Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2072 [+4 Months]
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78
Machine Ghost
I see that when I wrote out the time line details, that I used the wrong reference point for the firewall alert being triggered. It will be 3 combat turns after detection for a crack(5) sprite, so that will be at 5.2 instead of 4.2. Should not make any difference.

Here is the timeline I see for Oyl and the Plant Spirit in the (pre 1) list, based on the IC and instructions to the Spirit:
1.1 Oyl Instructions to Plant Spirit
1.2 Spirit goes to Citymaster in astral
1.3 Spirit Concealment (astral IP) (sustain 1)
2.1 Spirit Materialize (sustain 2)
2.2 Confusion (rigger) (sustain 3)
3.1 you have as non damaging engulf rigger, Spirit decision I guess. I figured skip this as long as rigger still in VR/asleep (sustain 4). It does seem the safest course with the instructions. I was not sure how RAW would treat something like using engulf in place of subdue/hold. I guess a 'touch' attack, for no damage, then hold but don’t “squeeze”.
3.2 Fear Tac Op
4.1 Fear Winter
4.2 Engulf/Melee Tac Op (already detected, drop concealment) (sustain 4)

5.1 matches 1.1 for the WIP post. With the communications delay, I expect the Spirit to get the status update here, but after it has already acted, so it will attempt to attack/engulf Tac OP or Winter. Probably Winter, if 4.2 Engulf succeeded, since that will continue to do damage while sustained.
5.2 = 1.2 Fear rigger

6.1 = 2.1 work on getting rigger unconscious, and defend against whatever Winter is doing, then continue attack on Tac Op and Winter, unless they have left. If Winter is attacking, could choose to attack back while putting the squeeze on the rigger? The instruction say quickly though, so squeeze and melee attack on rigger might seem better.

3.1 Tac Op will need to succeed on WIL+CHA(3) (net hits on Fear) to able to return/face the Spirit SR4A295

With the mage and others at the breach, a rocket strike there does not seem like a bright idea smile.gif At least only those at the breach should be able to target Fido. The others should not have LOS. Poor little pup. Going to get blown up by grenades instead.

Is the thermal smoke going to add to the existing heavy fog/smoke modifier? If it just increases the modifier for thermographic SR4A136, Fido can just ignore it. He is using low-light.

Attack of Will SM94 Banishing+WIL or just WIL, base DV CHA(P), melee attack
which could apply to the Plant Spirit and Winter too. For now, Tac Op is busy with the door, if he is not engulfed and trying to get out of that. Add a little claustrophobia to the Fear smile.gif
JxJxA
A spirit holding the damsel in distress within her?!? Oh noes! I can't spam my grenades without turning her to goo! nyahnyah.gif

Ok, here we go!

Init: 13 / 3 IP
Ref(8 ) + Int(3) = 11d6 for 2 hits.

I'll keep an action in my pocket in order to dodge gymnastically (and dramatically) out of the way should the spirit try to punch at or breathe on me. Not sure how well bullets will work, but I'll try calling a shot to increase the DV. I don't think I can avoid/eliminate the armor with it. HOWEVER, if I can then please use them for that instead of the DV increase.

As always, please knock off the end dice from any modifiers I am forgetting.

Current Weapon of Choice:
Walther MA-2100
Mods: Internal silencer, skinlinked, chameleon coating, improved range finder
Short Range: 0-150m
RC: 1
AP: Base(3) + EX Explosive(1)= 4
DV: Base(7) + EX Explosive(1) = 8P

Current Clip: 8/10

1.1:
Free Action: Calling My Shot
Simple Action: Shoot at Shifty Spirit!
Agi(9) + Longarms(5) + Spec(2) + Smart(2) - Vis(3) - Called Shot(4) = 11d6 for 4 hits.
Simple Action: Rinse and Repeat!
Agi(9) + Longarms(5) + Spec(2) + Smart(2) - Vis(3) = 15d6 for 6 hits.

1.2:
Simple Action: There's Very Little Punch Behind These Bullets
Agi(9) + Longarms(5) + Spec(2) + Smart(2) - Vis(3) - Called Shot(4) = 11d6 for 7 hits. LEAVE THAT WOMAN ALONE, YOU MASHER!
Simple Action: Maybe It Will Get Bored and Drop Her
Agi(9) + Longarms(5) + Spec(2) + Smart(2) - Vis(3) - Called Shot(4) = 15d6 for 4 hits.

Shots Remaining: 4/10
Aria
QUOTE (JxJxA @ Nov 6 2013, 05:22 AM) *
A spirit holding the damsel in distress within her?!? Oh noes! I can't spam my grenades without turning her to goo! nyahnyah.gif

And we'll gloss over the fact that as she is 'inside' the spirit any shots you make would in theory go through her too ork.gif

Will add this to my list of things to resolve! biggrin.gif
JxJxA
QUOTE (Aria @ Nov 7 2013, 02:37 AM) *
And we'll gloss over the fact that as she is 'inside' the spirit any shots you make would in theory go through her too ork.gif

Will add this to my list of things to resolve! biggrin.gif

Well...I'll aim away from her... spin.gif
ChromeZephyr
Oi, not to mention you're shooting with me in the firing lane, too! 2nd and 4th rules of gun safety, man! ork.gif

Probably better change the 2nd simple action of 1.1 to "tighten sphincter so as not to soil pants", then. biggrin.gif

ETA: Post up.
JxJxA
QUOTE (ChromeZephyr @ Nov 8 2013, 02:00 AM) *
Oi, not to mention you're shooting with me in the firing lane, too! 2nd and 4th rules of gun safety, man! ork.gif

Probably better change the 2nd simple action of 1.1 to "tighten sphincter so as not to soil pants", then. biggrin.gif

ETA: Post up.

No worries, just duck your head to the right a little when I tell you. nyahnyah.gif I never miss. (Knocks on wood, throws a salt shaker over shoulder, glues an extra leaf on a clover) Trust me. wink.gif
Aria
Just to let you know I’m still on the case! IC wise we are still at around 1.1!
  • Thermal smoke isn’t in addition to the current crap in the air so won’t further mess with lowlight but will screw thermal, and it’s pink!
  • Mage was by the breech, he will be heading to the Citymaster to assist Winter in around 1.1, maybe 2 rounds to arrive, it’s not far away but they are moving with caution
  • Durrr, remind me how immunity to normal weapons works…I think if your attack+AP doesn’t beat the immunity then nothing happens, no matter how good your roll! Gemeaux’s Call shot might be an exception to this?!?
  • Scrap, please re-roll an attack of will, it’s got to be better than bouncing off the thing!
  • When’s Sprogget inserting the falsified images of the steel lynxes?

Timeline

(pre 1) Gemeaux goes into sewer
(pre 1) Jazz grabbed, decrypts begin on the rigger et al.
(pre 1) Osha & Sprogget plan of attack
(pre 1) Confusion by Osha’s spirit, rigger got 2 hits on will resist, so that’s -2 or -3D to his actions, followed by non-damaging engulf
(pre 1) Fido fires at the mage, wounded but not incapacitated, squad return fire on Fido with extreme prejudice!
(pre 1) Plant fears Tacnet Op, Winter summons help via tacnet before being feared
(pre 1) Engulf/Melee Tac Op (already detected, drop concealment) (sustain 4)
(1.1) Sprogget tells Oyl to hit the rigger (with Fear), Winter shakes off fear
(1.1) Sprogget compile Sprite
(1.1) plus delay for communications; Plant Spirit attacks rigger (Fear if still in VR at that time)
(1.1) Troops by breech move to support Winter in Citymaster. Osha’s watcher spots incoming mage
(1.2) Sprogget deliberate delay
(1.3) Sprogget deliberate delay
(2.1) Original APC launches 2 rotodrones
(2.1) Sprite attacks firewall
(2.2) attacking firewall
(2.2) firewall notices attack, but 'confused' by suppression
(2.3) attacking firewall
(3.1) attacking firewall, Tac Op shakes off fear
(3.2) attacking firewall
(3.3) attacking firewall
(4.1) attacking firewall, firewall goes down, logged in
(4.1) IC perception to see Sprite
(4.2) Sprite perception to find the hardwired connection
(4.2) IC attack if Sprite seen
(4.3) Sprite Spoof Citymaster (assuming rigger not still there and jumped in)
(4.1) Sprite leaves commlink
(4.1) Sprogget tells Oyl to finish off the rigger, to be dragged away, breaking link
(4.2)
(4.3)
(5.1) Rigger shakes off fear (assuming still in the picture)
(5.2) Firewall Alert triggered

JxJxA
@ Aria: It says to treat it as Hardened Armor equal to Magic x 2, and Hardened Armor says to use a modified DV compared to armor rating (modified by AP) (SR20A p.295). I'm hoping that it adds net hits...otherwise, there's not a thing I can do... And if 8+4 doesn't exceed it, then we're fighting something Force 6 or above... eek.gif
Machine Ghost
@Aria,

Called Shot SR4A161, option 2, reduce dice pool up to 4, at same time increasing DV by same amount. Modified DV will be the base for the weapon (or ammo), plus the called shot increase, plus the net hits from the attack itself (using reduced pool), versus magic x 2 - AP for the weapon (or ammo). If modified DV is not higher than modified armor rating, no effect. Same pattern as attacks against armored vehicles. That is what Sprogget used to take out the APC. There was no AP modifier, and it was a sitting target, so no dodge, and all hits were net hits. Some armor piercing or EX ammo would have made it easier. What is practical to use while Jazz is engulfed is going to be GM discretion. Something equivalent to a head shot should still be doable, since engulf is likely to be in the main body.

The false image data insert timing will be controlled by the GM. It needs to go in just as the drone’s circling brings it back to the place where the sensors could (again) see the location the combat drones are supposed to be. It would make little sense to do it any other time.

Mage heading to the citymaster might be a problem, if the rigger's confusion means he is not cooperating.

The 'adjust' done to get the admin account for the hacking stretched out things in the citymaster too much. We can bring it back to the initial planned timing by having Sprogget notify Oyl to 'Fear' the rigger on the same pass as the sprite starts the attack on the firewall. No need for the delays then, to pre-plan the synchronization. This means one combat turn less to get rigger out of VR, but also one less for reactions by those outside. Here is what the merged timeline currently looks like to me. This timeline would have us (GM IC) at 5.1 instead of 1.1 .. Adjustments?
With this, existing IC is a little off. The decrypt would not have finished yet when Winter was yelling for help. Given the way this is lining up, Fido might not take out the mage, but could delay the support for Winter, while they deal with him.

Timeline
[ Spoiler ]

Aria
QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ Nov 12 2013, 04:37 AM) *
@Aria,

Called Shot SR4A161, option 2, reduce dice pool up to 4, at same time increasing DV by same amount. Modified DV will be the base for the weapon (or ammo), plus the called shot increase, plus the net hits from the attack itself (using reduced pool), versus magic x 2 - AP for the weapon (or ammo). If modified DV is not higher than modified armor rating, no effect. Same pattern as attacks against armored vehicles. That is what Sprogget used to take out the APC. There was no AP modifier, and it was a sitting target, so no dodge, and all hits were net hits. Some armor piercing or EX ammo would have made it easier. What is practical to use while Jazz is engulfed is going to be GM discretion. Something equivalent to a head shot should still be doable, since engulf is likely to be in the main body.
Good, thought that was the case! So Gemeaux can blast its brains out! Of course it is a shifty air spirit so damn hard to hit! Goes poof in 5.2! Dropping poor Jazz nyahnyah.gif
5.1:
Simple Action: Shoot at Shifty Spirit!
Agi(9) + Longarms(5) + Spec(2) + Smart(2) - Vis(3) - Called Shot(4) = 11d6 for 4 hits. MISS ork.gif
Simple Action: Rinse and Repeat!
Agi(9) + Longarms(5) + Spec(2) + Smart(2) - Vis(3) = 15d6 for 6 hits. OUCH

5.2:
Simple Action: There's Very Little Punch Behind These Bullets
Agi(9) + Longarms(5) + Spec(2) + Smart(2) - Vis(3) - Called Shot(4) = 11d6 for 7 hits. LEAVE THAT WOMAN ALONE, YOU MASHER! POOF!
Simple Action: Maybe It Will Get Bored and Drop Her
Agi(9) + Longarms(5) + Spec(2) + Smart(2) - Vis(3) = 15d6 for 4 hits.

Shots Remaining: 4/10 5/10

The false image data insert timing will be controlled by the GM. It needs to go in just as the drone’s circling brings it back to the place where the sensors could (again) see the location the combat drones are supposed to be. It would make little sense to do it any other time.

Mage heading to the citymaster might be a problem, if the rigger's confusion means he is not cooperating.

The 'adjust' done to get the admin account for the hacking stretched out things in the citymaster too much. We can bring it back to the initial planned timing by having Sprogget notify Oyl to 'Fear' the rigger on the same pass as the sprite starts the attack on the firewall. No need for the delays then, to pre-plan the synchronization. This means one combat turn less to get rigger out of VR, but also one less for reactions by those outside. Here is what the merged timeline currently looks like to me. This timeline would have us (GM IC) at 5.1 instead of 1.1 .. Adjustments?
With this, existing IC is a little off. The decrypt would not have finished yet when Winter was yelling for help. Given the way this is lining up, Fido might not take out the mage, but could delay the support for Winter, while they deal with him.
Well I’m not too worried about you hearing from Winter so let’s assume the decrypts got through just in time smile.gif

Modified Timeline

The IC is a little fudged for the purpose of story telling but should more or less match this
[ Spoiler ]
Ok, tweaked the timeline a tad but we’ll run with the modded one from now. Moved Fido’s original attack to before the cry for help (which is where I thought it was originally…). Initial grenade attacks were more to distract rather than destroy him so he’s good to fire again in 5.2 (although the mage is starting for the Citymaster with a shield of thermal smoke and his good buddies!)

I’ll be posting up the 2075 recruitment thread in a sec so hopefully that should tell you that the light can be seen at the end of this particular tunnel – of course that could still be the kind of light you shouldn’t go towards ork.gif

Hopefully you are all still keen to carry on this game using the SR5 rules? Don’t worry if you don’t know them intimately – I certainly don’t and I’ve been GMing them for a couple of months now nyahnyah.gif
JxJxA
I should be up for continuing Gemeaux in 5e! I'll definitely need some time to look through all of the books/new stuff, so bear with me. ^_^
Aria
CoP is 5E so you're already there biggrin.gif

That said, if you want him to have more of a D rolling role then check out the Looking Glass thread when I post that shortly...we can interleave that with CoP so you've got time for some jet setting back across the pond as required!
ChromeZephyr
Not sure Attack of Will will do much with Scrap, but here it is: Willpower 4 = [1,5,1,2] = 1 hit, GLITCH. Damage is 2P (Scrap is not very charismatic), plus net hits if any. *shrug*

I'll continue playing Scrap in 2075, but you guys are going to have to spoonfeed me what rolls I'm making, as I have no way of getting a rulebook at the current time.

edit: Probably should have looked at the IC thread first, guess that roll isn't needed. Derp.

edit2: Post up in 2072. Just to keep my sanity, I'll just play Scrap in this thread until we're finished with it, then transition over to 2075 provided you/MG have no issues providing necessary SR5 data to me for that game. I was planning on spending some of my accumulated karma/assets to upgrade Scrap a little to cover the years between games.
Aria
QUOTE (ChromeZephyr @ Nov 13 2013, 05:05 PM) *
I'll continue playing Scrap in 2075, but you guys are going to have to spoonfeed me what rolls I'm making, as I have no way of getting a rulebook at the current time.

Happy to spoonfeed! The SR5 quick start and SR4-SR5 conversion rules are free to download so I suggest you get them, links should be somewhere in the start of the 2075 OoC or I could email them to you I think.

If you want to PM me an email address I can send you my SR5 excel generator that lists all the equipment etc currently in SR5, might be useful to you!
Machine Ghost
@Aria,

2nd pair of attacks for Fido, 2nd spoiler from previous OOC.  Using low light vision, so the thermal smoke makes no difference.  As long as the actions did not break the sensor lock.  Active Targeting SR4A171.  Do you still have the results around for the sensor lock test?  Net hits from that are part of the pool for the attack.  Looks like should be 6 and 4 hits for the next 2 attacks, with -1AP, DV 6P+net hits+2 burst modifier.  Again, if the first burst takes out the mage, use the 2nd action to get moving.

Fido has 3IP, so should be acting more often than some of the squad.  For Fido, this is the 2nd pass.  For that mage, if only 1IP, this will be the 3rd and 4th attacks for the pass, with matching dice pool negatives.  You had him full defense, and triggering the thermal smoke, so not doing too much else yet.  Starting toward the Citymaster.

With only 1 IP, Oyl’s actions will not be until about 6.1, and Scrapheap will get the message after that. 7.1?

@SR5 Tribes,
I regularly post page references. I'll try to add reference quotes, at least summaries too. Once I find them.

JxJxA
QUOTE (Aria @ Nov 13 2013, 10:13 PM) *
CoP is 5E so you're already there biggrin.gif

That said, if you want him to have more of a D rolling role then check out the Looking Glass thread when I post that shortly...we can interleave that with CoP so you've got time for some jet setting back across the pond as required!

Sounds good to me! I'll keep my eyes peeled for it! ^_^
RdMarquis
Ok. Things have calmed down around here a bit. I should be able to manage posting a couple times a week (once, at the very least). I'm going to catch up with the IC thread, but a recap would be very appreciated.
Machine Ghost
@RdMarquis,

Not too much time advance since you were here last, but a lot has been going on.

LeO drone successfully took out the one APC, then got smacked out of the sky by a near miss from a missile launched by a Citymaster that was being concealed by a force 8 (Air?) spirit in the middle of the parking lot, too close to where LeO was shooting from.  The owning mage was in a rigger cocoon in the Citymaster.  Current Mechanicals leader Spindle called a force 7 Beast spirit and went astral to duel with it.  Hit and run sniping was enough to get the mage to go astral to help the spirit.  Oyl (mystic adept) called a puny little force 2 Plant spirit and sic'd it on the body of the mage.  The Air spirit apparently had no instructions about that, and let it past, either ignoring it, or busy with Spindle and his Beast.  The Plant spirit arrived just after the mage went astral, materialized inside the cocoon, and engulfed him.  Knocked him cold before he realized what was happening, and could get back.  Winter, rigger and tac ops for the squad also in the Citymaster.  Tac Ops tried to play doctor, and revive the mage.  Oyl sent another force 2 spirit to prevent that, and finish the mage off.  'Something' knocked out Spindle (in astral) after the mage was initially knocked out.

Jazz successfully jumped into the sewer when Scrapheap opened the way.

New enemy drone showed up overhead immediately after the attack on the APC, later identified as an Optic-X sensor platform.  It has been circling, trying to spot attackers with optical and UWBR.  So far without success.  Sprogget is moving away on the Monocycle, to keep out of range of the UWBR.  As part of the distraction to give Scrapheap time to get Jazz away, Mordred used a grenade that scattered gangers (and pieces).  The second APC and Citymaster have been spewing lead, and apparently dropped a building on him.  He'll have to 'wake up' and crawl out from under.  Sprogget lost contact too, so the commlink is off or down.  The Citymaster has been moving toward the hole blasted in the mall wall, joining the squad and remaining APC.

Gemeaux took a couple of sniper shots, trying to make the squad think they were being attacked by the Spined Drakes and vice versa.  Good shooting, but the goal was messed up by the timing with the grenade from Mordred.  He then went underground to meet up with and assist Jazz and Scrapheap.

Oyl sent a message to Sprogett using the C&C system, when the first mage was knocked out, and the spirit left back to the astral planes, removing the concealment from the Citymaster.  They had a quick chat over commlink, passing a few pieces of information back and forth.  Sprogget had another crazy idea, and is now trying to take control of the Citymaster, coordinating an attack on the rigger using another Spirit.  Oyl called and now has a force 5 Plant spirit following instructions inside the Citymaster.  Starting with using Confusion on the rigger, so slow him down meeting up with the squad at the breach.  Sprogget used a sprite to decrypt the squad communications, as well as the rigger and tac op commlinks.  He has another force 5 Sprite currently hacking the rigger commlink, with instructions to spoof a command to the Citymaster, to run a provided script that will effectively turn it rogue, attacking everything/everone that is armed, and keeping clear of those that are not armed.  He initially sent a message off to Fre∑dom, looking for help to take and hold the Citymaster against the Dissonants.  They are busy fighting a Dissonant worm, and have not responded.  Without that support, the plan got modified, to sneek the onetime instructions into the dogbrain, then get the only wireless access to it disconnected, so it can not be taken back by another hack.

Second mage found in the squad, as well as an adept mixed in with the Spined Drakes, spotted by one of Oyl's watcher spirits that she sent out to track Sprogget, Jazz, Spindle, the Optic-X drone.  When Spindle knocked out (watcher did not get there in time to see it), that spirit changed to patrol astral in the area, watching for any magic signatures.

Jazz’s modified Doberman drone 'found' to be following her, and Sprogget co-opted it to try to take out the 2nd mage.  It got a piece of the mage, but not much damage the first pair of short bursts.  Second attempt pending.

The 2nd mage sent another Air spirit to try to get Jazz back.  The watcher spirit warned Oyl, who told Sprogget, who requested a message passed back to Scrapheap to try delay the kidnapping, to give the drone (Fido) time to deal with the mage.  The Air spirit squished the watcher just as it was delivering the message.  Gemeaux arrived just as the kidnapping was in progress, and managed to get through the immunity / hardened armor with called shots, taking out the Spirit.  Jazz dropped, but apparently unconscious.  Sprogget learned about the spirit being removed by listening to the decrypted squad comm chatter.

While waiting for the sprite to finish the decrypts, Sprogget spent some time preparing some fake sensor data, to make it look like the Optic-X UWBR had spotted a couple of heavily armed/armored combat drones coming up to the breech from inside the mall.  That just inserted as well, and from the comm chatter seems to be believed.  The squad is just launching a couple of rotodrones from one of the APC's in response.  Hopefully this will keep the squad from reentering the mall for cover if/when the Citymaster goes beserk.  Currently that squad is splitting up.  Some heading down into the sewer after Jazz, now that the spirit has failed.  The mage and others are heading for the Citymaster, to support their paymaster Winter, who yelled for help when he noticed the spirit engulfing the rigger.

Rigger currently affected by sustained Confusion, and engulfed but not being damaged.
Tac Op affected by previous Fear
Winter recovered from previous Fear
Spirit holding the rigger and attacking the others
Instructions being sent to the spirit to use Fear then stun attacks on the rigger, to get him out of VR
Sprite hacking rigger commlink, using Suppression power to delay the firewall alert.  Planning to be 'in' not too long after the rigger is 'out'
Scrapheap picking up Jazz to carry, and Gemeaux watching the rear to harress the fireteam about to enter.  They tossed flashbangs down ahead of them.
DR drone carrying Sprogget moving away.
Sprogget monitoring squad communications, and holding the sensor edit for the combat drones.
Oyl sent instruction to the Spirit to get the rigger out of VR and unconscious
Oyl waiting for message from Sprogget to have the spirit kill the rigger, and move the body to the back of the Citymaster, which should break/unplug the physical connection needed to control/command it.
Banjo drone inside a building using UWBR to supply information over tacnet.
G’Eye drone inside mall, moved away from breech to get view of Citymaster, also adding to tacnet data.
Fido drone inside mall, near breech, targeting mage with 2nd IP
Leo drone under half a building, and powered down.
Fake combat drones inside mall, backing up Fido, and appearing to cover the entrance for cross fire.
Aria
Just quickly..if you intend to play in the 2075 version can you put up a quick post saying you intend to in the recruitment thread? That way we might spark other's interest!

Thanks...
RdMarquis
Sure. Stormy Waters, right?
ChromeZephyr
When should I expect the second messenger spirit to deliver it's message? I want to put up another IC post, but dont' want to jump the gun on it telling the two to stay under cover when it wouldn't have arrived yet.
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (ChromeZephyr @ Nov 14 2013, 09:44 AM) *
When should I expect the second messenger spirit to deliver it's message? I want to put up another IC post, but dont' want to jump the gun on it telling the two to stay under cover when it wouldn't have arrived yet.
A couple of combat *turns*. I expect you to be already moving, with fire team 2 on your tail. Nice that you have that infrastructure map on your ’link. Hopefully they do not have an equivalent.
Aria
Modified Timeline

The IC is a little fudged for the purpose of story-telling but should more or less match this
[ Spoiler ]

Trying to keep up and post ahead enough so that you can counter IC, bit of a juggling act but you are free to toss a few more spanners into the works...will get more IC up next week now...
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (Aria @ Nov 15 2013, 10:03 AM) *
Modified Timeline

The IC is a little fudged for the purpose of story-telling but should more or less match this
[ Spoiler ]

Trying to keep up and post ahead enough so that you can counter IC, bit of a juggling act but you are free to toss a few more spanners into the works...will get more IC up next week now...
Since your IC has the rotodrones launched, and firing on the Fake combat drones, it includes content for a time point after 6.1.  Sprogget IC is intended to end at time point 7.2 (not the 8.1 shown in the timeline), so Oyl with only 1 IP will not be able to act on it until 8.1, and the Plant Spirit on 8.2.  Unless you allow Oyl to 'hold action', so that she can act in 7.2 instead of 7.1, and the Spirit can then act (differently) in 8.1.
Machine Ghost
@Aria,

Latest OOC timeline information does not show what the Plant and Winter are doing. Nothing really the characters can do about it, but the player would like to know a little about how that part is progressing. From 5.1
Aria
Modified Timeline

The IC is a little fudged for the purpose of story-telling but should more or less match this, hopefully I’m not getting lost in the details but if you spot a mistake, as ever, give me a shout!
[ Spoiler ]

Machine Ghost
@RdMarquis,

Those underground are off tacnet (OOC here and here), so you will not be able to 'see' Jazz being grabbed, unless you are right there.  Tacnet only knows where Jazz is/was based on Oyl supplying approximate location information based on the watcher spirit, and guess’ about the route and time they will take.  Depending where you are acting in the timeline, the spirit has been sent packing anyway.  All of this 22:xx time makes figuring just when things are happening (relative to others) a lot of guesswork.

QUOTE (Aria @ Nov 20 2013, 10:38 AM) *
Modified Timeline

The IC is a little fudged for the purpose of story-telling but should more or less match this, hopefully I’m not getting lost in the details but if you spot a mistake, as ever, give me a shout!
[ Spoiler ]
Slightly adjusted timing (edited in spoiler), so that the Sprite gets a chance to do the spoof before the link gets broken.  Sprogget’s action was aimed at 7.2 not 7.1, which was why the previous OOC was talking about Oyl holding action (from 7.1), to be able to act when she gets the message from Sprogget.  If not holding action, the Spirit will not be able to act to move the rigger until 8.2

Instructions for the Plant Spirit includes keeping others out of the Citymaster.  So depending on it’s current priorities, I expect it to attack ‘Command’ in 7.2, likely with Fear as the simplest to get/keep him out.

You are hurrying that boarding of the APC some.  They better have practised to get everyone through the door in a single action.  Given the intercepted IC, they might have smile.gif

Winter better be diving out the door, unless he wants to get left alone with the spirit, since the Citymaster will have instructions to keep away from people, or keep them away from it.

Probably not going to get a chance to use them, but the Sprite has more tasks owed.  You might want to roll to see if/how much damage it takes from the IC attack.
RdMarquis
QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ Nov 20 2013, 11:55 AM) *
@RdMarquis,

Those underground are off tacnet (OOC here and here), so you will not be able to 'see' Jazz being grabbed, unless you are right there.  Tacnet only knows where Jazz is/was based on Oyl supplying approximate location information based on the watcher spirit, and guess’ about the route and time they will take.  Depending where you are acting in the timeline, the spirit has been sent packing anyway.  All of this 22:xx time makes figuring just when things are happening (relative to others) a lot of guesswork.

Slightly adjusted timing (edited in spoiler), so that the Sprite gets a chance to do the spoof before the link gets broken.  Sprogget’s action was aimed at 7.2 not 7.1, which was why the previous OOC was talking about Oyl holding action (from 7.1), to be able to act when she gets the message from Sprogget.  If not holding action, the Spirit will not be able to act to move the rigger until 8.2

Instructions for the Plant Spirit includes keeping others out of the Citymaster.  So depending on it’s current priorities, I expect it to attack ‘Command’ in 7.2, likely with Fear as the simplest to get/keep him out.

You are hurrying that boarding of the APC some.  They better have practised to get everyone through the door in a single action.  Given the intercepted IC, they might have smile.gif

Winter better be diving out the door, unless he wants to get left alone with the spirit, since the Citymaster will have instructions to keep away from people, or keep them away from it.

Probably not going to get a chance to use them, but the Sprite has more tasks owed.  You might want to roll to see if/how much damage it takes from the IC attack.

That's what I get for just skimming over the thread. I'll edit the old post and get a new one up.
Machine Ghost
@RdMarquis,

I left the response in the IC that was being preped when you posted OOC. It should be generic enough to not need much tweaking when you adjust your IC.
RdMarquis
QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ Nov 20 2013, 02:01 PM) *
@RdMarquis,

I left the response in the IC that was being preped when you posted OOC. It should be generic enough to not need much tweaking when you adjust your IC.

It's appreciated. I'm working on the my next post now.
Aria
QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ Nov 20 2013, 08:55 PM) *
@RdMarquis,

Those underground are off tacnet (OOC here and here), so you will not be able to 'see' Jazz being grabbed, unless you are right there. Tacnet only knows where Jazz is/was based on Oyl supplying approximate location information based on the watcher spirit, and guess’ about the route and time they will take. Depending where you are acting in the timeline, the spirit has been sent packing anyway. All of this 22:xx time makes figuring just when things are happening (relative to others) a lot of guesswork.

Slightly adjusted timing (edited in spoiler), so that the Sprite gets a chance to do the spoof before the link gets broken. Sprogget’s action was aimed at 7.2 not 7.1, which was why the previous OOC was talking about Oyl holding action (from 7.1), to be able to act when she gets the message from Sprogget. If not holding action, the Spirit will not be able to act to move the rigger until 8.2

Instructions for the Plant Spirit includes keeping others out of the Citymaster. So depending on it’s current priorities, I expect it to attack ‘Command’ in 7.2, likely with Fear as the simplest to get/keep him out.
Fear it was – it didn’t keep him out!
You are hurrying that boarding of the APC some. They better have practised to get everyone through the door in a single action. Given the intercepted IC, they might have smile.gif
Smartass nyahnyah.gif

Probably not going to get a chance to use them, but the Sprite has more tasks owed. You might want to roll to see if/how much damage it takes from the IC attack.
It missed! Winter is staying put…he’s got backup now of sorts…

Timeline:
6.1 Original APC launches 2 rotodrones
6.1 Fire team 2 head for the sewers
6.1 Plant(5) start attacks on rigger to render unconscious
6.1 Crack(5) attack on firewall
6.1 Tac Op finally succumbed to engulf / melee damage
6.1 Winter doing something ‘matrixy’
6.2 Crack(5) attack on firewall
6.2 Plant (5) attack on Winter, Winter FD+edge – missed
6.2 Winter calls off the attack!
6.2 & 6.3 ‘Command’ and fireteam approaching Citymaster
6.3 Crack(5) attack on firewall
7.1 Plant (5) hits Winter, minor damage
7.1 Winter blows the door on the Citymaster
7.1 Crack(5) attack on firewall, firewall breached, Crack(5) logged in
7.1 IC perception to see Sprite, unseen
7.1 ‘Command’ tries to board the Citymaster
7.1 Squad 2 begin to board APC 2 [apart from two members who dive down into the sewers]
7.2 Sprogget tells Oyl to finish off the rigger
7.2 Crack(5) perception to find the hardwired connection
7.2 IC perception to see Sprite, detected
7.2 (Fear?) on Command to keep him out [2 hits = one pissed off commander without fear ork.gif]
7.2 Command attacks Plant (5) with Killing Hands [2 net hits, 5P base damage / -2AP, 2 hits DR = 5 damage!]
7.2 Oyl tells Spirit to goto phase 3…NOTE: if you go ahead with this Command will get an intercept attack!
7.3 Sprite Spoof Citymaster
7.3 IC attack Sprite (assuming Sprite FD Agent misses)
8.1 Plant (5) drags rigger away, breaking wired link to commlink ?!?
8.1 Citymaster goes rogue [charges outer shell, 6Se to fireteam 2 still outside]
8.1 Sprite leaves commlink
8.2 Firewall alert triggered (on commlink)
8.2 Citymaster fires HE missile at APC 2
8.2 and on, Plant(5) works to keep the Citymaster clear of any living metahumans
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (Aria @ Nov 22 2013, 10:12 AM) *
.. snip ..
7.2 Oyl tells Spirit to goto phase 3…NOTE: if you go ahead with this Command will get an intercept attack!
.. snip ..
.. snip ..
Since the attack by Command is happening at the same time as Oyl is giving the mode change command, she will not know soon enough to change it, even it she could.  Plant(5) is on it’s own.  It has instructions to protect itself (as if that is really needed), so will have to choose the action based on local information and the instructions/goal.  If Plant(5) does not think it can get clear to immediately grab the rigger, attacking Command, to 'get' clear seems a valid alternative.  Fear or engulf.  Fear could send him away, Engulf could prevent interference for a moment.  Or regular melee, but 'move' the fight to beside the cocoon, so that next action it can grab the rigger without giving Command an interrupt attack.
QUOTE (Melee Combat @ SR4A156)
Melee combat in Shadowrun assumes that some maneuvering occurs as part of the fight. Rather than a single blow, each attack is a series of moves and counter-moves executed by those involved. Melee combat is not “I punch you and then I wait for your turn to punch me;” rather, it represents several seconds of feints, jabs, punches, counters, attacks, defends, kicks, and bites by both combatants at the same time.
which could allow for that.

SM95 Spirits and Edge says (among others) that spirits will likely use edge to save themselves, or if completion of a service demands.  One option would be to use edge against that intercept attack.  Since that is close quarters inside the Citymaster, might even be able to use the rigger’s body as weapon/shield/ram against Command, while getting on with the activated service.  Knocking him out the door seems like a real good idea.

Up to the GM, since Plant(5) is running on it’s own pilot.  The goal is to get the rigger away (quickly), and everyone in the Citymaster out or dead.

How many IP does command have?  He acted in 7.2, so at least 2.

Can Sprite go full defense to avoid the IC?  It has already acted in 7.3 (assuming it’s 21 initiative lets it go first).  Since that would use up it’s next action in 8.1, giving the IC an extra attack before it could leave, would it gain much?  Possible sequence:
7.3 Spoof
7.3 Interrupt action full defense when IC attacks
8.1 no action, but still on full defense?
8.2 simple action log out 'first', with the initiative 21

Does the full defense carry over to 8.1, during the lost action for the interrupt?  Otherwise, Crack(5) might as well take the hit once only, and get out before the next attack.  It would not know ahead of time that the interrupt would prevent the first hit, but it would know that using it means an extra opportunity for the IC to attack before it can leave.  2 FD and leave could look better than 1 regular defense and leave, but not 1 FD, 1 regular defense (with no chance to go FD), leave.

Other topic.  Idea.  Going forward, it might be good to add a line to the post headers for active/available Spirits and Sprites, in addition to commlinks (and drones for Sprogget).  Earlier, I was including Frankenhunter, while he was with Sprogget.  Including a status (waiting, on task, bound, etc) would give some feel for the resources and current signature, just as the commlink information does.  Adding a link to the post where the Spirit/Sprite was summoned/compiled, and/or instructed would provide some reference information.  Also link to active dice pools.  That could be put/dupplicated in the main character sheet post, with the others you have talked about.  Probably should be duplicated, or just linked, as the character post is not for maintaining longer term history.

More coming later, but posting what I have before I leave for awhile.
JxJxA
Hmmm, so perhaps the "interesting options" the tunnels and thermal tracking are for us to split up. Usually, that's the best thing to do in a dangerous situation, right? nyahnyah.gif

Seriously, though, I'm not sure what to do...I've got some hot smoke grenades that I could toss down all three...
Aria
QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ Nov 23 2013, 02:10 AM) *
Since the attack by Command is happening at the same time as Oyl is giving the mode change command, she will not know soon enough to change it, even it she could. Plant(5) is on it’s own. It has instructions to protect itself (as if that is really needed), so will have to choose the action based on local information and the instructions/goal. If Plant(5) does not think it can get clear to immediately grab the rigger, attacking Command, to 'get' clear seems a valid alternative. Fear or engulf. Fear could send him away, Engulf could prevent interference for a moment. Or regular melee, but 'move' the fight to beside the cocoon, so that next action it can grab the rigger without giving Command an interrupt attack.
which could allow for that.

SM95 Spirits and Edge says (among others) that spirits will likely use edge to save themselves, or if completion of a service demands. One option would be to use edge against that intercept attack. Since that is close quarters inside the Citymaster, might even be able to use the rigger’s body as weapon/shield/ram against Command, while getting on with the activated service. Knocking him out the door seems like a real good idea.

Up to the GM, since Plant(5) is running on it’s own pilot. The goal is to get the rigger away (quickly), and everyone in the Citymaster out or dead.

How many IP does command have? He acted in 7.2, so at least 2.
Yes, 2IP. I’ve thought some more about the spirit and it should be able to evade without any intercept (never really liked intercept attacks anyway!). The spirit will grab the rigger and possibly fling it at Command…I wouldn’t hold much hope of shifting him out of the APC though without some serious winkling…he is a badass initiate adept with a grudge!
Can Sprite go full defense to avoid the IC? It has already acted in 7.3 (assuming it’s 21 initiative lets it go first). Since that would use up it’s next action in 8.1, giving the IC an extra attack before it could leave, would it gain much? Possible sequence:
7.3 Spoof
7.3 Interrupt action full defense when IC attacks
8.1 no action, but still on full defense?
8.2 simple action log out 'first', with the initiative 21

Does the full defense carry over to 8.1, during the lost action for the interrupt? Otherwise, Crack(5) might as well take the hit once only, and get out before the next attack. It would not know ahead of time that the interrupt would prevent the first hit, but it would know that using it means an extra opportunity for the IC to attack before it can leave. 2 FD and leave could look better than 1 regular defense and leave, but not 1 FD, 1 regular defense (with no chance to go FD), leave.
Will take it as a moot point, the sprite will escape, the plot line is drawing to a close so…
Other topic. Idea. Going forward, it might be good to add a line to the post headers for active/available Spirits and Sprites, in addition to commlinks (and drones for Sprogget). Earlier, I was including Frankenhunter, while he was with Sprogget. Including a status (waiting, on task, bound, etc) would give some feel for the resources and current signature, just as the commlink information does. Adding a link to the post where the Spirit/Sprite was summoned/compiled, and/or instructed would provide some reference information. Also link to active dice pools. That could be put/dupplicated in the main character sheet post, with the others you have talked about. Probably should be duplicated, or just linked, as the character post is not for maintaining longer term history.

More coming later, but posting what I have before I leave for awhile.
Happy for people to do that, I won’t insist though, I know I myself like to keep formatting stuff to a minimum so I can bash it out in a doc and then upload it.
QUOTE (JxJxA @ Nov 25 2013, 03:19 AM) *
Hmmm, so perhaps the "interesting options" the tunnels and thermal tracking are for us to split up. Usually, that's the best thing to do in a dangerous situation, right? nyahnyah.gif

Seriously, though, I'm not sure what to do...I've got some hot smoke grenades that I could toss down all three...
Well basically I was giving you the option for an ambush if you wanted one…we are rapidly approaching the end of 2072 Tribes ready for the 2075 version and I wanted to give you the chance to go out with a bang rather than a whimper! The troopers following you will be called off any moment now so if you don’t want to fight then you get away scot free anyway!

Timeline:
6.1 Original APC launches 2 rotodrones
6.1 Fire team 2 head for the sewers
6.1 Plant(5) start attacks on rigger to render unconscious
6.1 Crack(5) attack on firewall
6.1 Tac Op finally succumbed to engulf / melee damage
6.1 Winter doing something ‘matrixy’
6.2 Crack(5) attack on firewall
6.2 Plant (5) attack on Winter, Winter FD+edge – missed
6.2 Winter calls off the attack!
6.2 & 6.3 ‘Command’ and fireteam approaching Citymaster
6.3 Crack(5) attack on firewall
7.1 Winter blows the door on the Citymaster
7.1 Crack(5) attack on firewall, firewall breached, Crack(5) logged in
7.1 IC perception to see Sprite, unseen
7.1 ‘Command’ tries to board the Citymaster
7.1 Squad 2 begin to board APC 2 [apart from two members who dive down into the sewers]
7.2 Sprogget tells Oyl to finish off the rigger
7.2 Crack(5) perception to find the hardwired connection
7.2 IC perception to see Sprite, detected
7.2 (Fear?) on Command to keep him out [2 hits = one pissed off commander without fear ork.gif]
7.2 Command attacks Plant (5) with Killing Hands [2 net hits, 5P base damage / -2AP, 2 hits DR = 5 damage!]
7.2 Oyl tells Spirit to goto phase 3
7.3 Sprite Spoof Citymaster
8.1 Citymaster goes rogue [charges outer shell, 6Se to fireteam 2 still outside]
8.1 Plant (5) drags rigger away, breaking wired link to commlink
8.1 Command advances on Plant…0 net hits, miss!
8.2 Plant (5) attempts engulf on Command, miss
8.2 Command kills the Plant! [3 net hits (Plant rolled edge), 5P base, 2 hits DR = 11 total damage taken]
8.2 Plant(5) works to keep the Citymaster clear of any living metahumans Not unless you bring another one!
JxJxA
A final shoot-out to cover the escape of some lady I don't even know the first thing about?!?

Looks like a thrill-seeker roll opportunity if I ever saw one... nyahnyah.gif

Thrillseeker: Need 2 hits
Will(4) + Cha(3) = 7d6 for 3 hits. Ah, I guess I shall slink away without guns blazing... nyahnyah.gif
Aria
Ah shucks biggrin.gif
JxJxA
@ Aria: Well...I could always just do it anyway... nyahnyah.gif
Machine Ghost
@Aria,

What the GM decides is of course chip.  I do not mind, and even expect, the GM using acts of god, accidents, and other things to arrange some things, and to save an NPC that there are plans for.  I am less happy with that arranging breaking other things that should work.
So winter dropped the FD, to be able to open the door, and got tagged but left mobile.  Fine if the goal is to get him out of a tight spot.  However, for anyone not on the GM’s protected list, the instructions to the plant spirit would have had that hit as an engulf, and he would not have been doing much without breaking that first.  7.2 would have been another (doubled, sustained engulf plus melee) attack on the now immobilized Winter, before hauling the rigger out of the cocoon in 8.1.  If the door does not get opened, Command does not get in, the Spirit does not die, and no one gets a chance at the manual controls.

I have OOC and IC mostly ready to go with Oyl and Sprogget trying (and likely failing) to deal with the setting resulting from using Command to save Winter for later.  Having Winter luckily escape has been mostly expected.  Getting another adept tossed in to kill the spirit, and prevent the takeover of the Citymaster using Winter's luck that he was not engulfed seems a bit over.  The real opportunity should have been someone with the matrix skills (the other Dissonant?) realizing that the attack on the rigger was leaving a path to the Citymaster open, and use the still open rigger commlink to intercept the Sprite, or block the connection.  The spirit did take out the likeliest candidate, the tac ops guy, as part of the housecleaning to prevent local physical interference.

The dog brain has no control while someone is jumped in.  If someone else (from the remaining APC) had been able to jump in to the Citymaster, through the riggers commlink, after the rigger was evicted, and before the sprite sent the spoofed script, the sprite could not have delivered the instructions, and the spirit would have broken the connection before that could be changed.  Result: one dumpshocked remote rigger, one closed up Citymaster with no crew and on its own pilot, with no access to anyone for instructions.  But without Sprogget’s script.  That was why the timing was kept as tight as possible, to leave no more chance than needed of someone responding appropriately.  But there has been some room there.  Keep the rigger alive, jumped in, but confused as long as possible.  Knock him out to clear the way, send the script, and break the connection.

With the latest IC, the dissonants are probably not supposed to have 'command codes' for the Citymaster.  They may be paying for the run, but the equipment belongs only to the squad (and whoever they ‘borrowed’ it from), but another matrix savy person in the other APC would not be too much of a stretch.  Earlier, targeting the APC with the person laying down, was hoping to catch someone that was doing matrix or astral overwatch.  That could have taken out another likely candidate, but was long enough ago that a backup could be active in the remaining APC.

If the goal was to let Winter escape, a simple message to use the emergency manual exit, and jump, without letting others get close enough to board would have been enough.  That seemed like a likely exit plan, and should have let him escape with no more that bruises from the jump, while the rogue instructions would have kept it from letting anyone get close later.  The spirit would have been riding around with the door open, but no business to do, since the Citymaster would keep it’s distance from those that it was not already attacking.

Depending what the plan is for the manually controlled Citymaster, the difference is whether the Mechanicals get the Citymaster, and whether the remains of the squad have to leave fast and probably on foot.  And how close Sprogget comes to killing himself compiling sprites more powerful than he is really ready for.  The pending IC/OOC would leave the Citymaster on manual control, with no one to control it, if the next Plant(5) can get rid of Command when warned how dangerous he can be.  Assuming Winter is not immune, and takes the opportunity to leave.

Is the Citymaster being protected by the GM too?  I warned way back in this scene, that with enough support to keep the second mage from interfering, that Sprogget and Oyl would be able to take at least temporary control of the Citymaster.  I seem to have gotten approval to try.  Has it been working better than expected, just as Oyl’s force 2 plant spirit was effective with the first mage?
Aria
Ok, I can see why you're upset but let me start by saying, yes, yes, yes, you have done considerably better than I expected/anticipated! When I began plotting this out my thoughts were that the military guys would leave with Jazz and that you would mop up the gangers...I should have known that you wouldn't be able to resist pitting yourselves against the foe!

I've been trying to avoid railroading you in any one direction (cardinal sin in my book!) but equally I've been trying to impress on you all the improbability of succeeding against a 'superior' military force...that's kind of gone out of the window a tad as you have more than succeeded in stomping all over them! (Ok, things like Fido turning up were designed to counter the drop out of PCs etc but still, they aren't going to live this one down!) I've perhaps not GM'd them tactically / viciously enough...then again there are reasons behind their actions which may or may not materialise...???

Regarding my decision on the spirit in 7.1, I did that rather than engulf because I am still reticent about spirits using their sustained powers on multiple targets (whatever the forums say)...they are already bloody powerful, even the weedy force 2 in the right circumstances as you have readily demonstrated, and have no penalties for sustaining powers. Command being a kick ass adept was partly my obsession with adepts (he was always there but your handy mage PC disappeared too soon frown.gif), but in theory could equally have been someone with SnS (ugh!), APDS in a shotgun etc...even Winter could have used SnS on the spirit but he was always intended as a cerebral rather than physical foe (and probably wouldn’t last 5 mins on foot in the barrens!!!).

In hindsight a matrix intervention might have been better but I confess I've always struggled with the right balance of matrix power and I am only really getting a handle on it with the supposedly simpler SR5. Oh, and the Citymaster should probably have been completely wifi immune except I've been reading 5 where everything is wifi-on almost as a matter of course! But then you attacking it would have been suicide and I wasn't prepared to do that, PCs should always have a chance, slim, but a chance, to derail all those careful plot shenanigans nyahnyah.gif You have taken temporary control of the Citymaster, certainly long enough to blow the enemy plans to crap...they will now (attempt) to leave with their tails between their legs...

So, how will it go now? Assuming I've not pissed anyone off too badly and this doesn't leave too sour a taste...
  • Ideal scenario (from the point of view of drawing a line under 2072)...what's left of them pack up shop, bug out with their tails between their legs, perhaps ready to return as nemeses in 2075. They've done all the damage they can, the gangers are sloping off too, why not just let them run right? Yeah right, lol
  • More complicated scenario...another spirit intervention knocks out Command and you mop up the remaining, now very disorientated, troops. It is likely that the firewall going to high alert may have some impact...+4 firewall if memory serves and possibly other triggers...? I'd like to find something in this for Gemeaux and Mordred (and perhaps LeFey) to play a role, but perhaps the former can still ambush the sewer troopers?!? Winter may or may not now be able to jump as you say, and perhaps be ferried out of the barrens by the two troopers immediately outside the Citymaster
  • Another scenario...well, that's down to you all, I'm sure you can complicate my life more than scenario 2 if you try biggrin.gif. In shapechanged form it wouldn't take Osha long to be on scene (assuming you don't try to fly in the storm!) to direct things up close (and make me less worried about remote service control of a spirit and me making any more decisions for a PC run entity). It would also be acceptable for her to browbeat gently persuade Cam into doing something now that the troopers & gangers are all but washed up...

I'm happy with whichever way you direct this, and if you want to bring some more NPCs into the mix that's fine. As I've already said, I would like to get back to the street roots in the 2075 Tribes so perhaps there is something in the back of my mind that wants to resist you getting your hands on a tank (and perhaps to stop you feeling like you've won this engagement - going for an 'Empire Strikes Back feel...) but I also recognise that you've worked bloody hard to earn one and outthought my nefarious GM plans and have earned the right to say that you've beaten the odds!

The intervening non RP'd time between 2072 and 2075 should be enough to instil the bitterness and despair that you will be struggling against (and overcoming!) in 2075. Think a military assault was rough? Try an unbeatable flu-like epidemic, rabid gangers and insidious Dissonant plots (although I'll probably save those for actual GM/PC action!)...
JxJxA
@ Aria: Gemeaux is for option 1. As you mentioned before, this is has moved to pro bono work. 3 tunnels + 3 hot smoke grenades = decent getaway screen.
Machine Ghost
@Aria,

It was immediately obvious that there was no way a small group like ours could go directly head|toe to head|toe with a military group as described, even before the Citymaster and Mage showed up.  Most runs though are against corps|groups that can stomp a runner team flat, if they notice and can intercept.  Taking out the mage that way was from a combination of very good timing, and unanticipated strength.  Generally need to work ‘around’ problems, not try to go straight though them.  Living in the barrens, that should be an art form, unless you are part of a large and strong enough gang to use intimidation.  As far as mopping up the gangers, unless actions by the squad give a visible indication that they have been taking us out, seeing what has happened to them should have the gangers in high gear, headed anywhere but here <grin>.  Especially if the squad is in any obvious haste.

In RAW, the only thing I have found about multiple powers, is under duration. 
QUOTE (Sustained Powers)
Critters may sustain a number of powers equal to their Magic at one time
That could be used to limit to a single instance of each power, but also seems reasonable to count separate instances as separate powers, for the context of counting them.  That is for critter powers.  For descriptions purposes, spirits are critters.  The leadup to that on p292 mentions astral critters materializing.

Also, as of 7.1, what Engulf was the Spirit sustaining?  If rigger is unconscious by then (attacks in 6.1 and 6.2?), no need to hold that.  The spirit may not know anything about technology, little about people, but knows it’s own abilities.

Some of the potentially effective ways of attacking spirits was why the spirit tried to start with surprise (concealment) and Fear.  Getting the chance to deal with those present individually, instead of as a mob.  Force 5 is also smart enough to know that letting others into the Citymaster would complicate things for it, even if it has no idea how the tech works.  A wall is still a wall when enemies are on the other side.  For SnS, would that get half armor protection, but still hardened?  At 6e, probably does not mater.  Any hit is going to be enough to beat the armor rating, *UNLESS*, it gets the full rating for that check, but only half for the soak.  Does the half armor mean a modified armor rating for that check?  I expect SnS to still be a 'normal' weapon as far as the immunity is concerned.

Given the tech/cyberpunk game world, I would expect that matrix skills should be at least as common as magic.  With a similar distribution between dabbler and expert.  A 'backup' in the other APC might not have been as skilled as the rigger, tac ops, or whoever might have been doing overwatch in the first APC, but that would not be necessary.  A little skill and knowledge is all that would be needed.  The knowledge could even be part of 'procedures' for the military unit.

If the Citymaster itself had been wi-fi immune/blocked, those inside would not have been able to communicate with the outside team members either.  Everything would have been limited to loud speakers and hand signals.  Having only the Citymaster and rigger off wireless would work.  Just need to have tac op pass information back and forth using audio, or trid screens (the Citymaster sensors can include interior cameras).  If it is to be / was used regularly to haul a mage around, somewhat implied by that second cocoon, a better options would have been to have a ward on the walls.  If that ward belonged to the mage, he would have gotten instant notice of (before) the original attack, if the spirit could have even gotten through it.  Of course, since this seems to be borrowed equipment, that might end up notifying a wagemage that something strange is happening too.

Oyl pulling up a bound spirit is a no go.  She does not even have the binding skill.  As a mysad, she only gets 2 dice from the magic, and just upgraded summoning from 2 to 3.  2 more dice for mentor spirit bonus with Plant.  Base 6 dice pool up until 'this' afternoon.  She used edge to get the force 5, and that took 2 tries.  Trying to bind on top of that did not look practical, so did not add that skill during creation.  Her focus is elsewhere.

Scenario 2 would be very difficult, unless we 'pull up' some significant outside resources.  The pending IC has Sprogget trying to delay/distract Winter with a matrix attack, but the dice went against him.  If Winter can 'flip a switch' to put the Citymaster on full manual control, it would probably need to be reset physically before the dog brain could do anything, and the spirit that Oyl did call up would be too late to stop him (2 combat turns), especially since it would need to focus on Command first.  The IC leaves some possibilities open, but it does not look good.  The Citymaster is the only real firepower around to use for the cleanup.  Knocking out Command would at this point be more to deny resources to the enemy, and maybe get the Citymaster for later use.

Banjo would be able to do the physical reset (mechanical arm, plus snake fingers), but is currently doing UWBR scans from inside a building south-west of the APC and breach position.  Getting past the remaining troups, gangers, Optic-X, rotodrones, soon enough to do any good does not seem likely.  IC is going to have him going dark, now that other recent actions are likely to bring more matrix attention.

Scenario 3 takes too long, and does not really get any extra resources into play.  The best option I can see to get there quickly is an Okapi RW93 (better STR, so better running than Antelope RW92) with speed 20/100 or Kangaroo RW95 30/100.  Running skill could boost that to 105.  The distance from the clinic is about a KM by air.  about 1.25 dodging buildings.  10 combat turns minimum just getting there, with no consideration for safety.  That actually does not sound like long (she would have been good for getting the grating open for Jazz, probably as a Cheetah 15/80 for the sewers, then Baboon (to use tools), or Boa Constrictor (no tools) for STR to open), but what is the squad doing in that time?  Could actually be about half of that, to get inside the remote service limit of 500 meters for her magic of 5.  It would still need to be direction by mental commands, based on what sensor data Sprogget can feed her, for anything inside the Citymaster.  Only supplemental information, to provide information from a viewpoint that the spirit is not familiar with.

If you WANT though, I can direct/IC the spirits myself, based on the instructions given initially.  I was avoiding that, since once a service has been specified/described, the spirit is on it’s own, the PC has minimal/no real control, and the GM has opportunity to specify how it interprets those instructions, based on how smart it is, and if it is feeling contrary, and only wants to do the minimum to comply.  That applies whether the services are remote or not.

Pending looks like an attempt for a variant of scenario one, to try to get them to leave as many ‘toys’ behind as possible.  GM could specify that much of it needs to be sold / disposed of over time, so would not be available to PC’s in 2075.
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (Aria @ Nov 26 2013, 10:33 AM) *
.. snip ..
Intercepted Transmission √@Winter [Command]: I’ll frag the spirit…take the fucking controls before the dog brain blows the shit out of the rest of my men!  There behind that panel.  We’re switching encryption, I haven’t got time to give you the key…just yell!  Fucking technology!

Shit…you’d been hoping breaking the rigger out would be enough for your script to retain control…!
.. snip ..
Actually breaking the hardwired link was always only intended to prevent [re]take over from the matrix.  There was mentioned (OOC only maybe) of possible physical controls.  The spirit was to keep people out of the Citymaster, and away from them, as well as preventing connecting another physical cable.  The instructions were to keep them out of the Citymaster, which covered both cases.

Oyl is summoning another plant spirit SM98.  Looking at the Noxious Breath SR4A296 optional power.  That *looks* like it should be a ranged attack SR4A150, Skill+Agi vs Reaction (with modifiers).  With regular ranged attack, net hits add to the DV.  For Noxious Breath, does that add to the toxin power?  That would increase the toxin resistance target needed to have no effect, while also giving a better chance that the remaining power is high enough to incapacitate the victim (nausea SR4A254).  Alternatively, the net hits could be applied to the stun damage only, assuming the power was not reduced to 0 by the resistance test.  Seems to need one or the other, for the net hits from the attack to have any effect.

Oyl
summoning(3)+magic(2)+mentor(2)+edge(3)-wounds(1) vs plant(5)+Noxious Breath; drain resist WIL(5)+INT(4); pool for exploding 6’s
9d6.hits(5);5d6.hits(5);9d6.hits(5);8d6.hits(5)
- a way to do all of the needed rolls at once, keeping them all together
Summon Plant(5)+Noxious Breath
9d6.hits(5) → [5,5,1,6,5,5,5,4,4] = (6) summon with final edge
5d6.hits(5) → [6,1,5,4,1] = (2) Plant(5) resist
9d6.hits(5) → [1,6,1,4,4,3,1,3,5] = (2) drain resist
8d6.hits(5) → [2,1,1,4,6,1,4,6] exploding 6’s from summoning

nothing from the single 6 reroll, 4 services, 4 drain reduced to 2, 2 more stun, now at 6. Time for a stim patch before doing much more.
Plant(5)+Noxious Breath aka Jimson

QUOTE (Aria @ Nov 26 2013, 10:33 AM) *
.. snip ..
Will take it as a moot point, the sprite will escape, the plot line is drawing to a close so…
Sprite 'escaped', but Sprogget could have put it back to work.  Hacking Winter’s biological node.  But directly attacking the node looks better/faster, to get his attention off of those controls.  Long enough for another Spirit to get a chance to do something.

Cyber combat SR4A236 matrix attacks : icons assault each other
Icons SR4A224 Nodes seen from the outside

Timeline:
.. snip ..
8.1 Plant (5) drags rigger away, breaking wired link to commlink
8.1 Command advances on Plant…0 net hits, miss!
8.2 Plant (5) attempts engulf on Command, miss
8.2 Command kills the Plant!  [3 net hits (Plant rolled edge), 5P base, 2 hits DR = 11 total damage taken]
8.1 Intercepted Transmission about physical controls??
8.2 Sprogget release Crack, compile Fault Sprite
9.1 Winter moving to physical controls / responding to matrix attack
9.1 Oyl summon Plant(5)+Noxious Breath
9.2 Jimson travels in astral to Citymaster
9.3 Jimson concealment
10.1 Jimson materialize (concealed)
10.2 Jimson attack (edge?) Command: engulf, fear, noxious breath?

8.2 Plant(5) works to keep the Citymaster clear of any living metahumans  Not unless you bring another one!
working on that

Sprogget
Compiling(2)+Resonance(4)+VR(2)-Wounds(2) vs Fault(5)+Exploit; Resist fading
Compile Fault(5)+Exploit
6d6.hits(5);5d6.hits(5);8d6.hits(5) → [5,4,3,2,4,3] = (1)
6d6.hits(5);5d6.hits(5);8d6.hits(5) → [6,6,2,6,4] = (3)
6d6.hits(5);5d6.hits(5);8d6.hits(5) → [6,4,4,6,4,2,1,1] = (2)

Ouch!  No tasks, 6 physical fading, reduced to 4, now at 6 physical

Up to the spirit now, and whether the dog brain can regain control if/when Winter is punted.
Machine Ghost
Taking opportunity to try a sample linked IC/OOC post structure for this spirit. With the cross links, needed to edit the first posts, to fill in the post number of the later posts.

Jimson Created: IC : OOC
SM98
Plant(5)+Noxious Breath : B8 A4 R7 S9 CILWM 5 Initiative 10 2/3 Physical/Astral IP
Skills:  Assensing, Astral Combat, Counterspelling, Dodge, Perception, Unarmed Combat
Powers:  Astral Form, Concealment, Engulf, Fear, Guard, Magical Guard, Materialization, Sapience, Silence, +Noxious Breath
Hardened Armor 10
Initiative → 10d6.hits(5)
Skill(5)+AGI(4) → 9d6.hits(5) : Noxious Breath(ranged), Unarmed(melee)
Astral Combat(5)+WIL(5) → 10d6.hits(5) : DV 3
Unarmed Combat(5)+REA(7) → 12d6.hits(5) : Block, Dodge
Body(8)+Armor(10) → 18d6.hits(5) : soak regular weapons
Body(8) → 8d6.hits(5) : soak magical damage

4 Services
1 (remote) Clear and keep clear the Citymaster

Noxious Breath SR4A296, Range 8m, up to 2 targets within 1m of each other
- Inhalation Toxin Speed: Immediate, Power: 5, Effect: Stun damage, nausea
Toxin Resistance Test SR4A254: Body + protective gear, hits reducing Power
Nausea SR4A254: double all wound modifiers for 10 minutes
if reduced power greater than will, incapacitated for 3 combat turns

Dice Pools : Clear the Citymaster
[ Spoiler ]

Machine Ghost
QUOTE (Aria @ Nov 28 2013, 10:35 AM) *
Ok, I can see why you're upset but let me start by saying, yes, yes, yes, you have done considerably better than I expected/anticipated!  When I began plotting this out my thoughts were that the military guys would leave with Jazz and that you would mop up the gangers...I should have known that you wouldn't be able to resist pitting yourselves against the foe!
.. snip ..
This really started from looking for an opportunity to get Jazz away from them.  Pick their pocket.  You threw more forces in while that was in progress (and looking to succeed, though losing the suppressive fire so quick hurt; in a underground maze, the chased should have an advantage, if the pursuers have any need for caution).  That happened to open another opportunity.  2 Actually with the mage and Citymaster.  From there, it has been fairly straight forward, though timing was important.

QUOTE (Aria @ Nov 28 2013, 10:35 AM) *
.. snip ..
I've been trying to avoid railroading you in any one direction (cardinal sin in my book!) but equally I've been trying to impress on you all the improbability of succeeding against a 'superior' military force...that's kind of gone out of the window a tad as you have more than succeeded in stomping all over them!  (Ok, things like Fido turning up were designed to counter the drop out of PCs etc but still, they aren't going to live this one down!)
.. snip ..
That should add some to the tribal street rep smile.gif  This has not been a quiet run for that bunch.  News will get out.  Even if Bit has to arrange to post some edited sensor logs of the action to a shadow forum.  That little escapade will look good as an attachment on the Jackpoint post.  Better if someone from outside puts it there though.
Aria
It's probably not going to be before mid week that I can get any more IC up...I'll do my best but this week is going to be manic!

bear with me and I'll try and get the epic conclusion underway in style!
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (Aria @ Dec 1 2013, 07:30 AM) *
It's probably not going to be before mid week that I can get any more IC up...I'll do my best but this week is going to be manic!

bear with me and I'll try and get the epic conclusion underway in style!
Do you have any already decided information about what damage Spindle took?  Between the apparent over cast/summon of the spirit, then whatever smacked him when Oyl took out the mage.  I could use it for Oyl and the healing at the clinic.  Though maybe not quite yet.
ChromeZephyr
Looking forward to finishing out the 2072s with style...now that I should have regular posting time again.
Aria
QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ Dec 1 2013, 09:46 PM) *
Do you have any already decided information about what damage Spindle took?  Between the apparent over cast/summon of the spirit, then whatever smacked him when Oyl took out the mage.  I could use it for Oyl and the healing at the clinic.  Though maybe not quite yet.

I'd say don't worry about it...he was removed by GM fiat so that you had to sweat for your victory...he'll be back on his feet by 2075 (albeit a tad nutty!) ork.gif
ChromeZephyr
Crazy + Rat shaman = nothing good can come of this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012