Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Matrix Overwatch, Validated Accounts & You
Erebus
post Apr 6 2004, 07:04 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,872

After following much of the idiot's guide to the matrix thread, and re-reading the bit on validated accounts in the Matrix books, why on earth would anyone attempt (or want )to do overwatch without a "validated" security account?

It seems to me that the only time you would run without "validated" accounts is for the recon runs when you want to go get one, or if you only need to do something relatively straight forward in the system, and don't plan on being there that long.

Validated accounts allow deckers to perform system operations without having to make system tests.... which means no buildup of security tallys, unless of course the action your doing isn't allowed via that type of account.

Never underestimate the power of an illegally "Validated" Security-Level account.... And if you want to go for the Gold and show what your really made of, snag a Super-User level one instead.... :cyber:

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Apr 6 2004, 07:13 PM
Post #2

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Yep, validating is pretty keen. If you're popping in and out real quick it's usually not worth the bother, but any extended amount of time it's definitely worth a try. There is, maybe, a bit of ambiguity about what a security level passcode allows, so if a GM is being troubled by their players doing this this they can try to push them toward the superuser account, but being a valid icon really helps combat on those red hosts.
It's basically one really hard test to replace a lot of easier ones. Whenever I design a host, control is almost always one of the better subsystem ratings.

p.s. I apologize for my grossly inarticulate thoughts, it's almost time to go home.

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Apr 6 2004, 07:19 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

The reason why it isn't done so often is because frequently "Control" is the highest sub system on a host and Validating Add's 2 the that figure and Superuser adds 6.

+Quote Post
Gorath
post Apr 6 2004, 09:46 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,292

Whats the best starting overwatch decker?

Skills:

Computer 6

Utilities:

Spoof 6 (if you did not get a account that gives you access to all cameras, doors, etc.)
Deception 6
Validate 6 [Sneak 6 option] (validate an account on recon, return with your team an account)
Remote Control X (use some drones in captains chair mode...)

Deck:

MPCP-8 Deck (if allowed, else a MPCP-6)
Masking 6

Anything else that would improve overwatch?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 6 2004, 11:20 PM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

spoof. for overwatch, you'll be hitting the slave subsystem a lot.

+Quote Post
Digital Heroin
post Apr 6 2004, 11:26 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 4,302

Battletac Matrix Link is only for sharing info with other deckers, neh?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 6 2004, 11:32 PM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

stupid, but true. personally, i don't see why the decker--drawing feeds from multiple security cameras--can't use it to shoot orders and warnings to his meat teammates, but them's the rules.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Apr 6 2004, 11:55 PM
Post #8

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

...i don't see why the decker--drawing feeds from multiple security cameras--can't use it to shoot orders and warnings to his meat teammates, but them's the rules.

Wouldn't Commlink allow that provided the teammate[s] had a phone?

+Quote Post
Gorath
post Apr 7 2004, 07:33 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Oh my god, its true:

QUOTE (Matrix @ p. 72, last paragraph)
... A character in the matrix may not give a bonus to characters not in the Matrix through the BattleTac link, and vice versa.

I never read the description carefully because i asumed it could work together with all other BattleTac units. So this is a total useless tool for a single decker.

So Small Unit Tactics is crap for a decker. I am asking me, if the decker could feed some BattleTac Master unit channels with video data to give someone outside of the Matrix a bonus to his Small Unit Tactics check for the others not in the Matrix...

Comlink gives you the possibility to give those orders and infos but you could not use BattleTac for your Small Unit Skill. I am asking me, if a decker would use Small Unit Tactics via Comlink and had all security cameras spoofed, is in contact with his allies via Comlink, what is the TN for his Small Unit Tactics test?

+Quote Post
Voran
post Apr 7 2004, 08:42 AM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 6,099

I think in a wierd way it might be related to different time frames in matrix vs real combat settings. It may be difficult to sync them up. Then again, I dunno :) It may be one of those random rules.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 7 2004, 09:55 AM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

the TN would be 6. -2 if you've got a BattleTac cyberlink.

+Quote Post
Namergon
post Apr 7 2004, 12:28 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 639

QUOTE (Voran)
I think in a wierd way it might be related to different time frames in matrix vs real combat settings.

There's no such thing, at least during Combat (use of Combat Turns of 3 sec.).

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Apr 7 2004, 01:15 PM
Post #13

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

QUOTE (Gorath @ Apr 7 2004, 02:33 AM)
Oh my god, its true:

QUOTE (Matrix @  p. 72, last paragraph)
... A character in the matrix may not give a bonus to characters not in the Matrix through the BattleTac link, and vice versa.

I never read the description carefully because i asumed it could work together with all other BattleTac units. So this is a total useless tool for a single decker.

SUT can come in handy for a decker that "runs" with frames or agents, however, if they have the battle tac utility. Then, the programs can send and receive tactical information and the decker/program team can receive the bonuses.

As for the original poster's comment on Validate: yes, validate can destroy your GMs day. That's why I always make Control the highest subsystem on my hosts. Further, I force the player to tell me what type of account he wants to access and then determine which slaves he can access. For example, if they want to see floorplans, they might have to create a janitor's account, but that would not give them access to door locks, alarms, pressure plates, cameras, etc. However, if they created a security account like a door man or lobby security, then they would have some cameras and the front lobby area locks under their control but not the rest of the building. So on and so forth. I made this ruling because of the * that appears after some of the operations listed in the ones a validated account can use. The * later on says that not all of the utilities listed are available to all validated accounts. The moment that your decker goes outside of his validated operations, she/he starts to generate a tally and can be thwacked with IC. Plus, and this is my interpretation, someone who starts to generate a tally but has a legitimate icon on the host would probably be odd enough to start to draw the attention of security deckers, especially if passive alert is hit.

+Quote Post
Gorath
post Apr 7 2004, 10:57 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

But IF a decker can make one account, he can jack out. Come back without tally and get other accounts easy.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 8 2004, 12:39 AM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

theoretically, yes. however, i never allow this--if a decker causes enough of a ruckus to activate IC, then the account will be shut down in (successes)d6 hours, rather than days. activating IC is something that a security decker will investigate--maybe not immediately, but at some point during the day. it's just common sense.

+Quote Post
Gorath
post Apr 8 2004, 08:17 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

of course, if a decker starts to get a tally with his account it will get check very soon. But if you just go in to validate an norma caaount. You get a tally before you got the account. Then you log in with this account and don't have a tally. Now you can try to get a harder (security or superuser) account. So this starting account may be detected soon. BUt perhaps you have enough time to use the su-account for overwatch.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 8 2004, 09:10 AM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

hm. these security tally rules get dumber every time i look at them. each character that logs onto a host supposedly generates a seperate security tally, and IC activated by one decker's sec tal generally only attacks that decker (Matrix p110). however, any decker that logs onto a host after another decker has run up any amount of security tally automatically starts off with a security tally equal to the first decker's (SR3 p212).

what kind of insane gabbldygook is that? if A and B are decking a host at the same time, any sec tal A generates doesn't apply to B. but if C logs on while A and B are doing their thang, he gets gangraped by fresh copies of any IC that A and B activated--even though the only thing he's done is log on!

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Apr 8 2004, 09:37 AM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Starting to make more sense, by saying the very decker has it's own tally, but can get effected by Ic that other deckers activate.

Example: Noob decker N and Hot shot Decker H are both in a system, N starts doing their thing and makes a ruckus, activating IC left right and center, H now has to tread even more carefully cos there's IC looking for anomlies any in fact.

Just a thought.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 8 2004, 09:40 AM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

nope. IC activated by N doesn't bother H unless H decides to attack said IC, or otherwise unmask his presence to it. i suppose you could have the IC roll to notice H's icon, but that means rolling against H's Masking plus Sleaze. most IC will have a hard time detecting N, much less H.

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Apr 8 2004, 09:57 AM
Post #20

Shooting Target

Actually i was thinking more about the effcets of Probe, my bad should of said that. But i know N activating IC doesn't bother H, it just seems like H should have to be a little more carefull.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 8 2004, 10:08 AM
Post #21

Immortal Elf

same problem--Probe won't affect H unless it's detected him, which is improbable at best.

i agree--H should have to be a little more careful. but, by the rules, he doesn't have to be. unless, of course, he's just logging on, in which case he'll be mobbed by god knows how many pieces of IC.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Apr 8 2004, 01:35 PM
Post #22

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

I generally ignore that rule (the one about new deckers getting the same tally as the system) because of the rule in Matrix that says that each decker gets their own tally. I've always concidered that the Matrix rule supercedes the SR3 rule because they don't make sense at the same time.

However, the exception -- there's always one -- is system alerts. If the host is on Passive alert because of Stoopid Newbie Decker A and Whiz-Bang Decker B logs on, the TNs are still +2 for B even though B doesn't have a tally (IMNSOHO).

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Apr 8 2004, 07:29 PM
Post #23

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

I agree. One decker's tally has no effect on the other's, but universal things like alert status and security deckers still make it a bad day for the second decker.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Apr 8 2004, 09:09 PM
Post #24

Decker on the Threshold

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,156

QUOTE (Gorath)
[...]
Validate 6 [Stealth 6 option] (validate an account on recon, return with your team an account)
[...]

Er, Validate 6 with Stealth 6 costs 1.296 MILLION nuyen. No way does a starting character have that.

Personally I don't see the problem with using Validate. That's always a damn hard test to hit, and your average starting decker is almost never going to be able to validate an account on anything Orange-hard or worse. At least that's my understanding, although I've never played a decker. Limits on anything but a superuser account will usually keep your decker from being too Matrix-happy anyway. There are lots of other tricks at your disposal, like chokepoints and virtual hosts, that Validate can't get you past as well.

Besides, if someone plonked down over one and a quarter million :nuyen: for a program they ought to at least be able to enjoy it. You know how many increases to Int and your Hacking Pool you can get for less than that?

+Quote Post
Gorath
post Apr 9 2004, 10:26 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Why, did i calcualte wrong? It has a 12 for size, and 6 for price. ==> 12^2*200=144*200=28800

Please check in your Matrix Sourcebook for adding options to programs too. What is the maximum rating a starting option can have? NO? 6? Any?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:30 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.