Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Armor Modification and Armor Clothing
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Major Doom
I was wondering if the Armor modification (Attitude, page 160), for example Carbon-boron, which adds +1/+2 to armor clothing, does it apply to the whole set of armor clothing, for example Mortimer of London's Berwick Line (Arsenal, page 45), or individual components (ie: shirt, trouser, etc.)?
Adarael
I would suggest only applying it to the whole package, to save yourself headaches when combining with Gel-Paks and PPP.
Yerameyahu
Always choose the weaker/costlier/less desirable response. smile.gif So, no, you can't get +5/+10.
ikarinokami
individual. i believe it was answered by writer of that section in attitude already
Yerameyahu
It depends on whether you want a functional game. nyahnyah.gif
Seerow
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 22 2011, 02:13 AM) *
It depends on whether you want a functional game. nyahnyah.gif

The same argument applies to cyberlimb armor, but most people still use it as stacking fully nyahnyah.gif
Stalag
I'd probably say you can apply it to individual pieces but you only get a portion of the added protection
fazzamar
QUOTE (Seerow @ Sep 21 2011, 08:17 PM) *
The same argument applies to cyberlimb armor, but most people still use it as stacking fully nyahnyah.gif

Despite the fact that tables might not explicitly house-rule cyberlimb armor stacking, I can bet that if someone tries to bring a 20/20 armor when nude character to the table, almost any GM would kill the idea quick like.
Neraph
QUOTE (ikarinokami @ Sep 21 2011, 06:59 PM) *
individual. i believe it was answered by writer of that section in attitude already

I need this book.
Seerow
QUOTE (fazzamar @ Sep 22 2011, 02:22 AM) *
Despite the fact that tables might not explicitly house-rule cyberlimb armor stacking, I can bet that if someone tries to bring a 20/20 armor when nude character to the table, almost any GM would kill the idea quick like.

I think that you already know for a fact we have one prime example of a GM who does not, even when you expect him to because it is in fact seriously cheesy.
Manunancy
QUOTE (ikarinokami @ Sep 22 2011, 02:59 AM) *

which is in my my opinion a stupid idea - adding the same material to a thong or a great coat giving the same amount of protection ? that's seriously screwed up.
Adarael
Perhaps the most important question: can this modification be applied to Orthoskin or Dermal Sheathing before it's implanted? I assume not, but that would make it kinda cool.

Of course, I'm an asshole who bans FFBA cuz it's too game-busting...
ikarinokami
QUOTE (Manunancy @ Sep 21 2011, 11:43 PM) *
which is in my my opinion a stupid idea - adding the same material to a thong or a great coat giving the same amount of protection ? that's seriously screwed up.

??? thong? the individual pieces refers to section in arsenal about clothing sets, like zoe, which are specifically designed to work that way.
Elfenlied
QUOTE (Seerow @ Sep 22 2011, 01:17 AM) *

Isn't that RAW?
Yerameyahu
Many things are RAW. :/
Major Doom
QUOTE (ikarinokami @ Sep 21 2011, 07:59 PM) *

Could you kindly quote the answer from the writer?
Elfenlied
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 22 2011, 12:48 PM) *
Many things are RAW. :/

Fair enough. Since we can only guess RAI, I'll go with whatever is most fun for all the players involved.
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Sep 22 2011, 10:25 AM) *
Fair enough. Since we can only guess RAI, I'll go with whatever is most fun for all the players involved.

Seems to be the best option, anyway.

I would only allow the Armour clothing mod to only be applied once to each outfit.
Udoshi
QUOTE (ikarinokami @ Sep 21 2011, 06:59 PM) *

It was indeed. here you go

Though I think the answer a post or two down about modification ratings might be wrong because it doesn't make sense

So yes. Attitude fashion + Arsenal Fashion = <3.

My current project is to design a Battle Tux - much like the hitman, or other well-dressed hollywood characters wear during action scenes - by making taking an Actioneer or a Synergist business line or something and making it as tough as possible. To be honest, I could probably use a bit of help with it.
Saint Hallow
QUOTE (Major Doom @ Sep 21 2011, 07:45 PM) *
I was wondering if the Armor modification (Attitude, page 160), for example Carbon-boron, which adds +1/+2 to armor clothing, does it apply to the whole set of armor clothing, for example Mortimer of London's Berwick Line (Arsenal, page 45), or individual components (ie: shirt, trouser, etc.)?

I would be more concerned about the fashion police coming after you for ruining a perfectly good suit/outfit. twirl.gif
Yerameyahu
Udoshi, that bit you reference doesn't actually say anything about whether designer clothing can have the mods *per sub-part*.
Udoshi
Lets see, Yerameyahu. Modifications for armor really, really depend on the rules you're using.

Given that many pieces of individual clothing come with individual mods(chemical protection, mainly) I think its fair to say that the door for individual pieces being indivudually modded is already open.

However, the armor modding rules are kinda shitty.

Under Basic, Core rules. there is no limit besides cost. at all.(and availability)
Under Arsenal optional rules, you have two options
By Capacity, which adds capacity to most full body armor, and a list of sizes for various things, and is basically useless for any other type of armor
By rating, which gives all armors with ratings the ability to take a certain # of rating enhancements based on their highest armor, with unrated modifications taking a flat value.
And the Missions Standard, which uses both optional arsenal rules at once. (This is probably the best rule to use, as it tosses out the brokeness of the core rules, while making any armor modifiable while putting a balanced ceiling on it, and also making sure that dedicated combat armors have more room for goodies than piecemeal armor)

If your GM isn't using any of the arsenal rules, then, by all means, go nuts modding everything onto everything.
Yerameyahu
Yeah, it is a total mess. smile.gif
Mäx
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 22 2011, 11:18 PM) *
Udoshi, that bit you reference doesn't actually say anything about whether designer clothing can have the mods *per sub-part*.

THIS, so much this.
In general allowing modding of outfits parts invidually doesn't make sense, as it would mean that a 5 piece out fit with 10/6 armor rating(for example) can take 30 rating points worth of mods where as a single pice armor with same armor values can only take 10 points worth of mods.

So if you go the sensible route of treating the outfit the same as non outfit armor for modding it makes perfect sense that you can add the Attitude mods to them and doesn't cause any problems.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Mäx @ Sep 22 2011, 03:19 PM) *
THIS, so much this.
In general allowing modding of outfits parts invidually doesn't make sense, as it would mean that a 5 piece out fit with 10/6 armor rating(for example) can take 30 rating points worth of mods where as a single pice armor with same armor values can only take 10 points worth of mods.

So if you go the sensible route of treating the outfit the same as non outfit armor for modding it makes perfect sense that you can add the Attitude mods to them and doesn't cause any problems.

But I don't need to prove it with a hardy-clarification.

Arsenal has this possibility already. (page 45 and beyond)
Mortimer of london greatcoats? R2 Chem protection and R2 Insulation
Ulysses Line? R4 chemical protection
Aces high Jackets? R1 chemical protection and insulation.
Industrious line? R2 Fire Resistance and Chemical Protection - with an additional winterwear line that has Insulation 2 as well.

So there you have it. Individual sub-sets of clothing not only can be individually modified, they already come like that.
(also arsenal 44, each piece of armor or clothing can only accept a # of modification ratings)

The degree to which they may be further modified depends greatly on rules your game is using for armor mods.

QUOTE (Mäx @ Sep 22 2011, 03:19 PM) *
THIS, so much this.

Except, under the core book rules, there are literally no restrictions on modding armor. Points of mods do not matter at all.
So that single suit of armor can actaully have all the same relevant mods as an outfit.

Also your math is off. Badly. Very badly.

A 10/6 suit of armor can have 15 points of ratings modded.
A 5 piece outfit at 10/6 does not get 30 points. It follows the same rules for rating points, the only difference being that the capacity of each piece is calculated individually. It also uses the same formula - a combined outfit at 10/6 also has 15 rating points of mods to play around with.
Udoshi
double post
Yerameyahu
It's not about what the swiss-cheese rules happen to allow, Udoshi. I'm not talking about RAW-optimization.
Stalag
Maybe instead of trying to game the rules to munchkin yourself a suit of impervium why not consider how it was probably intended, what's fair, and above all else, what actually makes sense.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Stalag @ Sep 22 2011, 08:04 PM) *
Maybe instead of trying to game the rules to munchkin yourself a suit of impervium why not consider how it was probably intended, what's fair, and above all else, what actually makes sense.

That's Silly Talk... wobble.gif
Elfenlied
QUOTE (Stalag @ Sep 23 2011, 03:04 AM) *

And what is fun for all people involved in your respective gaming groups.
Mäx
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Sep 23 2011, 02:29 AM) *
Also your math is off. Badly. Very badly.

A 10/6 suit of armor can have 15 points of ratings modded.
A 5 piece outfit at 10/6 does not get 30 points. It follows the same rules for rating points, the only difference being that the capacity of each piece is calculated individually. It also uses the same formula - a combined outfit at 10/6 also has 15 rating points of mods to play around with.

Okey i admid i miss read/remembered is as highest armor rating, not highest armor rating times 1,5., but the rest of that is completely wrong.
For one those pieces don't have anykind of capacity, only armor suits(like full body armor) have capacity.
And second the rating limit is 6 or highest armor times 1,5, so if you allow by sub component modding then all five pieces of outfit can take the minimum 6 rating points of mod, for a total of 30 rating points.
Yerameyahu
It's not 'Capacity', Mäx, it's 'amount of mods ratings they can have'. It's a distinct thing, because the writers thought we needed (literally) 12 kinds of capacity in the game.
Mäx
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 23 2011, 04:29 PM) *
It's not 'Capacity', Mäx, it's 'amount of mods ratings they can have'. It's a distinct thing, because the writers thought we needed (literally) 12 kinds of capacity in the game.

I know that, maybe you should read that post again wink.gif
Yerameyahu
No. I see you felt the need to 'correct' his use of the word capacity (!='Capacity'), and then mention that horrifying abuse of the 6/or rule—the one he was specifically arguing against. Instead, maybe assume that he wasn't being stupid, and instead using a normal English synonym.
Neraph
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Sep 22 2011, 05:29 PM) *
But I don't need to prove it with a hardy-clarification.

Arsenal has this possibility already. (page 45 and beyond)
Mortimer of london greatcoats? R2 Chem protection and R2 Insulation
Ulysses Line? R4 chemical protection
Aces high Jackets? R1 chemical protection and insulation.
Industrious line? R2 Fire Resistance and Chemical Protection - with an additional winterwear line that has Insulation 2 as well.

So there you have it. Individual sub-sets of clothing not only can be individually modified, they already come like that.
(also arsenal 44, each piece of armor or clothing can only accept a # of modification ratings)

Yes and no. What you listed are all line clothing, yes, but those are all stand-alone armors. None of them are designed to be worn together like the Berwick Line. Remember, you have to see the ( c ) next to the line name to know if you can wear multiple parts of that line together. You have not proven that individual sub-sets can be individually modified, only that specific armors from named lines can be. To fulfill the requirement you want to you'd have to give an example of the Berwick, Steampunk, Synergist, or Executive line giving certain protections on certain pieces, which does not appear to be the case.
KarmaInferno
Honestly, I understand what the writers were trying to do with the piecemeal armor sets, but it probably would have been better rules-wise to just format them as standard armor outfits following the standard armor rules.

The additional complications from the variant armors isn't worth the hassle. just make them standard armor with fancy fluff and call it a day.

-k
Neraph
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Sep 24 2011, 12:11 AM) *
Honestly, I understand what the writers were trying to do with the piecemeal armor sets, but it probably would have been better rules-wise to just format them as standard armor outfits following the standard armor rules.

The additional complications from the variant armors isn't worth the hassle. just make them standard armor with fancy fluff and call it a day.

I disagree. I think it's quite easy to use them effectively and responsibly - the only thing is that everyone needs to see eye to eye at the table.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012