> OOC: The Sun Never Sets, OOC Thread for The Sun Never Sets
Tecumseh
post Oct 31 2011, 03:51 AM
Post #1

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 37,075

Hoi, chummers,

This is the OOC thread for The Sun Never Sets. Here is our lineup, with the character's name, brief description, and real-life geographic location:

pbangarth - Stogie (human shepherd adept) + Jake (border collie) - Toronto
Faranji - Jeff (dwarven rigger) - Germany
phlapjack77 - Smohalla (eagle-shifter mage) - China
Aerospider - Will of the Forest (free spirit) - UK
AtroposReborn - Elessar Arnatuilë (elven survivalist) - East Coast, U.S.
Tecumseh - Tec (GM) - Seattle

This will be an open-ended game. If you want to geek the Johnson and form a gang of eco-warriors to free the land from its oppressors, we can do that. If you want to pool your resources and open a rollerskating rink as a front for your organ-legging business in the basement, that can be arranged. It's not even strictly necessary for all the characters to stick together, but it's probably easier if they do. The only thing we won't do is player versus player combat. You can fight and argue with each other but the only person you get to attack is me.

First things first: please post your character sheet below, including your background and equipment. We'll get started shortly.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Faranji
post Oct 31 2011, 12:51 PM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 33,726

This will be meta knowledge (is that the correct English word? It's Meta-Wissen in German which equals knowledge but it sounds wrong). But are you sure it's a good idea to upload them publicly? I.e. open for the rest of the players? Perhaps this will mess up some surprises.

(Spoiler) The Charsheet including Equipment. Created with Chummer Generator:
[ Spoiler ]

(Spoiler) The full background is to be found here:
[ Spoiler ]

Then there is an IC-relevant description here:
[ Spoiler ]

I will add a floor plan for the bunker + security measures and positions some time later - when I've created it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Tecumseh
post Oct 31 2011, 03:35 PM
Post #3

Runner

Yes, it's a fine line: it's difficult to determine what another PC might have heard about your character via rumor or reputation. I need them all here for my own reference, since right now the character sheets and backgrounds are scattered over multiple messages and revisions, bouncing back and forth between my e-mail and my PM inbox.

I like what you've done with the Spoiler tags. If anyone else wants to follow the same model, I'm happy with that. Additionally, if you want to include a segment on what you think others might have heard about your character, that could act as a basis for in-game knowledge.

+Quote Post
phlapjack77
post Nov 1 2011, 02:46 AM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 18,611

moving house and going on a business trip this week - I'll try my darndest to get this up before week's end.

And Faranji, thanks! *Yoink* (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
phlapjack77
post Nov 2 2011, 05:46 AM
Post #5

Runner

Smohalla

The Charsheet including Equipment. Created with Chummer Generator:
[ Spoiler ]

The full background is found here:
[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
AtroposReborn
post Nov 2 2011, 08:16 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 38,630

Ok so it would be wonderful if I could figure out how to do the whole spoiler tag. Showing my chat ignorance again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sleepy.gif)

+Quote Post
AtroposReborn
post Nov 2 2011, 09:48 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 38,630

Disregard my previous statement. I figured out how to post this due to trial and error. As requested...

(Spoiler) The Charsheet including Equipment. Created with Chummer Generator:
[ Spoiler ]

(Spoiler) The full background is found here:
[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
phlapjack77
post Nov 2 2011, 10:47 AM
Post #8

Runner

Cool! Kind of an elven Rambo (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

One thing - why does he have Flight as a skill?

+Quote Post
Faranji
post Nov 2 2011, 12:23 PM
Post #9

Target

Hey Tecumseh,

you mentioned you were having problems with the intial setting. Do you have any ideas yet where that should take place so I could try invent a reason for Jeff to be there? He spends most of his time in his bunker but he does leave it every once in a while so in my case it shouldn't be too hard to involve him.

+Quote Post
Tecumseh
post Nov 2 2011, 07:24 PM
Post #10

Runner

QUOTE (phlapjack77 @ Nov 2 2011, 02:47 AM) *
One thing - why does he have Flight as a skill?

He has the Athletics skill group, which includes Flight. Chummer included Flight automatically in its text export, even if it's not relevant. Or maybe he's really a Drake!!!

QUOTE (Faranji @ Nov 2 2011, 04:23 AM) *
you mentioned you were having problems with the intial setting. Do you have any ideas yet where that should take place so I could try invent a reason for Jeff to be there? He spends most of his time in his bunker but he does leave it every once in a while so in my case it shouldn't be too hard to involve him.

Yes, still scratching my head at the initial setting. I might just punt and have the opening scene be the meet, sweeping under the rug the issue of how everyone heard about it and got there. I dislike the idea of forcing you there and not giving you the opportunity to scope the place out first or do any legwork prior to arriving, but I promise not to geek you in the first scene. If anyone else has an inspired suggestion, I'll award karma for it! I hope to kick off the IC thread soon, possibly tomorrow.

+Quote Post
Faranji
post Nov 4 2011, 02:01 PM
Post #11

Target

It just heavily depends on the setting and goals of your first run. If you want us to battle a forest invading corp that would be easy because:
The astral characters have a natural binding to the forest and want to preserve it
Jeff is extremly territorial and wants to defend "his" ground
The shepperd as far as I know has had bad experiences with corps and fights them for the sake of disrupting their goals
The survivalist might have reasons to get rid of them aswell or just get stuck in a bad situation and will be saved by either of the above
This should lead to the thought of my enemy's enemy being my friend and thus us grouping up.

Or easiest way: Johnson needs a job done (we don't have rookie runners right?), contacts the shepperd and the shepperd contacts what ever he thinks is required (hopefully the roles the other players fill). This of course requires closer contact with the shepperd as a link.

Perhaps if we have a few altruistic characters, one (e.g. Jeff) could get trapped in town by his enemies and since nobody else is around to help, that altruistic character will save him.

We once introduced a character after a failed run by hiring him to save the runners who failed in the previous run. Something like this would be possible too...

Hope this helped a little and as said there's no great thoughts disguised here and I guess it mainly depends on the setting and run itself

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Nov 4 2011, 06:18 PM
Post #12

Old Man of the North

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,463

Just moved. Settling but have no intenet at home till Tuesday. I will use the library till then. I will get Stogie and Jake up here as soon as I can. I'm excited!

+Quote Post
Tecumseh
post Nov 6 2011, 07:20 AM
Post #13

Runner

It's up! Game on! The first IC post is ready for replies:

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=36198

I'll leave the scene at the meet for a few days to give people a chance to reply. I'm not expecting people to be active over the weekend.

+Quote Post
phlapjack77
post Nov 8 2011, 08:19 AM
Post #14

Runner

Can Smohalla get a Judge Intentions result on Gunny? He seems a little too worked up...

1 hit on Judge Intentions bleah

Follow it up with an Assensing roll: 2 hits on reading an aura

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Nov 8 2011, 05:46 PM
Post #15

Old Man of the North

Stogie takes a look at Gunny's aura.

Assensing 2 + specialization 2 + adept power 4 + INT 5 = 13 dice ==> 6 HITS

That should be able to tell him about Gunny's health, etc.! I'll wait to get info before I post IC for Stogie.

+Quote Post
Tecumseh
post Nov 8 2011, 07:09 PM
Post #16

Runner

You both have messages about what the assensing reveals. Pbangarth, don't forget to post your sheet. I know what Jake looks like (presumably) but not Stogie.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Nov 9 2011, 04:37 AM
Post #17

Old Man of the North

OK. I have internet at my new home, now, so I'll get up to speed.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Nov 9 2011, 04:50 AM
Post #18

Old Man of the North

Sorry, I'm not sure whether we are using the color codes or not. Just force of habit on my first IC post. I will stop if folks don't want to use it.

+Quote Post
Tecumseh
post Nov 9 2011, 07:18 AM
Post #19

Runner

Let's skip the color coding for now; it makes my eyes cross.

I'll give everyone another day to ask questions or make a pose at the meet before moving on. Aerospider is either on his honeymoon right now or he just got back; he'll catch up when he can.

+Quote Post
Tecumseh
post Nov 10 2011, 06:56 AM
Post #20

Runner

So far, so good. Gunny's still technically at the scene if anyone remembers something that they wanted to ask or do before he goes. If not, we can assume that he walks off leaving you to start your planning and recon.

North Bend is not far away if anyone needs to go into town. If not, your current location is close enough to civilization to still have wireless access (i.e. you can make calls).

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Nov 10 2011, 02:59 PM
Post #21

Old Man of the North

I will transfer Stogie and Jake's stats and bio here soon, honest.

For the matter of the conversation with Rosie the Riveter, she is a TerraFirst operative who got Stogie his special shotgun. Her Connection/Loyalty stats for Stogie are 3/2. Stogie's CHA is 3.

+Quote Post
Tecumseh
post Nov 16 2011, 09:28 AM
Post #22

Runner

Ahoy chummers,

Aerospider wrote and let me know that he can't commit to the game right now. Very understandable, given that he just got married. This will impact the game somewhat, as you are all totally doomed without his character for magical support.

No, not really. I originally envisioned this adventure for 3-4 players so you're still golden, especially since Jake brings the count up to 4˝. That said, better be nice to Smohalla now!

Speaking of Smohalla, I don't want to direct things unduly but now might be a good time for him to reach out to his contacts. You're on Sinsearach land right now and Cascade Ork is just a short distance to the north. We didn't establish exactly where Smohalla's contacts are but I'm happy to make them as close (for convenience) or as far away (for adventure) as you want. How you get in touch with them is up to you: you can fly there and speak to them alone, drive there with the team and talk as a group, or travel there astrally and then manifest to have a conversation that way. Or whatever else you think would be appropriate.

Similarly, we didn't identify locations for all of Jeff or Stogie's contacts either. Again, if you feel that one of them would be geographically close or could potentially have some insight into the situation then let me know and I'll be happy to play it out.

Pbangarth, you're undermining either your definition of "soon" or the sincerity of "honest". (Zing!) Let me know if it's your gear/nuyen that's holding you up. If so, we can work through it together to figure out what makes sense for you to have. Feel free to post the elements of your character sheet and background that are available; they can always be edited/updated later.

Keep the posts coming. Ping me with thoughts or questions or post them here.

+Quote Post
Faranji
post Nov 16 2011, 10:49 AM
Post #23

Target

Two questions - or rather one statement and one question (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) :

Question: When am I supposed to roll dice and when not? I generally assume simple commands like sending drones into racks, activating a car or driving it on normal roads as easy enough to skip a test. But e.g. when I start a conversation with somebody: Etiquette yes or no?

Statement: I use a dictionary quite often in the IC thread (this time for cur) so it can happen that there's a really weird word or phrase that just doesn't fit. You are more than welcome to write me a pm so I know that for the future and stop using strange words (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Nov 16 2011, 04:22 PM
Post #24

Old Man of the North

The post in the original thread HERE has had the stats all along. Yes, the gear is what is still left, and a fleshing out of the contacts. No technical, story difficulty, just things here that took precedence.

Good Zing. I deserved it.

Here is a copy of those stats, which copy I will flesh out... soon, honestly.

[ Spoiler ]

All of Stogie's adept powers and Jake's Empowerments are useful on the farm first, and hopefully transferable to the shadows. So, for example, Stogie's Attribute Boosts would be paired, STR and BOD for schlepping stuff around the barn, AGI and REA for hunting for dinner.

Karma earned
[ Spoiler ]

Karma spent
[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
Tecumseh
post Nov 17 2011, 02:06 AM
Post #25

Runner

Pbangarth, thanks for posting your sheet. I had everyone's stats and backgrounds but they were spread out between the forums, PMs, and e-mail. I just wanted them all in one place for easy reference.

Faranji, probably the best guidance I can give about whether to roll dice or not would be that you don't have to if you're attempting to do something routine. You certainly don't need to make a roll to scratch your belly or tie your shoelaces unless you're trying to do so under unusual circumstances, like hanging from the side of a helicopter mid-flight. We will also use the rules for buying hits from page 62 of SR4A. If the situation is "non-threatening and non-stressful" then you can automatically succeed if you can buy enough hits to meet the necessary threshold from the Success Difficulty Table (p. 62 again).

As for Etiquette, it will mostly be used if you're trying to fit in among people who don't know you. I didn't have Stogie roll Etiquette with Rosie the Riveter because she's a contact and there's already an established connection there. He was asking for information that was within the realm of their relationship (as opposed to, say, asking if she was wearing any underwear at the time) and it was information she was willing to share. If he had asked her to do something that she didn't want to or that might put her in an awkward position then I would have called for an opposed roll to see if he could win her over.

Faranji, as for your use of the dictionary, I rarely understand what Jeff is saying. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Given that your OOC language is clear and unencumbered, I mostly assume that Jeff is just staying in character. Feel free to clarify OOCly if the translation is critical to our understanding of the situation, but otherwise you can bust out with as much gibberish as you like.

+Quote Post

50 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:28 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.