chance to look closely enough!

Jazz is quite light on her feet and busy but she'll respond to a matrix hail if you make one:
  • Nimbus is handling things from Freedom, coordinating with Cam from the Mechanicals
  • Nobody has retrieved any Spined Drakes yet, they've hit too hard and fast. You lot are the only ones that have successfully taken any down, the other hits were too effective.
  • The Mechs have been hit too but to a lesser extent, more as if to try and stop them helping - hits have been to north and south, away from the Mall to draw defenders away
  • You can check in with the Mechs, you aren't currently part of the organised defense so they are happy for you to go on a roaming sweep to try and find out what the hell is happening. You are advised not to get in over your heads! Nice helpful advice that... biggrin.gif
  • As Jazz said there are big holes in the defence net, both for the Mechs and the Freedomers...it's gonna cost a fortune to patch that lot back up again!

Any other questions lemme know. I'm happy for you all to write this up IC or I will if I get there first...got an IC to write for Gossamer first though!
Aria
QUOTE (Notsoevildm @ May 17 2013, 09:17 AM) *
Great post! Feel free to run the meet with his cousin. I'll pick up with Harvey's follow-up on the scanner.

Second that! Hopefully you'll get to meet up with my character Silk at some point...from your description there are some interesting similarities between their gifts. I've described her as a Pattern adept...
ChromeZephyr
QUOTE (Notsoevildm @ May 17 2013, 02:17 AM) *

QUOTE (Aria @ May 17 2013, 05:27 AM) *
Second that! Hopefully you'll get to meet up with my character Silk at some point...from your description there are some interesting similarities between their gifts. I've described her as a Pattern adept...

Jeez, guys, I'm blushing over here. I'll try and keep up the good work on my posts, it's nice to see that people are enjoying them. Though hopefully they don't take as many smacks against the writer's block wall as that one did. biggrin.gif Aria,I'm only passingly familiar with the Earthdawn Pattern stuff, just laying it out as it feels right to me. If you see something really squirrely can you let me know? There's ample evidence that the Talent in the 6th World is a little different than the 4th and personal traditions are written right into the rules, but I do try for at least a small degree of accuracy to previous work. NSEDM, I'll write up a post for the meeting with his cousin tonight.

QUOTE (Aria @ May 17 2013, 05:05 AM) *
Great! If you and Mr Joshua would like to get your heads together and plan an opening encounter? A meeting of the Ordo Nobilis might be a good location, somewhere in Oxford, or under Oxford - you know how these dodgy hand shake types like to get together biggrin.gif

Failing that I can insert you both somewhere to interact with one another...lemme know!

I'll PM him and see if our characters would have any reason to be in the same room without being tied up and put there. grinbig.gif Timmy-boy's a bit more of an ascetic than Mr.Bonks-With-Drakes over there. rotfl.gif
Aria
QUOTE (Notsoevildm @ May 17 2013, 09:54 AM) *
@Virtual Scream/All
Current status

Aria/Gossamer - Has a couple of leads (CSS, MMO). Down in Crimson Crush territory with Slater. Aria to post/remind me what Gossamer wants to do next!

@NSEDM: I wasn’t going to make any rolls for finding the android just yet (it’s in Rigger 4 which is free to download…), it’s a replacement for my body which you so heartlessly rendered unusable (biggrin.gif)

Karma expenditure: I think it will cost me one karma to add the mute option to my Exploit inherent program…TBC…!

Broad matrix search for info on the two targets:
Data search+Browse+VR=11D
11d6.hits(5) → [5,6,5,3,6,2,3,5,1,3,1] = (5)
11d6.hits(5) → [2,6,6,3,6,6,4,1,6,2,5] = (6)
11d6.hits(5) → [4,5,5,5,6,1,2,1,4,5,1] = (5)
11d6.hits(5) → [3,3,3,4,6,2,1,6,3,3,3] = (2)
11d6.hits(5) → [5,4,3,3,1,3,1,5,5,1,6] = (4)

Probe [1hr interval] for admin account (target hits Firewall+6 for admin) node gets single analyse + firewall vs stealth 6
Exploit+Hacking+Spec+VR+Sapper=17D
17d6.hits(5) → [2,4,4,6,4,1,6,2,6,4,2,2,3,6,6,1,2] = (5)
17d6.hits(5) → [1,1,2,1,5,4,6,6,5,4,5,6,1,5,2,4,3] = (7) Firewall 1
17d6.hits(5) → [2,1,1,3,3,5,6,4,3,3,4,5,6,5,4,6,2] = (6) Firewall 7
17d6.hits(5) → [6,5,5,4,5,4,4,2,4,4,6,1,1,6,4,3,3] = (6)
17d6.hits(5) → [5,6,5,5,1,3,3,6,1,2,1,4,2,5,6,5,6] = (9)

Probe on second target (if I have time)
Exploit+Hacking+Spec+VR+Sapper=17D
17d6.hits(5) → [2,1,1,3,4,6,4,5,4,1,1,4,5,4,6,1,4] = (4)
17d6.hits(5) → [1,6,2,4,6,2,4,2,3,4,2,4,6,1,1,4,6] = (4) Firewall 2
17d6.hits(5) → [3,1,3,1,5,3,6,4,4,4,5,5,2,4,3,1,6] = (5) Firewall 7
17d6.hits(5) → [1,6,2,3,2,5,1,1,5,1,5,6,1,1,2,4,2] = (5)
17d6.hits(5) → [5,2,3,5,4,4,4,6,1,5,5,1,5,2,4,4,4] = (6)
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (Notsoevildm @ May 17 2013, 02:54 AM) *
@Virtual Scream/All
Current status
.. snip ..
MachineGhost/Sprogget - Frank-Hunter following Sprogget home mostly under his control. Knowsoft feeding info to his head. Notso to post once he finishes reading through MG's giant list of questions!
.. snip ..
Oh, Good!  That must mean that the knowsoft actually worked the way I/Sprogget thought it could.

You can shorten that some.  Sprogget has lots of questions, but you can arrange for some of the information to jump out and grab his attention before he gets to the rest of the questions.  This is new/sudden knowledge, so he might not remember it all at once.  It is more of a cascade chain, where the most important / obvious things will be first, triggering thoughts to link to more memories.  Like I said, Sprogget’s first priority is safety of the team and tribes.  If you want to start with some high level info OOC, I’ll use it for IC, while working to get tacnet backup for the Jailbreakers.

QUOTE (Aria @ May 17 2013, 05:24 AM) *
The whole thing is suspicious!  The Spined Drakes got this kit from somewhere, and the radios are a clear indication that they were going up against a hacker tribe otherwise they'd just have used ordinary comms. 

Even if Scrapheap doesn't add the gun to his PAN it's pretty clear he has a NEW toy and even cursory examination over his shoulder will tell you lots!  If you delve deaper you'll find it doesn't have any particular traps (they haven't been keyed to individual Drakes for example)...it's about as anonymous as such a gun can be.  No RFID tags, no markings, almost a blank slate!  That might well scream nanofax to you if you get the chance to look closely enough!

Jazz is quite light on her feet and busy but she'll respond to a matrix hail if you make one:
  • Nimbus is handling things from Freedom, coordinating with Cam from the Mechanicals
  • Nobody has retrieved any Spined Drakes yet, they've hit too hard and fast.  You lot are the only ones that have successfully taken any down, the other hits were too effective.
  • The Mechs have been hit too but to a lesser extent, more as if to try and stop them helping - hits have been to north and south, away from the Mall to draw defenders away
  • You can check in with the Mechs, you aren't currently part of the organised defense so they are happy for you to go on a roaming sweep to try and find out what the hell is happening.  You are advised not to get in over your heads!  Nice helpful advice that... biggrin.gif
  • As Jazz said there are big holes in the defence net, both for the Mechs and the Freedomers...it's gonna cost a fortune to patch that lot back up again!

Any other questions lemme know.  I'm happy for you all to write this up IC or I will if I get there first...got an IC to write for Gossamer first though!
And 'we' rushed the cleanup, to get moving after the info about other attacks, so did not take the time for a good look at what they were using.

I’ll get started with IC.  'Over the shoulder' works fine, since as tacnet comes back up, the video sensor feeds will show it, either from Scrapheapt’s PAN, or from other team members as he gets back in the van with them.  Maybe even Sprogett’s own PAN as Scrapheap walks by to the van, since he has been keeping an open VR window to the pan information while working with Hunter.  Tacnet is going to flag that weapon initially, since although Scrapheap is carrying it, it is not shown as belonging to the team resources (since he is not adding it to the PAN yet).  One detail to verify: does that AK have both smartlink and skinlink?  And maybe wireless access disabled (so it would not show up for the signal scanner)?  If it has been modified to use microwave for wireless connection, instead of skinlink, that is going to answer a lot of questions in a hurry, that looking at the Spined Drakes gear would have gotten to.

@E:tribes,
Idea: Spring probably wants some time with a med-kit / doctor before going out again (if Spring and Tweak ARE going out).  If our 'sweep' gets us to the complex, he might even get some magical healing from Oyl.  Scrapheap was talking about a smartlink upgrade for his googles.  That should give Sprogget a chance for a good look at Scrapheap’s new toy, and do the calls to report initial suspicions, and get leave/permission/direction from Cam to continue from here instead of heading home immediately.

Looks like I have about 5 posts to do all at once, and that does not even count the time shift to do the prep work for submersion.  Speaking of which, the first post of that is ready to go.  Just some internal thoughts about improving, and a 'conversation' with Daedalus paragon.  The next one though is intended to be call to Jazz, to ask about the Fre∑dom TM's and resonance networks.  Even if they didn't have (OOC info) a small guild 'in house', that would be the obvious place for Sprogget to start the search.  Since in the current timeline, Sprogget did not know Jazz was a TM, do you want me to call someone else first?  Have her redirect me to Prospero without saying much?  Other?  The goal here is to see if Sprogget can learn about/join the Fre∑dom resonance guild, then followup with hints for looking for a Free Sprite to have a chat with.
Machine Ghost
@Aria
There, 4 big IC posts. Number 5 needs a little input from NSEDM first. I left the final call to Cam open. I think there is an explosion about to happen, and suspect it is supposed to take down matrix access. Again. So you pick the timing. If the comm call does not go though, Sprogget will be trying to route direct using the higher powered signal of LeO, and maybe Tweak's comm (because LeO is using a non standard signal). No need to give the GM any extra ideas, so I'll leave it there.

Just a thought here. My visualization of matrix connectivity for both Fre∑dom and Mechanicals, includes several (at least 4) rating 4 (signal range 6) directional antennas, to reach the more stable network outside of Puyallup. It would be trivial to point one of those each way to get a direct connection between the complex and the mall. Even if neither had access to the greater matrix. Due to differences in goals, I expect the Mechanicals antennas to all be in the central security office, and Fre∑dom's to be spread around the mall
mister__joshua
QUOTE (Notsoevildm @ May 17 2013, 10:54 AM) *
@Virtual Scream/All
Current status

Mister J/Cipher - Has a couple of leads (CSS, MMO). In nice comfy hospital bed rolling down corridor towards somewhere, accompanied by the odd couple. Hacking hospial systems as he goes. Can spoof POD to interfere with kidnapping or next post from me will be in the parking lot. Mister J to post/let me know what he wants the hospital drone to do!

Yeah, sorry. Been busy lately. I'll get around to this as soon as I can smile.gif
Aria
QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ May 17 2013, 06:10 PM) *
<snip>

And 'we' rushed the cleanup, to get moving after the info about other attacks, so did not take the time for a good look at what they were using.

I’ll get started with IC.  'Over the shoulder' works fine, since as tacnet comes back up, the video sensor feeds will show it, either from Scrapheapt’s PAN, or from other team members as he gets back in the van with them.  Maybe even Sprogett’s own PAN as Scrapheap walks by to the van, since he has been keeping an open VR window to the pan information while working with Hunter.  Tacnet is going to flag that weapon initially, since although Scrapheap is carrying it, it is not shown as belonging to the team resources (since he is not adding it to the PAN yet).  One detail to verify: does that AK have both smartlink and skinlink?  And maybe wireless access disabled (so it would not show up for the signal scanner)?  If it has been modified to use microwave for wireless connection, instead of skinlink, that is going to answer a lot of questions in a hurry, that looking at the Spined Drakes gear would have gotten to.

@E:tribes,
Idea: Spring probably wants some time with a med-kit / doctor before going out again (if Spring and Tweak ARE going out).  If our 'sweep' gets us to the complex, he might even get some magical healing from Oyl.  Scrapheap was talking about a smartlink upgrade for his googles.  That should give Sprogget a chance for a good look at Scrapheap’s new toy, and do the calls to report initial suspicions, and get leave/permission/direction from Cam to continue from here instead of heading home immediately.

Looks like I have about 5 posts to do all at once, and that does not even count the time shift to do the prep work for submersion.  Speaking of which, the first post of that is ready to go.  Just some internal thoughts about improving, and a 'conversation' with Daedalus paragon.  The next one though is intended to be call to Jazz, to ask about the Fre∑dom TM's and resonance networks.  Even if they didn't have (OOC info) a small guild 'in house', that would be the obvious place for Sprogget to start the search.  Since in the current timeline, Sprogget did not know Jazz was a TM, do you want me to call someone else first?  Have her redirect me to Prospero without saying much?  Other?  The goal here is to see if Sprogget can learn about/join the Fre∑dom resonance guild, then followup with hints for looking for a Free Sprite to have a chat with.

Ok, that was an epic load of IC to read smile.gif ...minor note, you refer to Scrapheap's new weapon on occasion as an HK...it isn't! That's quite a distinctive difference to the AK (Kalashnikov)...the AK is much more third world street chic, child soldier look, the HK is more likely to be in the hands of a corp or merc! I think we are both visualising the same thing I just wanted to make sure...?!?

There is a res guild in Fre∑dom, Jazz isn't part of it because she prefers the reality of the drone mesh rather than the more esoteric. That's not to say you couldn't join them! There is a resonance well in the mall which is one of the reasons they are there. Of the 65 or so Fre∑dom crew probably only 10-15 are TMs though, the rest are more mundane hackers / hangers on...if you were intending to speak to someone before current events in the timeline then Tweak is as good as anyone. He's not in the guild either yet, too young (?!?), but could have directed you to Nimbus perhaps (to avoid having too many more NPCs to keep track of smile.gif)

Regarding the clearing up of the Spines...I really did want to push you along...you can always go back to loot their corpses if you want, I just thought an attack on your homes might take priority??? nyahnyah.gif I was also trying to gloss over any D&D style raiding of dead things...if you want to though, who am I to stop you [GM get's ready to make a slew of composure tests for rifling through the blood soaked remains of children your own age ork.gif)?!?

QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ May 18 2013, 05:37 AM) *
@Aria
There, 4 big IC posts. Number 5 needs a little input from NSEDM first. I left the final call to Cam open. I think there is an explosion about to happen, and suspect it is supposed to take down matrix access. Again. So you pick the timing. If the comm call does not go though, Sprogget will be trying to route direct using the higher powered signal of LeO, and maybe Tweak's comm (because LeO is using a non standard signal). No need to give the GM any extra ideas, so I'll leave it there.

Just a thought here. My visualization of matrix connectivity for both Fre∑dom and Mechanicals, includes several (at least 4) rating 4 (signal range 6) directional antennas, to reach the more stable network outside of Puyallup. It would be trivial to point one of those each way to get a direct connection between the complex and the mall. Even if neither had access to the greater matrix. Due to differences in goals, I expect the Mechanicals antennas to all be in the central security office, and Fre∑dom's to be spread around the mall

The explosion is unlikely to disrupt comms again...as you say, direct links between the two groups are easy to maintain. You get through to Cam fine, will add that in to the next IC post!
Aria
QUOTE (ChromeZephyr @ May 17 2013, 03:10 PM) *
Jeez, guys, I'm blushing over here. I'll try and keep up the good work on my posts, it's nice to see that people are enjoying them. Though hopefully they don't take as many smacks against the writer's block wall as that one did. biggrin.gif Aria,I'm only passingly familiar with the Earthdawn Pattern stuff, just laying it out as it feels right to me. If you see something really squirrely can you let me know? There's ample evidence that the Talent in the 6th World is a little different than the 4th and personal traditions are written right into the rules, but I do try for at least a small degree of accuracy to previous work. NSEDM, I'll write up a post for the meeting with his cousin tonight.

When I said Silk was a Pattern adept that should probably have been a small 'P' as there are only tenuous links with ED at the moment...that will perhaps follow down the line smile.gif I do love the ED links though so keep 'em coming biggrin.gif

Perhaps you will be of interest to Aria, Ryl etc in game... ork.gif I've been dropping hints through the 2072 thread and in my other games...happy hunting!
ChromeZephyr
QUOTE (Aria @ May 20 2013, 06:03 AM) *
When I said Silk was a Pattern adept that should probably have been a small 'P' as there are only tenuous links with ED at the moment...that will perhaps follow down the line smile.gif I do love the ED links though so keep 'em coming biggrin.gif

Perhaps you will be of interest to Aria, Ryl etc in game... ork.gif I've been dropping hints through the 2072 thread and in my other games...happy hunting!

Anyone else read a threat into that last bit, or was it just me? nyahnyah.gif Tenuous is about the level of connection I've got, mainly through poor memory of the couple games of ED I ever played back in the day. smile.gif

Switching gears to Scrapheap, is it an AK carbine like Machine Ghost is saying, or is it the assault rifle? I thought it was the assault rifle, I'll modify the ammo amount I have if it's the SMG.
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (Aria @ May 20 2013, 05:00 AM) *
Ok, that was an epic load of IC to read smile.gif  ...minor note, you refer to Scrapheap's new weapon on occasion as an HK...it isn't!  That's quite a distinctive difference to the AK (Kalashnikov)...the AK is much more third world street chic, child soldier look, the HK is more likely to be in the hands of a corp or merc!  I think we are both visualising the same thing I just wanted to make sure...?!?
My Bad.  I did not have the exact reference handy, and when I did a quick lookup, I ended up one line further down than I should have.  I gather this as an AK-97 Carbine, modified with gas vent(2?), skinlink, and external smartlink, wireless disabled.  Edited IC posts.  I think I caught all of the HKs.

There is a res guild in Fre∑dom, Jazz isn't part of it because she prefers the reality of the drone mesh rather than the more esoteric.  That's not to say you couldn't join them!  There is a resonance well in the mall which is one of the reasons they are there. Of the 65 or so Fre∑dom crew probably only 10-15 are TMs though, the rest are more mundane hackers / hangers on...if you were intending to speak to someone before current events in the timeline then Tweak is as good as anyone.  He's not in the guild either yet, too young (?!?), but could have directed you to Nimbus perhaps (to avoid having too many more NPCs to keep track of smile.gif)
OK, Tweak to point to Nimbus.  Nimbus is a TM?  Guild member?  Anyway, I'll get some posts out, up to where Sprogget is ready to actually ask about [knowledge of] the resonance networks.  I'll get you to handle Nimbus response/the conversation (depending how fast you want it to move).  Initial assumption is that Tweak would have passed over to Nimbus without saying that some of Fre∑dom already were a guild.

Regarding the clearing up of the Spines...I really did want to push you along...you can always go back to loot their corpses if you want, I just thought an attack on your homes might take priority??? nyahnyah.gif  I was also trying to gloss over any D&D style raiding of dead things...if you want to though, who am I to stop you [GM get's ready to make a slew of composure tests for rifling through the blood soaked remains of children your own age ork.gif)?!?
Not too worried about the children aspect.  A lot of the gangers are going to be young.  If they are waving weapons around 'with intent', they are valid targets.  Sprogget grew up in / on the edge of the barrens.  Plus a 16 year old ork is no child.  Plus 2, there were a couple left alive that should have been talked to (if they were not too deeply unconscious).  I rather expect that by the time we could get back to the ambush scene, anything interesting will be gone.  Unless the gangers have zero loyalty to other members, they will haul the injured away as soon as it is clear, and they are also likely to be after that hot new tech they have been using, and already know what to grab.

The explosion is unlikely to disrupt comms again...as you say, direct links between the two groups are easy to maintain.  You get through to Cam fine, will add that in to the next IC post!
Sprogget needs more / other drones for doing 'sweeps' in hostile territory.  Now how am I going to pick that up IC?  Something else to get from Fre∑dom I guess.  LeO has good firepower, but something with better sensors when looking for traps and ambushes.  Fly-Spy, or better Dragonfly looks good for walking speed patrol, but not really fast enough if driving.  Crawler is possible for slow patrol (speed 50).  Roto-drone and doberman for faster patrols.  Well I should have a couple more IC posts before I need to have specs.  I figure I can pick something up when I bring LeO down to reload.  Assuming LeO does not glitch when I try to take him out again!  Got to get to the shop, got to get to the shop smile.gif

How much / how fast could Sprogget repair the monocycle, from the electrical damage. Using hardware and automotive toolkits? Plus what he (and Spring/Tweak) could quickly scavenge from the Fre∑dom shop/supplies? Juryrigger RC98 quality could apply here, to get a temporary (handling) boost (compensate for damage negatives), without actual full repair.

Coming up: Assuming Sprogget (or others) get a decent look at that radio gear, it should be possible to tune/adjust the radio signal scanner to detect them. They have to be detectable at some level, for the intended receivers to get the signal. That can be minimized by only have a (detectable) signal active when actually in use for communications, but to use with tacnet would need an always on connection.
ChromeZephyr
@Aria: New post up, sheet upgraded with new gear. Let me know if what I did isn't kosher. I'll put up a post for E:CoP tomorrow.

@NSEDM: Post up for Alex, ready to move on. Sheet edited with new gear. Is ¥400 an acceptable finder's fee? I can alter that, it just seemed like a good number.
Machine Ghost
@Aria,
Sprogget is ready to have Nimbus call back, after Tweak passes the message along. I think I/Sprogget am/is all caught up on the planned stuff. Just need to reload LeO, and decide what drone(s) to add to the collection. I have some spec'd out. Sensor platforms, so not near as expensive/involved as LeO.

Since Oyl has been published, it might be possible to use her / her contacts with the street, to find out more about what the Spined Drakes have been up to recently, and where they are calling home / operating from.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012