Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Getting someone IN the game, It's ROLEplay, not ROLLplay
Socinus
post Aug 3 2011, 09:38 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,881

I'm trying to put together a new group for gaming and we have one guy who keeps coming around and wants to be part of it.

The problem is this guy has NO idea what roleplaying actually means. He just couldn't understand why you'd take flaws other than as a BP boost, he didnt play his character even when (as GM) I basically handed him situations tailor-made for character development he just strolled through them and said "Ok, what now?"

He got his start with Warhammer so I cant fault him too heavily, but he doesnt seem to get that the game is more than just stats and numbers and we cant seem to make him understand that.

If he does end up in the game, do you guys have any ideas how to get him to actually play a character rather than just roll around as a giant stat-bloc?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
onlyghostdancesw...
post Aug 4 2011, 01:00 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,844

Sounds like the guy needs to learn the effects of social engineering. Put him at severe disadvantages and make him work out in game how his character/ stat block can make it out. That and giving him credit for thinking (aka in things where there arent necessarily rolls to be made) which translates into game success.

I find when I have new players that the biggest hitch is getting past the "you can do anything, what would you like to do?" question where you get the blank look and the oh shit let me see my stat sheet response.

I only once had trouble with a guy like this who couldnt come to terms with his character/ roleplaying. In order to solve the issue I killed off his character with a sniper blah blah blah etc and then gave him a character with amnesia and a few other nasty qualities. The way I played it was I wrote his character sheet out and gave him a few details printed out that he knew about himself. He learned to roleplay in order to figure out what he could do/ who he was and loved the game after that. When you take away the stat sheet and make them play it out then most often they actually learn how to make good rp characters themselves.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:05 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.