Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2072 [+4 Months]
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78
Aria
QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ Aug 14 2013, 01:05 AM) *
I expect that the 'examine the gangers bikes' did not show up anything surprising. This will be standard type of equipment to be expected of the Spined Drakes class of ganger. Only the communications gear and weapons are new and improved?

The ‘jamming on the fly’ UN105 is an opposed test, Electronic Warfare+Signal-(1 per 5 meters) vs Electronic Warfare+Signal+ECCM. Banjo drone in autonomous mode will have a 15 dice pool. G'Eye and LeO do not do as well, as I did not get the Electronic Warefare autosofts added to them. Sprogget will have a 9 dice pool after threading ECCM(2), using skinlink to get access to signal 5 wireless adapter. Rigging LeO, using his own Electronic Warfare skill, and LeO's ECCM, gets a 13 dice pool. In general, people with decent gear should not have too much problem, although access to the sensors around the jamming will be blocked, since they are unlikely to have Electronic Warefare autosoft, or ECCM. To block access to Nimbus, and other people would need some fairly high rated signal level devices subverted inside the Mall (that 1 rating per 5 meter jamming signal level drop), and even then ECCM would probably cut through it.
IC paused at the point where it would be convenient for Sprogget to notice the jamming pending clarification of intent. Banjo is currently 200 meters closer to that latest explosion than the rest of team, and the just sent message delivery will fail for Nimbus per your previous OOC.
Sprogget also has a rating 6 'real' area jammer. Idea: get that into Banjo's storage compartment, and send him in to (maybe) do some 'smarter' jamming, and act as non-jammed eyes. Banjo has a radio signal scanner, which should have no problem finding where the source of the very noisy jamming on the fly is coming from (if it continues very long). Travel routes limited by the storm, and current need to keep low to stay out of the way of lightning. LeO would not need to get close enough to be jammed (signal falls to 0 at source signal rating * 5 meters), to be effective with the Ares Alpha.
’Jamming on the fly’ was an off-the cuff remark intended to convey the fact that you seem to have lost touch with Fre∑dom and there is a lot of noise coming from the mall. OoC my intention is that the Disonants have launched a Jabberwocky munition at the mall (I think this might have come from SR3 but not sure?!?)…it’s essentially a load of ‘bomblettes’ that are individual jammers designed to wipe out comms across a battlefield area – yes, they are as expensive as they sound! There is probably some active jamming from the Disonants too when they find a signal that is trying to punch through. They’ve well and truly compromised the Fre∑dom mesh so should be able to turn it back on itself. The gaps they’ve created were mostly a distraction to mask what they were really up to!

The explosion – when you get there eventually – has made a large hole in the side of the mall.

This is part of my metaplot to stone age the Fre∑dom and Mechs in preparation for SR5 as you seemed to be a bit too well off for gritty street level stuff…not that I object, your plans for the hospital, gardens etc are great, I just want to make it a bit more of a struggle! Can’t have life too easy you know – this is the barrens! That way your achievements as a PC mean more (to my mind anyway).

Regarding Sprogget’s submersion – I’m keen to RP through that with you but given that 2072 seems to only really be the Tribes thread I’d quite like to begin the shift to SR5 soon if that’s agreeable and you’ll get an IC thread all to yourselves! The submersion stuff could happen there if you like (in flashback or real time for higher grades???)

Don’t know if you’ve read the SR5 matrix rules yet (next on my list!) but something about the changes to Grids etc might be interesting for Sprogget to explore?

Scrapheap would be a welcome addition to the party now he’s back and hopefully we can drum up some new players with an interest in the game! Would be nice to have another Fre∑domer although Sprogget neatly bridges that gap with a foot in both camps!

@Chrome: I’ll try and kick Mr Awesome back to life – I confess I’ve lost track of CoP a bit and suspect he has too nyahnyah.gif As with E:Tribes I’d be happy to move you to SR5 as a fresh start with your own IC thread and possibly some new recruits (rules won’t change at all as there aren’t really any)? Would make spotting updates easier on everyone and we can always run your conversation with Ryl in flashback from there, possibly with a followup chat once the new matrix protocols are in place?!
Mach_Ten
I've downloaded the Quick Start rules from CGL but can, on first skim read, not see any char gen rules and such

if someone with the book wants/has time/wouldn't mind helping a chummer out and convert Crow to SR5 on my behalf ? it'd be appreciated and rewarded with many internet cookies ! biggrin.gif
Aria
QUOTE (Mach_Ten @ Aug 14 2013, 02:30 PM) *
I've downloaded the Quick Start rules from CGL but can, on first skim read, not see any char gen rules and such

if someone with the book wants/has time/wouldn't mind helping a chummer out and convert Crow to SR5 on my behalf ? it'd be appreciated and rewarded with many internet cookies ! biggrin.gif

There's a conversion doc on DriveThru. Won't help with equipment much but is a starting point. I could probably fill in the rest for you...
Mach_Ten
QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ Aug 14 2013, 08:17 PM) *
@Drakehunters[Sprogget]: <<Crow, let that last one escape, but try not to let him think he was allowed to escape. Make him duck a bit. He has no way of know how good, or how many are against him here. Let him assume that we got the others from surprise.>>

plink two shots off the ground near him, I'm hoping to leave the reaining bike for my own transportation
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (Mach_Ten @ Aug 14 2013, 02:56 PM) *
plink two shots off the ground near him, I'm hoping to leave the reaining bike for my own transportation
That is valid content for an IC post.
Mach_Ten
QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ Aug 14 2013, 11:07 PM) *
That is valid content for an IC post.

yup but wanted to drop it here for now as I'm going to bed and let Aria move things along rather than wait for a single shot smile.gif

night night
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (Mach_Ten @ Aug 14 2013, 03:08 PM) *
yup but wanted to drop it here for now as I'm going to bed and let Aria move things along rather than wait for a single shot smile.gif

night night
Lot's of things happening. No waiting needed smile.gif Being slightly out of time sync is common here.

@Aria,

Another chapter in the book, with at least one more waiting in the wings.

In addition to the raw information acquired 'recently' IC, Sprogget has the analytical mind quality, and knowledge Matrix Resources(Resonance)(2/4), to base that IC post on.

QUOTE (Aria @ Aug 14 2013, 04:50 AM) *
..snip..
Regarding Sprogget’s submersion – I’m keen to RP through that with you but given that 2072 seems to only really be the Tribes thread I’d quite like to begin the shift to SR5 soon if that’s agreeable and you’ll get an IC thread all to yourselves! The submersion stuff could happen there if you like (in flashback or real time for higher grades???)

Don’t know if you’ve read the SR5 matrix rules yet (next on my list!) but something about the changes to Grids etc might be interesting for Sprogget to explore?

Scrapheap would be a welcome addition to the party now he’s back and hopefully we can drum up some new players with an interest in the game! Would be nice to have another Fre∑domer although Sprogget neatly bridges that gap with a foot in both camps!
..snip..
Talented fellow that Sprogget smile.gif

SR5 reading on my list too.  I've read (but not 'learned') the preview information.  I've got the quick start, but have not looked at it yet.

Flashback for the submersion prep works, (while eBreeze is still alive) but the current plans for the submersion itself are going to get derailed if the resonance guild gets disrupted too badly.  The 'plan' was to do the submersion after Sprogget gets some rest.  Like tomorrow morning.  Delaying him enough to connect with Cipher [if the scream thread starts up again] on his timeline.

higher grades? Is the plan to have significant time pass during the switch over, and have karma to spend as part of that?

I think I saw a reference to the S55 thread here earlier, but it has vanished in my references.
Aria
QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ Aug 15 2013, 09:30 AM) *
higher grades? Is the plan to have significant time pass during the switch over, and have karma to spend as part of that?

I think I saw a reference to the SR5 thread here earlier, but it has vanished in my references.

The SR5 Thread is set in 2075 so there will be some time elapse which you could have gained more than one initiation...I suspect from your post count you are likely to be able to afford 2 grades from that alone...I'm not intending to dish out extra karma, any new players will already be at a slight disadvantage as I want them to use the 'street' level character gen for E:Tribes 2075
Machine Ghost
@Mach_Ten,

In case you missed it in that big post, there is an IC query directed at Crow at the end.

If Crow does have the appropriate background implied by some of the IC content I have seen (but Sprogget has not), there could be an opportunity for Crow to get more involved in this scene, as Sprogget picks his brain about things military, and ways to proceed.
Mach_Ten
QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ Aug 15 2013, 07:41 PM) *
@Mach_Ten,

In case you missed it in that big post, there is an IC query directed at Crow at the end.

If Crow does have the appropriate background implied by some of the IC content I have seen (but Sprogget has not), there could be an opportunity for Crow to get more involved in this scene, as Sprogget picks his brain about things military, and ways to proceed.

Got it

Knowledge Gangs Military
(6d6.hits(5)=3,
6d6.hits(5)=0)

Intimidation
(4d6.hits(5)=1)

Machine Ghost
@Mach_Ten,

What Sprogget actually meant, was to get information to narrow down what was in the field, by interpreting what was said by someone who did not really know what they were seeing. "The top cat had these funny tabs on his collar" translated to "that should be a corporal, and he probably has 15 men in his group. Vague equipment descriptions narrowed to likely actual gear. Ask questions that will pull out the details that will actually mean something useful in figuring out the opposition abilities. That sort of thing. Real question and answer would take a lot of IC, but can be shorted by starting it, then adding 3rd person commentary to describe the intent, and let Aria decide how well that would work in the context.

But whatever works.

I figured from the context, that the kid was about ready to talk. It was more a matter of getting information the kid does know even know he has.
Mach_Ten
QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ Aug 16 2013, 02:13 AM) *
@Mach_Ten,

What Sprogget actually meant, was to get information to narrow down what was in the field, by interpreting what was said by someone who did not really know what they were seeing. "The top cat had these funny tabs on his collar" translated to "that should be a corporal, and he probably has 15 men in his group. Vague equipment descriptions narrowed to likely actual gear. Ask questions that will pull out the details that will actually mean something useful in figuring out the opposition abilities. That sort of thing. Real question and answer would take a lot of IC, but can be shorted by starting it, then adding 3rd person commentary to describe the intent, and let Aria decide how well that would work in the context.

But whatever works.

I figured from the context, that the kid was about ready to talk. It was more a matter of getting information the kid does know even know he has.

My interrogation techniques are rusty biggrin.gif
He is intelligent, but was just a grunt, not officer so takes subtle hints like Sproggets as more literal than you may have intended, mainly due to training.

Plus Crow would rather have eyes on the location and do the "assumptions" himself than trust the word of just a street kid,
nothing wrong with putting the fear of Scrap' into him though!

lastly, as you said it's a long process that my IC was meant to begin opening him up...
the dice gods have let me down somewhat so up to Aria whether we get anything useful
Aria
QUOTE (Mach_Ten @ Aug 16 2013, 10:21 AM) *
My interrogation techniques are rusty biggrin.gif
He is intelligent, but was just a grunt, not officer so takes subtle hints like Sproggets as more literal than you may have intended, mainly due to training.

Plus Crow would rather have eyes on the location and do the "assumptions" himself than trust the word of just a street kid,
nothing wrong with putting the fear of Scrap' into him though!

lastly, as you said it's a long process that my IC was meant to begin opening him up...
the dice gods have let me down somewhat so up to Aria whether we get anything useful

I always prefer RP to die so don't worry about your rolls too much - ask the right sort of questions and he will answer them...alternatively go and look for yourselves! It'll be much better intel that way!
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (Aria @ Aug 16 2013, 04:49 AM) *
I always prefer RP to die so don't worry about your rolls too much - ask the right sort of questions and he will answer them...alternatively go and look for yourselves! It'll be much better intel that way!
Sure, go look. But a bit of information about what to expect and avoid could save a lot of trouble. OOC post coming with prep/plans for that, for others to weigh in on.
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (Aria @ Aug 15 2013, 09:33 AM) *
The SR5 Thread is set in 2075 so there will be some time elapse which you could have gained more than one initiation...I suspect from your post count you are likely to be able to afford 2 grades from that alone...I'm not intending to dish out extra karma, any new players will already be at a slight disadvantage as I want them to use the 'street' level character gen for E:Tribes 2075
OK, 2075 OOC added to my viewed topics.  It won't sneak away again.

QUOTE (Aria @ Jul 11 2013, 05:07 AM) *
..snip..
Character Advancement
Every two posts you make will net you 1 karma and 2,000 nuyen  (for those that haven’t spotted it, you can click on the number of posts column and it will tell you who has posted in a thread and how many times!).  This means a much faster progression than is normally achieved in a pbp game.  Karma and cash can usually be spent mid game (subject to your GMing agreeing), with some purchases just being retconned, some needing some IC justification.
..snip..
I've seen content implying more direct access to post counts, but have never been able to find it myself.  Where is that 'number of posts' column of which you speak?  Is it only available in a mode I am not using?

Drakehunter have at least 1, possibly 3 samples of the radio gear the Spined Drakes where using.  Can Sprogget get that working?  Is there going to be chatter to listen to there?  Is it going to be limited to short range communications between the people carrying them?  Will that general tech be affected by the jammer blanket?  Could / is it likely that the jammer blanket is tuned to allow that 'band' through.
Sprogget will be having a close look at that gear (and showing it to the others) before moving toward the mall.  Looking for advantages.

Making G’Eye proof against hacking / hijacking: rewire one of the stealth sensors, same as used for the tracer on the bikes, to hook to the drone wireless transmitter.  Use the codes that normally turn the stealth sensor on and off to enable and disable wireless capabilities of the drone.  If wireless is disabled, the drone is not hackable without physically getting hold of it first.  Add one more stealth tag that basically returns a 'ping' when it gets its code, and then only when directly (not through wireless mesh) receiving the code.  Give the drone instructions for an approximate search/data collection path, turn off wireless, send it off on its own pilot.  When it should be returning, start sending occasional ping codes, until get a response, or the drone is deemed lost.  Enable [lowest usable power] wireless again to collect the report.

What rating do you want that blanket of jammers to be?  To block a signal 6 with ECCM 6 would need rating 13 jammers.  By RAW, they only go to a maximum of 10 AR57, SR4A330.  At that level, signal+ECCM of 10 or higher would get through.  The drones Sprogget is using have signal 5 ECCM 6.  I know you want the signal blocked one way or another, but an effective rating will give Sprogget information about how close nodes can get before being blocked, given that 1 rating per 5 meters fall off for area jammers.  Directional jammers do not degrade with distance as fast, but using jammers as 'munitions', I would expect it to be difficult to get them accurately pointed well enough to get coverage.  I also expect that if they are using directional jammers, they would be mostly pointed inward, toward the mall.  Either way, he should be able to tell before getting too close what the range is looking like, when comparing with the data from the radio signal scanner.  Without ECCM, Crow and Scrapheap will lose connections and tacnet earliest.

G’Eye has UWBR AR60, which is 'vulnerable' to jamming.  The drone also has ECCM(6) on the sensors, separate from ECCM of the node signal.  What does Sprogget expect to happen to that scanner when it hits the jammer field?  For normal sensor jamming, I expect it to continue to work up to rating 8 jamming (UWBR signal rating 2 although sensor rating is 4)

@E:Tribes == drakehunters
Ideas; several IC posts worth :
Scrapheap to collect the gear off of the dead, and pick up interesting looking pieces of the trashed drone for later examination (using his scavenging skills), Sprogget has the backpack liners for storage of the drone pieces
Crow to pry as much info out of our guest as possible about who/how many/what gear/what capabilities he knows about for the solder boys and the weird ones, what he knows about latest activity at the mall.
Sprogget to hardware modify G’Eye drone to make it wirelessly unhackable.
Sprogget to examine the captured comm gear, to see if might be usable by the team, either to eavesdrop, or as transceivers that work near the jammers.  Given the proposed scenario, that would likely be throw away gear for the Spined Drakes, different from what the suspected mil-spec team is using.
Sprogget to check the tracer on the bike occasionally, if the escaping ganger goes there.  Check often initially, since will lose contact if he heads into the jammed area.
Crow (seems to be best infiltration, and military background) to take the lead / guiding role to move closer to the mall, trying to gather intel.  *plan* to stop just beyond where the jammers would block the commlinks, then send G’Eye further in on a loop, as team follows the edge of the jammer field (location somewhat known from Banjo scanner data) to meet G’Eye on exit.  Repeat a few times, then clear off back to Mechanicals 'safe' area.
considering going wireless dark, which will lose tacnet, and limit use of the drones. [Sprogget:Self]If these guys can fool Fre∑dom's tech and monitoring into hiding them, I don't want 'my brain' hanging out for them to hack!

consider not taking LeO with us, as not being stealthy enough.  Sprogget on foot.  LeO maybe guarding the monocycle, stashed kid, and collected drone pieces (also the extra ganger bike if that works out for Crow).  Banjo can come along, but hang back.  He has the scanner best able to get information about the jammer blanket.  Banjo is discrete, but not nearly as unnoticeable as G’Eye.  He also does not need to be particularly close to locate jammers putting out that much noise.  Some of that is available from right where we are, but moving around and closer will help map the blocked area better.

** a plan never survives contact with the enemy **

Of course we do not **want** contact smile.gif

Input?
Machine Ghost
@Aria,

Sprogget does not want to try contacting Oyl directly, not wanting to potentially disturb her in the middle of some delicate first aid, but if Cam 'approves', he could contact someone else at the clinic/soup kitchen, to find out what the situation is, and get her involved that way.

Coming up, I expect that Sprogget's examination of the comm gear will confirm simple mil-surplus radio / walky-talky.  There is no 'node' as such for him to connect to, even with the device in his hands.  If he can use a wired connection to get in, going to do that too, looking for ways to use it against other users.  Get the channel being used, the encryption if any, etc, if that would help use it to eavesdrop.

Depending what he learns, it could be going in one of the Faraday cage backpack liners, so it can not be used to listen to, track the Drakehunters.
Machine Ghost
@Aria,

Question about what Sprogget can learn by examining the mil-surplus radio gear, and what Crow might know about it.

More stuff pending, but time to wait and see if Cam is going to involve Oyl, or have an excuse not to.

Unless you want to provide details, I'll just use the jammer mapping information for context, so Sprogget will know where they can reach before being jammed, and provide a (temporary since going to lose wireless) map overlay for the others, so Crow can make guesses about how far out any guards/patrols are likely to be.

Time to get serious about reading more SR5 rules stuff.
mister__joshua
Hey. I'm still here. Sorry I've been on holiday. Normally I announce that sort of thing but as we were going slow I thought no-one would notice! I'm still in for CoP. I'll try and catch up this week
Aria
QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ Aug 17 2013, 02:20 AM) *
@Aria,

Sprogget does not want to try contacting Oyl directly, not wanting to potentially disturb her in the middle of some delicate first aid, but if Cam 'approves', he could contact someone else at the clinic/soup kitchen, to find out what the situation is, and get her involved that way.

Coming up, I expect that Sprogget's examination of the comm gear will confirm simple mil-surplus radio / walky-talky.  There is no 'node' as such for him to connect to, even with the device in his hands.  If he can use a wired connection to get in, going to do that too, looking for ways to use it against other users.  Get the channel being used, the encryption if any, etc, if that would help use it to eavesdrop.

Depending what he learns, it could be going in one of the Faraday cage backpack liners, so it can not be used to listen to, track the Drakehunters.

The radio is just that...well microwave band milspec circa 2050 with encryption that any modern software can slice through with no trouble - assuming it can be heard. It's probably got some static on it from the jamming but it uses a different frequency/bandwidth/techno something or other than current matrix protocols (which is what the jabberwocky would be designed to block)...you can listen in but there's probably not much going on now that the main event has started...the real milspec guys are using modern electronics not this old shit!

I'll leave the decision about Oyl to you...if you want to bring her into the story (player not PC) then Cam will do so, otherwise she's got enough on her plate to keep her busy!
Aria
QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ Aug 16 2013, 06:44 PM) *
OK, 2075 OOC added to my viewed topics.  It won't sneak away again.

I've seen content implying more direct access to post counts, but have never been able to find it myself.  Where is that 'number of posts' column of which you speak?  Is it only available in a mode I am not using?
It's the replies column after the name...just click on the number of replies and it opens another little window!

QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ Aug 16 2013, 06:44 PM) *
What rating do you want that blanket of jammers to be?  To block a signal 6 with ECCM 6 would need rating 13 jammers.  By RAW, they only go to a maximum of 10 AR57, SR4A330.  At that level, signal+ECCM of 10 or higher would get through.  The drones Sprogget is using have signal 5 ECCM 6.  I know you want the signal blocked one way or another, but an effective rating will give Sprogget information about how close nodes can get before being blocked, given that 1 rating per 5 meters fall off for area jammers.  Directional jammers do not degrade with distance as fast, but using jammers as 'munitions', I would expect it to be difficult to get them accurately pointed well enough to get coverage.  I also expect that if they are using directional jammers, they would be mostly pointed inward, toward the mall.  Either way, he should be able to tell before getting too close what the range is looking like, when comparing with the data from the radio signal scanner.  Without ECCM, Crow and Scrapheap will lose connections and tacnet earliest.

G’Eye has UWBR AR60, which is 'vulnerable' to jamming.  The drone also has ECCM(6) on the sensors, separate from ECCM of the node signal.  What does Sprogget expect to happen to that scanner when it hits the jammer field?  For normal sensor jamming, I expect it to continue to work up to rating 8 jamming (UWBR signal rating 2 although sensor rating is 4)
Yeah, a bit of GM handwavium going on here...never thought it was right that jamming should be so outclassed by ECCM (I'm not a techie so how reasonable or not this is in the real world I'll leave for someone else to explain!). Assume they are high rating area jammers that are being given a little help...they don't quite blanket the mall but are doing a damn good job of making a mess of communications. The wifi inhibiting paint that the Freedom lot painted on the inside of the mall to control the signal is contributing to the lack of comms in this situation.

Machine Ghost
QUOTE (Aria @ Aug 19 2013, 05:11 AM) *
It's the replies column after the name...just click on the number of replies and it opens another little window!
Duuuh! Finally found it after going around in circles on the "My Topics" and "Your Controls", and topic thread windows. Replies column for subscriptions on the main control panel window. I think I looked at that earlier, but the counts windows opens blank initially, and is very slow to fill in. I think it took so long that I figured it was locked, and deleted it. This time I waited long enough.

Yeah, a bit of GM handwavium going on here...never thought it was right that jamming should be so outclassed by ECCM (I'm not a techie so how reasonable or not this is in the real world I'll leave for someone else to explain!). Assume they are high rating area jammers that are being given a little help...they don't quite blanket the mall but are doing a damn good job of making a mess of communications. The wifi inhibiting paint that the Freedom lot painted on the inside of the mall to control the signal is contributing to the lack of comms in this situation.
For 'simple' single channel radio communications today (or at least a few years ago), a jammer has the advantage. But using Spread spectrum the balance shifts to the radio, because the jammer has to fill the whole band that could be used, not just the specific narrow channel that is being used. That piece about "magnitudes" under Techniques in that article means that the jammer needs, 10, 100, 1000, ... times more total power than the radio transmitter being blocked, if the transmitter is free to keep shifting the signal around (pseudo random). The blocking may not be all or nothing. Instead of thinking of the communications as a single road that can be blocked, think of it as 10000 roads, with message traffic using any 100 of them. The jammer does not have the resources to block all 10000, and can only somewhat guess which 100 are actually going to be used at any time (it keeps changing). The jammer blocks as much as it can, so some of the 100 get blocked. ECCM looks at what actually got through, and using Error Correction processing recreates the missing pieces. To much gets blocked, the jammer wins. Better ECCM means more needs to be blocked before the message gets lost.

That is a fairly simplified description, and gets modified somewhat, by how free the transmitters are to switch which 100 'roads' are actually used. It can not be completely random, because the receiver has to know where to look for the 100 pieces it needs to get what was sent. In practice, that means that some sort of pseudo random pattern is used / agreed on, and the pattern changed regularly. If the jammer knows enough about that, it can do a better job of jamming. If the ECCM has a say in the selection, it can do a better job. Overall, it appears that barring massive amounts of power, the transmitters and ECCM are currently pulling ahead.

With SR4A RAW, the jammers and wi-fi blocking paint do not stack. It gets treated like (regular) layered armor. Only the highest one counts. From my perspective, it should be treated more like UBWR, which can see through some total number of 'points' of barrier rating.
catscradle
Hey DS folks; I'm new to the forums and have been looking to join this game, but rather than dive in like it suggests in the original post, I thought I'd double check whether this one is open to new players using SR4 rules, or whether it's being phased out and replaced with the 2075 thread/new SR5 rules? Apologies that I've not had chance to read through all the previous to see whether this has already been discussed
Aria
It will be phased out (in theory) but not before current story lines (well active ones anyway) get some sort of resolution. My 2075 thread is its SR5 brother/sister/long lost uncle and you'd be very welcome there or here!

E:Tribes is probably the only really active game here at the moment as my other players are AWOL for the summer. Freedom and the Mechs could certainly do with a hand! It will get shifted over to an SR5 version once this conflict is over but as this is pbp that could take ages!
mister__joshua
CoP by design is slow moving and played as snapshots so there's nothing we're really doing that can't be done in a years time. I was thinking that while we're still near the start of the storyline it might be an idea of we jump forward to 2075 and then you, me and the Baron all write a post detailing how it played out and what's happened since, then we can crack on with your new storyline smile.gif
JxJxA
So I'm not quite sure what's going on with the Chicago group, and I think we lost NSEDM. frown.gif Should I work on converting Gemeaux to 5th Ed and joining the 2075 group? Have sniper rifle and French flair, will travel. nyahnyah.gif
Aria
QUOTE (JxJxA @ Aug 22 2013, 02:55 AM) *
So I'm not quite sure what's going on with the Chicago group, and I think we lost NSEDM. frown.gif Should I work on converting Gemeaux to 5th Ed and joining the 2075 group? Have sniper rifle and French flair, will travel. nyahnyah.gif

Worth doing a conversion but until I've finished the initial warm-up run there we're a tad full. I could slip you into the 2072 E:Tribes if you liked as we are a few PCs down there. It wouldn't be much of a leap based on the conclusion to E:PL that I had planned. Lemme know if that appeals and I can fill you in on the missing bits of story...

I'm off on holiday next week so don't know how often I'll be able to post, will try and keep things going!
JxJxA
I'd be happy to join the Tribes team and then segue into 2075 once there is room. I'm in no hurry as I'll need time to learn the new rules anyways. ^_^

Have a great holiday! ^_^
mister__joshua
What did you think to the CoP suggestion?
Aria
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Aug 23 2013, 12:35 PM) *
What did you think to the CoP suggestion?

Sounds like a good idea...I'll start up a new mini recruitment thread (the third time I've tried for CoP I think nyahnyah.gif) when I get back! In the mean time I think you might be able to talk to the Baron without me if you want to post...?!?
mister__joshua
QUOTE (Aria @ Aug 23 2013, 12:52 PM) *
Sounds like a good idea...I'll start up a new mini recruitment thread (the third time I've tried for CoP I think nyahnyah.gif) when I get back! In the mean time I think you might be able to talk to the Baron without me if you want to post...?!?

Do you mean post on the current story or for a new one? Our current story has already been decided in 5th edition which spoils it a little. What did you have in mind for the rich and powerful in 2075?
Aria
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Aug 24 2013, 08:30 PM) *
Do you mean post on the current story or for a new one? Our current story has already been decided in 5th edition which spoils it a little. What did you have in mind for the rich and powerful in 2075?

It was a vain hope in pbp that we'd resolve the story before SR5 emerged, ah well. If you want to post in this thread for now I've already begun composing a 2075 starting piece to get you into the action again. Not sure what themes to explore yet, possibly something more character driven - Awesome's attempts to sleep with an immortal perhaps? ork.gif
mister__joshua
QUOTE (Aria @ Aug 24 2013, 10:22 PM) *
It was a vain hope in pbp that we'd resolve the story before SR5 emerged, ah well. If you want to post in this thread for now I've already begun composing a 2075 starting piece to get you into the action again. Not sure what themes to explore yet, possibly something more character driven - Awesome's attempts to sleep with an immortal perhaps? ork.gif

Haha. You know I'd love that! Character driven is what it's all about.

As a working title: 'Loss of innocence: The story of Baron Herbert

nyahnyah.gif
ChromeZephyr
You keep your pervy storylines to yourself, m_j. grinbig.gif
Aria
Ok, back! Priorities are to get CoP up and running in 2075 and then sort Tribes out with the continuation of that story!
Aria
QUOTE (Aria @ Aug 22 2013, 05:43 PM) *
Worth doing a conversion but until I've finished the initial warm-up run there we're a tad full. I could slip you into the 2072 E:Tribes if you liked as we are a few PCs down there. It wouldn't be much of a leap based on the conclusion to E:PL that I had planned. Lemme know if that appeals and I can fill you in on the missing bits of story...

I'm off on holiday next week so don't know how often I'll be able to post, will try and keep things going!

I've been thinking about this while away, would be good to get you involved in the Tribes story line, to have a PC in the Freedom mall when the attack happens to try and coordinate with the outside world, so assuming you are happy with this (?) I'll PM you a rundown of events following E:PL and you can reveal the info or not IC as we go...
Aria
@Tribes:

Ok, Cam isn't going to come up with a plan for you, and I'm reluctant for him to send you in there directly but let's face it, if you wanna see the action you're going to need to eyeball it ork.gif

We don't currently have any PCs inside (unless JxJxA agrees to be there...) so we can more or less play this however you want. The milspec guys won't be overwhelmingly superior but they can still ruin your day!
JxJxA
QUOTE (Aria @ Sep 2 2013, 10:23 PM) *
I've been thinking about this while away, would be good to get you involved in the Tribes story line, to have a PC in the Freedom mall when the attack happens to try and coordinate with the outside world, so assuming you are happy with this (?) I'll PM you a rundown of events following E:PL and you can reveal the info or not IC as we go...

Works for me. smile.gif
Mach_Ten
QUOTE (JxJxA @ Sep 3 2013, 12:39 AM) *
Works for me. smile.gif

YaY ! smile.gif an insider smile.gif

and Aria, that is pretty much what I thought was going to have to happen, yippee for GM's not handing out meta info for free biggrin.gif

So, Scrap we can kill the ganger, he's useless to us noww biggrin.gif
JxJxA
QUOTE (Mach_Ten @ Sep 3 2013, 10:00 PM) *
YaY ! smile.gif an insider smile.gif

and Aria, that is pretty much what I thought was going to have to happen, yippee for GM's not handing out meta info for free biggrin.gif

So, Scrap we can kill the ganger, he's useless to us noww biggrin.gif

Well, Aria's not, and neither is Gemeaux... Inside info? That'll cost ya... ork.gif
Machine Ghost
@Aria,

One of the local people I know does work for Catalyst, and was involved in play testing SR5. From him, a TM conversion is likely to be awkward. How about instead create a new SR5 Sprogget/drononmancer using the base concept, then reapply the karma spends (58) to get back to current state? Should be no issues that way, though the character details could vary some, due to SR4A/SR5 differences. Especially since SR5 currently only has core. Most of Sprogget should be core. Just some drones from RC and Arsenal. Monocycle, LeO, LTA for Banjo, Ms Beaver are all from Arsenal I think. Lifestyle qualities from RC. I have not looked at the conversion details yet myself.

QUOTE (Aria @ Sep 2 2013, 05:45 AM) *
@Tribes:

Ok, Cam isn't going to come up with a plan for you, and I'm reluctant for him to send you in there directly but let's face it, if you wanna see the action you're going to need to eyeball it ork.gif

We don't currently have any PCs inside (unless JxJxA agrees to be there...) so we can more or less play this however you want. The milspec guys won't be overwhelmingly superior but they can still ruin your day!
Given what I/Sprogget thinks is happening, he does not think he really wants to see the gory details smile.gif

LeFey, Spring, Tweak were all there, but vanished.

Several ideas here. Which ones does Sprogget think have a chance, with in game information, and reasonable time constraints (can't take hours to disassemble something first)? Juryrigger quality; hardware skill(2) and toolkit; maybe a sprite assistant, although that has not been going well for Sprogget lately smile.gif Architectural Engineering (Renovations) 4(6) knowledge; Equipment Modification and Customization (2) knowledge seem relevant.

Load status information onto datachips (multiple copies), and have G’Eye try to physically deliver them. The dragonfly has a mechanical grapple, so a simple loop of wire for a handle should allow him to pick up, carry, put down the chips. With wireless blocked (and disabled on the drone), need an alternate way to 'talk' to people with the drone. G’Eye also has chameleon coating AR134, so I figure a small (minidrone size 10 to 25 cm) scrolling text message on the surface should work fine. He also has audio input, including a directional microphone, to get information back. That should be enough to get attention, tell someone important tactical info is on the data chip, and even provide a (slow) summary of the contents.

Given Mechanicals as friendly neighbours, and that they have probably done some of the physical tech/infrastructure related work at the mall, they probably have reasonably accurate/current building plans, including things like ventilation systems (industrial mechanic skill used there is more Mechanicals than Freedom). Get that data from Cam, and use (maybe with a custom threaded mapsoft?) to provide G’Eye with some reasonable paths to move around the mall, but mostly out of sight.

That data should also show if the drone can slip in through an external vent, or if a grate would need to be opened first. Banjo, or even LeO could do that, with the mechanical arms. Prefer an external vent for access, since through the hole would put all of the intruders between the drone any any active friendlies. Easier and faster to go in somewhere else, that should be past the 'front line'.

Use radio signal scanners to locate one or more of the physical jammer units: use hardware skill to get into that, even if just to connect a physical cable to get access.
- find out if there is a key/pattern for signals that are NOT being blocked, and a way to simulate that for the team (and pass the information to Freedom).
- find out if there is an abort/suicide/self destruct signal that could be used to bulk disable the jammers

With the Spined Drakes doing the perimeter, that captured comm gear could be useful. Is there any activity on there, or is the jamming blocking that too? I start by assuming that the gangers doing perimeter security are physically inside the jammed area, and their perimeter is 'around' the hole blasted in the wall. How large of area is being covered (outside and around that hole) by the jamming (outer most physical jammer, where the jamming then starts to fall off with distance) and physical security? LeO with the Ares Alpha has a long reach, and can move reasonably fast. Looking at stirring them up some, by targeting multiple sections of the 'border', without them realizing there is only a single weapons platform. With only a -2 range modifier (with improved range finder) out to 350 meters, he could turn in place and hit 2 targets 700 meters apart. Either panic them, or get them moving around to leave holes in their fence. Would really love to slip in and steal one of the armoured vehicles, and use it to blow (or at least seriously damage) the other, if they left guarding them to the Drakes! smile.gif That should get the attention of those currently in the mall, and get them to pull back at least for a time.

Would the standard jammer in Sproggets pocket be effective (shorter range than the blanket over the mall) against the mil-surplus comm gear the Spined Drakes have? How about against real military gear the team attacking the mall are expected to be using (with input from Crow on that)?
mister__joshua
QUOTE (Aria @ Sep 2 2013, 01:00 PM) *
Ok, back! Priorities are to get CoP up and running in 2075 and then sort Tribes out with the continuation of that story!

Awesome, can't wait to get this going again.

I've been having a few thoughts, things like 'sleeping with an immortal', while fun, are probably not the source of long and interesting adventures. These are cool personal goals but I don't see them developing into campaigns.

While coming up with ideas for the 2075 game I thought it might be fun if we explored the following:
- After meeting with Ryl, Awesome and Herbert both support the 'free matrix' cause financially and politically.
- Awesome and Herbert set up and independent company to support the cause and plan for the future.
- After their ultimate defeat to the corporate alliance and De La Mar, the company goes bankrupt and takes the 2 with it.
- In 2075 Herbert and Awesome are both bitter, talented aristocrats with powerful contacts but no actual money.

Themes for the game would then include
- Trying to get back on top
- Trying to avenge the bankrupcy and hack/show-up the new matrix
- Trying to remain socially fluid while not letting people find out about their poverty
- Trying to maintain their lifestyles and contacts whichever way they can

Herbert and Awesome, in Shadowrun terms, are effectively a very good Hacker and Face. That could be an interesing duo

What do you guys think?
Aria
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Sep 4 2013, 08:35 AM) *
Awesome, can't wait to get this going again.
<snip>
I was being a bit tongue in cheek about the thing with Ryl biggrin.gif

Rather than completely taking the two of you out when the company collapses perhaps you are hurt financially (but not ruinously) and revenge is a noble motivation. I want you to be able to flash the cash still (although it might not be your cash???). If you are a bit more down at heel it might make you more inclined to deal with JxJxA’s proposed character?!? He’s a bit more humorous than I would normally consider but there’s probably more room for that sort of thing in a game like this rather than a traditional runner game and I’m willing to give it a punt if you lot are ok with it?

Aria
QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ Sep 3 2013, 09:31 PM) *
@Aria,

One of the local people I know does work for Catalyst, and was involved in play testing SR5. From him, a TM conversion is likely to be awkward. How about instead create a new SR5 Sprogget/drononmancer using the base concept, then reapply the karma spends (58) to get back to current state? Should be no issues that way, though the character details could vary some, due to SR4A/SR5 differences. Especially since SR5 currently only has core. Most of Sprogget should be core. Just some drones from RC and Arsenal. Monocycle, LeO, LTA for Banjo, Ms Beaver are all from Arsenal I think. Lifestyle qualities from RC. I have not looked at the conversion details yet myself.

That works for me, if you use the standard runner rather than the ‘street’ level that I will ask any new players to adopt (the benefits of old age biggrin.gif). From the few articles I’ve read dronomancers have taken a bit of a hit in the new rules but with some karma to spend on submersion I think you can redress some of the problems…as for the vehicles, you could just buy new ones from the book as replacements or if you are really attached to them then cobble a conversion…

Oh, by the way, Osha will be the new leader of the Mechanicals ork.gif

Will respond to the rest of your queries when I get a chance!
ChromeZephyr
@Aria, m_j/CoP: I was going to say, there's no way the both of them are wiped out financially via backing the wrong horse in the new Matrix. Wounded, certainly. Broke? Not a chance, they're both too smart to go all-in on something with the potential of the AAAs all deciding to go the other way. I can see the Baron having to sacrifice his pawn's board position (and potentially having a new Enemy to deal with) and losing a chunk of investments to keep his hands clean when the "free Matrix" movement gets shattered, though. Yes, I am being a little petulant here, I want my rich character to stay rich, dammit. I gots no monies IRL, this is a nice diversion from that. smile.gif

edit:

@Mach: You want the honors? Scrap's already got several notches on the shotgun's stock. biggrin.gif
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (Aria @ Sep 4 2013, 09:35 AM) *
That works for me, if you use the standard runner rather than the ‘street’ level that I will ask any new players to adopt (the benefits of old age biggrin.gif). From the few articles I’ve read dronomancers have taken a bit of a hit in the new rules but with some karma to spend on submersion I think you can redress some of the problems…as for the vehicles, you could just buy new ones from the book as replacements or if you are really attached to them then cobble a conversion…
Not particularly attached to specific drones, if I can find a reasonable replacement for the purpose/concept. That said, I *did* have reasons for choosing the drones I have. Some for fitting with Mechancials tribe concept, others for functionality. Have to see what raw tech/drone conversion is like.

Oh, by the way, Osha will be the new leader of the Mechanicals ork.gif
Nice (I think)!! More headaches of course, and will need to tune her focus on the keeping the tribe as a viable (business) group, instead of more on the health side. That said, it will put her in the Face and Mr. Johnson rolls quite nicely. Maybe Fixer too. With Sprogget's 'day job', that will probably mean he has to do what sis tells him to. Like providing her with regular tutor sprites with skill and knowledge softs to augment her own knowledge as needed to make better decisions for the tribe. Some of that regular work time is going to be registering sprites for her, instead of just the overnight one shots brought up in the plans for the clinc.

Will respond to the rest of your queries when I get a chance!

mister__joshua
QUOTE (ChromeZephyr @ Sep 4 2013, 06:02 PM) *
@Aria, m_j/CoP: I was going to say, there's no way the both of them are wiped out financially via backing the wrong horse in the new Matrix. Wounded, certainly. Broke? Not a chance, they're both too smart to go all-in on something with the potential of the AAAs all deciding to go the other way. I can see the Baron having to sacrifice his pawn's board position (and potentially having a new Enemy to deal with) and losing a chunk of investments to keep his hands clean when the "free Matrix" movement gets shattered, though. Yes, I am being a little petulant here, I want my rich character to stay rich, dammit. I gots no monies IRL, this is a nice diversion from that. smile.gif

Yeah, fair enough. Wiping them out financially was a stretch story-wise, I just thought it'd be interesting from a roleplaying perspective. The original Johnny Awesome (my tabletop character) was just like this guy but with no money, all bravado and showmanship. He ended up double-crossing all of his team and coming out living a life of luxury. Don't read too much into that, maybe biggrin.gif

Really I was just thinking of motivations that a) tied the characters together in some way, b) carried on the story from CoP, or at least used it as a background/setup, and c) meant that the characters had to get a bit more 'hands-on' in their story, maybe even resorting to the odd shadow-op in person.

Anything else that achieves that I'm good with smile.gif Maybe we can brainstorm some ideas but I think between the 2 we have a good start
JxJxA
I know that this is not 2072-related, but I know that some of you are looking for games and wanted to toss the invite out to you. I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with Stars Without Number, but I've had some people drop from my game and I'm looking for some people to join up. Anyone interested? Here's the
link to the recruitment thread, which also links you to all the other crap I have set up:

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=39725

Let me know if you're interested. ^_^
mister__joshua
That looks quite interesting (especially as I've just watched the new Star Trek and then started reading Traveler), but I'll have to read the rulebook first. I struggle to keep up with posting in 1 game, but I'll read it through anyway and see if I can come up with something smile.gif
Aria
I'd love to but I'm probably overcommitted with SR stuff already nyahnyah.gif

And learning a new ruleset ontop of SR5...no chance!
Aria
QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ Sep 3 2013, 09:31 PM) *
Given what I/Sprogget thinks is happening, he does not think he really wants to see the gory details smile.gif

LeFey, Spring, Tweak were all there, but vanished.

Several ideas here. Which ones does Sprogget think have a chance, with in game information, and reasonable time constraints (can't take hours to disassemble something first)? Juryrigger quality; hardware skill(2) and toolkit; maybe a sprite assistant, although that has not been going well for Sprogget lately smile.gif Architectural Engineering (Renovations) 4(6) knowledge; Equipment Modification and Customization (2) knowledge seem relevant.

Load status information onto datachips (multiple copies), and have G’Eye try to physically deliver them. The dragonfly has a mechanical grapple, so a simple loop of wire for a handle should allow him to pick up, carry, put down the chips. With wireless blocked (and disabled on the drone), need an alternate way to 'talk' to people with the drone. G’Eye also has chameleon coating AR134, so I figure a small (minidrone size 10 to 25 cm) scrolling text message on the surface should work fine. He also has audio input, including a directional microphone, to get information back. That should be enough to get attention, tell someone important tactical info is on the data chip, and even provide a (slow) summary of the contents.

Given Mechanicals as friendly neighbours, and that they have probably done some of the physical tech/infrastructure related work at the mall, they probably have reasonably accurate/current building plans, including things like ventilation systems (industrial mechanic skill used there is more Mechanicals than Freedom). Get that data from Cam, and use (maybe with a custom threaded mapsoft?) to provide G’Eye with some reasonable paths to move around the mall, but mostly out of sight.

That data should also show if the drone can slip in through an external vent, or if a grate would need to be opened first. Banjo, or even LeO could do that, with the mechanical arms. Prefer an external vent for access, since through the hole would put all of the intruders between the drone any any active friendlies. Easier and faster to go in somewhere else, that should be past the 'front line'.

Use radio signal scanners to locate one or more of the physical jammer units: use hardware skill to get into that, even if just to connect a physical cable to get access.
- find out if there is a key/pattern for signals that are NOT being blocked, and a way to simulate that for the team (and pass the information to Freedom).
- find out if there is an abort/suicide/self destruct signal that could be used to bulk disable the jammers

With the Spined Drakes doing the perimeter, that captured comm gear could be useful. Is there any activity on there, or is the jamming blocking that too? I start by assuming that the gangers doing perimeter security are physically inside the jammed area, and their perimeter is 'around' the hole blasted in the wall. How large of area is being covered (outside and around that hole) by the jamming (outer most physical jammer, where the jamming then starts to fall off with distance) and physical security? LeO with the Ares Alpha has a long reach, and can move reasonably fast. Looking at stirring them up some, by targeting multiple sections of the 'border', without them realizing there is only a single weapons platform. With only a -2 range modifier (with improved range finder) out to 350 meters, he could turn in place and hit 2 targets 700 meters apart. Either panic them, or get them moving around to leave holes in their fence. Would really love to slip in and steal one of the armoured vehicles, and use it to blow (or at least seriously damage) the other, if they left guarding them to the Drakes! smile.gif That should get the attention of those currently in the mall, and get them to pull back at least for a time.

Would the standard jammer in Sproggets pocket be effective (shorter range than the blanket over the mall) against the mil-surplus comm gear the Spined Drakes have? How about against real military gear the team attacking the mall are expected to be using (with input from Crow on that)?
Ok, will try and answer some of these here and some IC…to put you out of your misery the jamming will end very shortly as the jabberwocky munitions run out of power – they are only meant to sow confusion and disrupt comms for a short time otherwise you would be screwing your own side too!

The old style comms are using microwave – my (admittedly limited knowledge) is that they are on a higher frequency/wavelength than is used by the current matrix protocols and so should escape the jamming (wouldn’t trying to jam microwave transmissions cook everyone in the neighbourhood?!?)

The Drakes are focused around the hole with loose overwatch patrols on all sides of the mall (otherwise they’d get flanked!). The APCs have AROs declaring them to be property of the Metroplex guard (old Eurowars surplus, probably Russian, presumably they are/were test opposition vehicles?!?)

In order to get Gemeaux to ‘meet you’ I’ve assumed you are moving closer to the mall (perhaps closer than you as players might like ork.gif)… I’ll ignore what happened to your captive Drake and let you all decide that one, it doesn’t really matter to the future action (yet!)…

Yes, you can get a drone inside the mall but that should hopefully be moot once you read the IC…
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012