IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> When did arrows/bolts start going against ballistic armor?
JonathanC
post Oct 10 2011, 07:11 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,083

I was just perusing my SR4A, pondering crossbows and whatnot, when I noticed that the rule I was expecting to see there (about arrows/bolts going against Impact armor) wasn't there. When did this change? I swear in 3rd edition it was Impact, and I thought that carried over to 4th edition as well. I'm pretty sure I've heard that kevlar doesn't protect that well against arrows....was I misinformed?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Oct 10 2011, 01:16 PM
Post #2

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

They wear Kevlar against knives, so I wouldn't worry about realism. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
JonathanC
post Oct 10 2011, 02:22 PM
Post #3

Running Target

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Oct 10 2011, 06:16 AM) *
They wear Kevlar against knives, so I wouldn't worry about realism. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

...but at least knives go against the Impact rating of the kevlar vest, which is lower. When did arrows come to be treated like bullets in Shadowrun? It certainly wasn't always this way.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Oct 10 2011, 02:24 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

Probably with trolls with high enough strength and custom bows so that the arrows reach bullet-velocity speeds ;P

+Quote Post
JonathanC
post Oct 10 2011, 02:32 PM
Post #5

Running Target

QUOTE (Bigity @ Oct 10 2011, 07:24 AM) *
Probably with trolls with high enough strength and custom bows so that the arrows reach bullet-velocity speeds ;P

Troll bows are useless; the core book states that bow strengths max out at 6, so the most you could ever get for base damage is 8P.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Oct 10 2011, 02:53 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

It was a tongue in cheek response anyway.

+Quote Post
Traul
post Oct 10 2011, 02:54 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 17,229

QUOTE (JonathanC @ Oct 10 2011, 03:32 PM) *
Troll bows are useless; the core book states that bow strengths max out at 6, so the most you could ever get for base damage is 8P.

Then screw the bow and throw the arrows (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif)

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Oct 10 2011, 03:01 PM
Post #8

Advocatus Diaboli

Kevlar doesn't have an Impact Rating, because it's real life. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Nevermind.

Anyway, arrows in SR4 are presumably bullet-like (what do they call them, 'field points'?), as opposed to what I assume are 'broad head' knife-y arrows.

+Quote Post
Kirk
post Oct 10 2011, 03:42 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 34,911

QUOTE (JonathanC @ Oct 10 2011, 10:32 AM) *

12, not 6.
Material science limits high-tech bows to a maximum Strength rating of 12. The maximum Damage Value an arrow fired from the bow can inflict is equal to the bow’s rating x1.5. -- SR4A 316

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 10 2011, 03:56 PM
Post #10

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Kirk @ Oct 10 2011, 08:42 AM) *
12, not 6.

8 not 12... See the Errata...
Both My copy of the PDF and Hard Book (as well as the Precious) all have 8 as the maximum Bow Strength Rating.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Oct 10 2011, 04:01 PM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Oct 10 2011, 11:01 AM) *
Anyway, arrows in SR4 are presumably bullet-like (what do they call them, 'field points'?), as opposed to what I assume are 'broad head' knife-y arrows.

Field points are the modern "standard" tip, shaped like a bullet (they're like target points (points used when firing at archery targets) but with a shoulder as to not get lodged in trees and other hard objects).

Broadheads are the knife-like ones, modern arrows have 3 sides to them (compared to the classic stone two-edged ones).

There are also "saftey arrows" which have very wide, often padded, tips that are "safe" to shoot at people (they'll still hurt like a bitch and CAN cause you to bleed, depending on the design of the head; I've been told that they'll still punch right through a rabbit, however).

+Quote Post
JonathanC
post Oct 10 2011, 04:03 PM
Post #12

Running Target

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Oct 10 2011, 07:56 AM) *
Both My copy of the PDF and Hard Book (as well as the Precious) all have 8 as the maximum Bow Strength Rating.

Mine too, but Availability will prevent you from getting anything higher than a 6 at chargen. A STR 8 bow is more of an Ork Bow than a Troll Bow, IMO. A Troll is likely to get a better deal from a throwing knife, especially if he's an Adept.

I'm just curious about when/why the "arrows are ballistic" change occurred. It makes them a lot less attractive as a weapon, IMO.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Oct 10 2011, 04:23 PM
Post #13

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

QUOTE (JonathanC @ Oct 10 2011, 11:03 AM) *
I'm just curious about when/why the "arrows are ballistic" change occurred. It makes them a lot less attractive as a weapon, IMO.

I guess it kinda makes sense, but I'm house ruling it the old way at my table.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 10 2011, 04:27 PM
Post #14

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (JonathanC @ Oct 10 2011, 10:03 AM) *
Mine too, but Availability will prevent you from getting anything higher than a 6 at chargen. A STR 8 bow is more of an Ork Bow than a Troll Bow, IMO. A Troll is likely to get a better deal from a throwing knife, especially if he's an Adept.

I have a Throwing Adept that uses Shuriken/Knives. The issue is that he does not have any range beyond 95 Meters or so.
So, instead of using modern firearms to reach out and touch someone, he uses a Strength 8 Bow. Now he can reach out to 500 meters or so. And all without that annoying Noise that a Firearm entails.

As far as Damage goes. A Strength 8 Bow inflicts 10p Base Damage (Better than any other Man-Portable Firearm out there). Honestly, I am okay with it applying to Ballistic at that point.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Oct 10 2011, 04:34 PM
Post #15

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Oct 10 2011, 11:27 AM) *
So, instead of using modern firearms to reach out and touch someone, he uses a Strength 8 Bow. Now he can reach out to 500 meters or so. And all without that annoying Noise that a Firearm entails.

Gun + Electronic Firing + Built-In Silencer + Subsonic Ammo = -9 to Perception Tests to notice the gun being used.

+Quote Post
Kirk
post Oct 10 2011, 04:39 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Oct 10 2011, 10:56 AM) *

Thank you.

You'd think I'd remember to check that, but noooooo. (blush) Someday I'll actually pen the changes into place.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 10 2011, 05:11 PM
Post #17

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Neraph @ Oct 10 2011, 09:34 AM) *
Gun + Electronic Firing + Built-In Silencer + Subsonic Ammo = -9 to Perception Tests to notice the gun being used.

Sure, and My Guy with 20+ Dice to Perception (Sound) will still hear it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Point being that even though it will be quieter, it is STILL NOT SILENT. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Oct 10 2011, 05:17 PM
Post #18

Advocatus Diaboli

He didn't mention the various threshold mods that would also be in place, but that's not really the point. A bow that powerful is making noise, too.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 10 2011, 05:22 PM
Post #19

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Oct 10 2011, 10:17 AM) *
He didn't mention the various threshold mods that would also be in place, but that's not really the point. A bow that powerful is making noise, too.

Possibly, but Far Less noise than a Silenced Gun would.
Having Bow Hunted, Gone to the Ranges (Bow and Gun) and Hunted with Firearms, I can guarantee you that a Bow is downright Silent compared to a Gun, even a silenced one (Have used those too, both Crappy and Good) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Oct 10 2011, 05:23 PM
Post #20

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Oct 10 2011, 12:11 PM) *
Sure, and My Guy with 20+ Dice to Perception (Sound) will still hear it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Point being that even though it will be quieter, it is STILL NOT SILENT. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
He'd also hear the fly fart on the wall across the room and the sound of the Lesbian Elf Stripper Ninja's last bit of morals slipping away. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 10 2011, 05:24 PM
Post #21

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (CanRay @ Oct 10 2011, 10:23 AM) *
He'd also hear the fly fart on the wall across the room and the sound of the Lesbian Elf Stripper Ninja's last bit of morals slipping away. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Yes Indeed, especially the Lesbian Elf Stripper Ninja's Morals... I like that one... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Oct 10 2011, 05:28 PM
Post #22

Advocatus Diaboli

Don't try your realism arguments. Even if they mattered, I doubt you've used a troll bow. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Oct 10 2011, 05:33 PM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Oct 10 2011, 12:28 PM) *
Don't try your realism arguments. Even if they mattered, I doubt you've used a troll bow. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)
Can a Troll Bow hit a Lesbian Elf Stripper Ninja's morals? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

*Shrugs* Nothing is completely silent. Even using a blade is going to make some noise. Just the least amount of noise used is better. Also, you can use distraction to prevent people from hearing things. Silence Spells, White Noise Generators, A Low-Rider with the music cranked up really high driving down the street...

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 10 2011, 06:09 PM
Post #24

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Oct 10 2011, 11:28 AM) *

Heh... I usually top out at a 70 Pound Bow. Not the Biggest I have seen to be sure, and I have seeen some crazy Draw Weight Bows in my time. And while they do make noise, it is negligible compared to a firearm. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

But your point is taken (somewhat). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

EDIT: Not sure you can even Buy a bow with Draw Weights above 70 lb. anymore. At least I cannot find any.

+Quote Post
Kirk
post Oct 10 2011, 06:47 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Oct 10 2011, 02:09 PM) *
Heh... I usually top out at a 70 Pound Bow. Not the Biggest I have seen to be sure, and I have seeen some crazy Draw Weight Bows in my time. And while they do make noise, it is negligible compared to a firearm. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

But your point is taken (somewhat). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

EDIT: Not sure you can even Buy a bow with Draw Weights above 70 lb. anymore. At least I cannot find any.

You usually have to get heavier draws specialty or even custom made as they don't sell enough to justify mass production. If you're interested beyond casual knowledge let me know and I'll give you a couple of links. (I don't use them, it's just another set of odd knowledge I've got tucked around.)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:08 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.