IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Armor Modification and Armor Clothing, Does it apply to individual items or as a whole?
Major Doom
post Sep 21 2011, 11:45 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,111

I was wondering if the Armor modification (Attitude, page 160), for example Carbon-boron, which adds +1/+2 to armor clothing, does it apply to the whole set of armor clothing, for example Mortimer of London's Berwick Line (Arsenal, page 45), or individual components (ie: shirt, trouser, etc.)?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Sep 21 2011, 11:49 PM
Post #2

Deus Absconditus

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,566

I would suggest only applying it to the whole package, to save yourself headaches when combining with Gel-Paks and PPP.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Sep 21 2011, 11:51 PM
Post #3

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Always choose the weaker/costlier/less desirable response. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) So, no, you can't get +5/+10.

+Quote Post
ikarinokami
post Sep 22 2011, 12:59 AM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 18,910

individual. i believe it was answered by writer of that section in attitude already

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Sep 22 2011, 01:13 AM
Post #5

Advocatus Diaboli

It depends on whether you want a functional game. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Seerow
post Sep 22 2011, 01:17 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 26,658

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 22 2011, 02:13 AM) *
It depends on whether you want a functional game. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

The same argument applies to cyberlimb armor, but most people still use it as stacking fully (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Stalag
post Sep 22 2011, 01:21 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 37,159

I'd probably say you can apply it to individual pieces but you only get a portion of the added protection

+Quote Post
fazzamar
post Sep 22 2011, 01:22 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,719

QUOTE (Seerow @ Sep 21 2011, 08:17 PM) *
The same argument applies to cyberlimb armor, but most people still use it as stacking fully (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Despite the fact that tables might not explicitly house-rule cyberlimb armor stacking, I can bet that if someone tries to bring a 20/20 armor when nude character to the table, almost any GM would kill the idea quick like.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Sep 22 2011, 04:20 AM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

QUOTE (ikarinokami @ Sep 21 2011, 06:59 PM) *
individual. i believe it was answered by writer of that section in attitude already

I need this book.

+Quote Post
Seerow
post Sep 22 2011, 04:21 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 26,658

QUOTE (fazzamar @ Sep 22 2011, 02:22 AM) *
Despite the fact that tables might not explicitly house-rule cyberlimb armor stacking, I can bet that if someone tries to bring a 20/20 armor when nude character to the table, almost any GM would kill the idea quick like.

I think that you already know for a fact we have one prime example of a GM who does not, even when you expect him to because it is in fact seriously cheesy.

+Quote Post
Manunancy
post Sep 22 2011, 04:43 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,940

QUOTE (ikarinokami @ Sep 22 2011, 02:59 AM) *

which is in my my opinion a stupid idea - adding the same material to a thong or a great coat giving the same amount of protection ? that's seriously screwed up.

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Sep 22 2011, 05:21 AM
Post #12

Deus Absconditus

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,566

Perhaps the most important question: can this modification be applied to Orthoskin or Dermal Sheathing before it's implanted? I assume not, but that would make it kinda cool.

Of course, I'm an asshole who bans FFBA cuz it's too game-busting...

+Quote Post
ikarinokami
post Sep 22 2011, 12:08 PM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 18,910

QUOTE (Manunancy @ Sep 21 2011, 11:43 PM) *
which is in my my opinion a stupid idea - adding the same material to a thong or a great coat giving the same amount of protection ? that's seriously screwed up.

??? thong? the individual pieces refers to section in arsenal about clothing sets, like zoe, which are specifically designed to work that way.

+Quote Post
Elfenlied
post Sep 22 2011, 12:23 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,018

QUOTE (Seerow @ Sep 22 2011, 01:17 AM) *

Isn't that RAW?

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Sep 22 2011, 12:48 PM
Post #15

Advocatus Diaboli

Many things are RAW. :/

+Quote Post
Major Doom
post Sep 22 2011, 12:49 PM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 19,111

QUOTE (ikarinokami @ Sep 21 2011, 07:59 PM) *

Could you kindly quote the answer from the writer?

+Quote Post
Elfenlied
post Sep 22 2011, 01:25 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,018

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 22 2011, 12:48 PM) *
Many things are RAW. :/

Fair enough. Since we can only guess RAI, I'll go with whatever is most fun for all the players involved.

+Quote Post
HunterHerne
post Sep 22 2011, 06:37 PM
Post #18

Running Target

Member No.: 19,166

QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Sep 22 2011, 10:25 AM) *
Fair enough. Since we can only guess RAI, I'll go with whatever is most fun for all the players involved.

Seems to be the best option, anyway.

I would only allow the Armour clothing mod to only be applied once to each outfit.

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Sep 22 2011, 08:12 PM
Post #19

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

QUOTE (ikarinokami @ Sep 21 2011, 06:59 PM) *

It was indeed. here you go

Though I think the answer a post or two down about modification ratings might be wrong because it doesn't make sense

So yes. Attitude fashion + Arsenal Fashion = <3.

My current project is to design a Battle Tux - much like the hitman, or other well-dressed hollywood characters wear during action scenes - by making taking an Actioneer or a Synergist business line or something and making it as tough as possible. To be honest, I could probably use a bit of help with it.

+Quote Post
Saint Hallow
post Sep 22 2011, 08:15 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,233

QUOTE (Major Doom @ Sep 21 2011, 07:45 PM) *
I was wondering if the Armor modification (Attitude, page 160), for example Carbon-boron, which adds +1/+2 to armor clothing, does it apply to the whole set of armor clothing, for example Mortimer of London's Berwick Line (Arsenal, page 45), or individual components (ie: shirt, trouser, etc.)?

I would be more concerned about the fashion police coming after you for ruining a perfectly good suit/outfit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/twirl.gif)

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Sep 22 2011, 08:18 PM
Post #21

Advocatus Diaboli

Udoshi, that bit you reference doesn't actually say anything about whether designer clothing can have the mods *per sub-part*.

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Sep 22 2011, 08:32 PM
Post #22

Runner

Lets see, Yerameyahu. Modifications for armor really, really depend on the rules you're using.

Given that many pieces of individual clothing come with individual mods(chemical protection, mainly) I think its fair to say that the door for individual pieces being indivudually modded is already open.

However, the armor modding rules are kinda shitty.

Under Basic, Core rules. there is no limit besides cost. at all.(and availability)
Under Arsenal optional rules, you have two options
By Capacity, which adds capacity to most full body armor, and a list of sizes for various things, and is basically useless for any other type of armor
By rating, which gives all armors with ratings the ability to take a certain # of rating enhancements based on their highest armor, with unrated modifications taking a flat value.
And the Missions Standard, which uses both optional arsenal rules at once. (This is probably the best rule to use, as it tosses out the brokeness of the core rules, while making any armor modifiable while putting a balanced ceiling on it, and also making sure that dedicated combat armors have more room for goodies than piecemeal armor)

If your GM isn't using any of the arsenal rules, then, by all means, go nuts modding everything onto everything.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Sep 22 2011, 09:02 PM
Post #23

Advocatus Diaboli

Yeah, it is a total mess. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Mäx
post Sep 22 2011, 09:19 PM
Post #24

Prime Runner

Member No.: 15,628

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 22 2011, 11:18 PM) *
Udoshi, that bit you reference doesn't actually say anything about whether designer clothing can have the mods *per sub-part*.

THIS, so much this.
In general allowing modding of outfits parts invidually doesn't make sense, as it would mean that a 5 piece out fit with 10/6 armor rating(for example) can take 30 rating points worth of mods where as a single pice armor with same armor values can only take 10 points worth of mods.

So if you go the sensible route of treating the outfit the same as non outfit armor for modding it makes perfect sense that you can add the Attitude mods to them and doesn't cause any problems.

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Sep 22 2011, 11:29 PM
Post #25

Runner

QUOTE (Mäx @ Sep 22 2011, 03:19 PM) *
THIS, so much this.
In general allowing modding of outfits parts invidually doesn't make sense, as it would mean that a 5 piece out fit with 10/6 armor rating(for example) can take 30 rating points worth of mods where as a single pice armor with same armor values can only take 10 points worth of mods.

So if you go the sensible route of treating the outfit the same as non outfit armor for modding it makes perfect sense that you can add the Attitude mods to them and doesn't cause any problems.

But I don't need to prove it with a hardy-clarification.

Arsenal has this possibility already. (page 45 and beyond)
Mortimer of london greatcoats? R2 Chem protection and R2 Insulation
Ulysses Line? R4 chemical protection
Aces high Jackets? R1 chemical protection and insulation.
Industrious line? R2 Fire Resistance and Chemical Protection - with an additional winterwear line that has Insulation 2 as well.

So there you have it. Individual sub-sets of clothing not only can be individually modified, they already come like that.
(also arsenal 44, each piece of armor or clothing can only accept a # of modification ratings)

The degree to which they may be further modified depends greatly on rules your game is using for armor mods.

QUOTE (Mäx @ Sep 22 2011, 03:19 PM) *
THIS, so much this.

Except, under the core book rules, there are literally no restrictions on modding armor. Points of mods do not matter at all.
So that single suit of armor can actaully have all the same relevant mods as an outfit.

Also your math is off. Badly. Very badly.

A 10/6 suit of armor can have 15 points of ratings modded.
A 5 piece outfit at 10/6 does not get 30 points. It follows the same rules for rating points, the only difference being that the capacity of each piece is calculated individually. It also uses the same formula - a combined outfit at 10/6 also has 15 rating points of mods to play around with.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:13 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.