Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2072 [+4 Months]
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78
phlapjack77
@VirtualScream, notsoevildm

Dante bought a 4m cubed (2x2x1) faraday cage for 400nuyen. Avail is 4 so I thought it would be readily available, if not Dante also has the juryrigger quality to try to put something like this together
Notsoevildm
@Virtual Scream / Dante
QUOTE (phlapjack77 @ Dec 7 2012, 03:54 AM) *
Dante bought a 4m cubed (2x2x1) faraday cage for 400nuyen. Avail is 4 so I thought it would be readily available, if not Dante also has the juryrigger quality to try to put something like this together
Congratulations, you now have a very dodgy looking IKEA-quality Faraday cage in your living room/bedroom/other room?

You can either make a Computer + Logic extended test or just assume he gets the same results as Dubstep in this post.

The >itu@l5cr3@m file on his commlink is a hand. The one on the iBall is an eyeball.

For the iBall, a Hardware + Logic test will at least let him know what is wrong with it. A second roll might even fix it.

Aria
QUOTE (JxJxA @ Dec 7 2012, 12:33 AM) *
That pump station looks mighty suspicious...

It's the pumping station that sent water from the reservoir to wherever it needed to go... What's suspicious about that?!? ork.gif

You might want to adjust your comment about petrol???

One last thing, the Cat has a sat link so you have matrix access!
Aria
@NSEDM

IP1: Load expert defence and send message 1
IP2: Load attack and send message 2
IP3: Attack and send message 3

11D Matrix Attack [Attack+Cybercombat+VR+Targeting]
11d6.hits(5) → [6,5,6,4,2,3,3,4,4,2,4] = (3) could be worse given she's not that good at it! Need to invest in attack clearly! If she lives through this nyahnyah.gif

3 def rolls (in case you need more?!?) note: I've not deducted anything for a response decrease because I'm not sure what that is at the moment...firewall+response, doh, forgot expert defence for 2D...I'll not roll, perhaps you won't need to deduct so many D nyahnyah.gif
16d6.hits(5) → [6,2,4,4,6,1,5,6,5,6,1,5,3,5,4,2] = (8 )

16d6.hits(5) → [1,1,2,6,2,3,6,5,4,6,5,4,6,2,5,5] = (8 )

16d6.hits(5) → [4,5,1,5,3,1,2,1,1,1,4,1,5,4,4,1] = (3)

3 res rolls system+armour
14d6.hits(5) → [5,3,6,3,6,1,1,1,6,2,6,4,2,6] = (6)

14d6.hits(5) → [6,2,5,6,5,2,2,2,3,1,6,1,6,3] = (6)

14d6.hits(5) → [4,5,1,5,5,1,4,6,3,2,4,6,5,2] = (6)
JxJxA
Ah, ok, I saw pump and thought gas pump. nyahnyah.gif Changing the reference.
Aria
QUOTE (Notsoevildm @ Dec 6 2012, 02:52 PM) *
@E:PL/Chi Town/Copperhead

Initiative: 6 + 6d6.hits(5)=4 = 10, 1 pass

Shot at Ghoul1: Agi 3 + Shotgun 4 + Smartlink 2 = 9d6.hits(5)=2

Shot at Ghoul2: Agi 3 + Shotgun 4 + Smartlink 2 - switching target 2 (foregrip compensates for recoil) = 7d6.hits(5)=1

Nice roll on initiative, but pretty crappy shots. If she does hit anything, base damage is 7P, -1AP.
They could have been better certainly! You’ve got loads of karma stored up I suspect…might be worth an investment smile.gif

Can I have some melee defence and damage resistance rolls please? I suspect the only chance they’ve got of hurting you is with their language but still…

I rolled perception for you…sorry nyahnyah.gif

As an aside I’ve been reading a lot recently about the cost of raising magic ratings for those who have got cyber. Not sure how you did it when you bought up your magic but consensus seems to be that if your magic is reduced to 3 by cyber then the cost to get it to 4 is 20 karma rather than calculating what it would be to raise if you hadn’t reduced it with cyber. I’m not sure how I feel about that from a game balance (it encourages mages to take cyber) but it has a clear benefit for Copperhead and it seems to be RAW so I thought I’d mention it! Aren’t I a nice GM?!? ork.gif
Aria
QUOTE (JxJxA @ Dec 7 2012, 04:55 PM) *
Ah, ok, I saw pump and thought gas pump. nyahnyah.gif Changing the reference.

Ok...

QUOTE (JxJxA @ Dec 6 2012, 11:18 PM) *
"I do not like this," grumbles Gemeaux. He frowns as he surveys the vast array of nature and nothingness that stretches out in front of them.

"There is no high ground, save for that old pump station. And a pump station has the sinister possibility hiding any type of liquid..."
I hate to be really awkward (well I don't but you get the sentiment) but if you look at the google maps nearest photo of the reservoir you will see there is a fair amount of high ground...probably too much for your liking!!!

I tried to link it but no luck...just follow the 2072 UK map link and drag the little man to the nearest photo spot and you'll see what I mean! There's also a pretty picture of the dam and the pump station - although my vision of it will be a tad bigger circa 2072
JxJxA
Ok, oops. I didn't think to check the map. I'll figure out an appropriate edit. smile.gif
Notsoevildm
QUOTE (Aria @ Dec 7 2012, 06:07 PM) *
They could have been better certainly! You’ve got loads of karma stored up I suspect…might be worth an investment smile.gif
Virtual Scream has certainly upped my post count but not sure if I want to use it all on Copperhead. Although increasing firearms does seem appropriate given how much she has had to rely on it in Chicago.

Can I have some melee defence and damage resistance rolls please? I suspect the only chance they’ve got of hurting you is with their language but still…
Parrying: Agi 3 + cyberweapons 4 = 7d6.hits(5)=2, 7d6.hits(5)=1, 7d6.hits(5)=1, 7d6.hits(5)=2, 7d6.hits(5)=0, 7d6.hits(5)=3, 7d6.hits(5)=2, 7d6.hits(5)=3, 7d6.hits(5)=4, 7d6.hits(5)=3 - no glitches
Dodging (if can't parry) = Rea 3 + dodge 2 = 5d6.hits(5)=2, 5d6.hits(5)=1, 5d6.hits(5)=2, 5d6.hits(5)=3, 5d6.hits(5)=4, 5d6.hits(5)=1, 5d6.hits(5)=3, 5d6.hits(5)=1, 5d6.hits(5)=0, 5d6.hits(5)=1 - roll 6 is a glitch, 9 is a crit glitch (just hope these are not needed)
Soaking damage: Body 6 + Impact 10 = 16d6.hits(5)=6, 16d6.hits(5)=7, 16d6.hits(5)=6, 16d6.hits(5)=8, 16d6.hits(5)=3, 16d6.hits(5)=4, 16d6.hits(5)=5, 16d6.hits(5)=8, 16d6.hits(5)=4, 16d6.hits(5)=4 - she might not be much good at anything but she is pretty tough.

Attacking ghouls, starting with the one on her head, then any near the kids: Agi 3 + cyberweapons 4 + reach 1 (offensive) = 8d6.hits(5)=4, 8d6.hits(5)=3, 8d6.hits(5)=4, 8d6.hits(5)=1, 8d6.hits(5)=1, 8d6.hits(5)=6, 8d6.hits(5)=2, 8d6.hits(5)=4, 8d6.hits(5)=3, 8d6.hits(5)=3 - no glitches, base damage is 4P

I rolled perception for you…sorry nyahnyah.gif
Like it would make a difference - think she rolls only about 4 dice.

As an aside I’ve been reading a lot recently about the cost of raising magic ratings for those who have got cyber. Not sure how you did it when you bought up your magic but consensus seems to be that if your magic is reduced to 3 by cyber then the cost to get it to 4 is 20 karma rather than calculating what it would be to raise if you hadn’t reduced it with cyber. I’m not sure how I feel about that from a game balance (it encourages mages to take cyber) but it has a clear benefit for Copperhead and it seems to be RAW so I thought I’d mention it! Aren’t I a nice GM?!? ork.gif
Not sure if going by RAW is nice, but I'll take what I can get. Plus, that seems to be how it is implemented in Chummer.
Slacker
@Virtual Scream

Dubstep is trying to run a trace on the packet of data you said the virtrual scream file was sending out from his commlink periodically.
[ Spoiler ]

If a standard track test works, I amazingly would have gotten it on the first test. But I'm guessing this will be a lot harder than that. So I put in the full list of my extended test rolls for you.
Notsoevildm
@Virtual Scream / Slacker
QUOTE (Slacker @ Dec 7 2012, 10:43 PM) *
If a standard track test works, I amazingly would have gotten it on the first test. But I'm guessing this will be a lot harder than that. So I put in the full list of my extended test rolls for you.
Be amazed! And yes, it is going to be a lot harder than that.
Slacker
@Virtual Scream

Is there any commonality Dubstep can identify among the thousands of nodes his tracking program found? Or does it appear to be completely random?

I'm guessing that with his contact at Mitsuhama mentioning they've isolated some different parts of it that this thing got spread out over many, many nodes across the Matrix.

He might even try hacking a couple of smaller nodes to try pulling their portions of the >1rtu@l5cr3@m file onto the Nexus system. Maybe trying to bring the pieces together to see if he can tell anything more about the whole of it.
Notsoevildm
@Virtual Scream / Aria
The attack fries Gossamer for 6 boxes of damage. She doesn't think she can take (or want to take) another hit like that.
Notsoevildm
@Virtual Scream
QUOTE (Slacker @ Dec 7 2012, 11:11 PM) *
Is there any commonality Dubstep can identify among the thousands of nodes his tracking program found? Or does it appear to be completely random?
Not without further research. He would need to do an analysis of the nodes.

I'm guessing that with his contact at Mitsuhama mentioning they've isolated some different parts of it that this thing got spread out over many, many nodes across the Matrix.
At least 9999 nodes. First reports are also coming in on trid of virtual scream 'attacks'.

He might even try hacking a couple of smaller nodes to try pulling their portions of the >1rtu@l5cr3@m file onto the Nexus system. Maybe trying to bring the pieces together to see if he can tell anything more about the whole of it.
He will need to identify targets and then hack them. Is he planning to do this slow and careful or fast and dirty?
The Big Peat
QUOTE (Notsoevildm @ Dec 4 2012, 07:27 AM) *
@Virtual Scream

The Big Peat/Uller Combat resolved. Your mighty commlink and trideo player were easily vanquished by the virtual scream.

Well I'm just shocked and appalled.

Anyway, Uller's off to see his contact - and his workbag contains things like his shotgun, spare ammo, restraints and so on - I'll do a definitive list if you want.
Slacker
QUOTE (Notsoevildm @ Dec 8 2012, 05:41 AM) *
@Virtual Scream
Not without further research. He would need to do an analysis of the nodes.

What would you like me to roll for this analysis?

QUOTE (Notsoevildm @ Dec 8 2012, 05:41 AM) *
He will need to identify targets and then hack them. Is he planning to do this slow and careful or fast and dirty?

Dubstep will take it slow and careful. Tell me any rolls you want from me.
Still, when it gets close to 22:00, Cindy with break in on his thoughts to remind him that Reed Caspa is DJing at his favorite club tonight. With that he will decide he needs a break to reaffirm that he survived the massive attack to his commlinks.
Notsoevildm
QUOTE (Slacker @ Dec 8 2012, 03:06 PM) *
What would you like me to roll for this analysis?
One Data Search + Analyze program test to detect any patterns. Takes about 10 minutes to run.
Then a Logic + Matrix knowledge check to actually recognise them.

QUOTE (Slacker @ Dec 8 2012, 03:06 PM) *
Dubstep will take it slow and careful. Tell me any rolls you want from me.
Still, when it gets close to 22:00, Cindy with break in on his thoughts to remind him that Reed Caspa is DJing at his favorite club tonight. With that he will decide he needs a break to reaffirm that he survived the massive attack to his commlinks.
Having selected a couple of easy targets from the list of 9999, it only takes about a minute to locate them.
Finding a quiet way in is what takes time. I am assuming Dubstep is going for rating 1 (system 1, firewall 1) or rating 2 (system 2, firewall 2) nodes, so he needs 8 or 10 successes on a Hacking + Exploit extended test with an interval of 1 hour (assuming he is in VR) to get an admin account. Once in, transferring the >1rtu@l5cr3@m files to the Nexus only takes a couple of minutes including changing system logs to conceal the hack.
RdMarquis
@Aria

Logic (5) + Infiltration (4) + Adept (2) = 11d6

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3817312/

7 hits on infiltration.
phlapjack77
QUOTE (Notsoevildm @ Dec 7 2012, 07:26 PM) *
@Virtual Scream / Dante
Congratulations, you now have a very dodgy looking IKEA-quality Faraday cage in your living room/bedroom/other room?

You can either make a Computer + Logic extended test or just assume he gets the same results as Dubstep in this post.

The >itu@l5cr3@m file on his commlink is a hand. The one on the iBall is an eyeball.

For the iBall, a Hardware + Logic test will at least let him know what is wrong with it. A second roll might even fix it.

The cage'll be in Dante's workshop, where he keeps his truck and other tools.

I was just assuming that he would have the same results (or worse) as Dubstep smile.gif In this group, Dante is def not the hacker...

Dante's actions will be to try to copy virtual scream to a datachip(s) as a first step, if possible.

For the iBall, Hardware + Logic (5): 1 hit to diagnose it, 1 hit to fix it
Machine Ghost
@Aria,
GM question, will you accept fake ID and licenses being upgraded to higher ratings at the price difference, or do I need to pay for a full new ID?
Ref Question to Jazz in commcall about the new Fake SIN
mister__joshua
Cipher/Virtual scream
Defence Test 15 dice=4 hits

Resistance Test 9 dice=3 hits

May spend edge to re-roll misses on the defence test depending on how bad it looks, if that's ok. As I went defensive do I get to act at all this pass? Perception tests are free right? I may have already got all I'm going to that way though.
Aria
QUOTE (Notsoevildm @ Dec 8 2012, 11:05 AM) *
@Virtual Scream / Aria
The attack fries Gossamer for 6 boxes of damage. She doesn't think she can take (or want to take) another hit like that.

Ouch!!! Time to run away and look up the rules for escaping into the matrix again I think nyahnyah.gif

QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ Dec 10 2012, 07:18 AM) *
@Aria, GM question, will you accept fake ID and licenses being upgraded to higher ratings at the price difference, or do I need to pay for a full new ID?

I think it’s reasonable that if you are upgrading an ID to pay the difference – representing taking that ID and adding some additional info to give it greater authenticity (which must be less expensive than starting from scratch!?). If it’s a new SIN then you would need to start from scratch.
Notsoevildm
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Dec 10 2012, 10:05 AM) *
Cipher/Virtual scream
Defence Test 15 dice=4 hits

Resistance Test 9 dice=3 hits

May spend edge to re-roll misses on the defence test depending on how bad it looks, if that's ok. As I went defensive do I get to act at all this pass? Perception tests are free right? I may have already got all I'm going to that way though.
At the moment it's looking like 7 boxes of physical damage in addition to 3 more boxes of stun damage (taking your stun track to 9), so you might want to edge it.

To get more info on the agent you will need to make a Computer + Analyze test (simple action) and can peform one more simple action before you black out.
mister__joshua
QUOTE (Notsoevildm @ Dec 10 2012, 12:58 PM) *
At the moment it's looking like 7 boxes of physical damage in addition to 3 more boxes of stun damage (taking your stun track to 9), so you might want to edge it.

To get more info on the agent you will need to make a Computer + Analyze test (simple action) and can peform one more simple action before you black out.

Cool, I'll have a think and decide what to do. I know with only 1 simple action before blackout I probably should run, but my curiosity will definitely get the better of me. After all what have I got to fear in an imaginary world, and this could be something important, information that could unlock true knowledge of the matrix! biggrin.gif

ps. Don't kill me please....
Notsoevildm
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Dec 10 2012, 04:18 PM) *
Cool, I'll have a think and decide what to do. I know with only 1 simple action before blackout I probably should run, but my curiosity will definitely get the better of me. After all what have I got to fear in an imaginary world, and this could be something important, information that could unlock true knowledge of the matrix! biggrin.gif

ps. Don't kill me please....
Oh, I'm not going to kill you yet. I'm only getting warmed up! ork.gif

In addition to rerolling edge on the defence test (if you choose to do so) plus any rolls for that other simple action, you can also make a Bod + Will test to see how many boxes of stun damage you recover at the end of the first hour you are out cold.
ChromeZephyr
@notsoevildm: Think my question must have gotten lost in the shuffle, so I'll ask again: If Alex turns on his main 'link is the noise going to start again, or would he be able to make a call on it?
Notsoevildm
QUOTE (ChromeZephyr @ Dec 10 2012, 05:12 PM) *
@notsoevildm: Think my question must have gotten lost in the shuffle, so I'll ask again: If Alex turns on his main 'link is the noise going to start again, or would he be able to make a call on it?
No weird noises, it works fine if just a little slow (Game effect: >1rtu@l5cr3@m counts as (System rating +1) active programs, so it will reduce a commlink's Response value by 1 - not counting any additional response decreases caused by other active programs). For Alex that means that the >1rtu@l5cr3@m gut on his main link counts as 5 active programs and reduces its response from 4 to 3 (with no other programs running). Plus, there is a gross stomach icon floating in his field of view.

@Virtual Scream/all:
Do shout out if you think I missed something (OOC or IC). I was thinking of doing a weekly OOC round-up of what the PCs were up to (at least until I get you all together, if that ever actually happens). It would certainly help me, would you also find it useful?
Aria
@NSEDM (Gossamer):
IP1 turn on spare link and scan for other nodes around (I’m guessing a complex and a free action…)
IP2 complex action to move her code into the new node (she’s not giving up on her home node just yet so this is just the moving her icon onto something she has an admin account on). She’ll keep scanning for clean nodes if she needs to…
IP3 hope like hell it’s clean and then go from there…

Can I go with bought successes on the scan? Not sure right now what I need to roll…

And yes, a summary would be great! smile.gif
ChromeZephyr
@notsoevildm: That would be very helpful to me, if you're interested in doing it. And I'll craft Alex's next IC post with that data in mind.
Notsoevildm
QUOTE (Aria @ Dec 10 2012, 06:30 PM) *
@NSEDM (Gossamer):
IP1 turn on spare link and scan for other nodes around (I’m guessing a complex and a free action…)
IP2 complex action to move her code into the new node (she’s not giving up on her home node just yet so this is just the moving her icon onto something she has an admin account on). She’ll keep scanning for clean nodes if she needs to…
IP3 hope like hell it’s clean and then go from there…

Can I go with bought successes on the scan? Not sure right now what I need to roll…

And yes, a summary would be great! smile.gif
IP1:
Spare link powers up. I'll assume it was on standby and not OFF.
Scan of active and passive nodes is not very hopeful. There is her body and the house node (both of which are under attack), a few dumb devices like the fridge, trid player etc. (mostly linked to the house node). Give me an edge roll to spot any other nodes in range which are a) hopefully not infected and b) on which she has an admin account (you get 1 node per hit plus a plausible description of what it could be). Note: she does have an admin account on her commlink and as it was not running, it might well be scream free.
Need a defence test to avoid the scream. And a resist damage test just in case it's not enough.
IP2:
She can either move to her commlink or to another node (if any turned up on the edge test).
Need a defence test to avoid getting hit by the scream as she leaves. And a resist damage test just in case it's not enough.
IP3: Assuming she makes it to a clean node, she can then either jump to another one or attempt to shut down or kill the wireless signal on the one she is in. The latter options require a System + Response (10, 1 combat turn) extended test. No power/wireless means no scream but she would be stuck in the current node until someone turned it back on or she reactivated the wireless signal.
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (Aria @ Dec 10 2012, 05:50 AM) *
QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ Dec 10 2012, 12:18 AM) *
@Aria, GM question, will you accept fake ID and licenses being upgraded to higher ratings at the price difference, or do I need to pay for a full new ID?

I think it’s reasonable that if you are upgrading an ID to pay the difference – representing taking that ID and adding some additional info to give it greater authenticity (which must be less expensive than starting from scratch!?). If it’s a new SIN then you would need to start from scratch.
The idea was to improve the main 'Mechanicals' ID that Sprogget started with, so simple improve in place is perfect.  This is intended to be his 'public' ID, that should be kept away from any shadow related activities.

Hmmm, going to need a 'budget' for fake ID's.  For later though.
phlapjack77
Man, I just had a thought. Everyone else has probably figured it out long ago...

Too bad Dante wouldn't have all this meta-game info smile.gif
Aria
QUOTE (Notsoevildm @ Dec 7 2012, 09:05 PM) *
see… I knew all they had going for them was harsh language and bad breath nyahnyah.gif …and the fact that the kids are unarmoured and untrained and oh so vulnerable ork.gif

Attacking ghouls, starting with the one on her head, then any near the kids: Agi 3 + cyberweapons 4 + reach 1 (offensive) = 8d6.hits(5)=4, 8d6.hits(5)=3, 8d6.hits(5)=4, 8d6.hits(5)=1, 8d6.hits(5)=1, 8d6.hits(5)=6, 8d6.hits(5)=2, 8d6.hits(5)=4, 8d6.hits(5)=3, 8d6.hits(5)=3 - no glitches, base damage is 4P

The fight goes something like this unless you want to jump in and change things before I post the IC. I’d not normally run it like this but you’ve already given me a load of rolls so it seems simplest…alternatively you could compose the IC based on this list if you like?
Rnd 1: C digs her razors in G1 on her back, wins combat, throws him off back, 4 damage. G1 strikes back but fails to wound. G2 hangs back, G3-5 advance on group. K&J fire wildly with about as much chance of hitting anything useful as I have of winning the lottery (I don’t play the lottery)!
Rnd 2: C attacks G1 does another 4 damage and tips him back into water. G2 follows his buddies. G 3&4 attack C grabbing at her legs trying to drag her into the water with little success. G5 grabs J and pulls him into the soup (oh crap!!!). K fires more wild shots and wings G5 (thank the gods for edge!)
Rnd 3: C jumps into water after J (ignoring G2-4?!?), attacks G5 for 3 damage, G1 slinks off. G3&4 attack C again, climbing up her back, no damage (again!!!). G2 advances on K leering but not an attack this rnd. K backs off
Rnd 4: Big boom from somewhere above. C does no damage. G1 gone, G2 runs, G5, 3&4 all go for C for lots of friends in melee bonus! And…er, nor surprise, no damage…
Rnd 5: Remaining ghouls freak when lights stab down from above somewhere and they realise their leader has legged it. C royally frags G5!...

Not sure if going by RAW is nice, but I'll take what I can get. Plus, that seems to be how it is implemented in Chummer.
It just feels wrong somehow… my reservations are probably a hangover from past versions of SR where I’m pretty sure it didn’t work like that… makes taking some ‘ware at character gen a good idea I think, and that fits my transhumanist agenda so that’s ok really smile.gif. Talking of taking what you can get…when you finally get the hell out of dodge an agility upgrade on those lovely cyberarms might be in order – would increase your combat effectiveness without upsetting any magic that you have! Sure Argent could put you in touch with a discrete cyberdoc…
Notsoevildm
eek.gif
QUOTE (Aria @ Dec 11 2012, 01:57 PM) *
see… I knew all they had going for them was harsh language and bad breath nyahnyah.gif …and the fact that the kids are unarmoured and untrained and oh so vulnerable ork.gif

The fight goes something like this unless you want to jump in and change things before I post the IC. I’d not normally run it like this but you’ve already given me a load of rolls so it seems simplest…alternatively you could compose the IC based on this list if you like?
Rnd 1: C digs her razors in G1 on her back, wins combat, throws him off back, 4 damage. G1 strikes back but fails to wound. G2 hangs back, G3-5 advance on group. K&J fire wildly with about as much chance of hitting anything useful as I have of winning the lottery (I don’t play the lottery)!
Rnd 2: C attacks G1 does another 4 damage and tips him back into water. G2 follows his buddies. G 3&4 attack C grabbing at her legs trying to drag her into the water with little success. G5 grabs J and pulls him into the soup (oh crap!!!). K fires more wild shots and wings G5 (thank the gods for edge!)
Rnd 3: C jumps into water after J (ignoring G2-4?!?), attacks G5 for 3 damage, G1 slinks off. G3&4 attack C again, climbing up her back, no damage (again!!!). G2 advances on K leering but not an attack this rnd. K backs off
Rnd 4: Big boom from somewhere above. C does no damage. G1 gone, G2 runs, G5, 3&4 all go for C for lots of friends in melee bonus! And…er, nor surprise, no damage…
Rnd 5: Remaining ghouls freak when lights stab down from above somewhere and they realise their leader has legged it. C royally frags G5!..
I like it! I'll see if I get a chance to post something myself but if you have time (LOL) feel free to post something dramatic and I'll pick it up at pulling J out of the water. Glad I didn't have to resort to plan B (for BOOM) and let off a flashbang at ground zero.

QUOTE (Aria @ Dec 11 2012, 01:57 PM) *
It just feels wrong somehow… my reservations are probably a hangover from past versions of SR where I’m pretty sure it didn’t work like that… makes taking some ‘ware at character gen a good idea I think, and that fits my transhumanist agenda so that’s ok really smile.gif. Talking of taking what you can get…when you finally get the hell out of dodge an agility upgrade on those lovely cyberarms might be in order – would increase your combat effectiveness without upsetting any magic that you have! Sure Argent could put you in touch with a discrete cyberdoc…
Yeah, it would be (new rating + essence loss rounded up)*5 or 35 to go to a virtual 7 - 3 = 4 in the old rules. I think I could manage this if I burn a big chunk of my Virtual Scream karma on her, so I'm cool if you want to rule it this way.

As you mentioned them I have some ideas for the arms. Copper delivered a package to the Clearwater/Stillwater cybermancer troll(?) just before this run. I was thinking along the following lines (awaiting hyterical laughter followed by a 'not an effing chance' post) so some of this could be for longer term:
1. Upgrade arms to alphaware, with at least same stats and ideally with an agility increase of 1-3 (depending on cost).
2. Replace razors with weapon focus razors, hence the need for a cybermancer.
3. Switch out dermal armor for dragon scale orthoskin (playing the system a bit here to benefit from halved bioware essence cost, reducing current essence cost to 2 and leaving a 1 essence hole).
4. Fill essence hole with essence restoring serum (this can be later).
ChromeZephyr
"Essence-restoring serum"? Is that something that exists now?
Notsoevildm
QUOTE (ChromeZephyr @ Dec 11 2012, 04:52 PM) *
"Essence-restoring serum"? Is that something that exists now?
Genetic revitalization from Augmentation. Cheap at only 75k + 20k per 0.1 essence restored. Treatment takes 1 month per 0.1 restored. So for Copperhead to restore that 1 point hole, that would be 275k and 10 months game time. Does not restore lost magic points or reductions to max score. It is mainly just a long term ingame goal!
ChromeZephyr
Huh. Well, not my cup of tea (I prefer my cyberware to be soul-destroying), but it does seem to be the direction the game is heading.
Notsoevildm
QUOTE (ChromeZephyr @ Dec 11 2012, 07:29 PM) *
Huh. Well, not my cup of tea (I prefer my cyberware to be soul-destroying), but it does seem to be the direction the game is heading.
Yeah, in my tabletop SR4 campaign, the GM has nixed it (along with SnS, form fitting armor stacking with normal armor and some other stuff).
ChromeZephyr
That's a lot of nixing. Probably a lot less headaches for the GM, too. wink.gif
mister__joshua
Haha. Read Cipher's latest post. You're really not doing anything to dispel his delusions are you! biggrin.gif
karhig
@Virtual Scream / NSEDM
If you want anything to 'happen' while Cat is in the club then let me know, otherwise I'm going to continue on with her partying and try and swing past Anathma in the same evening. Partly to show off her look, but mostly to see if the techies Frank mentioned are around.
Notsoevildm
QUOTE (karhig @ Dec 12 2012, 01:33 PM) *
@Virtual Scream / NSEDM
If you want anything to 'happen' while Cat is in the club then let me know, otherwise I'm going to continue on with her partying and try and swing past Anathma in the same evening. Partly to show off her look, but mostly to see if the techies Frank mentioned are around.
Okay to move on to Anathma. 'With a final ping, the program terminates and the target fades from her AR display.' I was going to post something about her overhearing some talk about >1rtu@l5cr3@m, but mainly friend of a friend, which could explaing why the club is not so busy - the people that got hit with the virus are trying to get their commlinks fixed. You could work that into your next post. The crowd at Anathma would also have been affected by it.
Notsoevildm
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Dec 12 2012, 10:03 AM) *
Haha. Read Cipher's latest post. You're really not doing anything to dispel his delusions are you! biggrin.gif
Glad you liked it. There's more to come!

Regarding the 7 hits on the Analyze test:
- It was something like an agent but much more
- It was way more powerful than anything he has ever seen
- So much data, some encrypted, some not. A lot of it now in his head.
- The audible part of the scream was a complex combination of programs including a data transfer routine (although calling it that is doing it an injustice), an exploit program and several attack programs
Aria
QUOTE (Notsoevildm @ Dec 10 2012, 07:59 PM) *
IP1:
Spare link powers up. I'll assume it was on standby and not OFF.
Scan of active and passive nodes is not very hopeful. There is her body and the house node (both of which are under attack), a few dumb devices like the fridge, trid player etc. (mostly linked to the house node). Give me an edge roll to spot any other nodes in range which are a) hopefully not infected and b) on which she has an admin account (you get 1 node per hit plus a plausible description of what it could be). Note: she does have an admin account on her commlink and as it was not running, it might well be scream free.
Need a defence test to avoid the scream. And a resist damage test just in case it's not enough.
Who turns anything off these days? Her edge is 1 – that’s surely why she’s had the bad luck to have her home node obliterated in the first few hours of being a runner biggrin.gif I’ll stick a load of def and resistance tests at the bottom…from your latest post it seems it was indeed scream free – phew! I had intended to hack myself an admin account on some unsuspecting ‘link but will avoid that for a bit.

IP2:
She can either move to her commlink or to another node (if any turned up on the edge test).
Need a defence test to avoid getting hit by the scream as she leaves. And a resist damage test just in case it's not enough.
Yep, coming up!

IP3: Assuming she makes it to a clean node, she can then either jump to another one or attempt to shut down or kill the wireless signal on the one she is in. The latter options require a System + Response (10, 1 combat turn) extended test. No power/wireless means no scream but she would be stuck in the current node until someone turned it back on or she reactivated the wireless signal.
Hell no! She can still run into the matrix from here, the scream can’t be everywhere! Assuming she doesn’t succumb to more scream damage then she will use the next combat round to deactivate her homenode – probably by sending a command to the drone to remove its power core. She’s probably going to have to abandon the drone but she’s certainly reluctant to do so – it’s her body after all!

5x Resistance: Response + Firewall = 16D (- whatever response reduction she’s running at the time…?)
16d6.hits(5) → [3,3,2,5,6,1,4,4,6,4,6,5,3,2,5,5] = (7)

16d6.hits(5) → [4,6,1,4,1,1,3,1,2,1,5,5,2,4,4,1] = (3)

16d6.hits(5) → [5,4,5,2,1,6,2,4,6,2,2,2,2,6,3,5] = (6)

16d6.hits(5) → [5,1,4,3,1,1,3,6,6,2,5,1,6,1,5,3] = (6)

16d6.hits(5) → [5,2,1,2,1,4,1,1,1,6,5,1,5,2,3,1] = (4)

5x Defence: System + Armour = 14D
14d6.hits(5) → [1,1,3,1,5,5,1,2,1,1,1,4,1,1] = (2)

14d6.hits(5) → [5,4,3,5,5,4,4,6,3,1,5,5,3,4] = (6)

14d6.hits(5) → [3,1,6,1,6,6,6,1,6,1,5,1,1,3] = (6)

14d6.hits(5) → [1,3,3,1,6,4,5,2,4,5,1,2,4,2] = (3)

14d6.hits(5) → [6,1,6,5,1,3,4,4,3,1,5,1,4,3] = (4)

So, assuming she’s still alive…

IP1: Load command
IP2: Instruct drone to pop its service hatch
IP3: Get it to rip out the power cell…I considered shooting myself through the brain pan for added morbidity (and making the GM feel guilty?!? smile.gif) but will save that as a failsafe option.

Need more IPs! Thought this matrix stuff was meant to be the speed of thought lol

Let me know and I’ll write this up IC.
Notsoevildm
@Virtual Scream: Aria/Gossamer
As I am such a nice guy, Gossamer might want to use that point of edge to reroll the misses on the second defence/resistance roll. Another two hits and she's home free and can proceed with her plan of action. The good news is that if she succeeds the >1rtu@l5cr3@m will not pursue her into the commlink.

I am particularly looking forward to how Argent (and her kids) will react when they find her body lying in the hall with her power core ripped out and still 'beating' in her outstretched hand.
Aria
@NSEDM:
I’ve made a guess at -4 response on her home node so on roll 2 she would have rolled 12D for 3 hits so on 9D edge re-roll (you can work out the maths if the response decrease was more?!?) she gets: 4 hits, phew! Would still be 3 even if the response decrease is more…

And is home free…yeah right! And she’ll warn Argent (assuming she is getting messages), would be a bit of a nasty shock otherwise!

So from the confines of her link she needs to find a better node that is also clean of the virus. She might look for a low grade nexus that won’t notice the increased system load when she moves in. A mall or internet café equivalent is probably about right. She will send redirect notices to Aria too to let her know how to reach her. After that I guess it’s back to Shadowland for some answers, even though they were hit too! Or perhaps because they were hit too…!

@ RdMarquis:
Hopefully you or one of the others have some way of bypassing a maglock? If not you’d better get Monsieur Collot to work his techno magic on the thing and hope for the best!
Notsoevildm
@Virtual Scream / Aria
The response hit was only minus 1 + minus 2 for the damage to her icon, but the original 3 hits on the second defence roll was a couple short and the damage would have crashed her icon. Note that she still has 6 boxes of damage to her icon.

Hacking an admin account takes time, unless done on the fly which is risky but quick. The slow version is an extended test with a 1 hour interval in VR. As you are out of combat, you can buy 1 hit per 4 dice to see how long it's going to take. A rating 1 node (system and firewall both 1) needs 8 hits on a Hacking + Exploit extended test, a rating 2 node: 10, rating 3: 12, etc.
Notsoevildm
First aid rolls on the kids (jon, then katie):
Logic 3 + First aid 1 + medkit 6 = 10d6.hits(5)=2, 10d6.hits(5)=3 - threshold is 2 for first aid, so no net hits on Jon and just 1 on Katie. Mainly, hitting Jon with a broad spectrum anti-biotic/anti-viral and cleaning and bandaging up his cut so it doesn't get infected and hitting Katie with something to calm her down (+1 die to a composure test?). Poor conditions and the fact that the kids are technomancers could reduce the number of dice / hits too.

If Jon is hurt, she will also try and magically heal him if you allow that in addition to the first aid roll.

Casting F2 heal spell:
Magic 2* + Spellcasting 3 = 5d6.hits(5)=1 - a box is a box. *Assuming her Magic attribute is currently still 3 and BG count is still 1
Drain is (dmg value - 2) = ? (this one always confused me. It's not force, so is it how many boxes of damage the victim currently has / the mage heals?)
Resist drain:
Cha 4 + Will 5 = 9d6.hits(5)=5 - drain not an issue unless Jon has taken more than 7 boxes of damage (assuming worst case scenario).
Aria
QUOTE (Notsoevildm @ Dec 12 2012, 07:39 PM) *
First aid rolls on the kids (jon, then katie):
Logic 3 + First aid 1 + medkit 6 = 10d6.hits(5)=2, 10d6.hits(5)=3 - threshold is 2 for first aid, so no net hits on Jon and just 1 on Katie. Mainly, hitting Jon with a broad spectrum anti-biotic/anti-viral and cleaning and bandaging up his cut so it doesn't get infected and hitting Katie with something to calm her down (+1 die to a composure test?). Poor conditions and the fact that the kids are technomancers could reduce the number of dice / hits too.

If Jon is hurt, she will also try and magically heal him if you allow that in addition to the first aid roll.

Casting F2 heal spell:
Magic 2* + Spellcasting 3 = 5d6.hits(5)=1 - a box is a box. *Assuming her Magic attribute is currently still 3 and BG count is still 1
Drain is (dmg value - 2) = ? (this one always confused me. It's not force, so is it how many boxes of damage the victim currently has / the mage heals?)
Resist drain:
Cha 4 + Will 5 = 9d6.hits(5)=5 - drain not an issue unless Jon has taken more than 7 boxes of damage (assuming worst case scenario).

You can first aid then magically heal. Jon's wound isn't that bad, mostly it's infection you need to worry about with a bit of shock. So he's on 2 boxes of damage now, let's hope lockjaw doesn't set in! I've always assumed the dmg-2 is the damage they start on that you try to heal...

QUOTE (Notsoevildm @ Dec 12 2012, 07:11 PM) *
@Virtual Scream / Aria
The response hit was only minus 1 + minus 2 for the damage to her icon, but the original 3 hits on the second defence roll was a couple short and the damage would have crashed her icon. Note that she still has 6 boxes of damage to her icon.

Hacking an admin account takes time, unless done on the fly which is risky but quick. The slow version is an extended test with a 1 hour interval in VR. As you are out of combat, you can buy 1 hit per 4 dice to see how long it's going to take. A rating 1 node (system and firewall both 1) needs 8 hits on a Hacking + Exploit extended test, a rating 2 node: 10, rating 3: 12, etc.

Ok, so she certainly escaped. I was prepared to hack on the fly if her link was infected but as she seems to have temporarily escaped she'll take the time to find a good node and slow hack it. Maybe install a back door...will ponder and make some rolls / buy hits, she has lots of exploit D...not sure if rootkit (-6 to matrix perception tests) would help against the firewall detecting the hack, probably not, but they'd have a hard time finding her once she's in there!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012